• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Ripclawe

Banned
still convinced this is one of the best chokeslams ever delivered, squash wrestler helped a lot
ibgx8mRqFuZbMM.gif

Ithil

"huh huh u funny looking". So lame.

The annoying thing is there are legitimately reasons to have beef with Cesaro in kayfabe, he's an arrogant cockbag that enjoys beating people for fun (like Sheamus. Wait...), resorting to "lol manpurse" is weak.

strobogo

Banned
ibxMzC5a6gAAb3.gif

Here's another great one. Might be Taker's best ever.

Taker vs Lesnar was a really great feud.

Can you imagine how good Brock could have been if he stuck with wrestling? The massive amount of improvement he showed in just two years was insane. He could have for realsies been one of the best of all time if he had stuck around.

Can you imagine how good Brock could have been if he stuck with wrestling? The massive amount of improvement he showed in just two years was insane. He could have for realsies been one of the best of all time if he had stuck around.

He would've been the best big man/monster wrestler of all time. He was well on his way already. Plus he was a hybrid that could put on 4-5 star matches with a variety of opponent sizes and styles. I wonder how Smackdown and the main event in the following years would've shaped up. Would Cena be where he is now?

strobogo

Banned
Brock was really the best. He could bump around like a cruiser without losing any of his bad assness. He could be a monster, a stooge, bump freak, squash machine, technical, brawler, high flyer. He was the perfect machine. It's really a shame he bailed when he did.

Ithil

damn that was amazing

for a big man Lesnar can sell

He never moved like a big man, he moved like he was 200 pounds. Then he threw Big Show around like he was a cruiserweight. Then mat wrestle with Kurt Angle, no problem.

Lesnar is one guy who is a legitimate freak of nature. His size, speed and strength is off the charts.

somedevil

Brock was really the best. He could bump around like a cruiser without losing any of his bad assness. He could be a monster, a stooge, bump freak, squash machine, technical, brawler, high flyer. He was the perfect machine. It's really a shame he bailed when he did.

Its was too bad that he never really loved Wrestling or the traveling the WWE does. I heard an interview where he said he choose the WWE because they offered him the most money. When you hear you understand why he didn't stay long.

Beef's just being controversial again, like his idol Cena.
Right now he's got the biggest Cena smirk, it's like that gif with Eve and Cena I bet.
But i'm sure he also respects the hell out of us all.

Beef's just being controversial again, like his idol Cena.
Right now he's got the biggest Cena smirk, it's like that gif with Eve and Cena I bet.
But i'm sure he also respects the hell out of us all.

You know me too well. :lol

But when Shenmue gets brought up, I make that shaking HHH angry face. I hate the game that much.

DKehoe

Update on GAF Rumble entrants:

DKehoe, Sunflower, Linkified, G-Fex, Guzim, Bootaaay, A Pretty Panda, Entropia, Jamie OD, RBH, SousedLouse, strobogo, Aiii, Judderman, Dork Knight, somedevil, Parallax, Frackh, Net_Wrecker, Professor Beef, Ithil, Laserfrog, Reneledarker, Mr. Sandman, BillRiccio, DMczaf, Ultratech, Jeff Albertson, mechashiva, Shark Johnson, Chriswok, Killing_Joke, KenOD

As with before PM me to say you want in.

Inspired by strobogo's great WCW 2000 reviews, below is a recap of WWF King Of The Ring 2000.

Click here for the WWF WrestleMania 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Backlash 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Fully Loaded 2000 recap. Click here for the WWF Armageddon 2000 recap.

For reference, Qualifying and First-Round matches for the King Of The Ring tournament took place on WWF programming before the PPV…

Qualifying Matches:
- Rikishi def. S.McMahon via DQ. [RAW 29-May-2000]
- B.Buchanan def. S.Blackman via pinfall. [RAW 29-May-2000]
- K.Angle def. Bradshaw via pinfall. [SMDN 01-Jun-2000; Taped 30-May]
- C.Holly def. Albert via pinfall. [SMDN 01-Jun-2000; Taped 30-May]
- Chyna def. Godfather via pinfall. [SNH 04-Jun-2000]
- V.Venis def. A.Snow via pinfall. [SNH 04-Jun-2000]
- C.Benoit def. R.Dogg via pinfall. [RAW 05-Jun-2000]
- H.Holly def. Faarooq via pinfall. [RAW 05-Jun-2000]
- C.Jericho def. Test via pinfall. [SMDN 08-Jun-2000; Taped 06-Jun]
- E.Guerrero def. M.Hardy via pinfall. [SMDN 08-Jun-2000; Taped 06-Jun]
- B.Dudley def. Boss Man via pinfall. [SNH 11-Jun-2000]
- P.Saturn def. D.Dudley via pinfall. [SNH 11-Jun-2000]
- X-Pac def. D.Malenko via pinfall. [RAW 12-Jun-2000]
- J.Hardy def. Christian via pinfall. [RAW 12-Jun-2000]
- Edge def. G.Sexay via pinfall. [SMDN 15-Jun-2000; Taped 13-Jun]
- S.2Hotty def. D.Brown via pinfall. [SMDN 15-Jun-2000; Taped 13-Jun]

1st Round Matches:
- B.Buchanan def. P.Saturn via pinfall. [SNH 18-Jun-2000]
- V.Venis def. J.Hardy via pinfall. [SNH 18-Jun-2000]
- K.Angle def. B.Dudley via pinfall. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]
- C.Benoit def. X-Pac via submission. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]
- E.Guerrero def. Chyna via pinfall. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]
- C.Jericho def. Edge via submission. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]
- Rikishi def. S.2Hotty via pinfall. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]
- C.Holly def. H.Holly via DQ. [RAW 19-Jun-2000]

WWF King Of The Ring - June 25, 2000 - Boston, Massachusetts - 17,651 in attendance

Match 1: KOTR Round 2: Chris Benoit vs. Rikishi
- This match actually had a backstory of sorts: Rikishi just came off winning the IC Title from Benoit a few days prior on SmackDown.
- FINISH: Benoit gets DQ'd on purpose when he nails Rikishi with the wrong side of a steel chair. Post-match, Benoit beats Rikishi up some more, and refs and Sgt. Slaughter come out to drag Benoit off.
fTkwm.jpg

VT: Earlier tonight on Heat, Linda tells a Skinny Michael Cole that she's going to have to comfort Vince tonight.

BACKSTAGE: Vince tells Triple H, Shane, and a young, hot Stephanie that he's going to keep his cool tonight. Tonight, he's "Joe Cool".

Match 2: KOTR Round 2: Val Venis w/Trish Stratus vs. Eddie Guerrero w/Chyna
- Val and Trish have a "business relationship", explains JR.
YcVFC.png

- FINISH: Trish distracts the ref at one point, causing chaos, which ultimately leads to Val pinning Eddie with a fisherman suplex. A very weak finishing move.

BACKSTAGE: Patterson tells the wardrobe lady he wants to look "sexy" tonight in his Evening Gown Match. Patterson's conviction made me laugh.
aKe9b.png

BACKSTAGE: Coach interviews Rikishi, who says he's looking forward to taking on Val Venis later tonight.

Match 3: KOTR Round 2: Bull Buchanan vs. Crash Holly
- Crash, alleging to weigh over 400 pounds, walks out with his scale.
ySDxo.png

- FINISH: Crash upsets with a roll up.

BACKSTAGE: Vince tells Linda not to question his fortitude.

Match 4: KOTR Round 2: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho
- Kurt Angle cuts a pre-match promo ripping on Boston sports teams and the Boston accent. These guys were lovin' it, though…
oA4dR.jpg

- Jericho cut his own pre-match promo calling Angle the "king of the 30 year old virgins" and a "royal pain in the ass".
- Y2J counters the Olympic slam and applies the Walls of Jericho.
- Stephanie McMahon runs down and distracts the ref, so fat Teddy Long doesn't see Kurt tap out.
n7WRq.png

- An accidental ref bump leads Stephanie to enter the ring and attempt to hit Jericho with her Women's Championship, but she misses and connects with Angle's head.
- Y2J grabs a young, hot Stephanie McMahon and kisses her.
wiC4H.jpg

- FINISH: With Jericho distracted, Angle hits the Olympic Slam.

BACKSTAGE: Shane tells Vince that he's GOT to keep his cool.

AT WWF NEW YORK: Mick Foley is interviewed via satellite by JR. Ivory bartends. The King makes fun of Foley's new haircut.
Z4BDO.png

Match 5: Tag Team Championship: Four-Team Elimination Match: Too Cool vs. T&A w/Trish Stratus vs. Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz w/Lita
- Like Angle, Edge & Christian cut a pre-match promo making fun of Boston's sports teams. They take a 5 second pose reenacting Bill Buckner's error.
Xl3Ti.jpg

- Lita unfairly attacked Trish, who can do no wrong, at ringside, which ultimately led to Jeff hitting the Swanton on Test to eliminate T&A.
SxZMR.png

- Christian hit his weird, reverse double-arm DDT finisher thing on Matt Hardy to eliminate The Hardyz.
- Damn, the WORM was really, really over with the crowd.
YH3fa.png

- FINISH: Edge pinned Grandmaster Sexay to win after Christian sneakily hit Grandmaster with the Title behind the ref's back.

BACKSTAGE: Skinny Michael Cole interviews Crash Holly, who says Kurt Angle is in "big trouble, mister!"

Match 6: KOTR Round 3: Rikishi vs. Val Venis w/Trish Stratus
- FINISH: Rikishi catches Val, who was attempting a Money Shot, and suplexes him to victory.
- Post-match, Trish jumps on Rikishi's back and makes the fat man mad. Rikishi slams her on the mat, then sets up for a Bonzi Drop, but Val makes the save.
qHJvT.png

- Val drills Rikishi with the steel steps in the ring, then with a chair shot to the arm.

BACKSTAGE: Coach interviews Gerald Brisco, who says Patterson's going to find out Brisco's all man.

Match 7: KOTR Round 3: Crash Holly vs. Kurt Angle
- FINISH: Angle over quickly with the Olympic Slam. Those same guys from earlier are still lovin' it…
AgcO1.png

VT: Footage from last night's sold out show at MSG. Donald Trump and that thing on his head were in attendance. King interviewed Trump, who said his favorite superstar was The Rock.
njdR9.png

BACKSTAGE: Skinny Cole interviews Kane, and Skinny Cole nearly pisses his pants.
c6Tgg.png

BACKSTAGE: American Badass Undertaker tells Coach he came to Boston to win.

Match 8: Hardcore Championship - Evening Gown Match: Pat Patterson vs. Gerald Brisco
- I bet Vince has the title card for this match framed on his wall at home.
sgZJf.png

- This match lasts for 6 minutes… 6 excruciating minutes. Crowd chants "boring" often.
SjCOC.png

- Brisco even hits Patterson with the Bronco Buster at one point.
- FINISH: Crash Holly comes out and strips both men of their gowns. Then Crash pins Patterson to win the Hardcore Championship.
- Not even seeing Trish on 3 separate occasions tonight makes up for what I had to see at the end of this match. There will be no screengrabs.

Match 9: Handicap Table Dumpster Match: Road Dogg, X-Pac, and Tori vs. The Dudley Boyz
- The stipulation here was that The Dudleyz had to win via table and DX had to win via dumpster.
- At one point, DX had The Dudleyz in the dumpster, but the ref was distracted and didn't see it. I laughed when X-Pac let out a loud, "Oh shit!"
UXXjN.png

- Dudleyz nailed DX with chair shots, then powerbombed Road Dogg over the top rope crashing through 2 tables.
pF3WF.jpg

- Devon hit a superplex on X-Pac from the top rope through a table.
- FINISH: Tori hid in the dumpster, which baited The Dudleyz. DX rebounded and hit The Dudleyz with chair shots, sending them into the dumpster. DX closed the lid and won.
AW8wV.png

- Post-match, The Dudleyz hit 3D on X-Pac and Road Dogg. They captured Tori, and Bubba powerbombed her through a table from the top rope.

BACKSTAGE: Kurt Angle says he's better than Rikishi, who "likes to put his butt in people's faces, pardon my French". Haha, damn, Angle was so good back then.

BACKSTAGE: Rikishi calls Angle "Captain America".

Match 10: KOTR Final: Rikishi vs. Kurt Angle
- FINISH: Angle hits a belly-to-belly suplex off the top rope to become the 8th King Of The Ring. No crowning tonight, however.
heQEF.png

(I didn't make this and found it online, but I thought I'd share for those interested.) Below are the full King Of The Ring tournament results...

6CY7l.jpg

BACKSTAGE: Vince rallies his family and says, "We're going out there with victory," which makes no sense.

BACKSTAGE: Kane walks through the arena. Cut to Taker sitting on his motorcycle. Cut to The Rock walking through the arena.

Match 11: WWF Championship Match: Six-Man Tag Team Match: The Rock, The Undertaker, Kane vs. Triple H, Vince McMahon, Shane McMahon
- The stipulation here was that the title was on the line in a tag match. Yes, if The Rock, taker, or Kane pinned any member of the other team, that person would win the title.
- At one point, Kane beat up The Undertaker and chokeslammed The Rock - not to turn heel, but because "it's every man for himself".
- When Triple H thought Kane was on his side, Kane picked him up and delivered a tombstone.
yiHxV.png

- Taker made the save by pulling Kane off Triple H. Taker then grabbed a chair and nailed Kane with a deadly, unprotected shot to the head.
UZ20q.png

- Really cool spot occurred when Taker chokeslammed Shane off the top rope through the Spanish Announce Table. Damn, Shane took some crazy bumps.
S2TJD.png

CcpOF.png

ESEZe.png

- FINISH: A second later, Vince went for a People's Elbow on Rock, who got up, and hit Vince with the Rock Bottom to become the new WWF Champion.
jwvsa.png

- Triple H flipped out because he lost the Title without being pinned.
QRPgB.png

Thanks for reading!

Top Bottom