• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, we post pictures of our cats.

Forsete

My cat leeching heat from the modem.

6062239472_a85a5b10c5_z_d.jpg

She even sleeps there. :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hehe, those cats are super round and friendly looking!

2v9yr0k.jpg

My new baby, CoCo.

My older 1 year cat doesn't like her, but not all the time. They sleep together and cuddle, but rest of the day they fight...

And she's sprayed me whilst I was lying on my bed :(

I've had it with my cat Gaf. Someone suggested that as a cat ages you should move on to wet food because their teeth get sensative or brittle. What a mistake.
He now meows all day and nearly all night long to be fed. Walks towards the kitchen once you get up from the couch meowing. Try and go back to the dry food and he wont even eat.
We just went away for five days to come back to his shit all over our bed. He never did that in his previous 14 years. We get a new comforter and leave the door open thinking he was just pissed at us that one time but what do you know he shits on the new comforter the first opportunity he gets.
Now we have to keep our bed room door shut and listen to his non stop meowing nearly 24/7. Can't stand him anymore. What to do?

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Hey Cat-GAF, I have a question.

I'd like to take care of a cat, but I'm a student with about 29m² of space.
Besides that, I'm out 'till 6PM almost every day and gone during the weekends...
Just typing this reconfirms my thought that I'd be a horrible cat owner and shouldn't let a cat go through all that loneliness.

Are there cats though that don't give a fuck about that and would appreciate the quietness around him for long periods of time?

Tijnisch said:
Hey Cat-GAF, I have a question.

I'd like to take care of a cat, but I'm a student with about 29m² of space.
Besides that, I'm out 'till 6PM almost every day and gone during the weekends...
Just typing this reconfirms my thought that I'd be a horrible cat owner and shouldn't let a cat go through all that loneliness.

Are there cats though that don't give a fuck about that and would appreciate the quietness around him for long periods of time?
Hey Tijnisch. I honestly would go for it. I've got about 60 squared meters of space and two very active 8 month old kittens. The only problem I see with space is that depending on the distribution of your place it may end up smelling a bit because of the litter box, but as long as you clean it at least twice a day (before leaving for school and once you come back) and change the box every 10 days or so I don't think you'll have a problem. Ideally you should change it once a week but unfortunately clay doesn't come cheap.

As for the problem of solitude, get ready to read the craziest advice: get two kittens at once. I leave for work at about 8 in the morning each day and get back home pretty much at 8pm so I understand where you're coming from. At first I adopted one kitten because I thought I'd go crazy with two of them and I thought I couldn't fit them in my apartment. But then after the first month I realized that he was too lonely and every night when I came home he wanted to play with me all night long and I was too tired to play past 11pm. So I decided to get a second kitten and I was lucky enough to find one of his biological sisters still unadopted. So if you're truly worried about your kitten being lonely most of the day, the best advice I can offer you, as crazy as it sounds, is to get two kittens at the same time. That way they'll keep each other company and happy. If money is a concern (as it usually is) try to adopt kittens that have already received at least the first set of vaccines, that way you won't have to start spending money right away (well, except for food).

:D Give it some thought and consult your wallet, I'm sure you'll be a great human to your kittens.

Jugendstil said:
Guys, look what I got in the mail today:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RhRZwXgUL._SS500_.jpg

Maru's book! All hail Maru, king of cats!
Where did you get this from? :D I'd love to give it as a present to my GF.
[edit] Quick google search took me to Amazon. Awesome!

Zoe

Cats do really well on their own. They can take care of themselves as long as they have food, water, and a place to poop. We've left our cat alone for a little over a week before without any incident.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Zoe said:
Cats do really well on their own. They can take care of themselves as long as they have food, water, and a place to poop. We've left our cat alone for a little over a week before without any incident.

How did you manage that in terms of clean cat litter and food?

Zoe

Toma said:
How did you manage that in terms of clean cat litter and food?

For food we have one of those feeders that has the dry food coming out of a big jug.

For the litterbox... yeah it was pretty stinky when we came back, but she was still using it. You can always set out an extra box.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Zoe said:
For the litterbox... yeah it was pretty stinky when we came back, but she was still using it. You can always set out an extra box.

So she was digging in her own shit and piss for a week then licking it off herself? Nice.

Zoe said:
For food we have one of those feeders that has the dry food coming out of a big jug.

I left my cats alone for 2 days and when I came back the whole house smelt of shit. It was disgusting I almost couldn't stay in

Kitten shit STINKS

Zoe

xelios said:
So she was digging in her own shit and piss for a week then licking it off herself? Nice.

Dunno about your cat, but mine tends to keep herself and the litterbox tidy.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This was a stray we've been taking care of, trying to find a home for. At first he was totally freaked out by the dog, but now he'll even sleep with him on the couch.

cat%252526dog.jpg

xelios

Zoe said:
Dunno about your cat, but mine tends to keep herself and the litterbox tidy.

So your cat scoops the shit and piss out of her litter box to avoid digging around in it when something's been buried everywhere, like say, after a couple days or a week in this instance?

You're either daft or have a brilliant cat.

And of course cats keep themselves tidy, that's why it's so terrible that you'd let her dig around in her own waste for a week.

Zoe

xelios said:
So your cat scoops the shit and piss out of her litter box to avoid digging around in it when something's been buried everywhere, like say, after a couple days or a week in this instance?

You're either daft or have a brilliant cat.

She generally goes in the same spots, covers it up well, and I've never found anything on her paws.

xelios

Zoe said:
She generally goes in the same spots, covers it up well, and I've never found anything on her paws.

You're missing the point. A week. Unless your litter box is the size of a pool table, and especially if she generally goes in the same spots then after a week they're all full and she is unavoidably digging in her own waste.

Of course you don't find anything on her paws after being gone for a week; cats will eat their own shit if that's what it takes to stay clean. The more you know!

xelios said:
You're missing the point. A week. Unless your litter box is the size of a pool table, and especially if she generally goes in the same spots then after a week they're all full and she is unavoidably digging in her own waste.

Of course you don't find anything on her paws after being gone for a week; cats will eat their own shit if that's what it takes to stay clean. The more you know!

And dogs will eat their own shit because they like the taste.

or something.

Zoe

xelios said:

Does your cat have chronic runs or something? Cause that's the only way mine would be stepping in her shit. And the magic of clumping litter means the pee doesn't go everywhere.

slider

Zoe said:
Does your cat have chronic runs or something? Cause that's the only way mine would be stepping in her shit. And the magic of clumping litter means the pee doesn't go everywhere.

Heh, you know your cat better than me but if I'd left my tiny cat alone for a week her tray would be swamped. And she was a tiny cat (but with an awful lot of fur that made her look fat!). Does your cat have an unusually large tray?

Still, this is going nowhere I guess. You saw the tray when you got back so it's all good.

xelios

Zoe said:

No, but cats shit and piss rather frequently just like humans, and you like to flush your toilet far more frequently than once in a week, do you not? I feel sorry for your cat that you can't afford her the same courtesy and would let her wallow in her own waste for a week.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom