• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not sure I'd go best of all time by any means. He had zero in ring psychology and most of his matches had no structure at all. But his spots were always boss as fuck, so oh well. But I agree that it sucked how his career turned out. Makes no sense that WCW would steal him from ECW just to make him another guy and then that 70s guy, and how WWE didn't want him at all.

Undertaker had almost no ring psychology in his career. I'd also say Vader barely had any. He could have learned some, but you can kind of excuse a lack of it in a guy like Mike Awesome because he's a big guy. You could play up that he's a big war machine, so he feels little damage, and he's so positive he's going to win that he doesn't need to work on focusing on a spot or setting a pace.

He's basically American Kobashi. He could have easily been the new Arn Anderson instead of Mongo screwing everything up.

strobogo

Banned
Undertaker had almost no ring psychology in his career. I'd also say Vader barely had any. He could have learned some, but you can kind of excuse a lack of it in a guy like Mike Awesome because he's a big guy. You could play up that he's a big war machine, so he feels little damage, and he's so positive he's going to win that he doesn't need to work on focusing on a spot or setting a pace.

He's basically American Kobashi.

What. Undertaker had TOO much psychology for the first few years. His matches were all character psychology shit that were boring as fuck.

Laserfrog

It's my good buddy Dave Meltzer who gave me all those GWF scoops. One day Meltzer's mullet gained sentience and named itself Bryan Alvarez.

Workout seminar with Manny Fernandez before tomorrows show. He's done a couple of workouts that I haven't been able to make and everyone says he's pretty cool.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Workout seminar with Manny Fernandez before tomorrows show. He's done a couple of workouts that I haven't been able to make and everyone says he's pretty cool.

The raging bull! Should be neat, I'm sure he's got a lot of wisdom to offer.

Match of the year

WIAmatch.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wonder when WWE is going to sign Samuray. I been saying for years they need more masked guys because it's easy money. Kids love the masks even when they're on shitty wrestlers like Sin Cara.

Laserfrog

I don't trust this Thunderfrog.

The best tag team at the moment is in WWE '13, The Tiger Liger Connection. Tiger Garry and Jushin "Thunder" Liger finally in a tag team at last!

Kanyon is in catering. The guy refuses to give him more food, so he hits a Kanyon Cutter. BANG!

Kanyon hits a Kanyon Cutter on a random tech.

Kanyon hit a Kanyon Cutter on the camera man!

Buff was going to do the blockbuster, but Kanyon Cutter on the ref!

Please tell me you have these clips and can upload each and every Kanyon Cutter to youtube. A complete compilation would be amazing.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 7/3/2000

TO THE BACK. Cat is on the phone with Eric. He suspended Steiner for the week. Apparently Eric was mad at Cat for breaking his own no interference rule. Mike Awesome comes in and makes a vague threat. A whole line of ambulances are outside.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-09h58m59s39_zps20843d8e.png

Tank comes out and runs DJ Ran off. DJ Tank introduces the greatest rock and roll band in the world, 3 Count! They try to talk, but Tank tells them to shut up and sing.

djtank-o.gif

3 Count vs Jung Dragons

Shane gets hurt right away and the trainer comes for him. He was in a sling on Thunder, so that's not a surprise. So Tank replaces Shane Helms in the match. Very hot and large crowd tonight. Dive sequence. Oh fuck, I hope Tank does one. Yang was going to, but Tank stood in front of him and said no. Yang tries to do the crane, but DJ Tank punches him in the face. 3 Count win! Tank makes them dance while he dances in his square on the floor. Fuck it, this is the most entertaining angle right now.

getdown-o.gif

TO THE BACK. Kevin Nash has arrived. Someone tells him a match is up next. The Cat tells the Dragons they showed him a lot and he has a proposition for them. Goldberg has arrived. Mike Awesome powerbombs a random crew member through a table in the back.

A package on The Outsiders is aired. Goldberg breaks into the production truck and tells them to "TURN THAT SHITTT..CRAP OFF!" It wasn't even bleeped. Nash saw this and got up to find Bill.

Goldberg comes to the ring. He means serious business because he turned his hat backwards. He's sick of of the Outsiders. He says they're the biggest pieces of garbage he's seen since he's been in the wrestling business. You know, for 3 years. Surely he met a few worse people than those two in his brief time in the business. Nash comes out to the ramp. Bald headed bitch! Oh shit. Security breaks it up before they can fight. Cat comes out and says to go to commercial. During the break, the entire locker room had to separate them and Mike Awesome powerbombed someone on the floor. Is that Gunner?

TO THE BACK. Gunner was put in an ambulance. Cat is on the phone with Eric. Terry Funk asks JTB if he's ready for his opponent. Then hits him with a chair. Terry Funk is the opponent! SWERVE.

Terry Funk vs Johnny The Bull Hardcore Match.

Why did TNA bring Johnny The Bull in as a masked guy with no reference to the only thing he was known for? Always seemed strange to me. I would think you'd bring him in because he was on WCW and WWE TV as Johnny The Bull, but they didn't. Weird. Funk beats the shit out of JTB while shit talking him. JTB finally makes a come back and they go out in the crowd. Piledriver on the floor. Funk is bleeding from under his eye. Springboard leg drop to the floor on Funk's face, which also had a chair on it. That was crazy. It also led to one of the weirdest injuries in wrestling history: Torn urethra. It goes on for a few more minutes of ultra slow motion action that finally ends in a DDT on a chair from Johnny for the win.

jtb-o.gif

Show run down. A half hour in. Vampiro vs Dale Torborg. That's it?

EARLIER TODAY. Asya and DALE were planning their new entrance when pyro went off and knocked Asya off the stage.

TO THE BACK. DALE is about to go back to the hospital when Palpatine shows up and gives him the Demon outfit. Dale nods. He knows what he must do. Palpatine had a Sting mask on. He took it off to reveal Vampiro! SWERVE! But behind Vamp was another Palpatine! Oh my! The Cat tells Goldberg that Nash left. Goldberg wants Nash tonight or else.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-10h31m34s129_zps733cfa21.png

Jindrak/O'Haire vs General Cock/Corporal Cajun

The Thrillers are wearing Hardy style cargo pants. I like these guys, but Jindrak has a shocking lack of presence and charisma. Lash had a small package that would have won, but Hugh was arguing with the ref. Really awkward and dangerous looking electric chair from Mark to Hugh, which was then followed up by a splash that literally went the length of the ring from O'Haire.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-10h39m23s158_zps0ef8bc19.png

Lash hit a Samoan driver and Hugh hit the moonsault for the win. The tag champs attack all four men after the match. The rest of MIA come in and also get hammered. They pose and all the men beat them up. All 6 men lay down so Major Gunns will give them CPR.

TO THE BACK. The Cat tells Nash that Goldberg has left, so there is nothing left for him to do tonight. Nash says to make the match happen or Cat will wish he was never born. The boom mic slipped into the frame during this.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-10h44m10s237_zpsd7ff677c.png

Mike Awesome powerbombs another crew member through a table that had clearly cardboard laptops and monitors on it. The Cat is on the phone with Eric again. Eric doesn't want Nash vs Goldberg for free under any circumstances. Cat has an idea.

Jeff Jarrett is out in the ring for an annoying promo. Where does he get these shirts? Jeff says that Hulk Hogan is the man. Jeff remembers being a young slap nut sitting on his grandfather's knee and his grandfather would tell him stories about being a child and seeing Hulk Hogan wrestle. Hogan might be the man, but Jarrett is a GOD. Punk stealing lines from Jeff Jarrett. He brings out the fat ladies. They have a lot of issues getting into the ring due to their size and gear. "This is like birth." A representative from Standards and Practices comes out to cut the segment while Jeff makes fat jokes. They cut Jeff's mic. He hits the guy with the guitar. This was awful.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-10h52m43s17_zps89f5b95d.png

Cat walks out as Jeff goes to the back to make his announcement. Goldberg and Nash will be in the ring together...with 18 other men in a battle royal!

TO THE BACK. Shane Douglas and Booker T head to the ring for their match. Another guy is put in the ambulance. Cat and Jeff argue in the back.

Booker T vs Shane Douglas

Kanyon attacked Booker before he could make it in the ring. Shane's reverse Perfect neck whip looked like it could have been really easy to fuck up. Booker won with a really awkward Book End. Shane and Kanyon double team post match. DDP's music hits very abruptly, which makes the crowd think DDP was back, but it was Kanyon's music.

TO THE BACK.
The Demon is back! So, two weeks of not wearing the paint meant The Demon was gone forever? Cat is in the New Blood locker room. He tells them to keep Nash and Goldberg apart. Kanyon says he'll just give Nash the Kanyon Cutter. They'll get bonuses if they do a good job.

Vampiro vs The Demon

Random road report audio plays for a few seconds during Vampiro's entrance. This is easily the worst shit going on in WCW right now. Vampiro is a terrible promo, The Demon is dramatically worse. Undertaker's druids in Sting masks surround the ring. Demon wins with the Love Gun for the win. The Stings surround Vampiro in the ring, but the lights go out and Vampiro is gone.

TO THE BACK. Smooth is talking with the Filthy Animals. Cat tells the face locker room to keep Goldberg and Nash apart. And calls Kidman a virgin for no reason. David tries to convince Daffney not to beat up Stacy and that it wasn't him. Stacy comes out and David tries to make sure Daffney doesn't see the GIANT TV right beside her.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-11h14m20s193_zps0540140d.png

Stacy is in the ring in a wedding dress. She dances. Crowbar runs down with a chair. In the back we see Crowbar attempting to shave Stacy's head, which makes David fake stomach pains to send Daffney away so he can go to the ring. David hits the ring. Daffney comes out and dumps pepto all over David. Stacy and Daffney then get into a fight. Stacy pretends to give Crowbar a blowjob so David can hit him with a chair. Madden says something that's muted. Then David and Stacy cut Daffney's hair. They put the clippers and hair in Crowbar's hand. She believes he did it despite being awake and fighting off David and Daffney while they talked to her.

asdf-o.gif

MOMENTS AGO. Crowbar chased Daffney to the back trying to say it wasn't him when he ran into Mike Awesome, who powerbombed him through a table in the SAME spot as earlier with the SAME cardboard computer and laptops.

TO THE BACK.
Crowbar refused medical attention, but Awesome beat him up and threw him in the ambulance. Cat was watching this when Smooth comes in with Tygress. She entices him to come to her room.

Disco and Konnan come out to interview Kidman and Lance Storm. Who are portrayed by Juvi and Rey. Konnan makes some gay jokes. The real Kidman and Lance come out. It's a mirror match!

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-11h24m41s5_zps1e9be883.png

Kidman/Lance Storm vs Rey/Juvi.

Who is who? I can't tell. Kidman hits a sitout dominator on Kidman. Lance tries to press slam Kidman, but it was broken up by a drop kick from Lance. Lance leg drops Lance in the dick. Even Kidman can't powerbomb Kidman. But Lance can powerbomb Lance. Lance pins Kidman with a super bulldog on a chair. Cat missed the outside interference due to fucking Tygress. But she's Rey's girlfriend. Did neither of them of a problem with her fucking Cat just so they could cheat to win a match?

TO THE BACK.
Paula Poundstone asks Vampiro about what happened. He challenges Demon to a graveyard match at the Bash. After a break, Paula is with Nash. He's easy to find.

Mike Awesome comes out for a promo. Oh boy. "Hey you with the poster, I am not a mullet! You're the mullet, buddy! ...I am definitely not a mullet!"

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-11h33m15s101_zps75cf9467.png

He calls out Scott Steiner, knowing that Steiner was at home. He brings a ref out and forces him to count to 10. Rick Steiner hits the ring and knocks Awesome out of the ring.

TO THE BACK.
Nash and Goldberg get ready for the battle royal. Cat gives the rest of the roster their orders to keep Nash and Bill apart.

20 Man Battle Royal.

Considering there are only about 5 minutes left in the show, I don't imagine this will be a very interesting battle royal. We have a live shot of the arena with Nash's tron video playing, but audio from people talking in the back for a good minute and a half. So weird. We're again shown Cat talking to the faces. He won't let them go to the ring. I think. They didn't have audio for it. Instead of a battle royal, Cat is sending guys out one or two at a time. Booker shoves Cat aside and the faces come to the ring. There is about a minute left and no Goldberg. Goldberg waits until Nash eliminates the last guy and slides in to kick Nash. The MIA grab Goldberg's foot to prevent them from fighting. Bill steps through the ropes on the apron to kick them off, then Nash kicks Goldberg off the apron and is declared the winner. In a 5 minute battle royal, I think I saw 6 people actually go over the top. Huge roster wide pull apart brawl to end the show.

vlcsnap-2013-01-11-11h43m09s70_zpsc4630b7d.png

Well, they're doing a good job of making Nash vs Goldberg seem like a big, serious, personal deal. Much better than what they're doing for the WCW Championship. That build didn't even make much sense knowing what's going to happen. Goldberg is the one that put Hogan out of action. Jeff had nothing to do with it. So Hogan isn't around to do any of the build up, which leaves Jeff to do comedy promos with fat viking women and guitars with t-shirts. `

I won a few matches with Hansen on Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 last night. I need some time to rename everyone but him and Vader were super easy to recognize.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They put a bunch of old guys in Wrestle Kingdom 2 game for PS2.

I remember Wrestle Kingdom 1 was one of the first Japanese 360 games that I really wanted. I was always hopeful we would get it. I ended up importing the sequel on PS2(yeah, that happened). It was basically reskinned DoR, but it wasn't near as good as KoC II, so I only played it to play as Giant Bernard.

Jamie OD

How well will an Oak Tree and a Thunder Frog work together? I'm thinking the frog will try and eat the tree mid match.

Do Estonian Thunderfrogs have the ability to use camouflage? He can climb onto the Proud Oak and blend in. Then he can do sneak attacks on the Devastation Corporation. Unless Estonian lifeforms and Latvian habitats are incompatible of course.

Woo, got my hands on the entire season of Memphis from 1985. Never watched much from that territory other than Lawler vs Funk, and certainly not watched a whole season's worth chronologically. Hopefully this will make up for losing half of Mid-South '84 when my laptop died.

Do Estonian Thunderfrogs have the ability to use camouflage? He can climb onto the Proud Oak and blend in. Then he can do sneak attacks on the Devastation Corporation. Unless Estonian lifeforms and Latvian habitats are incompatible of course.

I'm don't know if such trickery would fool the Devastation Corporation, but if it did I'm sure it would only serve to raise the ire of Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive, which is anything but a good idea. The Estonian Thunderfrog is remarkably strong though, so I'm interested to see if his strength is a match for the Corporation, or if they are capable of lifting his renowned thunder hammer.

Wonder when WWE is going to sign Samuray. I been saying for years they need more masked guys because it's easy money. Kids love the masks even when they're on shitty wrestlers like Sin Cara.

I think Samuray is contracted with AAA at the moment, as he looks to be getting a big push as Octagon Jr. As for Sin Cara, if all WWE requires is a shitty wrestler under the mask perhaps they could trade Mistico back to CMLL and use Misticlone as Sin Cara.

I won a few matches with Hansen on Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 last night. I need some time to rename everyone but him and Vader were super easy to recognize.

Hansen? You gotta use Big Johnny!

Sandow too. Much better than Pillman's.
I don't know why Cesaro and Ryback have running big boots though. I've never seen either of them do that.

I thought Sandow was perfect, but then I realized he was missing the Cubito Aequet
it means Elbow of Disdain
. :<

Watching the SWS Wrestle Dream in Kobe show from 1991, featuring a great match between Masakatsu Funaki & Naoki Sano, plus a good bout with Bret Hart vs George Takano and a so-so Tenryu vs Macho Man match - not present on the tape is Minoru Suzuki vs Apollo Sugawara, which apparently turned into a shoot as Apollo became annoyed at Minoru for working the stiff UWF style, but bizarrely they did include the John Tenta vs Koji Kitao farce. Tenta defeated Kitao in Tokyo two days previously and Kitao, notoriously egotistical and difficult to work with, apparently took issue at being writen to lose to Tenta. Kitao was a Yokozuna level sumo before being blackballed from the sport and turning to wrestling. He was fired from New Japan for being racist to Korean-born Riki Choshu, but landed in SWS because Tenryu wanted to use his star power and notoriety to push his new promotion. Tenta also used to be a sumo wrestler, but never got near to Yokozuna level and that was seemingly the problem with the two working together, as Kitao felt he shouldn't have to job to a guy so much lower in status than him. However, for the big Tokyo show Kitao was convinced to do the job for Tenta, but fast forward to the Wrestle Dream show and Kitao was not happy about having to repeat the match for the Kobe crowd.

While Kitao was a big name for SWS management, in the back he was disliked and refused to participate in training as he felt he was above the other workers in status. After their match in Tokyo, Tenta knew that there could be an issue between him and Kitao going forward, and so before their rematch in Kobe he was advised by the Great Kabuki to shoot on Kitao if he became uncooperative. Hogan, Hart & Savage had also apparently said they'd back Tenta up if that happened and it inadvertently caused problems with the Japanese wrestlers in the locker room. So, both guys come out to the ring, Tenta fully expecting Kitao to shoot on him and Kitao fully intending to be as much of an asshole as possible. They start things off and Kitao won't sell even the most basic of offence, being particularly uncooperative as Tenta tries for a side headlock. They lock up for a test of strength, but Kitao won't budge and Tenta shoves him. Kitao forces Tenta in the corner and has him by the throat, while the referee frantically separates them. Tenta advances, but Kitao holds his fingers up and tries to poke out Tenta's eye. At this point John's had enough and he starts screaming "What the fuck are you doing? This is pro wrestling!". They lock up and Tenta quickly grabs a waist lock before just effortlessly hauling the big man over. Enraged, Kitao leaves the ring and starts throwing about tables. He gets back in before he can be counted out and both men stare each other down, neither willing to expose themselves to attack by continuing the wrestle the match. The ref tries to get them started and Kitao delivers a savage kick that sends him flying. He calls for the bell to DQ Kitao and Tenta raises his arms in victory, mocking Kitao who storms off to the back like a spoilt little child.

Incidentally, Lance Storm said Koji Kitao was one of the most unsafe, reckless workers he ever had the misfortune to wrestle. They often faced off in 6-man tags in Tenryu's WAR promotion that would come after the failure of SWS. Kitao would regularly deliver full force kicks to his much smaller opponents and hit a senton from the top rope on Storm with such force that Lance refused point blank to take the move after that. It's not all bad though, as in UWFi Nobuhika Takada went off script and decided to kick Koji Kitao's head off. He did also train Masaaki Mochizuki, so his pro-wrestling career wasn't entirely worthless.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
While Kitao was a big name for SWS management, in the back he was disliked and refused to participate in training as he felt he was above the other workers in status. After their match in Tokyo, Tenta knew that there could be an issue between him and Kitao going forward, and so before their rematch in Kobe he was advised by the Great Kabuki to shoot on Kitao if he became uncooperative. Hogan, Hart & Savage had also apparently said they'd back Tenta up if that happened and it inadvertently caused problems with the Japanese wrestlers in the locker room. So, both guys come out to the ring, Tenta fully expecting Kitao to shoot on him and Kitao fully intending to be as much of an asshole as possible. They start things off and Kitao won't sell even the most basic of offence, being particularly uncooperative as Tenta tries for a side headlock. They lock up for a test of strength, but Kitao won't budge and Tenta shoves him. Kitao forces Tenta in the corner and has him by the throat, while the referee frantically separates them. Tenta advances, but Kitao holds his fingers up and tries to poke out Tenta's eye. At this point John's had enough and he starts screaming "What the fuck are you doing? This is pro wrestling!". They lock up and Tenta quickly grabs a waist lock before just effortlessly hauling the big man over. Enraged, Kitao leaves the ring and starts throwing about tables. He gets back in before he can be counted out and both men stare each other down, neither willing to expose themselves to attack by continuing the wrestle the match. The ref tries to get them started and Kitao delivers a savage kick that sends him flying. He calls for the bell to DQ Kitao and Tenta raises his arms in victory, mocking Kitao who storms off to the back like a spoilt little child.

I would love to see this if you have a link. I'm not having any luck (and restricted a bit at work) so if you can point me to this I'd LOVE to see it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here you go;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4nlN0mvXCc

I would have included it in my post, but it's really a nothing of a match (other than Tenta's sweet-ass takedown @ 3:20) and only serves to illustrate what a huge dick Kitao was.

You're right, it wasn't much, but my life feels better and richer for having watched it. I loved seeing pissed off Earthquake - that wild fucking hair, too. Kitao's a douche.

Aren't Thunder Frogs and Proud Oaks two of the stronger species of amphibians and trees out there? Maybe instead they are planning on using their awesome strength to win the day.

If Bourne gets cut they should let PAC take his name. It's better than the others he's had.

It's been so long kids won't know the difference.

krae_man

WWE released the following 2013 pay-per-view schedule to it&#8217;s media affiliates on Friday, including the dates & locations of the shows:

* Royal Rumble &#8211; 1/27/13 &#8211; Phoenix, AZ

* Elimination Chamber &#8211; 2/17/13 &#8211; New Orleans, LA

* WrestleMania &#8211; 4/7/13 &#8211; East Rutherford, NJ

* Extreme Rules &#8211; 5/19/13 &#8211; St. Louis, MO

* TBD &#8211; 6/16/13 &#8211; Chicago, IL

* Money In The Bank &#8211; 7/14/13 &#8211; Philadelphia, PA

* SummerSlam &#8211; 8/18/13 &#8211; Los Angeles, CA

* Night Of Champions &#8211; 9/15/13 &#8211; Detroit, MI

* Over The Limit &#8211; 10/6/13 &#8211; Buffalo, NY

* Hell In A Cell &#8211; 10/27/13 &#8211; Miami, FL

* Survivor Series &#8211; 11/24/13 &#8211; Boston, MA

* TLC &#8211; 12/15/13 &#8211; Houston, TX

Vince "I'd rather put on a show in a half empty arena, then sell out the ACC" MacMahon strikes again :(

Edit: Two PPVs' in a row too.

Top Bottom