• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

strobogo

Banned
Game Plan was a nice little movie. Rock was super likable in it.

Skyrim came from Gamefly today. I played it for maybe a half hour. Fucking hate it. I don't know why I put it in my Q since I don't like those type of games to begin with. So I'm going to get on my bike and watch an hour or two of Wrestle Kingdom and then some WCW!

Matches confirmed (sorta) for the next New Japan iPPV 'The New Beginning' on February 10th;

. IWGP Heavyweight Title Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs 'Machine Gun' Karl Anderson
. Suzuki-gun vs CHAOS:
Minoru Suzuki vs Kazuchika Okada

Also, it seems that New Japan president Kidani has stepped down, despite spearheading the companies resurgence since BushiRoad became owners at the start of 2012. Whether this is storyline or not remains to be seen, but it doesn't look like it. Apparently, Kidani brought in MMA fighters Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata without consulting the bookers (Jado & Gedo) and then publicly announced he would accompany Sakuraba to the ring for his match against Nakamura. Kidani proposed the idea of him being an evil owner of the company in the vein of Eric Bischoff (who Kidani is apparently a big fan of) and wanted to stage an MMA invasion, but this idea was shot down by New Japan officials. Kidani still accompanied Sakuraba to the ring for his match, and then announced his resignation a few hours later.

Another MMA invasion angle for NJPW? Lol. They should bring in Russo for ultimate lulz.

Well, that's what this whole Laughter7 thing was - Sakuraba & Shibata coming to New Japan to fuck shit up and prove that shootstyle is better than strongstyle, but it doesn't seem to be panning out as, I'd guess, there's a lot of resistance within New Japan when it comes to anything that might return them to the dark days of Inoki's MMA madness, circa 2000-2005. However, the reaction from the crowds towards Laughter7's matches has been great, as they've shown that unpredictable feel that made the earlier MMA invasion angles so popular. It would be a shame to see it go no further than this, really, even though I'm not a fan of the evil authority figure bullshit.

Jamie OD

I have to ask - why did Axl Rotten decide to be billed from Newcastle, England?

I always thought it was just to go with his punk rocker gimmick but apparently Axl really was born in Newcastle and his family moved to America while he was young. Don't know how true it is but that's what I've been able to find.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
After approx the first half of Wrestle Kingdom, I went out and took the dog for a major walk and figured I'd come home and finish it. Then I find out a friend of mine has gone missing, for about 3 days. He's a recovering alcoholic and had found Jesus, so I fear the very worst - when those two things crash down on someone it can be real bad, so I'm bummed and even though I want to finish WK I don't feel like I can in a good mood. :/

For what it's worth the Nagata/Suzuki match was white fucking hot, not sure how they'll top that but I'm also confident that they will.

After approx the first half of Wrestle Kingdom, I went out and took the dog for a major walk and figured I'd come home and finish it. Then I find out a friend of mine has gone missing, for about 3 days. He's a recovering alcoholic and had found Jesus, so I fear the very worst - when those two things crash down on someone it can be real bad, so I'm bummed and even though I want to finish WK I don't feel like I can in a good mood. :/

For what it's worth the Nagata/Suzuki match was white fucking hot, not sure how they'll top that but I'm also confident that they will.
Sorry to hear that Sunflower. I hope your friend is found safe and unharmed.

GolazoDan

Well, that's what this whole Laughter7 thing was - Sakuraba & Shibata coming to New Japan to fuck shit up and prove that shootstyle is better than strongstyle, but it doesn't seem to be panning out as, I'd guess, there's a lot of resistance within New Japan when it comes to anything that might return them to the dark days of Inoki's MMA madness, circa 2000-2005. However, the reaction from the crowds towards Laughter7's matches has been great, as they've shown that unpredictable feel that made the earlier MMA invasion angles so popular. It would be a shame to see it go no further than this, really, even though I'm not a fan of the evil authority figure bullshit.
I haven't finished the show yet, actually right up to the Nakamura match, but knowing the result and all that... it seems like they put the kibosh on that NJPW/MMA thing. Really good news if that's the case. Didn't know Kidani had stepped down, actually, which is kinda interesting.

I have no issues with certain guys but the MMA stuff from the early-mid 2000s was terrible because you got all these MMA guys who literally knew jack shit about wrestling... doing wrestling. Doing it quite badly. And getting paid loads. Masakatsu Funaki in All Japan, great. He was a wrestler originally, he likes wrestling, he's good at it. Katsuyori Shibata, bit of a prick but he was a wrestler (a far better wrestler than fighter). Kazushi Sakuraba, started with wrestling and nobody who followed his MMA career would be shocked to find out he loves wrestling. He's not a super worker but his matches are fun. Minoru Suzuki, the boss. The thing is, I dunno how many more guys are around like that who have that MMA fighter aura but are actually worth investing in as wrestlers.

Naruse is coming back for the junior gold, you heard it here first.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to hear that Sunflower. I hope your friend is found safe and unharmed.

Thanks Harry, me too. I can't help but kinda be pessimistic - the odds are pretty stacked against it. He left his dog without water or food, and that is INCREDIBLY uncharacteristic of him. Even if he was in a drunken haze, he wouldn't have done that.

He also had a lot of people who hated him for things he did in the past. Trying not to entertain that notion but...it's there. :/

I haven't finished the show yet, actually right up to the Nakamura match, but knowing the result and all that... it seems like they put the kibosh on that NJPW/MMA thing. Really good news if that's the case. Didn't know Kidani had stepped down, actually, which is kinda interesting.

I have no issues with certain guys but the MMA stuff from the early-mid 2000s was terrible because you got all these MMA guys who literally knew jack shit about wrestling... doing wrestling. Doing it quite badly. And getting paid loads. Masakatsu Funaki in All Japan, great. He was a wrestler originally, he likes wrestling, he's good at it. Katsuyori Shibata, bit of a prick but he was a wrestler (a far better wrestler than fighter). Kazushi Sakuraba, started with wrestling and nobody who followed his MMA career would be shocked to find out he loves wrestling. He's not a super worker but his matches are fun. Minoru Suzuki, the boss. The thing is, I dunno how many more guys are around like that who have that MMA fighter aura but are actually worth investing in as wrestlers.

Naruse is coming back for the junior gold, you heard it here first.
What about Bork?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

is this a shoot?

Entropia

No One Remembers

Sorry to hear that man. I hope that he's ok!

Sorry to hear about your buddy Sunflower, hope he turns up OK :(

The thing is, I dunno how many more guys are around like that who have that MMA fighter aura but are actually worth investing in as wrestlers.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that. I keep thinking how awesome it would be to see a feud on the level of the 80's NJ vs UWF feud, or mid-90's NJ vs UWFi, but those feuds only worked because the guys on the MMA side of things were all experienced wrestlers and big stars in their own right. Now, the Japanese MMA bubble has kinda burst, and shootstyle wrestling promotions barely exist any more, so perhaps you're right in that there just isn't the talent to hold a long-term feud and make it worthwhile for New Japan.

GolazoDan said:
Bork Laser will return and eat the Boma Ye he so richly deserves.

Bork wouldn't return for fear of getting Rikidozan'd :p

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Sorry to hear that man.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
This hasn't been a good week for you Sunflower, take care bud

next week is Sunflower week!

HQmZV.jpg

More photos from Japan if you're interested. The first two links are from the Dragon Gate show I went too. Just found one of the matches online and saw myself on Gaora. That was pretty cool. The third link has photos I took with my cell throughout the trip. It's got some non wrestling stuff but it also has a picture of me with the One Man Kru so it's very relevant.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151238372574542.465889.500049541&type=1&l=3ad1c46bef

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151238679244542.465942.500049541&type=1&l=ddd22155aa

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151204198649542.461028.500049541&type=1&l=89dbe70a44

Here we go a One Man Kru in Japan report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvvSL8cbVhQ

We first met the Kru outside of Shinjuku FACE which was the venue for the Onita show on Dec. 21 where it was announced that Onita would be bringing FMW back in February. Kru approached us trying to sell us tickets for a show the next day saying the promoter for the people he was with were threatening his money if he didn't sell five tickets. It felt a bit like hustle for a minute. Then I noticed he was wearing Zubaz and a jacket for one of the groups and it seemed more legit.

We told him we had another show that day and asked him if he was wrestling on the card. He said yeah but he wasn't sure how he'd do. He talked about busting his shoulders and then started talking about testosterone that he was on and having lost weight on the tour. We still weren't sure he was legit till he came out to wrestler. He was part of a fun 6 man and after the show we talked to him quite a bit. Lots of fans kept coming to him and talking to him about his personal life so they had been following him and connected with him. His highlight of the night was when he grabbed a girl and yelled "who wants to see me kill this bitch?!". He talked to us about how awesome it was to yell crazy stuff and they don't edit it out of broadcasts.

We thought we were done watching the Kru but he was also on the Big Japan card and did really well there too. After that we talked to him about his time in Japan and what was next because he was headed home the next day back to Alabama. He mentioned that it looked like Australia, Mexico, and back to Japan were on the docket for the next year.

That promo that was put up yesterday appears to be a few years old. He's definitely got some crazy in his work but he has a place in that Japanese atmosphere. He's certainly not a Dragon Gate guy and I don't know if he'd have a place in CZW but he was quite a character overseas. Honestly if you were to just talk to the Kru it would all seem like bs. Then you research him a little and realize he's one of those people that just has this insane existence and is living a life that not many live. He dropped about 50 pounds in Japan so he was moving pretty good for a big guy.

He also has this album online http://www.reverbnation.com/onemankru

and was on Springer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpsK9qHTKk

I nominate Kru to be the son of Kane.

strobogo

Banned
Cheer up Sun

images

I just watched NCAA banned Mark Jindrak vs Reno, when he went by Rick Cornell. It was surprisingly good. Jindrak's gimmick is so dumb, but it's pretty funny to watch. Reno seems like he could have been something decent with some ring time. He could have been a good Taz knock off, I think.

Sorry to hear, Sunflower. I hope things work out.

Top Bottom