• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan to get lifetime achievement Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm9

Jackie Chan! <3
To honor this event going to watch Rumble in the Bronx, first movie I saw off him. Rocked my world.

Rumble in the Bronx got a special place in my heart too for being the first of his movies to be shown in American theaters. That stunt where he jumps from one building to the next that was teased in the previews was definitely worth it, not to mention all that hovercraft shit later.

My folks had old vcds and tapes of his older movies so I was stoked that other kids finally got to see his movies, especially on a big screen. They saw what they'd been missing, finally.

Risible

I remember back in the 80s when he was just getting known over here. It was hard to find his movies back then. We found out Wheels on Meals was going to be playing down in Chinatown in NYC and we went to the showing. It was in Mandarin (I think?) without subtitles, and we were the only people who weren't of Asian descent in the joint. Despite not understanding the language we were able to follow it pretty well, and after that tracked down every Jackie movie we could find. Back then it was only cult movie watchers who knew about Jackie.

So glad that he's so popular and well known now, his movies are a treat. Happy to see him being recognized by the Academy.

Acosta

It´s the first time I know about these Government awards, or that they gave Oscars on it, but absolutely well deserved.

Loved the Stallone part, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom