• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory Vs.+ website open, new English character trailers

Christian

I'm buying this just to support the localization effort. I like a lot of the manga, but the word of mouth isn't overwhelmingly positive, or even lukewarm. But, come on, this couldn't have been an easy game to bring over, and I want to make sure they don't give up on stuff like this.

one of the source manga is "bobobo-bo bo-bobo". what the hell lol.

ボボボーボ・ボーボボBobobōbo Bōbobo. beautiful bobobobo.

Believe it or not, it got an English dub that aired in its entirety on Cartoon Network, and I believe on Toonami to boot. The dub was actually really well done, replacing the Japanese jokes with its own brand of insanity.

I'm buying this just to support the localization effort. I like a lot of the manga, but the word of mouth isn't overwhelmingly positive, or even lukewarm. But, come on, this couldn't have been an easy game to bring over, and I want to make sure they don't give up on stuff like this.

I don't expect GOTY material or anything like. This just looks like a dumb Shonen fighter with a good chunk of all my favorite characters. I'm not going in expecting Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, etc. As long as you keep in mind it's just a celebration of Shonen manga with a passionate developer and community you'll have fun. Right now this is my most anticipated game release next to Splatoon.

Maybe, I haven't played Xenoverse myself

Xenoverse has a pretty decent combat engine honestly. It's just people who exploit it online that ruin it. Having the Z-Soul "Bwahahah! Thanks for the energy!", SSJ2 ability, and Vanishing Ball as an ultimate is one of the cheapest combos in a fight with more than than 2 players. That's being patched up though.

A better example would be DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, since it's from the same developer this time around. J-Stars is the first fighter after the merge between Spike and Chunsoft though.

Nightbird

Xenoverse has a pretty decent combat engine honestly. It's just people who exploit it online that ruin it. Having the Z-Soul "Bwahahah! Thanks for the energy!", SSJ2 ability, and Vanishing Ball as an ultimate is one of the cheapest combos in a fight with more than than 2 players. That's being patched up though.

A better example would be DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, since it's from the same developer this time around. J-Stars is the first fighter after the merge between Spike and Chunsoft though.

Wait, so it could be like Tenkaichi 3?
Because i'm still playing the shit out of it on PS2!

Wait, so it could be like Tenkaichi 3?
Because i'm still playing the shit out of it on PS2!

It will be similar in the since that you're in a 3D arena as opposed to a 2D one. It's more grounded so it can suit all the characters and not just Son Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Believe it or not, it got an English dub that aired in its entirety on Cartoon Network, and I believe on Toonami to boot. The dub was actually really well done, replacing the Japanese jokes with its own brand of insanity.
Yup, that's how I experienced it. & the manga is licensed as well, though Viz started later in the series instead of right from the beginning.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
English release looking good! I look forward to being able to play the story and UNDERSTAND it this time. There's a lot of obvious references and relationship jokes that are made all over the mode, but I couldn't understand any of it, and that was quite annoying.

Anywho, I'm not so sure why people were so hard on the gameplay in this game. Sure, it's not as refined as EXvs or such, but I at least have as much fun with it as I did, say, Feddy VS Zeon back in the day, or Gotcha Force. And the game has a lot more unique stuff going on than I ever expected.

Characters very rarely play the same at all, even between series. So have combos into auto-attack combos (Goku), some have moves that can set up into another (Kenshiro), some are sniping and pestering (The guy with the model helicopter), and others play like hybrids between various characters (Bobobo). Almost no one feels like a direct clone of anyone else. I expected sword users to feel similar (Kenshin VS Hiei VS Ichigo), but they're quite different from one another.

I also liked how surprising it was to see characters with other games have attacks and setups that mimicked the others around them Joseph and Jonathan have some things that feel similar to All-Star battle. Kenshiro's combos and moves have inspiration from FOTNS Musou. Goku feels like a good relation to the Tenkaichi / Budokai games. Luffy actually feels similar to Pirate Musou. And Naruto feels similar to the STORM games, and his shadow clones are pretty fun to use here.

Assist were nice and varied, too. They themselves has multiple attacks, and parsing what would combo well with a desired character fits in with labbing in UMVC, even if it's not as expansive in the end.

The lack of the Anisound edition might be an annoyance, but the game actually is VERY nice with custom soundtracks. It lets you assign music on the system (MP3s) to characters, and their Supermove-states. It's nice how they fade in and out just like "real" music from the game, so they won't feel jarring at all, unlike many in-game custom soundtrack options. Setting Ichigo to NUMBAH ONE or Kenshiro to YOU WA SHOCK! Helps elevate that "RUN AWAY!" Feeling when someone activates their super modes very well.

Splitscreen is a great feature, even if it obviously knocks the graphics down a bit on PS3, almost as if the Split version is, say, the PSV version. It still keeps a nice amount of the destruction though, and unlike Xenoverse, you can go to any stage, even the ones with lots of breakable objects (Like the stage with the giant food.)

The game might fall apart if all you're fighting are people who SPAM SPAM SPAM the best stuff with no regard to having a good time. And some of the balance is suspect (why do REBORN!'s awesome looking combos hurt so little, compared to Goku?), but I hope a lot of this is adjusted with the western release.

Even if not, there's some great fun to be had getting to make those legendary (Or goofball) matchups occur. I always thought Vegeta and Hiei reminded me of each other look / rival theme wise. Watching Bobobo pull off the ""Goodbye Tien!" recollection on DBZ characters is pretty funny. Of having Gintama spoof moves from characters that are actually right there fighting around and with him. I've never properly seen Hell Teacher Nube, but he sounds and acts so much like a "Nostalgic Anime" chara that I instantly fell for his unique barrier and demon-hand gameplay. For a good while, I felt I was hearing and seeing new stuff each day, or trying characters I'd unlocked, that played nothing like I'd expect from having fought them in story.

I'd LOVE to see them iterate on this. I'd love to see them pull from other anime series from different era's and make another game with wholly different properties. There's a lot of series respect with how well they represent the attacks, supers and characters in this game. If the gameplay could get a bit more refined, it could be fantastic fun.

Characters very rarely play the same at all, even between series. So have combos into auto-attack combos (Goku), some have moves that can set up into another (Kenshiro), some are sniping and pestering (The guy with the model helicopter), and others play like hybrids between various characters (Bobobo). Almost no one feels like a direct clone of anyone else. I expected sword users to feel similar (Kenshin VS Hiei VS Ichigo), but they're quite different from one another.

I also liked how surprising it was to see characters with other games have attacks and setups that mimicked the others around them Joseph and Jonathan have some things that feel similar to All-Star battle. Kenshiro's combos and moves have inspiration from FOTNS Musou. Goku feels like a good relation to the Tenkaichi / Budokai games. Luffy actually feels similar to Pirate Musou. And Naruto feels similar to the STORM games, and his shadow clones are pretty fun to use here.

Assist were nice and varied, too. They themselves has multiple attacks, and parsing what would combo well with a desired character fits in with labbing in UMVC, even if it's not as expansive in the end.

That's good to hear! They could have just gone the easy was an give everyone the same feeling, but I appreciate the fact they went out of their way to make the various characters feel like they're coming from their previous game adaptations...

Which makes me want Kinnikuman in this game even more! Legends Vs. New Generation was an amazingly fun game! I'd love to have a grabble heavy character in this!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No Rukia gameplay :/

Atleast Yusuke is in there

Still surprised they bothered to put Allen(from DGM) in there, that series hasnt even been in circulation for a quick minute

Tizoc

When can I pre-order the PS4 ver. digitally? Cuz this looks to be a fun game to play with others.

Shizzlee

When can I pre-order the PS4 ver. digitally? Cuz this looks to be a fun game to play with others.

I don't know about that, but the game is very fun to play with people who know what they are doing. Sadly, most videos of the game around the net showcase people who have no idea what they are doing which makes the game look bad. It's hard to find good videos of the game. I should have never stopped recording.

Some Nobody

I'm still slightly disappointed that "+" doesn't come with +new characters.

I'm more than "slightly" disappointed, honestly. You ported it, why not add a few characters to some of the scrawnier series. You could get all the major YYH characters and a couple major Medaka Box people, for instance.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You'd think since the data was there (no models, though) & Namco has the rights, they could've added Jotaro & Dio from Jojo Part 3....& maybe Yoh from Shaman King as support, though no idea if Konami still has the rights.

You'd think since the data was there (no models, though) & Namco has the rights, they could've added Jotaro & Dio from Jojo Part 3....& maybe Yoh from Shaman King as support, though no idea if Konami still has the rights.

Is that a thing? Konami having that much control?

P.S. - I'd be so bummed if Yoh was assist only.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well I just remember the fact they published (& made?) the Shaman King games on GBA. I don't know if they still have it today like the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

Or they could've just been on a game basis & they don't have the rights anymore. I mean, Namco did get the Fist of the North Star characters in, & I thought Tecmo Koei had the rights since they published both games here in the US.

Well I just remember the fact they published (& made?) the Shaman King games on GBA. I don't know if they still have it today like the Yu-Gi-Oh franchise.

Or they could've just been on a game basis & they don't have the rights anymore. I mean, Namco did get the Fist of the North Star characters in, & I thought Tecmo Koei had the rights since they published both games here in the US.

I'd have assumed they'd drop the rights after all this time, because the only thing remotely relevant to Shaman King anymore is the manga. Though, Shaman King Flowers just recently ended.

Also, weren't characters like Kinnikuman, Zoro, Light, Gohan, and Yugi found on disc? (just as unfinished files though)

Madao

not adding them right now is such a wasted opportunity since the Jojo anime is getting to the best part soon and the hypest moment would be very close to the game's release.

The only unfinished characters were Jotaro, Dio, Dai from the Dragon Quest manga (I think that's his name) and Yoh as an assist.

Edit: Too late, lol.

Does anyone here still play the Japanese release? I want to learn how to use Medaka better before the English release.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
not adding them right now is such a wasted opportunity since the Jojo anime is getting to the best part soon and the hypest moment would be very close to the game's release.
Exactly. Heck, I think it was due to the anime's popularity that lead to Joseph & Jonathan being added over Jotaro & Dio.

Nightbird

Yoh only as an Assist? Dude would have gotten robbed either Way then.

At least i got my playble Tsuna/Oga/Gintoki (I'm just a little pissed they didn't include SSJ Oga)

Niosai

I'm really excited for this. Though I haven't heard especially great things, I have some hope that me buying this (along with others) will lead to more of the niche Japanese games being localized.

The only unfinished characters were Jotaro, Dio, Dai from the Dragon Quest manga (I think that's his name) and Yoh as an assist.

Edit: Too late, lol.

Does anyone here still play the Japanese release? I want to learn how to use Medaka better before the English release.

I do and up to play anytime

Shizzlee

Some people still play including myself. I don't use Medaka so I can't be of much help there. I only know her basics. If you check now there might be some lobbies up, but activity dropped off of a cliff when DBZ released.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm guessing a lot of characters weren't used due to issues getting voice actors, the music, etc. Probably why it overall had less characters than the DS ones, which were based on manga rather than anime and probably had less hoops to jump through.

In Kinnikuman's case, his VA was already in the game since he's also Kenshiro though. And it doesn't seem they were avoiding using characters who share VA either since we have it with Gintoki and Joseph.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm still wondering if we'll get some kind of pre-order bonus or something (I'd be surprised if they translated that booklet Japan got).

& still wouldn't be surprised if Anison Edition wasn't getting brought over due to licensing.....plus people can use the custom soundtrack option as well.

Well, we did get a metal case for Xenoverse and that fancy Godzilla poster for...Godzilla (PS4 version). Plus the Limited Edition of Project X Zone. We should be finding out soon if we'll get something special or not.

PSqueak

Banned
Came here to complain about the lack of Kinnikuman, glad to see people had me covered there.

Still, hyped about Arale, Nube and Seiya, they almost make up for the lack of Kinnikuman.

L Thammy

I'm guessing a lot of characters weren't used due to issues getting voice actors, the music, etc. Probably why it overall had less characters than the DS ones, which were based on manga rather than anime and probably had less hoops to jump through.

In Kinnikuman's case, his VA was already in the game since he's also Kenshiro though. And it doesn't seem they were avoiding using characters who share VA either since we have it with Gintoki and Joseph.

J-Stars actually has a few more playable characters than Jump Superstars, the first of the DS games. 39 as opposed to 34.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, we did get a metal case for Xenoverse and that fancy Godzilla poster for...Godzilla (PS4 version). Plus the Limited Edition of Project X Zone. We should be finding out soon if we'll get something special or not.
I actually wouldn't mind a poster for J-Stars, just not something like the one that came with PxZ, small & all folded up (which thankfully the Godzilla poster seems like a regular size).

At the very least, it won't be something like Jojo All-Star Battle again, having retail-exclusive timed DLC (one being from their own direct store).

jdkluv

Bobobo_Yu-Gi-Oh.PNG

Yes, that's Yami from Yu-Gi-Oh popping out of the main character's afro to summon a Dual Monster to shoot a beam at the villain. I remember reading that for the first time in high school & laughing for 5 minutes straight because I couldn't believe what I just saw.

Bobobo was the best shit ever - I still hate that it got cancelled. This is a god damned injustice. ;v;

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
NICE TRY, NAMCO. I'm not falling for that today on April Fools.

Where's the Fist of the North Star Vs. Sakigake Otokojuku's trailer?

bumpkin

Damn, this looks awesome! I love the shading style of the characters (watched the DBZ vignette). I hope this comes to the states!

Top Bottom