• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Wait so the WWE gave him this meaningless belt to make him look strong and legitimate, presumably, so he could go back to the main event and feud with the current champion and now that he's about to get the belt title they needed him to drop that accessory of his but didn't want him to look not strong so they had him lose it in not a triple threat match but a fucking handicap match?

Holy fucking shit, if this doesn't say how obsessed Vince is with Reigns and shows the fans how committed he is to his shitty ideas then I don't know what will.

I've given up on them ever making Roman to be anything less than super fucking strong. For the love of god though, do fucking something with his character besides pushing the same bland babyface that no one likes. It's amazing that they keep pushing him after 3 years of it not working. Change something, holy shit.

UberTag

Butts in seats sure quality uhhhh no. It was stated that HHH and Vince want a main event on par with WK 11 main event...
Styles vs. Cena would be their only chance at accomplishing that feat.
Although perhaps Triple H thinks he can get that calibre of match out of Seth.

Owens actually is going to go down to the midcard once he loses the title. Bad writing or not, I can't imagine anyone is happy with his title reign in the office. And he'll be doubly forgotten about when Finn comes back. He can always look forward to his future program with big Cass.

lol Yep, Owens only got the reign because Finn was injured and they didn't want to put the title right back on Seth and Roman was still being punished. Anyways I feel bad for a guy of his talent going back down to the midcard.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Styles vs. Cena would be their only chance at accomplishing that feat.
Although perhaps Triple H thinks he can get that calibre of match out of Seth.

the only way they can have an event near possible to that calibre is if Omega jumps ship and shows up on smackdown, main event wrestle mania Omega vs AJ Styles with japanese style wrestling with the title on the line.

Skatterd

So what are we thinking is the likely Mania card here?

Undertaker vs. Cena
Brock vs. Goldberg 3 (lol)
Roman vs. Braun
Seth vs. Triple H
AJ vs The Rock (lol)
Owens vs. Jericho
Big Show vs. Shaq (lol)
Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Sasha
Nikki vs. Mickie
ARMBAR

People like to talk in here about AJ going back to the mid-card when he loses the title for whatever dumb reason despite his obvious popularity

But Owens actually is going to go down to the midcard once he loses the title. Bad writing or not, I can't imagine anyone is happy with his title reign in the office. And he'll be doubly forgotten about when Finn comes back. He can always look forward to his future program with big Cass.

I don't think the main office gave him the title with the intention of christening him as a top guy. Finn got injured, so the plan was to fast track Rollin's face turn by ballooning the popular Jeri-KO program into the main focus.

People like to talk in here about AJ going back to the mid-card when he loses the title for whatever dumb reason despite his obvious popularity

But Owens actually is going to go down to the midcard once he loses the title. Bad writing or not, I can't imagine anyone is happy with his title reign in the office. And he'll be doubly forgotten about when Finn comes back. He can always look forward to his future program with big Cass.

Man, if anyone in the office is pissed about his title reign, they have no one to blame but themselves. You compare KO in NXT as a careless monster heel compared to the joke he's been these last four months and it's apples to oranges.

And I'm so mad because I know this is probably the greatest good he's ever going to get

UberTag

There's no way it would actually happen at Wrestlemania this year, but Shinsuke vs Styles?
A WK10 rematch between Styles and Nak could easily measure up to Omega vs. Okada... but they would never put Nakamura in a main event spot at Mania. That's why I put forward the only match that was feasible. And I agree that Cena vs. Styles was overrated. AJ works well with talent that can be carried... not folks like Jericho and Cena who will try and ring general the spots and match pacing.

I think AJ would get a better match out of Roman than he would out of Cena.

C1u9hdMUkAAlHJi.jpg

Undertaker vs. Cena
Roman vs. Braun
Seth vs. Triple H
AJ vs The Rock (lol)
Owens vs. Jericho
Big Show vs. Shaq (lol)
Nikki vs. Mickie
ARMBAR
Why do you have lol next to two guaranteed matches and then lol next to AJ vs The Rock?

Or has the joke gone over my head

gun_haver

i mean yeah raw is unwatchable in general but they're really going to have to try to mess this wrestlemania up. they have EVERYONE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
A WK10 rematch between Styles and Nak could easily measure up to Omega vs. Okada... but they would never put Nakamura in a main event spot at Mania. That's why I put forward the only match that was feasible. And I agree that Cena vs. Styles was overrated. AJ works well with talent that can be carried... not folks like Jericho and Cena who will try and ring general the spots and match pacing.

I think AJ would get a better match out of Roman than he would out of Cena.
Styles won't be in the main event anyways

Man, if anyone in the office is pissed about his title reign, they have no one to blame but themselves. You compare KO in NXT as a careless monster heel compared to the joke he's been these last four months and it's apples to oranges.

And I'm so mad because I know this is probably the greatest good he's ever going to get

Pretty much. NXT Owens was this shit talker who backed up his shit. Took the belt in two months after his debut, and just ran over the entire roster. He even managed to beat Cena in his main roster debut. JeriKO Owens is a lot of fun, but he's booked as a typical WWE heel, that can't beat whatever babyface they decide to throw at him without cheating.

I hope no one is hoping for KO to ever go back to his NXT champ booking because they're obviously not going to have that sort of character at the same time as Braun.

This is where I boldly predict that Undertaker/AJ will main event wrestlemania sun and John Cena will face Samoa Joe for the intercontinental title. Also, Cena beating Joe clean will result in the best reactions of the night in the OT.

UberTag

Haven't been keeping up with Wrasslin lately, can anyone tell me what the rumored title matches are for Wrestlemania?
Rollins vs. Triple H
Shaq vs. The Big Show
ARMBAR

These are the only guaranteeds. Everything else is speculation at this point... other than Roman, Brock, Taker, Cena, Goldberg and Braun all being in high-profile singles matches in some combination.

This is where I boldly predict that Undertaker/AJ will main event wrestlemania sun and John Cena will face Samoa Joe for the intercontinental title. Also, Cena beating Joe clean will result in the best reactions of the night in the OT.
You said you stopped drinking 😔😔😔😔😔

Rollins vs. Triple H
Shaq vs. The Big Show
ARMBAR

These are the only guaranteeds. Everything else is speculation at this point... other than Roman, Brock, Taker, Cena, Goldberg and Braun all being in high-profile singles matches in some combination.
Thanks

Shaq vs Big Show? Whyyyyyyy

cLOUDo

Undertaker vs. Cena
Roman vs. Braun
Seth vs. Triple H
AJ vs The Rock (lol)
Owens vs. Jericho
Big Show vs. Shaq (lol)
Nikki vs. Mickie
ARMBAR

AJ vs the rock?
I missed something?

Anyways, that is a awful card

gun_haver

They'll find a way. They always do.

i dunno, of the three wrestlemanias i've seen since i started watching along, 30 was all right and 31 was pretty good - and 31 looked like crap going in. 32 looked like crap going in and was disappointing even considering that, man was that a bad show.

33 has a glut of potential main event matches and whichever one they pick to do it, there are plenty of options for everyone else. aj, cena, undertaker, seth, goldberg, brock, ambrose, miz, jericho, and fine i guess reigns but whoever gets him will be unlucky - all these guys feel fairly big right now. you've got 4 matches right there, and then 2 women's championships, and then you have guys like cesaro, rusev, corbin, sami and others who can fill out a nice undercard with matches that could end up being better than the main events.

then there's the women. charlotte is great, sasha and bayley have their moments, and becky and alexa are still to be properly put to the test with a big match.

and then you've got people like the new day and braun who, while not necessarily putting on good matches, can be used to make certain matches more meaningful in terms of storyline. maybe neville can even have a good showing.

there's just too many pieces to play with. there are people i haven't mentioned and maybe even an nxt call up for joe or nakamura - hell maybe asuka to smackdown would be good. even if they fuck this up they can't fuck it up.

I dont think WWE should try and compete with WK. I dont even know if they can because the booking an way storytelling is told is very different in both promotions.

WWE has people kicking out of finishers 60 times a week for example and the history of Vince not allowing people to actually sell etc.

What would a WWE style match in 2017 that beats Omega vs Okada even look like. Im not trying to shit on WWE here either even if it seems like it, they are just different products.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I dont think WWE should try and compete with WK. I dont even know if they can because the booking an way storytelling is told is very different in both promotions.

WWE has people kicking out of finishers 60 times a week for example and the history of Vince not allowing people to actually sell etc.

What would a WWE style match in 2017 that beats Omega vs Okada even look like. Im not trying to shit on WWE here either even if it seems like it, they are just different products.

no in ring psychology, no story, spot after spot after spot maybe a table or two for enough people to yell holy shit and this is awesome

\What would a WWE style match in 2017 that beats Omega vs Okada even look like. Im not trying to shit on WWE here either even if it seems like it, they are just different products.
Nakamura/Zayn 2?

Which I guess at a certain point is barely WWE style

With the big fight atmosphere of Mania, whew

Emmalina is going to finally appear, only for Steph to come out and berate her for hyping herself for months just to come out and be uglier than herself, the hottest woman in the company

Emma will then disappear for good

Wait, lemme get this straight. Roman LOST the US Title, and there's people in the thread who are mad about it? Those same people who were mad because they thought he'd WIN?

UberTag

i dunno, of the three wrestlemanias i've seen since i started watching along, 30 was all right and 31 was pretty good - and 31 looked like crap going in. 32 looked like crap going in and was disappointing even considering that, man was that a bad show.

33 has a glut of potential main event matches and whichever one they pick to do it, there are plenty of options for everyone else. aj, cena, undertaker, seth, goldberg, brock, ambrose, miz, jericho, and fine i guess reigns but whoever gets him will be unlucky - all these guys feel fairly big right now. you've got 4 matches right there, and then 2 women's championships, and then you have guys like cesaro, rusev, corbin, sami and others who can fill out a nice undercard with matches that could end up being better than the main events.

then there's the women. charlotte is great, sasha and bayley have their moments, and becky and alexa are still to be properly put to the test with a big match.

and then you've got people like the new day and braun who, while not necessarily putting on good matches, can be used to make certain matches more meaningful in terms of storyline. maybe neville can even have a good showing.

there's just too many pieces to play with. even if they fuck it up they can't fuck it up.
That's the crux of the problem. They have TOO MANY pieces to play with. They'll misuse most of those pieces in multi-man spotfest matches with no stakes over devalued mid-card titles with most of the guys contesting for "moments" instead of getting actual matches to properly showcase their talents. The part-timer nature of the Mania product serves to devalue the rest of the roster because every main event needs to be an attraction match featuring some over-the-hill relic from the Attitude era. We'll be left questioning why Sami Zayn is in the ARMBAR while we're subjected to a 45-minute Triple H match, a 20-minute Steph promo and 15 minutes of Shaq vs. The Big Show.

Top Bottom