• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January EGM: Most stacked review schedule EVER?

Mrbob

Worlds are gonna collide. Seams are gonna tear apart. The very fabric of our planet may become undone as fanboys collide in this barrage of reviews in the January EGM issue:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
GTA:SA
MGS3:SE
Ratchet and Clank 3
Jak 3
Killzone

And much, much more! Too bad they don't review PC games so they could have thrown Half Life 2 in the mix! Who will win the coveted GOTM award? Or will EGM cop-out and make an exception with co game(s) of the month? STAY TUNED.

IJoel

Mrbob said:
Worlds are gonna collide. Seams are gonna tear apart. The very fabric of our planet may become undone as fanboys collide in this barrage of reviews in the January EGM issue:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Jak 3
Killzone

And much, much more! Too bad they don't review PC games so they could have thrown Half Life 2 in the mix! Who will win the coveted GOTM award? Or will EGM cop-out and make an exception with co game(s) of the month? STAY TUNED.

Hahahaha! So very true.

I'll be ready with my popcorn stand to make a fortune.

popcorn.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't know about you guys, but I might actually spend more time playing those games than rant about them on a forum. Too many damn games coming out argh

At least one of those has to get three perfect 10's...

MP2, Halo2 and GTA:SA are sequels to games who have achieved this.
I think whatever game wins GOTM, will also be the GOTY 2004.

Mrbob said:

Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
Ratchet and Clank 3
Jak 3
Killzone

I'll go with my money. GOTM = MP2E + MGS3.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Wario64 said:
I don't know about you guys, but I might actually spend more time playing those games than rant about them on a forum. Too many damn games coming out argh

word up my borothers cousins sisters friend.

Play > rant

Mrbob

Wario64 said:

Lies.

You will be busy posting new deals from all the impending bombs about to occur.

That is absolutely hilarious.

Edit: Forgetting Prince of Persia 2?

They didn't mention PoP2 at the end of the December issue to be reviewed in January but I'm sure it'll be there too!

Mrbob

kpop100 said:
Chances for game of the month

Halo 2>MGS3>R&C3>GTA:SA>MP2>Jak3>Killzone

GTA:SA 4th?? No way! I wouldn't have put R&C3 up there before but after all these 10s it has received you got to consider it. Here is how I look at it:

Halo 2 = GTA:SA>R&C3=PoP2>MGS3>MP2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killzone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jak 3

ElyrionX

GOTM chances breakdown:

Halo 2 = GTA:SA = MP2E > MGS3 > R&C3

I can't believe that some people think that R&C3 got a greater chance than GTA:SA or MP2E at GOTM......

explodet

This magazine rated one sequel higher than this other sequel and another sequel (and all those other sequels)!

And I am outraged!

Brofist

Mrbob said:
GTA:SA 4th?? No way! I wouldn't have put R&C3 up there before but after all these 10s it has received you got to consider it. Here is how I look at it:

Halo 2 = GTA:SA>R&C3=PoP2>MGS3>MP2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Killzone>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jak 3

My reasoning.

And keep in mind that the order I put mine in isn't the order I believe their score will be ranked in from high to low, but the chances of each game being GotM.

I put Killzone last, because there is NO WAY it has a chance of being GotM over Halo 2.

For the same reason you mentioned is why I put R&C3 kinda high.

I rated MGS3 high because if it is very good, the fact that MGS2 was labelled as a disappointment by many will make MGS3 look even that much better

And I just have a weird suspicion they will have a strange complaint about GTA:SA that will bump it from contention.

MP2, can't see it happening.

Jak 3 has no chance, but read Killzone for why it's not last.

PoP2 I left out, I agree..it's somewhere in the middle.

Deku Tree

I'm guessing GTA will get GOTM and

GTA:SA > Halo 2 = R&C 3 > MP2:E = MGS3:SE

I don't know where to put Jak 3. I have a feeling that all the used copies of Prime sitting around video game stores will put subliminal pressure on reviewers to find more faults in Echoes.

Meier

Why would Prime 2 (whose original scored a 10 from EGM) have a lesser chance of scoring a 10 than something like MGS3, R&C3, PoP2, etc.? Halo, Prime and VC all got 10's so they are clearly the big 3 to look out for... I expect Prime 2 to come out with 10's again whilst Halo 2 and SA might end up with a single 9.5 in there.

Andy787

Banned
I'm surprised people are giving MGS3 so much benefit, I figure a lot of critics are going to take out their feelings from the aftermath of MGS2 on 3, regardless of whether or not it is as good or better. I'm really psyched for it either way, but I don't think it's going to do as well critically as MGS1 or 2 did.

Here are old EGM scores (averaged):

Grand Theft Auto (PS1) - 6.5
Grand Theft Auto 2 (PS1) - 7.7
Grand Theft Auto III - 9.33
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 10

Halo - 10

Super Metroid - 9
Metroid Prime - 10
Metroid Fusion - 9.17
Metroid: Zero Mission - 9.16

Metal Gear Solid - 10
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - 9.5
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (Xbox) - 9.5
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (PS2) - 9.17
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes - 8.5

Ratchet & Clank - 8.33
Ratchet & Clank 2 - 9.17

Jak & Daxter - 8.17
Jak 2 - 8.17

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time - 9.33

San Andreas, Halo2 and Metroid Prime 2 have the highest chances of getting GOTM.
Jak 3 has no chance. R&C3 would have to be signifanctly better than the first two (which I doubt will be the case).
Although i'd like to see Metroid Prime 2 or MGS3 as GOTM.
My guess is for San Andreas. Vice City recieved a perfect score and I felt that it didn't make too much change from GTA3. San Andreas makes more changes than Vice City did, but are the changes better? I don't know. My second guess would be Halo 2.

Bebpo

Banned
MGS3 is not going to be getting perfects 10s in any magazine.

Unlike MGS2 it's not a revolutionary step up in graphics nor gameplay (MGS2 bringing FPS opened up so many possibilities for just messing around. Camoflauge is awesome but it's not changing the game on that level). Also aspects of the game feel a little dated, remember MGS2 was the most amazing looking game ever when it was released.

That's not to say the game won't be memorable or utterly amazing with the best story and gameplay this year. I think it very well may and it's my most anticipated game this year...but it's just not the kind of game that will score straight 10s in reviews. Especially considering the other titles are a lot more hyped.

J2 Cool

my bold prediction, and I say this as a serious prediction, MGS3 gets the Gotm and three 10's. Halo 2 gets mixed reviews between 10 and 9. GTA:SA is runer-up with 10, 10, 9.5. MP2:E gets between 9.5 and 8.5

AniHawk

Lakitu said:
Yup. It's going to be freakin' sweet :D

Any score predictions anyone?

Halo 2: 10 (GOTM)
MP2E: 9.67 (10, 9.5, 9.5)
Killzone: 9.17 (9.5, 9, 9)
MGS3: 9.17
Jak 3: 8.33 (8.5, 8.5, 8)
Ratchet & Clank 3: 9.5 (10, 9.5, 9)
PoP:WW: 9.5 (9.5, 9.5, 9.5)
GTASA: 9.83 (10, 10, 9.5)

etiolate

Banned
Do they really plan on reviewing Halo 2, Metroid Prime 2 and GTA SA in the same issue? THat's like praying for hatemail.

SantaC

Halo 2: 9.67 (10, 9.5, 9.5)
MP2E: 9.67 (10, 9.5, 9.5)
Killzone: 9 (9, 9, 9)
MGS3: 9 (9,9,9)
Jak 3: 8.5 (8.5, 8.5, 8.5)
Ratchet & Clank 3: 9.5 (10, 9.5, 9)
PoP:WW: 9 (10, 8.5, 9)
GTASA: 9.5 (9.5, 9.5, 9.5)

When is the issue out?

Brofist

Halo 2: 9.83 (10, 10, 9.5) - GotM
MGS3: 9.33 (9.5, 9.5, 9)
GTASA: 9.33 (10, 9.5, 8.5)
Ratchet & Clank 3: 9.0 (9.5, 9.0, 8.5)
MP2E: 8.83 (9.5, 8.5, 8.5)
PoP:WW: 8.67 (9.0, 8.5, 8.5)
Jak 3: 8.17 (8.5, 8.0, 8.0)
Killzone: 8.0 (8.5, 8, 7.5)

Solid

Wow, come to daddy.

Halo 2: (10, 10, 9.5) - GotM
MGS3: (10, 9.5, 9.5,)
GTASA: (10, 9.5, 8.5)
PoP:WW: (9.5, 9, 8.5)
Killzone: (9, 8.5, 7.5)

Halo 2: (10, 10, 10) - GotM
GTASA: (10, 10, 9.5)
Ratchet & Clank 3: (10, 9.0, 9.5)
PoP:WW: (9.0, 9.5, 9.0)
MGS3: 9.33 (9.0, 8.5, 9.5)
MP2E: 8.83 (9.5, 8.5, 8.5)
Killzone: 8.0 (8.5, 8, 7.5)
Jak 3: 8.17 (8.5, 8.0, 8.0)

SyNapSe

R&C:UYA > Halo 2 > GTA:SA = MGS3 = MP2 >>>> Everything else

Barring POP2 being in the issue, it should score pretty high from early criticism.

Reasoning: I think R&C:UYA and Halo 2 will eek out the other games because they include some (supposably) great online play, and who doesn't love greatly extended playtime with incredible games! :)

GTA:SA, nuff' said. It's hard to imagine the game not scoring ridiculously high.

MGS3.. the name speaks for itself. Quite a bit of new things added, and it looks incredible graphically. Also the Forest environment rocks! Maybe a small bit of backlash from MGS2? I dunno.

MP2:E The sequel to an incredible game. They added a MP component, but I'm not really sure why.. It really is an adventure game from the first person view.

Bog

Junior Ace
Won't most of these be out by the time the issue hits? Then who gives a shit what they score them?

Top Bottom