• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've been checking out 80s-90s rock music I missed from my younger years lately(because I was shallow). A lot of stuff I really love, like Nirvana

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Basically, when I was younger I never listened to any rock or alternative rock because like many city neighborhoods in those days, we had our friend groups and neighborhood friend groups that would clash with one another and the group we always clashed with were the skateboarder kids that wore Vans and JNCO jeans and smoked pot all the time and would crowd up our local basketball courts with their skateboard hangouts instead of actually using the courts as they were intended--you know, to play basketball. So we'd always clash with them over stuff like this, and being the shallow kid that I was, I never listened to rock or alternative rock because that was the music they were always listening to and I didn't want to be like them. Everyone I knew or knew of back in the day who listened to that kind of music did drugs and were emo, so I always associated that kind of music with them. Weird, I know, but whatever. So I basically skipped over multiple entire genres of music from my youth years. And then as I got older, I stopped listening to more mainstream music altogether, so it kind of passed me by entirely.

But I've been going back and checking out some songs and bands and I've really found some amazing songs that I love. So far Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead are my favorites. I love Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's a great song. I remember it being super popular back in the day, I can see why. Something in the Way has this haunting nature to it that I just love. Big fan of Creep by Radiohead. Also found some songs I really like from Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Foo Fighters.

Not sure if anyone listens to this kind of music anymore, I don't really follow mainstream music at all. And I mean that. Like, all the popular artists, most of them I've never heard a single song from any of them. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift.. I didn't even know who Ed Sheeran was until he was on Game of Thrones and I heard people saying "That's Ed Sheeran!" It seems like new age rap, pop, etc are the big things now, so I don't know if people still listen to 80s-90s rock anymore. Regardless, it's new to me since I've never really heard any of this stuff before.

Curious if anyone here likes any of the bands I mentioned and if you are still into that kind of music. Also, if you can recommend any other bands like those from that era.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
There's a lot to explore in '90s alt rock and grunge and similar styles since then. Try Soundgarden, Audioslave, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Alice in Chains, Bush, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Blur, Silversun Pickups, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Interpol, Pixies...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Nirvana is one of my favorite groups. The truth is, the music from the 80s to the 00s is great.

I really tried to listen to current bands, but they are pure shit.

Although many kids of the current generation say they like Peso pluma or that shit, the truth is I don't understand if there are great groups like Nirvana, Garbage, Linkin Park, Red hot chilli peppers, Rammstein... I say to the best the tastes have changed. denigrated

Mistake

Gold Member
There's a lot to explore in '90s alt rock and grunge and similar styles since then. Try Soundgarden, Audioslave, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Alice in Chains, Bush, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Blur, Silversun Pickups, Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Interpol, Pixies...
Here's a photo I found of some I've been meaning to go through as well. I'll check out the ones you listed when I have the time. Would probably help my dating if I'm more familiar with this stuff too :messenger_grinning_smiling:
igX2NTJ.jpeg

winjer

Don't forget to check out Alice In Chains, they have great songs like "Rooster", "We die young", "Them Bones"

Also, listen to some Deftones. Their albums "White Pony" and "Deftones" are very good.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Cake has a few classics

This song was everywhere for awhile
So do The presidents of the united states. Peaches is awesome

Primus famously does the opening for South Park and this diddy:

Blur:

Last edited:

Wildebeest

If you are just starting out, the album you need is Doolittle by The Pixies. Pixies are famous for making that song from Fight Club about fishes and shit. Then move onto Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Don't sleep on Alice In Chains.

The highlights:

Jar Of Flies
Rotten Apple, Nutshell, I Stay Away, No Excuses, Whale & Wasp, Don't Follow​

Dirt
Them Bones, Rain When I Die, Down In A Hole, Rooster, Would?​

Facelift
We Die Young, Man In The Box, Sea Of Sorrow, Bleed The Freak, Love Hate Love, Sunshine​

SAP
Brother, Got Me Wrong, Right Turn, Am I Inside​

Alice In Chains Self-Titled aka 'Tripod' or 'Dog'
Brush Away, Heaven Beside You, Over Now​

MTV Unplugged
Nutshell, Brother, No Excuses, Down In A Hole, Angry Chair, Rooster, Got Me Wrong, Heaven Beside You, Would?, Over Now​

For Pearl Jam, I think their debut "Ten" is their masterpiece. It's a perfect end to end album. If you haven't already; I recommend just sticking it on at the beginning, nice and loud and going all the way through (making sure not to miss the "Master / Slave" hidden track at the end which bookends the album perfectly in conjunction with Once's intro. If you can, get an original CD or Vinyl for the much less compressed mastering. The original Rick Parashar mix is stronger too imo, the newer Redux version is dry and dull.

Also, if you haven't yet, make sure to check out the rescanned-in-4K videos for Even Flow & Jeremy; the latter especially is a lot more powerful with the video (warning, features self-harm):

Their Unplugged is excellent too.

For Nirvana, one of my faves is the closing track of their Unplugged. A cover of Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night":

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nevermind OP. It’s never too late.

Check out the prodigy.

On a more serious note I’ve discussed this with my boy. I do feel old saying this but back in the 90’s you had MTV VH1 then had to take a chance on buying an album because you liked few songs by the group/band etc

If you wanted to explore more you had to spend your hard earned money buy an album from a magazine review or from a snobby music shop staff member.

Now you have streaming or YouTube you can explore to your hearts content.

Oh today I want to listen to the Mongolian top 40 done.

Last edited:

farmerboy

DragoonKain DragoonKain

Dude.
Duude.
Duuuude.

You're gonna have a ball discovering all that is about to be revealed to you.

The genre is so large that Spotify or Tidal or whichever streaming platform you use is where it's at. Just let the algorithm keep pushing stuff your way.

I'm from Australia and a lot of smaller bands never quite made it here, so I never really heard them till I came across them on Tidal. Stuff like Candlebox or The Toadies.

Enjoy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've been going back and checking out some songs and bands and I've really found some amazing songs that I love. So far Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead are my favorites. Big fan of Creep by Radiohead. Also found some songs I really like from Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Foo Fighters.

To some degree you've sort of hit on the biggest bands of the era, and the ones that have been mentioned here already would cover most people's top tens of the time so I don't feel a burning need to add to your listening list of stuff from the 90s, but I hope you have fun!

Despite the fact that

current bands are pure shit.

I'm going to take a chance anyway and say the latest Bring Me The Horizon is drowning in 90s reference points, while still being from the modern era. It might be fun for people who are recommending bands to listen to something that's new, but is in this album grounded elsewhere.

Check out Youtopia and you might find yourself wondering if it's time to Be Quiet and Drive or to Rock like a Cherub. :LOL:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Corrosion of Conformity

Straight Line Stitch

Pro-Pain

Drain STH

Helmet

The list is literally endless. 90's rock was UNSTOPPABLE coming out of the hair metal 80's and synth drenched pop stuff that fused with all the 70's inspired metal with just the right amount of grunge.

SirTerry-T

Hüsker Dü

The Replacements.

Two of Americas plaid shirts wearing finest ...you can add The Screaming Trees to that list too

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

It’s great when you can go back and find just piles of stuff you can enjoy. I’m doing the same thing but with Country music right now. I never listened to it as a kid but love it now. Just folded it in with my other stuff.

Not going to be a popular opinion I think Nirvana is one of most over rated bands ever. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of their music and I don’t deny their impact, but a bunch of their music just sucks and some of their fans seem to love everything or just deny that anything they ever did wasn’t great

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Creep is very funny, it's Radiohead's biggest song and yet far, far from their best song. A lot of fans hate it and most fans with a brain will tell you the album it's from is easily the worst.

Listen to The Bends in full for what most closely resembles other 90s rock, but still a cut above, and then listen to OK Computer for the start of "real Radiohead" and what's arguably the greatest album of all time.

8bitpill

60's, 70's, 80's and 90's came some of the most artistically written modern music.

I remember when this came out, and my kid mind was blown away because I never heard anything like it before.

Danzig was a solid part of the early 90's

My personal favorite when I was a kid, teen, and in my adult years is NIN,

some of my favorite memories came from driving around during the weekends in the 80's with my father and listen to 60 and 70's rock, heavy rock and metal.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

It’s great when you can go back and find just piles of stuff you can enjoy. I’m doing the same thing but with Country music right now. I never listened to it as a kid but love it now. Just folded it in with my other stuff.

Not going to be a popular opinion I think Nirvana is one of most over rated bands ever. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of their music and I don’t deny their impact, but a bunch of their music just sucks and some of their fans seem to love everything or just deny that anything they ever did wasn’t great
I don't think that's an overly controversial opinion, Nirvana were just the band that caught the public's attention. There were bands before and during the "grunge" thing that were just as valid and important to music as Nirvana.

Toons

Im getting into metallica as an adult lol. Id never heard most of their songs before then, just not what I grew up listening too. Same with RHCP

Audiophile

If you wanna lighten it up, Hootie & The Blowfish's "Cracked Rear View" (1994) is full of uplifting bangers:

(click through for track timecodes in videos description)

Last edited:

nkarafo

I wish i was in your shoes. To somehow forget all the 90's songs i know of and experience them for the first time again.

You are in for a treat.

Speaking of Radiohead, this is the best song of all time:

Last edited:
Don't forget the legend that is Mark Lanegan

This is the version that inspired Kurt to sing it during the MTV Unplugged performance

I loved mark lanegan. The screaming trees along with L7 were the reasons I went to reading in 92, but sad I never saw him again (I did have the opportunity to do the door for him a few years back but couldn't be fucked at the time).

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Wild to me that anyone could grow up at that time and miss Nirvana. That felt like our Beatles.

I was definitely a punk/alternative kid although I liked hip hop as well. Went to a super diverse high school.

As the 90s went on mainstream alternative kind of reduced itself to self parody with all the Korn and Papa Roach and Limp Bizkit acts, but there was always a lot of amazing stuff happening. Here's some stuff you might miss if you only listening to MTV bands:

Last edited:

YCoCg

I've got to shout out some Soundgarden cuts

Plus here's a little known gem if you're a fan of Guns 'N Roses tracks, if you want to know how they would've sounded into the mid to late 90s then the band Outpatience was that, this song even has both Slash and Axl Rose on it:

Toots

Gold Member
Basically, when I was younger I never listened to any rock or alternative rock because like many city neighborhoods in those days, we had our friend groups and neighborhood friend groups that would clash with one another and the group we always clashed with were the skateboarder kids that wore Vans and JNCO jeans and smoked pot all the time and would crowd up our local basketball courts with their skateboard hangouts instead of actually using the courts as they were intended--you know, to play basketball. So we'd always clash with them over stuff like this, and being the shallow kid that I was, I never listened to rock or alternative rock because that was the music they were always listening to and I didn't want to be like them. Everyone I knew or knew of back in the day who listened to that kind of music did drugs and were emo, so I always associated that kind of music with them. Weird, I know, but whatever. So I basically skipped over multiple entire genres of music from my youth years. And then as I got older, I stopped listening to more mainstream music altogether, so it kind of passed me by entirely.

But I've been going back and checking out some songs and bands and I've really found some amazing songs that I love. So far Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead are my favorites. I love Smells Like Teen Spirit, it's a great song. I remember it being super popular back in the day, I can see why. Something in the Way has this haunting nature to it that I just love. Big fan of Creep by Radiohead. Also found some songs I really like from Nine Inch Nails, The Smashing Pumpkins, The Foo Fighters.

Not sure if anyone listens to this kind of music anymore, I don't really follow mainstream music at all. And I mean that. Like, all the popular artists, most of them I've never heard a single song from any of them. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift.. I didn't even know who Ed Sheeran was until he was on Game of Thrones and I heard people saying "That's Ed Sheeran!" It seems like new age rap, pop, etc are the big things now, so I don't know if people still listen to 80s-90s rock anymore. Regardless, it's new to me since I've never really heard any of this stuff before.

Curious if anyone here likes any of the bands I mentioned and if you are still into that kind of music. Also, if you can recommend any other bands like those from that era.
If you're into grunge listen to Alice in chains and Janes addiction (which isn't grunge but sufficiently adjacent maybe).

Also Silverchair first album was fun.

ANyway if you want a shot of everything that was the 90s at once, listen to this

Pakoe

Yo I had the same epiphany 2 years ago and went through a whole rock phase. I ended up buying a electric guitar and playing Metal.
Hell, Slipknot is my most played artist right now on Spotify. Psychosocial is on repeat.
Mind you, I just to be a hip hop only person with some Linkin Park sprinkled here and there.
I used to make fun of kids listening to this music, yes I was an asshole and regret it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom