• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Punk needs to start being an angry prick in more than just his promos. His wrestling style is too clean for this character and feud. He should kindly offer Brad Maddox a match next week as a test to see if he can hang, but just destroy him for no reason at all. New offensive style, brutal chair beatdown, security rushes the ring, etc. etc. I'm sure Dwayne would pee in his jammies after that.

I agree with this. I really enjoyed RAW last night but Punk threatening to kick the Rock's ass when the man's built like a brick shithouse whilst he's done nothing but have his ass handed to him by brick shithouses, needing the help of other people to retain makes it look like a very feeble threat. He needs to start looking like the most dangerous man in the WWE and stop looking like a cowardly heel, this feud could have been even better if Punk was actually winning title matches legitimately so that the only person who could take the title from him for the WWE universe would be someone no longer in the company that they all cheered for.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's hard to look at Punk and go 'yeah that guy looks threatening'

Cowardly/smart heel is pretty much his only option. Hell, he's still knocked out guys like Big Show and Ryback when most heels would have just ran and stole a chair and had to use that. If anything, I have a hard time believing Punk now because he doesn't use his brains/coward enough.

Aiii

So not worth it
dude got completely buried. sometimes i wonder if Vince thinks Ryder came from WCW...

I've though about this a few weeks ago. He comes across as a very whiny person, if he does that backstage, he's probably universally hated by everyone on the booking team/creative.

Vince by all accounts especially likes people that stand up for themselves, that have some balls and are not afraid to tell him off. I would imagine someone that just complains alot and doesn't really stand up for themselves would make his shit list rather quickly.

Cookiepuss commercial from way back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcVno8saeZY

Carvel is basically a northeast thing, the only way you'd know about it if you didn't live in New England in the 80s is the Beastie Boys song.

It was just one of the ways the Rock failed last night. But it is about a million times harder to cut a promo on Punk than it is Cena, I can't be too down on him. Punk dropped the ball last night, too, all he had to do was say that the millions and millions would honestly rather watch CM Punk fight Austin.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Carvel is basically a northeast thing, the only way you'd know about it if you didn't live in New England in the 80s is the Beastie Boys song.

Yo where the supavisor at?

I got the number anyway baby!

Great track, used to listen to it all the time off of Some Old Bullshit. It was also the only track I really enjoyed from that...

It was just one of the ways the Rock failed last night. But it is about a million times harder to cut a promo on Punk than it is Cena, I can't be too down on him. Punk dropped the ball last night, too, all he had to do was say that the millions and millions would honestly rather watch CM Punk fight Austin.

Why would this be better?

GWF In Pictures for tonight, it was an amazing show...

ibckzoEs5ieTEd.PNG

who is that sexy beast?

And I want to see more of Maddox. I want him to be a legit midcarder.

I wonder if they will tell punk to stop being so awesome while feuding with Rock.

Remember last year when all of a sudden they had gimped rock so Cena didn't look like a complete chump.

Rock will have to step his game up with up. Having to masters on the mic going at it for the next few weeks will be great.

Ithil

All he had to do is bury the feud? What?

Why would this be better?
Because you can't get under the skin of the Rock by saying that he's manipulating the fans. He knows that and he doesn't care, and why would he? But you can get under his skin by saying that he's second string. That makes the match bigger than just being a title match. And you've got to, when you've spent the last few months showing how the title is not respected.

Because you can't get under the skin of the Rock by saying that he's manipulating the fans. He knows that and he doesn't care, and why would he? But you can get under his skin by saying that he's second string. That makes the match bigger than just being a title match. And you've got to, when you've spent the last few months showing how the title is not respected.

But the goal isn't to "get under your opponent's skin", it's to sell a specific match. Saying "hey wouldn't it be better if you were someone else?" just makes everyone look bad. At this point I'm intrigued by the framing context Punk is setting up, even if it is just a straight up good guy/bad guy dynamic.

Kyoufu

lol what? That would be the worst thing to say in this feud.

It doesn't bury the feud, saying the Rock isn't better than Austin is like saying that pie isn't better than cake. It gives Rock motivation that he could definitely use. Otherwise, all we're getting for the next three weeks is more Cookie Puss.

Punk should totally come out and say Rock can't win the title because HGH would violate the wellness policy, then The Rock could say I'm bigger than you so people can't believably think you would beat me without some crafty booking.
That would be getting under some skin.

Ithil

It doesn't bury the feud, saying the Rock isn't better than Austin is like saying that pie isn't better than cake. It gives Rock motivation that he could definitely use. Otherwise, all we're getting for the next three weeks is more Cookie Puss.

It does, by suggesting this feud isn't important, it's some other hypothetical one that is. Rock should not be brushed off lightly, that's half the problem with the Rock/Cena feud, there was no fire and neither guy seemed like they took the other seriously.

This is a big match, and both men should sell it as important. Yeah, Rock made some Rock jokes (that were a bit lame), but that's Rock, he also went dead serious several times to make it clear Punk is no joke, he's in for the fight of his life. That's all good stuff, to me.

Mentioning Austin would only hurt the feud. Rock already has his motivation, Punk has already set himself up as the anti-People champion, where he rejects the people and audience and is successful in spite of them. People's Champion vs Anti-People's Champion is a neat idea.

strobogo

Banned
Grumpy asshole Punk is the only legitimate Punk to me. I really enjoyed the whole segment, from both men. Rock has only felt like The Rock once in the past 2 years, and this was as close as he's been in a long time. Punk was as dangerously close to Russo level promos as you can get, though. But he does it so much better than anyone was doing in WCW.

Ithil

Grumpy asshole Punk is the only legitimate Punk to me. I really enjoyed the whole segment, from both men. Rock has only felt like The Rock once in the past 2 years, and this was as close as he's been in a long time. Punk was as dangerously close to Russo level promos as you can get, though. But he does it so much better than anyone was doing in WCW.

The difference is that he never actually breaks kayfabe, all of what he says is using real life stuff, but it's still within the confines of kayfabe, though teetering on the edge.

Like his stuff about Bryan and Brodus Clay being faces, wasn't "they have stupid gimmicks!", it was "these two dangerous guys have to be happy and smiley to be successful with the audience". He was less attacking the management (apart from that one comment about Tyson Kidd) and more attacking the idea of having to be liked by the audience to be successful, which is just straight up heel tactics, of course.

So last night was not the greatest night in the history of our sport. :(

It was an ok last 15 min. Everything before was what ever. I was expecting much much more.

Punk looks very weird standing next to Rock in the ring. Next weeks 20th anniversary better be good.

The truth needing to be said was established as a theme for CM Punk.

It's never been anything more than storyline. He doesn't break the "illusion" in his promos and in most cases the framing context is set around selling a match. Even his June '11 promo never violated any established reality of WWE, it only broke some (either real or perceived) rules about what can and can't be mentioned on air and he specifically frames the context of his grievances around a single specific match.

The differences between that and the Russo "shoot" is that WCW guys were only using it as crutch to put themselves over and actually would violate storyline reality of pro wrestling for some godawful reason.

It tickles me that you guys think the Rock is able to be buried. Not even twenty HHHs could bury the Rock. He's the most successful guy post-WWE of all time by a wide, wide margin.

I like watching Heyman while Punk talks - his facial expressions are always on point and perfectly sell whatever Punk is saying. Also, Punk's monologue before Rocky came out last night was great. He kind of makes it look effortless because he's so natural on the mic, whereas so many other current wrestlers in WWE still sound stilted and forced.

Striker

The truth needing to be said was established as a theme for CM Punk.
If he was bracing off truth he wouldn't go out there every week like he does, because he did Cena Jr. work during his entire face tenure. Something he was ranting about during his "shoot".

Toolbox is just one word that emphasizes what a terrible face he was for so many months.

I wish that for the 20th anniversary, they would go back to the Manhattan Center. Just one time, just because they can. It would be on fire.

If he was bracing off truth he wouldn't go out there every week like he does, because he did Cena Jr. work during his entire face tenure. Something he was ranting about during his "shoot".

Toolbox is just one word that emphasizes what a terrible face he was for so many months.

I sort of hope now that Punk has denounced his own face run that history will remember it as a meta-commentary on how atrocious WWE heroes are as human beings. *I realize that this is revisionist history at best and rampant fanboyism at worst, I also don't care.

Two HUGE matches signed for CHIKARA Season 12;

CHIKARA - February 9th, Reading, PA - "All the Agents & Supermen Crew"

ibrkvs1sHzSpVO.jpg

CHIKARA - February 10th, Easton, PA - "While the Dawn is Breaking"

ilTzJOFEugBUp.jpg

Archie finally gets to go one on one with Touchdown! And with Steen & Kingston tied 1 for 1, the stakes are raised for the rubber match as King defends his Grand Championship against the ROH Champion one more time.

Kyoufu

I don't think there has been a good face main eventer in a long time. I can't think of any.

Top Bottom