• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've ben kept in the dark for too long, my music taste sucks:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ok, for most of the time I have been listening to music, it has been groups like Linkin Park and limp bizkit. Well, things have slightly changed. My friend introduced me to Metallica and I really liked them. Ive also heard some Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins and have really really liked them, but those 2 groups arent enough. I need some, or a lot of recommendations for bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Alice in Chains. DON'T mention pink floyd or led zepplin becuase I dont likne them.

btw, you are allowed to make fun of my bad music taste.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
there is only 1 led zepplin song I like and thats stairway to heaven. Ive listened to about 1 or 2 pink floyd songs so maybe some recommendations of Pink Floyds better songs might be useful.

THE CURE
THE CURE
THE CURE

One of the greatest bands of all-time.

They can get you to rock out and make you cry...sometimes in the same song. Even better is that if you're learning to play guitar(like me)...you can play along to their (mostly) easy songs but don't get me wrong...the songs sound really good.

nitewulf

psycho_snake said:
Ok, for most of the time I have been listening to music, it has been groups like Linkin Park and limp bizkit. Well, things have slightly changed. My friend introduced me to Metallica and I really liked them. Ive also heard some Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins and have really really liked them, but those 2 groups arent enough. I need some, or a lot of recommendations for bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Alice in Chains. DON'T mention pink floyd or led zepplin becuase I dont likne them.

btw, you are allowed to make fun of my bad music taste.

i see what the problem is, you are in that angsty everything sucks stage. also try pearl jam, nirvana, megadeth, meatpuppets, soundgarden.

etiolate

Banned
First hit the early 90s like you already have started with. Megadeth, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Faith No More and probally some Tool. Might as well do the 80s with The Cure, The Clash, Depeche Mode, Blondie and New Order. Now let's go where we left off with New Order. So far you have done the radio bands that were good, now lets do post-punk. Joy Division. Once you can appreciate them then you are ready for much else. Also, check out the good recent bands while the record industry still cares about them. I suggest The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand and The Shins.

If at some point you don't come to enjoy Pink Floyd and Led Zepp through all of this, go buy a bunch of early 90s stuff, a bunch of alcohol and a bunch of bullets with appropriate firing arm.

PS: I nearly almost forgot. R.E.M. Listen, NOW!

+1 Ben Folds

When in doubt look to the 90's.

Some albums I'd recommend:

Ben Folds Five - The Unauthorized Biography Of Reinhold Messner
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Sublime - 40oz to Freedom
Radiohead - ok Computer
Pearl Jam - No Code

Willco

Hollywood Square
YOU WILL PROBABLY LIKE THE FOLLOWING BANDS:

MAROON 5
HILARY DUFF
MICHELLE BRANCH
BLINK 182
NICKELBACK
EVANESCENCE

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You're right. Your music taste does suck.

You just need to start over entirely. Listen to The Beatles to start.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I recommend these ablums...

Air - Talkie Walkie
Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album
The Postal Service - Give up
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Notwist - Neon Golden
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People
The Decemberists - Castaways & Cutouts
- Her Majesty the Decemberists

You may not like them because they are a very different style than the stuff you mentioned, but as some others have said you just need to start over completely. You sound like a little kid who only likes one kind of food. Start with things somewhat similar (in this case the connecting element is distorted guitars) but still different and then branch out into all kinds of genres. Who knows, one day you may be listening to smooth jazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom