• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan to get lifetime achievement Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyranor

The DVDs are not HD, obviously, but they are mostly remastered and look fine. I am quite content with them.

Here's a list of the versions I have:

- Accidental Spy: HK Blu-ray
- Project A 1/2: HK Fortune Star/IVL
- Police Story 1/2/3: HK FS/IVL (3 is the proper original version, not Supercop)
- Armour of God 1/2: HK FS/IVL
- Crime Story: HK FS/IVL
- Wheels on Meals: Region 2 Hong Kong Legends
- Dragons Forever: R2 HKL
- Miracles (aka Canton Godfather): R2 HKL
- Young Master: R2 HKL
- Dragon Lord: R2 HKL
- Lucky Stars trilogy: HK FS/IVL (note: I found this to be really really dumb slapstick humor, but I've been told the R2 HKL may be better localized)

Now, going into the 70's!
- Fearless Hyena: R2 HKL
- Shaolin Wooden Men: R4 HKL
- Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin: R2 HKL
- Dragon Fist: R4 HKL
- Spiritual Kung Fu: I have the French R2 (no english subs), but there is an OOP HKL

I don't have:
- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow: waiting for Twilight Time Blu-ray details
- Drunken Master: waiting for Twilight Time Blu-ray details
- Drunken Master 2: the only official release with a cantonese track and english subs is an impossible to find and low-quality thakral dvd. If you're find with english dub (with Jackie and Anita's own voices), Legend of Drunken Master is fine.

(Joysales is the same as Fortune Star, they are a a later reprint, iirc)
(Cine-Asia is the same as Hong Kong Legends, also a reprint)
(Some HKL titles are available in R4 as well as R2, which may help you find the rare/OOP ones)

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/ is a good site for specs of the various versions available.

I can't help you with Stephen Chow, though :(

If you guys are serious about tracking down his old films, the best way is either region 2 DVD's (Hong Kong Legends) or HK (Fortune Star either region 0 or 3) DVD's. The Blu's are all upscales with remixed soundtracks (added foley sounds) except for Accidental Spy. There are a few japanese true HD Blus with the english dub, but no english subtitles if you want the cantonese track.

There's also a guy who is SLOWLY making custom "Ultimate" blu-rays
Specializing in FAN Restorations of classic Hong Kong action and martial arts films, Hong Kong Rescue is committed to giving you the best video quality, but with fully restored sound mixes representing what Hong Kong audiences experienced in theaters upon each films original release.

23495962-l.jpg

56bd0ccb31060_POLICESTORYBLU-RAYCOVERART.jpg.f2aa3b32bc6a06ed9cada8a2a0dedc99.jpg

So far he's only done 6
1. Hard Boiled
2. Police Story
3. Drunken Master 2
4. Supercop (Police Story 3)
5. Drunken Master
6. Project A

NOTE: if you order from him, except a wait. Took several weeks to get mine!

HONG KONG RESCUE Coming Soon Preview/Trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO26N5P4_80
HK RescueFacebook Page

He does the best he can with what he has to work with. In the case of Drunken Master 2, since the original ending was cut from most HD releases, he found the next best source (Laserdisc if I recall) and attached that to the end of it (obviously he can't create an english dub for the ending, so it defaults to the original audio).

Ive been looking for an HD version of DM2 with the original audio and aspect ratio so this was a dream come true when I came across it a couple years ago. I wish he had more, but I'm not going to complain since it's basically one guy doing it all.

On his FB page he recently finished a DM2 2.0 release allowing those who had purchased the first version to download DM2 2.0 version for free.

Here is a post of the work that was involved in making the new version.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=691559704330431&id=470387989780938
The Blu-ray audio features and extras
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=685068321646236&id=470387989780938

gwailo

Banned

There have been some remasters of his older movies. I'm not sure if they still use the subtitles from the old Mei Ah/Media Asia DVDs; those were usually pretty awful and made the films hard to follow, not to mention totally mistranslating a good number of the jokes.

They're available from YesAsia, which is a good site to order Hong Kong movies from:

http://www.yesasia.com/global/search/stephen-chow/0-0-0-bpt.48_q.stephen+chow-en/list.html

For the US versions of Jackie's movies being hard to find on disc, especially with Cantonese soundtracks, you can thank Miramax. They bought the English language rights and then edited/rescored the US releases, most of which are dubbed only. They're content on sitting on the rights while licensing out the films to Netflix and low budget suppliers like Echo Bridge. There are a lot of bargain bin DVDs and Blurays you can get, like this set that has 8 of his movies: Operation Condor (aka Armour of God 2, Operation Condor 2: The Armor of God (aka Armour of God), Dragon Lord, and Twin Dragons. The second disc (which is single-sided) contains Jackie Chan's Project A (aka Project A), Jackie Chan's Project A 2 (aka Project A II), Supercop (aka Police Story 3: Supercop), and The Accidental Spy. They are the Miramax edits and English only.

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/jackiecollection.htm

BadWolf

Thanks for this!

I've been wanting DM2 and Supercop with the old English dub and soundtrack for the longest time now, those are the versions I grew up with and watching the new ones was never the same.

EYEL1NER

Thanks, guys. My buying of martial arts movies slowed down a couple years ago but I may get back to looking for things I still need. I've got some good advice and an idea of things I should be looking for to get me started again.

LiK

I have a VCD and bootleg DVD of the original cut for DM2. That's all I have. Fucking hell. Can't believe we don't have original version on Blu

Original OST and Canto voices is the only one I can stomach.

Thanks for this!

I've been wanting DM2 and Supercop with the old English dub and soundtrack for the longest time now, those are the versions I grew up with and watching the new ones was never the same.

I know what you mean.

I remember watching a redub of one of Jackie's movies.
What's this Jackie shit! His name is Kevin!

I get Jackie Chan is an action star that does his own stunts, but he is still playing a role. No need too call him Jackie in every movie.

gwailo

Banned
I have a VCD and bootleg DVD of the original cut for DM2. That's all I have. Fucking hell. Can't believe we don't have original version on Blu

Original OST and Canto voices is the only one I can stomach.

Really is. It's the pinnacle of kung fu for me and we keep getting the same 4 Bruce Lee movies released over and over and over.

Watching his older films in english dub is always amusing. Yeah, I know Jackie did the english dub for many of his old films but ironically, the original Cantonese track for a lot of his movies does not feature his voice, especially the ones from the 80s. This is true for many HK films from that time, where the dialogue is usually dubbed by someone else.

I still prefer the Cantonese dialogue, because it's more natural and lots of jokes get lost in translation in the English dub.

Lol these dubs are really something. There's a Tupac song right in the middle of this

edit:
https://youtu.be/edIiF7H-EO4?t=3m20s

Please someone gif parts of this

Damn, I forgot Jackie Chan was even in the video. I remember reading an article awhile back on why Hollywood would often times match martial artists like Jackie Chan/Jet Li with Black music, artists, and actors in their western films; and it was because of data that showed how unusually well these movies performed in "Urban" areas.

zelas

The DVDs are not HD, obviously, but they are mostly remastered and look fine. I am quite content with them.

Here's a list of the versions I have:

- Accidental Spy: HK Blu-ray
- Project A 1/2: HK Fortune Star/IVL
- Police Story 1/2/3: HK FS/IVL (3 is the proper original version, not Supercop)
- Armour of God 1/2: HK FS/IVL
- Crime Story: HK FS/IVL
- Wheels on Meals: Region 2 Hong Kong Legends
- Dragons Forever: R2 HKL
- Miracles (aka Canton Godfather): R2 HKL
- Young Master: R2 HKL
- Dragon Lord: R2 HKL
- Lucky Stars trilogy: HK FS/IVL (note: I found this to be really really dumb slapstick humor, but I've been told the R2 HKL may be better localized)

Now, going into the 70's!
- Fearless Hyena: R2 HKL
- Shaolin Wooden Men: R4 HKL
- Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin: R2 HKL
- Dragon Fist: R4 HKL
- Spiritual Kung Fu: I have the French R2 (no english subs), but there is an OOP HKL

I don't have:
- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow: waiting for Twilight Time Blu-ray details
- Drunken Master: waiting for Twilight Time Blu-ray details
- Drunken Master 2: the only official release with a cantonese track and english subs is an impossible to find and low-quality thakral dvd. If you're find with english dub (with Jackie and Anita's own voices), Legend of Drunken Master is fine.

(Joysales is the same as Fortune Star, they are a a later reprint, iirc)
(Cine-Asia is the same as Hong Kong Legends, also a reprint)
(Some HKL titles are available in R4 as well as R2, which may help you find the rare/OOP ones)

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/ is a good site for specs of the various versions available.

Thanks for this.

longdi

Banned
Im surprised how good JC spoken english is, when compared to his asian crossover peers. Considering how late he started learning and with no academic background...goes to show how determined mofo he is.

Ultima_5

Damn, I forgot Jackie Chan was even in the video. I remember reading an article awhile black on why Hollywood would often times match martial artists like Jackie Chan/Jet Li with Black music, artists, and actors in their western films; and it was because of data that showed how unusually well these movies performed in "Urban" areas.
Sorta how wu tang clan raps about karate movies?

Im surprised how good JC spoken english is, when compared to his asian crossover peers. Considering how late he started learning and with no academic background...goes to show how determined mofo he is.

I heard a lot of the learning was phonetically, like someone will write cue cards of how things sound to him and he would learn how to speak that way. Also when he was on Ellen Degeneres, he would sing english songs and that help him learn. So it definitely doesn't sound like a traditional way of learning but it got him to where he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-tdfSQRn7Q

23495962-l.jpg

56bd0ccb31060_POLICESTORYBLU-RAYCOVERART.jpg.f2aa3b32bc6a06ed9cada8a2a0dedc99.jpg

So far he's only done 6
1. Hard Boiled
2. Police Story
3. Drunken Master 2
5. Drunken Master
6. Project A

HK RescueFacebook Page

He does the best he can with what he has to work with. In the case of Drunken Master 2, since the original ending was cut from most HD releases, he found the next best source (Laserdisc if I recall) and attached that to the end of it (obviously he can't create an english dub for the ending, so it defaults to the original audio).

Ive been looking for an HD version of DM2 with the original audio and aspect ratio so this was a dream come true when I came across it a couple years ago. I wish he had more, but I'm not going to complain since it's basically one guy doing it all.

On his FB page he recently finished a DM2 2.0 release allowing those who had purchased the first version to download DM2 2.0 version for free.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=691559704330431&id=470387989780938
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=685068321646236&id=470387989780938

Holy shit. This man is doing god's work. It's a travesty we haven't gotten good quality HD releases of the original films and have to make due with the edited US nonsense.

LiK

23495962-l.jpg

So far he's only done 6
1. Hard Boiled
2. Police Story
3. Drunken Master 2
5. Drunken Master
6. Project A

HK RescueFacebook Page

ok, thank you soooo much for this. i'm gonna order DM2 cuz downloading them is a pain and i wanna support the guy. hope it's good quality.

I used to have dubs of the Police Story movies (1 and 2) where Jackie's character was called "Kevin". It was basically an anime-quality dub, but it worked well enough.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I used to have dubs of the Police Story movies (1 and 2) where Jackie's character was called "Kevin". It was basically an anime-quality dub, but it worked well enough.

Are you talking about the german dubs? lol these were some quality stuff, I love Project A (with the pirates).

ok, thank you soooo much for this. i'm gonna order DM2 cuz downloading them is a pain and i wanna support the guy. hope it's good quality.

I order his first DM2 release and Police Story a couple years back.
You won't find a better a Bluray with as much content, audio options and in the correct aspect ratio.

I'm also getting DM2 2.0 (he said he'd give me a discount for having ordered the first)

Holy shit. This man is doing god's work. It's a travesty we haven't gotten good quality HD releases of the original films and have to make due with the edited US nonsense.

Yes he is.
Sad that the only way (other than this blu-ray to see the original unaltered, correct aspect ratio DM2 is on VHS or laser disc.

norm9

Rented Skiptrace on Amazon yesterday. It stars Jackie and Johny Knoxville. Jackie looking old but still pulling the younger women as a love interest with his charisma. Knoxville was pretty charming as well. Not as good as Rush Hour or the Shanghai movies, but it did give me three audible guffaws, so it was worth the 5 bucks.

Does have a cameo from the old fat guy that plays the crime boss in Infernal Affairs.

Tizoc

Anyone got a list of movies where Jackie was the lead character in or one of the lead characters?

Most people know Jackie cause he was the greatest action/movement performer of all time but he was much more than that. He's not only a good artist, but someone who very much understood action, dynamism and how to compose it. Dude used exaggeration and amplitude like no other. His conceptualization of scenes were terrific. He was a proper filmmaker.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Very well deserved

My all time favorite film star.

Any threads on GAF where we can discuss his movies and the best rips/dubs?

HKR is close to releasing their 7th title, Wheels on Meals!!

Info
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=698414856978249&id=470387989780938
I wanted to share some more artwork from the upcoming release of Wheels on Meals. I'd also like to share the tentative list of special features that we will be including in the set.

1. On Giant's Shoulders: Interview with Sammo Hung
2. Born to Fight: Interview with Yuen Biao
3. The Inside Track: Interview with Stanley Tong
4. Rush and Roll: Interview with Brett Ratner
5. Interview with Benny Urquidez
6. Interview with Keith Vitali
7. Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao Interviews (Different Interviews)
8. A Tribute to Jackie Chan
9. The Amazing Sammo Hung
10. Jackie Reflects on his Career
11. Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao on Hong Kong TV
12. Charitable Chan
13. Crossings: Jackie Chan
14. Final Fight with No Music
15. Fan Collection Ep. 1 - Jackie Chan Poster Tour
16. Jackie vs. Benny "Fan Homage"
17. Image Gallery
18. Jackie Chan Sings in Japanese
19. Promotional Archive
20. Outtakes
21. Trailer Gallery
22. TV Spots
23. Wheels in Action
24. Wheels on Meals Restoration Comparison
25. Hong Kong Rescue Trailer
There may be more features added, though I think this is close to a final list.

Here is a sneak peak of the upcoming Hong Kong Rescue release of Wheels on Meals! This is the first 7 minutes of the film. This video has been substantially restored with Digital Vision Phoenix and PFClean. The audio is a brand new hybrid track exclusive to Hong Kong Rescue. This exclusive Cantonese audio track combines the classic music from the original English dub with the dialog from the Cantonese track.
I'm aiming for a late September or early October release window for this title.

LiK

so i ordered DM2 from the HKR guy but no emails from him about it. Does he just ship it out whenever?

Llyranor

I've been ambivalent about supporting HKR because it's bootleg-ish. But, at the end of the day, this is more akin to the Despecialized SW trilogy - a fan doing a labor of love for fans that the studios refuse to do.

There is no actor I can think of as more deserving of this award atm. Jackie has literally given his blood, sweat and tears to the art, and deserves as much recognition as possible.

so i ordered DM2 from the HKR guy but no emails from him about it. Does he just ship it out whenever?

Yeah the paypal invoice is basically all you get.
I've never gotten an email notifying that my package has shipped.
It took one disk about 2 weeks to arrive, and another one month, but that was over 2 years ago.
I ordered PS:3/SC and DM2 2.0 this past friday, so I'm interested to see if they've gotten better in the shipping time.

Because it's a super small team, I assume they are more concerned with making the product all it can be more than the customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom