• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron on True Lies 4K complaints: ‘move out of mom’s basement’ and ‘ Get a life, people, seriously.’

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I haven't read the full article, but isn't this exactly what they're doing?
This obsession with removing film noise is precisely the reason everything looks so oily and fake(-ish).

That film iso noise should not be considered a fault in image quality. It can not be dealt with properly anyway, not yet at least. The pixels always end up visibly dilated when tring to remove it in post.

I agree older movies on film should retain the look of the film, with grain. I would just want a straight transfer from the negative.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
t333.png
That's real? Looks like an AI generated image, all it's missing is 6 fingers.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The goal with a film remaster should be to preserve and bring out the original detail as much as possible, not to mess with it. Upscaling technology can always be applied separately, to each viewer's preferences, and changes over time. If you mess with the transfer artificially we can't undo it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I haven't read the full article, but isn't this exactly what they're doing?
This obsession with removing film noise is precisely the reason everything looks so oily and fake(-ish).

That film iso noise should not be considered a fault in image quality. It can not be dealt with properly anyway, not yet at least. The pixels always end up visibly dilated when tring to remove it in post.
Yeah, some one somewhere sold these guys the idea that "modern" audiences HATE film grain, so they go through ridiculous lengths to strip it away. But who is the audience for a 4k of 30-40 year old films? It ain't 20 year olds, its old guys like us that REMEMBER and APPRECIATE the grain, the flubs, the matte effects, the boom mic in the frame, cigarette burns, dust, all that stuff.

It must be data from streaming sites that suggest film grain is seen as a "ugh, old film", kind of like how black&white was seen as a negative once, with those atrocious colorization attempts. They are trying to compete visually with the ultra clean, but (to my eyes) soulless cinematography of today. Or maybe the compression algorithms they use to keep streaming bandwidth as low as possible gets tripped up on grain, so they encourage remasters to get rid of it?

ManaByte

The 4K masters were done 5+ years ago. Long before AI up scaling was a thing. Cameron just sat on them for years and didn’t bother looking at them until Avatar 2 was finished.

Garibaldi

Just do better James. I watched Hitchcock's Rear Window the other day on 4K blu. It blows your shite out of the atmosphere.

When the medium is on its arse as it is, it's probably for the best not to ridicule the tiny customer base you have because they just want good quality products. Knobhead

jason10mm

Gold Member
The 4K masters were done 5+ years ago. Long before AI up scaling was a thing. Cameron just sat on them for years and didn’t bother looking at them until Avatar 2 was finished.
Watch that video posted above, seems like the films are FILLED with weird AI artifacts. You can't tell me that shit is just some byproduct of trying to scan film at 4k resolution, there is definitely fuckery afoot.

ManaByte

Watch that video posted above, seems like the films are FILLED with weird AI artifacts. You can't tell me that shit is just some byproduct of trying to scan film at 4k resolution, there is definitely fuckery afoot.
They played the Abyss and True Lies remasters on HBO Max in May 2020.

Mossybrew

I now expect the worst about the upcoming Terminator 1 4K Blu-Ray.

Here is a good video about the recent remasters:

Holy shit I had no idea things were this bad. I haven't upgraded anything in my collection to 4k because honestly I'm fine with Blu Ray quality and am not much into collecting physical media these days, but I'm glad I didn't waste money on these "upgrades"

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
One of the best sequels and action movies ever filmed 2,5 decades later still only available in the shitiest quality possible and it looks like untill other people will do the work for you, nothing will ever effin' change that. If you're too fuckin' lazy to do a proper 4K transfer / restoration and destroying your original work in the proccess instead, knowing full well that people hate DNR, asking you and waiting for the best versions of your movies for 2+ decades, just.... STFU:messenger_pouting:

GloveSlap

They played the Abyss and True Lies remasters on HBO Max in May 2020.
Yes, there have been HD versions of Cameron movies on streaming services at times over the years. No, it wasn't these. The new remasters didn't show up until a few months before the discs on digital stores.

These absolutely do have AI upscaling and it's not a secret. The company literally did an interview about the process. The reason Titanic and The Abyss look better is because they had newer more high resolution scans to start with so the AI had to do less heavy lifting.

violence

Yes, there have been HD versions of Cameron movies on streaming services at times over the years. No, it wasn't these. The new remasters didn't show up until a few months before the discs on digital stores.

These absolutely do have AI upscaling and it's not a secret. The company literally did an interview about the process. The reason Titanic and The Abyss look better is because they had newer more high resolution scans to start with so the AI had to do less heavy lifting.
I think Titanic and the Abyss have real 4K scans. Aliens is literally the 2K Blu-ray and probably the same for True Lies.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Shame it turned out bad, this is the first I am hearing of it. True Lies was on my short list of 4K's to pick up for my collection next.

GloveSlap

I think Titanic and the Abyss have real 4K scans. Aliens is literally the 2K Blu-ray and probably the same for True Lies.
Yeah, Aliens is definitely the old scan. There's even a hair in the same spot as the old Blu. So for Aliens you potentially have an old 2k scan that was de-grained and then re-grained by Lowry back in the day, which is then sent to Park Road to be de-grained again and run through their AI upscaling method. Just layers of digital manipulation.

The True Lies source scan must be ancient. Maybe even the old D-VHS transfer.

I've heard the Titanic scan is fairly old, but was done in 4k so it was pretty future proof. The Abyss is probably a newer scan

The intention is to make the screen disappear. With the grain altered it's like watching through an open window. They look very good in motion and HDR. True Lies looks like it was shot yesterday.

Fanmade scans of old prints are interesting but come with their own issues. How many generations deep is the scanned print? How used was it? Is it the correct film stock or is it a second-run theater copy? Did the chemicals decay? Are you watching it on a screen that matches the intended projection colour temp? Back in the 80s did you watch it with the intended projection light or with a nicotine stained bulb?

Some years ago Nolan multiplied a 1968 copy of 2001. Warner made a separate version for the home release based on the negative. The 2018 Warner version respects the original colour grading notes. The Nolan version is 100% bullshit despite being a copy of an original 70mm.

Godzilla 1998 is also an interesting case. It was made for a specific film stock, but the end product was printed on a different one for financial reasons. So the CGI elements and colour grading were not correctly displayed at release. A recent Blu-Ray restored the colours to how they were meant to be, so it's objectively correct but it does not look like the theatrical version.

Cinema lighting is still an issue today btw. You can watch something on two separate screens and have two different experiences. The bulbs are expensive to replace, or rhe projectionist doesn't care...

Last edited:

The Stig

Could somebody explain to me what is the problem with just making a higher resolution scan of the original celluloid?

I remember learning in the early 2000s that digital scans of celluloid can be much, MUCH higher than DVD quality even then but we did not have the tech to transmit it and that was all that was holding us back.

Why do this AI shit?

Last edited:
Could somebody explain to me what is the problem with just making a higher resolution scan of the original celluloid?

I remember learning in the early 2000s that digital scans of celluloid can be much, MUCH higher than DVD quality even then but we did not have the tech to transmit it and that was all that was holding us back.

Why do this AI shit?

Because Jimmy loves new technology.

Last edited:
He's no friend to cinema if he thinks only "mom's basement" nerds care about preservation.

It's insane how douchey this comment is, so fuck something like Criterion or loads of other efforts at preservation then? What a bunch of NERDS!

It reminds me of the issue in the 80s when they would try to colorize black and white films, Cameron is an absolute chode for doing this, my guess is he's been brainrotted enough to hate True Lies because he sees it as sexist or racist or something and doesn't care, the only way we got it in HD at all is probably due to contract reasons.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Why do this AI shit?
They don't want a high res version of a movie that looks like a film made in the 80's.

They want a glossy shiny video that looks like it was made yesterday.

I can only imagine they are also looking at TV shows framed in 4:3 instead of widescreen and trying to decide of AI can letterbox them automagically. Basically the reverse of the "pan n' scan" atrocities of the early DVD era. For animation this AI stuff probably works fairly well, same for brightly lit stuff without a lot of dynamic action, flashes, and explosions. But for special effect laden things and low light stuff it seems catastrophically bad.

dsp

Didn't realize they were going to use the same shitty filter that is on the picture of every modern Youtube video as a way to fuck with old movies. The only people I respect that upload to Youtube are the ones who don't use that stupid fucking filter. That one that makes everyone's facial expression look far more dramatic and annoying.

On the other side of the movie spectrum are guys like Tom Cruise who blasted television makers for having that shitty soap opera effect as the default, begging manufacturers to stop doing that. Be more like Tom Cruise.

GloveSlap

Why do this AI shit?
A lot of people have that misconception of the resolution of older movies. Anything shot on 35mm film or higher are actually being down scaled to 4K, while many post-2000 movies were finished by way of a 2k digital intermediate. Even HDR is just talking advantage of the contrast found on film. It truly is a blessing that film was so future proof. Almost too good to be true.

Overall this is a very good time for home video. Even stuff like Side Kicks and Killer Klowns are getting beautiful new camera negative scans.

SJRB

Gold Member
Imagine being one of the most prestigious movie directors of all time and release a subpar product, and then go on record saying to people who are pointing that out and who are literal decades-long fans to "get a life and move out of mom's basement".

There's no reason to be a jerk about it.

StueyDuck

I would put up with it if it wasn't for the moronically upscaled ai faces.

It's basically the grovetreet games, gta trilogy of the movie remastering world.

The skin literally flickers at moments and changes, pretty obvious when it's on a moving/talking human face

StueyDuck

It's just a median de-noise filter + a bit of extra sharpness/structure. I used to do this post processing combo back in the 00s when i was working in video editing.
Not everything is "omg teh AI".
It is ai though

There's many noticeable artifacts and image reproduction.

Imagine being one of the most prestigious movie directors of all time and release a subpar product, and then go on record saying to people who are pointing that out and who are literal decades-long fans to "get a life and move out of mom's basement".

There's no reason to be a jerk about it.

James Cameron:

season 7 episode 6 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You know what I do respect the critiques but have to agree with James and his explanation of this. I'm not saying I agree with the language and connotation implies but I watch the newly releases and was very pleased. You have basically all the utmost and don't be vision implementation or some kind of hdr, they are pretty much definitive versions overall.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Holy shit, that looks so bad.
How the f*** did he approve this thing to be released....
James Cameron: “I could agree with you and do something about it, but I will adapt to “modern audiences” today and just throw a fit, call you names, and if you show me evidence I will just appeal to My Truth that the evidence is meaningless!”.

The Stig

They don't want a high res version of a movie that looks like a film made in the 80's.

They want a glossy shiny video that looks like it was made yesterday.

I can only imagine they are also looking at TV shows framed in 4:3 instead of widescreen and trying to decide of AI can letterbox them automagically. Basically the reverse of the "pan n' scan" atrocities of the early DVD era. For animation this AI stuff probably works fairly well, same for brightly lit stuff without a lot of dynamic action, flashes, and explosions. But for special effect laden things and low light stuff it seems catastrophically bad.
ARGH! You've dug up old repressed memories!
Colbert-Screams.gif

Senua

Other than the very obvious change in colour, I can't really see a difference. Well, it is sharper, but...

I'd probably like the original more though. The softness and warmer colour just make old films and TV shows comfier to watch.
You're looking on your phone aren't you

Senua

Well, considering that my phone is very big, expensive, and probably the best display I have...
But it's still small, if you had it up on a monitor blown up to a proper size, you'd see how terrible it looks

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I mean the recent Paprika 4K was a straight up AI upscale and no one even talked about it.

Ristifer

True Lies is one of my all-time favourite movies. So, to wait this long for this result is pretty disheartening. I still have the 4K at home and I'll happily watch it, just because I love the movie that much. But it's a shame that these things can't be celebrated as massive improvements because of shoddy tactics. And frankly, even if he is a giant douche, Cameron should still know better.

Top Bottom