• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's every network show ever, though, including the one in your avatar.

That's... actually true. I can't think of any network shows that haven't done that. It's not a complaint or anything; it's actually in support of the show that I love it despite that feeling.

Sidenote, PoI is probably not the best example for that argument; it kind of drags a bit on a first viewing when you don't really know the characters and it's still developing its humor. It gets a lot better, obviously, and those first few episodes are meaningful in hindsight. I'm just finding Liv and Ravi very likable right from the get-go, and I guess Blaine even though he's not really likable, just a great charismatic villain.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
oh god that would be horrible :/
Its kind of inevitable that he will learn the secret at some point, it would be kind of stupid if he just kept thinking she was an eerily pale and accurate psychic with massive mood swings for more than a season.

Geist-

Its kind of inevitable that he will learn the secret at some point, it would be kind of stupid if he just kept thinking she was an eerily pale and accurate psychic with massive mood swings for more than a season.

More believable than brain-eating zombie honestly. I know a few people as pale as Liv IRL.

Enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. It's been excellent so far. Kind of lukewarm regarding Clive though.

How closely is this following the comics?

Geist-

Enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. It's been excellent so far. Kind of lukewarm regarding Clive though.

How closely is this following the comics?

Looked it up on wikipedia, looks like none at all considering 2 of the other main characters are a ghost and a were-terrier (WTF?). Pretty sure the creators said they were sticking to just zombies as far as supernatural is concerned.

Yeah, it's gotta be addressed at some point. I get the sense that he doesn't actually believe that Liv is a psychic, but he's a friggin' detective. It doesn't make sense that he isn't asking more questions!

It's a CW show. If Flash and Arrow are anything to go by, everyone and their mothers are going to know her secret by the end of the season... except Major.

obin_gam

You want Clive gone? He's great.

He just feels unnecessary. And the actor has zero charisma, especially noticable when he's standing besides Liv or Ravi. The show can live on without him. Just have Liv be a P.I. who tags along or follow police investigations.

TripOpt55

Good episode. I don't think the traits she picked up were as good as previous weeks to be honest, but it was still a fun episode. As others have mentioned, the meathead guys were great and I enjoyed most everything with Blaine this week. Ravi and Major buddying up was good fun too. Some lines I liked:

Ravi: "Oh look they actually have the whorey version of Memento."
Clive: "Have you been having one of your little voodoo film festivals up in there."
Liv: "I don’t know how many Take Back the Night self-defense seminars they gave at your sorority house, but I could pretty much take out Batman with a spiral notebook and a student ID card."

rude

Banned
Considering that this is the CW, I wonder how long it's going to take for the writers to incorporate the comic's other supernatural stuff into the show. Or maybe they might take a different route altogether?

anaron

Dragging on with "secrets" for many seasons has never been smart writing.
that's why I'm saying I doubt it's going to be one for more than S1. I could very easily see major finding out in the finale

also S2 is all but confirmed with the show's ratings :)

-Deimos

The people Blaine is turning are being oddly cooperative. There seems to be a good number of them now, I wonder how long until word gets out of the zombie apocalypse.

aku:jiki

This show is pretty cute. The main actress does a good job at capturing the different personalities she inherits from week to week.
Huh. I came here to make the exact opposite comment. I feel like they've written her to have character changes each week, but the actress does damn near nothing to portray these changes. I guess it was crazy of me to hope for something closer to Orphan Black.

Show is all right otherwise. Nothing especially amazing, but amusing enough. I like Ravi.

Just have Liv be a P.I. who tags along or follow police investigations.
Haha, the show already is Veronica Mars 2.0. It doesn't need to be VM2.5.

Hamlet

Fun episode and so much great banter. Those two Zombie bodybuilders were great, shame they got taken out so fast "Don't startle them. They're thinking"
Love how they're actually showing Blaine's Zombie operation. Looks like a nice setup for Blaine so far.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I always cringe when characters talk about video games though, and who the fuck uses a Windforce in D3? Show is great though, loving every second of it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So has Ravi being English been mentioned at all in the show? I don't remember it being brought up even though he has an obvious English accent.

Geist-

So has Ravi being English been mentioned at all in the show? I don't remember it being brought up even though he has an obvious English accent.

Not so far, pretty sure the only part they mentioned about his past is that he used to work for the CDC.

Razmos

I always cringe when characters talk about video games though, and who the fuck uses a Windforce in D3? Show is great though, loving every second of it.
I was like "They aren't even max level yet, what the shit"

It would be awesome if they did introduce some more supernatural elements to the show, if only to see Ravi trying to rationalize it.

Many upper class people from India speak with a British accent. When they colonized the country, the British set up some schools for privileged students and it spread from there. One of the guys I went to school with had a English / Indian hybrid accent and thats where it came from.

Clevinger

Been catching up on this show and it's pretty damn fun. Rose McIver's really great and makes the show.

Also, Horny Liv >>>> Anything

v00cTM3.gif

Huh. I came here to make the exact opposite comment. I feel like they've written her to have character changes each week, but the actress does damn near nothing to portray these changes. I guess it was crazy of me to hope for something closer to Orphan Black.

Show is all right otherwise. Nothing especially amazing, but amusing enough. I like Ravi.

Haha, the show already is Veronica Mars 2.0. It doesn't need to be VM2.5.

I thought this week and last she had major changes to her mannerism. She isnt supposed to be a completely different person like orphan black. She not a different person, just has some of her traits amped up. I like, and the actor has been killing it with the subtle changes. I wonder if she can make a smoothy and get multiple powers at once.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Been catching up on this show and it's pretty damn fun. Rose McIver's really great and makes the show.

Also, Horny Liv >>>> Anything

v00cTM3.gif

Her facial expressions kill me, she'd get the kids, car and house in the divorce and I wouldn't even care.

It may have been the beer last night amplifying it but I thought the most recent episode was wonderful. Super enjoyable and entertaining and the main girl remains infinitely watchable. She's so perfectly cast for this. Such a lovely discovery to find a show as enjoyable as this one.

Definitely sticking with this show for the remainder of the season and hope to God it gets renewed.

Penguin

We are... or I am the loneliest fandom :p

But good ep

Nice to see her get a zombie-love interest and Major got wrecked

somedevil

We are... or I am the loneliest fandom :p

But good ep

Nice to see her get a zombie-love interest and Major got wrecked

I was afraid at the end that her ex was the one who just came in.
This episode shows the company behind the zombie creation. Its like sunset overdrive in a way.

TripOpt55

Another great episode. Liv meeting a zombie as a love interest makes a lot of sense and Ravi messing with her about it was really funny. I also enjoyed seeing Clive and Major look into the missing persons more. Oh and Dick Casablancas is always a plus!

Is that Dick from Veronica Mars?

Yep!

Great episode once again.

Now we know it's a Rob Thomas show since a real dick showed up. Totally thrilled to see Ryan Hansen guest star.

Ar29J4r.gif

Nice to see Ryan Hansen make an appearance.

Was half expecting to see Major in that body bag.

The music selection continues to be great. "They are night zombies" from the last episode and I noticed some Warpaint playing in the background of this one.

arumisan

So THAT'S what happened to Arthur!

I thought I was subbed to this OT. o_O Oh well.

His dark hair threw me off!! I mean the face and voice I recognised... but it wasn't until I was reading the comments on the AV Club that I realised who he was.

Nice Ryan Hansen cameo though!

The banter between Liv and Ravi was great as well. And the overarching plot of the season is definitely taking shape: all major and recurring characters have a role to play (or soon to be) as well - aside from Peyton (I do hopw they find something for her to do).

Hamlet

Great episode. New Zombie Arthur is a nice addition. Should be interesting to find out how he became a zombie.
Nice to see Major have something more substantial to do in the episode and he had some pretty impressive moves in that fight. Can't match that zombie mode though.
Banter was great as usual.
“Of everyone here who would you eat first?”
"Shut up or i'll eat you"

His dark hair threw me off!! I mean the face and voice I recognised... but it wasn't until I was reading the comments on the AV Club that I realised who he was.

I spent the whole episode thinking "Who the hell is that guy?", IMDB'd it and was like "Of course."

I watched the entire run of Merlin so I should have recognized him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom