• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everyone tries to act like Punk's some amazing promo cutter and no one can come close. Then you realize that most of the roster could cut 'amazing' promo's and reference obscure things if WWE gave them the same leash they gave Punk.

Prime example, Michael Cole on NXT 3. Everyone says Michael Cole is the worst announcer ever. He goes on NXT, and you can tell 'Just do whatever you want, Cole', and he's suddenly the funniest commentator since Heenan.
NXT-21st-of-september-2010-cm-punk-15881990-375-392.jpg

Cagey

Banned
Everyone tries to act like Punk's some amazing promo cutter and no one can come close. Then you realize that most of the roster could cut 'amazing' promo's and reference obscure things if WWE gave them the same leash they gave Punk.

Prime example, Michael Cole on NXT 3. Everyone says Michael Cole is the worst announcer ever. He goes on NXT, and you can tell 'Just do whatever you want, Cole', and he's suddenly the funniest commentator since Heenan.
NXT-21st-of-september-2010-cm-punk-15881990-375-392.jpg

For the most part, yep. Cena does it, Ziggler's been doing it, etc.

The line Cena crosses is when he uses it to bury his opponents, rather than build a feud, but it's a difference in degree (one goes too far).

Punk's delivery is excellent, which isn't dependent on the material, though. He's excellent with the actual delivery of his lines and his mic presence. Problem last night, anyway, was "everybody talks too much".

There's a reason why they let Punk off the leash in the first place and why other guys aren't given that freedom. I really don't think there's anyone in WWE today who comes close to Punk in terms of how natural he is on the mic and the presence he has. Some guys promos sound like they're reading from a script, some guys sound like they're running through bullet points, but Punk has the ability to sound like he's doing neither and make it seem effortless in the process.

Mr. Sam

There's a reason why they let Punk off the leash in the first place and why other guys aren't given that freedom. I really don't think there's anyone in WWE today who comes close to Punk in terms of how natural he is on the mic and the presence he has. Some guys promos sound like they're reading from a script, some guys sound like they're running through bullet points, but Punk has the ability to sound like he's doing neither and make it seem effortless in the process.

That's a bingo! Also, Punk colours more within the lines than people think. The reason Kofi Kingston can't cut a great promo is because he's not allowed to mention Tyson Kidd!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Can we talk about how Kofi got nuked to the bottom of the roster last night? 3MB a tag team of jobbers have longer matches.

Pavaloo

New to WrassleGaf, but I've got a question: is SoulPlaya the only one here that marks for Kane? If so, that's a damn shame.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
New to WrassleGaf, but I've got a question: is SoulPlaya the only one here that marks for Kane? If so, that's a damn shame.

No but he ought to be! Also, welcome. Looking forward to getting you in the GWF.

Striker

That's a bingo! Also, Punk colours more within the lines than people think. The reason Kofi Kingston can't cut a great promo is because he's not allowed to mention Tyson Kidd!
Namedropping a specialty, on both ends. Luke Gallows, Vladimir Kozlov (lol), and DH Smith were commonly let out.

"I'm better than Shawn Michaels. I'm better than Dwayne. I'm better than Stone Cold Steve Austin. ... best in the world!", and so forth. He's done it a dozen times it feels like already. That along with the tough guy talk is just cringe worthy because I don't buy it for a second. When he and Triple H were running their mouths every week in their awful feud, it ended up Phil Brooks vs. Paul Levesque. Can the shit get any cheesier?

Omega

Banned
Namedropping a specialty, on both ends. Luke Gallows, Vladimir Kozlov (lol), and DH Smith were commonly let out.

"I'm better than Shawn Michaels. I'm better than Dwayne. I'm better than Stone Cold Steve Austin. ... best in the world!", and so forth. He's done it a dozen times it feels like already. That along with the tough guy talk is just cringe worthy because I don't buy it for a second. When he and Triple H were running their mouths every week in their awful feud, it ended up Phil Brooks vs. Paul Levesque. Can the shit get any cheesier?

i forgot this happened

i have a pretty good memory too so this shit must have been the worst thing ever in WWE/F history if i forgot it.

somedevil

The entire first 2.5 hours of last night's Raw was a bathroom break.

You watch the show for 1 man so just watch the last hour. Alot of people not on this show like the episode. John Pollock called it the best Raw in 2012 and 2013.

So your in the minority that didn't like the segment? I enjoyed it alot and was 10,000 times Cena and Rock and made alot of people really interested in the pay per view.

Aiii

So not worth it
Can't you people just enjoy a feud or a promo without overanalysing it word for word?

I dunno, but you could've really enjoyed the Punk vs Rock promo last night if you didn't pretend that every word they utter was a matter of life and death and I dunno, just enjoy two of the best promoworkers of their time square off?

Or have we already decided that Punk is about Kelly Kelly levels of promowork now and that Rock is worse on the mic then post-stroke Bret?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thought the show was real weak outside of Ryback/Punk (and that nearly got ruined because of the SHIELD storyline. They better not Aces & 8s this thing where it goes on for far too long with no explanation)

Cena and Dolph was ruined by that ending though. What the fuck. I knew Cena was going to win but like THAT?

oh and the return of Shelby announcement

Omega

Banned
Can't you people just enjoy a feud or a promo without overanalysing it word for word?

I dunno, but you could've really enjoyed the Punk vs Rock promo last night if you didn't pretend that every word they utter was a matter of life and death and I dunno, just enjoy two of the best promoworkers of their time square off?

Or have we already decided that Punk is about Kelly Kelly levels of promowork now and that Rock is worse on the mic then post-stroke Bret?

Rock was really bad last night. It has nothing to do with over-analyzing or pretending it's life and death. It's more that his whole promo was candy jokes, nuts jokes and telling a man to get naked.

That shit that's not even funny enough to make it into that new Wayan's bros film..

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rock was really bad last night. It has nothing to do with over-analyzing or pretending it's life and death. It's more that his whole promo was candy jokes, nuts jokes and telling a man to get naked.

That shit that's not even funny enough to make it into that new Wayan's bros film..

Isn't that usual Rock though, and people liked it in the attitude era because they were kids?

Also didn't the Shelby dude attack an officer recently?

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i've become the Kane to SoulPlaya's Taker.

Hey Sunflower, got the GWF link lying around? I need to catch up.

Aiii

So not worth it

Do I even need to post a YouTube link to a random Rock promo that shows that this is all The Rock ever did in his promo's?

Hex

Banned
Does anyone not expect Brock to ruin the match at Rumble and come interfere leading Triple H to hit the ring thus starting their road to Wrestlemania?
Or even Ryback to do a temporary program with Brock until HHH enters the picture?

Striker

So your in the minority that didn't like the segment? I enjoyed it alot and was 10,000 times Cena and Rock and made alot of people really interested in the pay per view.
Yeah. It didn't really do anything for me. Something I can just forget in a week or two and hope something big can happen to spark the feud if they do in fact face off at WM. Going back and forth like that for the next two months will become a bit stale.

Somebody mentioned a while ago (Soul?) how WM seems a little lackluster since we still don't know what's going on. I can agree with that. I don't want to see Rock-Cena again, nor do I want to see HHH-Lesnar. The Rumble winner will ease that a little, but I'm not sold on them giving somebody like Bryan a shot at winning.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've said it before and i'll say it again, i've become the Kane to SoulPlaya's Taker.

Hey Sunflower, got the GWF link lying around? I need to catch up.

You do, you had a story and a match!

http://twitch.tv/Sunnybuns

Also if any of you missed the NJPW show, here's some motivation to purchase it - Sakuraba vs Nakamura from the 1.4 Tokyo Dome show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvya1dP_85s

You want to see how a REAL champion should be? This is your man. So much goddamn swagger my butt hurts.

So people want the rock to not act like the rock. lol

If you don't find his shtick funny that's fine, but most of you are coming off as if you never seen a rock promo before.

Pavaloo

No but he ought to be!
Haha what! I still mark for Kane pretty hard myself :p
Also, welcome. Looking forward to getting you in the GWF.
Thanks! I'm unfamiliar though, what exactly is GWF?
Speaking of these two! What does WrassleGAF think of the idea that Kane breaks Taker's streak? I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I like the idea that Kane finally puts Taker to rest and they both go into retirement afterwards.
Do I even need to post a YouTube link to a random Rock promo that shows that this is all The Rock ever did in his promo's?
Honestly, I think people are just growing up and realizing the Rock's schtick. I realized it last year when I liked Cena's promos more than Rocky's. It also doesn't help that he is so over he doesn't really even have to try to get a reaction.

Somebody mentioned a while ago (Soul?) how WM seems a little lackluster since we still don't know what's going on. I can agree with that. I don't want to see Rock-Cena again, nor do I want to see HHH-Lesnar. The Rumble winner will ease that a little, but I'm not sold on them giving somebody like Bryan a shot at winning.

Bryan isn't winning as I imagine they'll have something Hell No related at Mania, not because they wouldn't give him a shot
Funny, I was just thinking about how we usually knew (or could divine) the Mania card by now.

Last year at this time we knew it would be:
Cena vs Rock
Triple H vs Undertaker
WWE Championship: CM Punk vs Jericho (with an assumption that Jericho was winning the Rumble)
WHC: Sheamus vs ? (most thinking that Bryan would be removed from the title picture at the Elimination Chamber

This year I think we know:
Cena vs Rock (even this isn't a lock imo)
Lesnar vs ?

I have no problem with Rock doing his shtick, I just don't care for it any more as the nostalgia has long worn off. The only fault I really had with the segment last night was that Punk basically told him to stop clowning around, that his grade-school jibes weren't hitting the mark, and then Rock carried on any ways.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I liked Rock telling him he tried to start a revolution and couldn't do it.

Then it went into penis jokes. Like, you say it's a typical Rock promo. Yeah, a typical terrible Rock promo. Watch some early Rock promos before when he only had a few catch phrases. He can do non gimmicky promos. His corporation stuff was almost all that.

somedevil

Bryan isn't winning as I imagine they'll have something Hell No related at Mania, not because they wouldn't give him a shot
Funny, I was just thinking about how we usually knew (or could divine) the Mania card by now.

Last year at this time we knew it would be:
Cena vs Rock
Triple H vs Undertaker
WWE Championship: CM Punk vs Jericho (with an assumption that Jericho was winning the Rumble)
WHC: Sheamus vs ? (most thinking that Bryan would be removed from the title picture at the Elimination Chamber

Lesnar vs ?

They have 4 big Matches planned supposedly for Wrestlemania. My guesses for the big 4:

Rock vs ?
Undertaker vs ?
Brock vs ?
Sheamus vs Heel Randy Orton

Aiii

So not worth it
They have 4 big Matches planned supposedly for Wrestlemania. My guesses for the big 4:

Rock vs ?
Undertaker vs ?
Brock vs ?
Sheamus vs Heel Randy Orton

Gonna be bold here,

Rock vs. Punk and Taker vs. Cena.

Either that or Punk vs. Rock vs. Cena and Taker vs Ziggler.

Omega

Banned
Isn't that usual Rock though, and people liked it in the attitude era because they were kids?

Also didn't the Shelby dude attack an officer recently?

like i said last night, maybe my nostalgia has me thinking Rock was actually good back then. i was never really a "fan" of his, I just rooted for him bc my brother was an Austin fan.

Lesnar vs ?

Rock vs ?

why do people think this match won't happen?

WWE portrays Cena to be stronger than Superman and he loses maybe one match legit a year. and he always ends up avenging his loss.

i just don't see him not having a rematch

Top Bottom