• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

I think I know Goldberg's Wrestlemania opponent.

jIiTk6T.jpg

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORO", 2017/02/05
Hokkaido Sports Centre

1. Hirai Kawato & KUSHIDA vs El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
2. Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Yoshitatsu, David Finlay & Henare
3. Katsuyori Shibata, Tiger Mask & Jushin Liger vs Will Ospreay, Jado & Gedo
4. YOSHI-HASHI vs Takashi Iizuka
5. Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: RPG Vice (c) vs TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Hirooki Goto (c) vs Juice Robinson
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano (c) vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2017/02/11
Osaka Prefectural Arena

1. Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato vs David Finlay & Henare
2. Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & KUSHIDA vs Takashi Iizuka, El Desperardo & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
3. Yuji Nagata, Juice Robinson, Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask vs Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo
4. Kazuchika Okada & RPG Vice vs Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
5. NEVER 6-Man Tag Titles: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI
6. RPW British Heavyweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs Will Ospreay
7. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano (c) vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad
8. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs Dragon Lee
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs Michael Elgin

Sweet, kind of excited for Shibata/Ospreay.

Am I the only one who is grossed out by Juice Robinson. He's a white guy with dreads, rainbow undies and his name is Juice. Just makes my skin crawl. Am I being irrational, friends?

Edit: Jericho is the US Champ? I can only imagine the fuckery they concocted to allow that to happen. Plus, guess the big dog is free of that burden and ready to reclaim what is wrongfully his.

Sweet, kind of excited for Shibata/Ospreay.

Am I the only one who is grossed out by Juice Robinson. He's a white guy with dreads, rainbow undies and his name is Juice. Just makes my skin crawl. Am I being irrational, friends?

Edit: Jericho is the US Champ? I can only imagine the fuckery they concocted to allow that to happen. Plus, guess the big dog is free of that burden and ready to reclaim what is wrongfully his.

I kind of feel you about Juice, mate. But for whatever reason, he has actually been entertaining me in a lot of his recent matches, in a way I really didn't expect. And now for NJPW to be putting him against Goto, it seems so fucking weird but I am kinda curious to see where this goes.

I can't help but feel WWE is going to fuck up Tommy End seeing as how bad they're fucking up CWC.

The problem with Owen's is we're getting too much of him now. Too much of anyone is a bad thing. The difference between now and Attitude Era is simple: AE was always different, the promos now are the same god damn thing over and over.

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that even though WWE has better wrestlers than 10 years ago, the product itself is just something completely different than what I want. It's weekly soap / sitcom, geared toward lowest common denominator story telling (both in and out of the ring).

I gotta be honest, Smackdown isn't much different from RAW. It's only getting so much praise because it has the lesser of the annoying group of wrestlers. RAW has all the people fans are burnt out on. Smackdown is definitely more enjoyable but lets not act like it's a revolution of product.

I kind of feel you about Juice, mate. But for whatever reason, he has actually been entertaining me in a lot of his recent matches, in a way I really didn't expect. And now for NJPW to be putting him against Goto, it seems so fucking weird but I am kinda curious to see where this goes.

Hey, if the dude proves himself to be a good wrestler, I can get over my weird repulsion.

The best moment on Raw was Karl Anderson's commentary. "We've been in Japan. I have a hot Japanese wife!" Also, Rusev remains gold, even in such a shitfest of a segment.

The rest of it was the worst Raw I have seen in a very long time. Didn't enjoy any segment, really. Protecting Roman is just fucking ridiculous at this point - and the booking is so obvious I'm actually dreading that match at the Rumble. (I'm assuming Jericho is in the cage with the belt on, and he'll drop it, and KO will use it as a weapon and STILL Roman will kick out, thus shitting further on the belt he's been shitting on for months already.)

And Seth? I'm not as jaded as some of you about his style of matches, mainly because at least something happens in them, which is more than I can say about much of the rest of Raw - but he's fucked. They clearly don't know what to do with him, and there's no sense in not having had Triple H come out already.

Right now, I'm assuming Triple H is entering the Rumble as well, and we're going to see all the feuds play out with none of them winning the rumble itself. So Brock and Goldberg take each other out, Trips and Seth, Taker and Strowman (it looks like, even though rumour had Taker fighting Cena at Mania), and then somebody else winning.

Oh, and unless Sami Zayn booked this week off for some reason (medical rest, wedding, funeral, whatever), he's fucked. Not appearing the week after he's been destroyed but stayed almost looking okay against a monster? Fucked.

You know, I watched New Years Dash again last night, and it's really impressive how well the suzuki-gun angle was done

-teams were beat up after WK and even more after their NYD match
-suzuki-gun come out and beat up everyone
-okada starts a one man comeback
-suzuki takes him down himself
-suzuki injures okada's bad neck

So you end with okada looking great in defeat, suzuki looking like a threat because in the end he took out okada himself, but he focused on an injury okada already has to get heel heat.

I dunno, maybe it just seems impressive in comparison to what wwf do these days.

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORO", 2017/02/05
Hokkaido Sports Centre

1. Hirai Kawato & KUSHIDA vs El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
2. Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Yoshitatsu, David Finlay & Henare
3. Katsuyori Shibata, Tiger Mask & Jushin Liger vs Will Ospreay, Jado & Gedo
4. YOSHI-HASHI vs Takashi Iizuka
5. Michael Elgin, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi & Dragon Lee vs Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: RPG Vice (c) vs TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
7. NEVER Openweight Title: Hirooki Goto (c) vs Juice Robinson
8. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano (c) vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Minoru Suzuki

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2017/02/11
Osaka Prefectural Arena

1. Yoshitatsu & Hirai Kawato vs David Finlay & Henare
2. Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & KUSHIDA vs Takashi Iizuka, El Desperardo & Yoshinobu Kanemaru
3. Yuji Nagata, Juice Robinson, Jushin Liger & Tiger Mask vs Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Jado & Gedo
4. Kazuchika Okada & RPG Vice vs Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
5. NEVER 6-Man Tag Titles: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Manabu Nakanishi & Ryusuke Taguchi (c) vs EVIL, SANADA & BUSHI
6. RPW British Heavyweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs Will Ospreay
7. IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano (c) vs G.B.H. vs Killer Elite Squad
8. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs Dragon Lee
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs Michael Elgin

As an aside, New Beginning in Sapporo will have English commentary, however no word on the Osaka show (probably not).

This card excites me, although I'm not a fan of Yano/Ishii vs. KES being made into a 3-way (though GBH wasn't pinned and thus are owed a title match) and the fact that there are two of them makes it obvious one will be a title change. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Iizuka is a match I actually find quite interesting, even though it won't be any good, but it will probably just re-introduce Iizuka's wildman persona. Also excited to see Kanemaru in NJPW in an obvious showcase match for him and Despy given Kawato is in the match.

Also interesting - as expected, no Bullet Club involvement. I'm fine with this, as it continues the question of what is next for the group and allows for Suzuki-Gun to be re-introduced as a heel threat, before BC is slowly slid back in.

To pick winners for the title matches:

TAKA and Taichi
Goto
Yano/Ishii
Suzuki

LIJ
Ospreay
KES
Hiromu
Naito

I was still awake in the early hours to witness the opening match of Raw live and it really summed things up perfectly.
We have an actually FRESH match up between Rollins and Braun, a rarity these days but hang on, how can we fifty/fifty book such an encounter.
The moment Rollins climbed to the top rope, well it was clear how they'd manage this, keep them equal with a count out finish, GENIUS!

Even then they botch this further, if you really want to try and protect both guys surely you have Rollins hit his dive, send them both barrelling over the barricade, Braun manages to get up first because he's a MONSTER and staggers towards the ring arriving too late thus is suitably pissed off.
Instead WWE takes the illogical route, Braun dodges the move, spends a good 10 seconds wheezing away and then decides to try and carry a deadweight Seth back into the ring only to get double counted out because he apparently forgot two rules, one is that he could just win by count out himself or two, if he really wanted to beat the man properly he could just restart the count himself.
But nope, RAW logic strikes.
You may say "owl that's way too much fantasy booking for a meaningless segment" and you'd be partly right, except it's not even fantasy, it's just simple wrestling logic surely.

Only thing I stopped for when fast forwarding through the remainder of the show an hour ago was DA UNDAHTAKAH who delivered a cookie cutter Taker promo as expected but at least gave use whatever that wonderful grumble sound was. I'm totally okay though with Taker winning the rumble and Cena beating AJ so I can finally have that damn Cena/Taker match....with Cena wins lol.

As an aside, New Beginning in Sapporo will have English commentary, however no word on the Osaka show (probably not).

This card excites me, although I'm not a fan of Yano/Ishii vs. KES being made into a 3-way (though GBH wasn't pinned and thus are owed a title match) and the fact that there are two of them makes it obvious one will be a title change. YOSHI-HASHI vs. Iizuka is a match I actually find quite interesting, even though it won't be any good, but it will probably just re-introduce Iizuka's wildman persona.

To pick winners for the title matches:

TAKA and Taichi
Goto
Yano/Ishii
Suzuki

LIJ
Ospreay
KES
Hiromu
Naito

Hmm...why no English commentary for Osaka? Not that I really really mind. I've been listening to the English commentary to help me get acquianted with the wrestlers.

One thing that bugs me is when the music cuts out to some generic shit due to licensing issues because usually the real music is pretty badass.

This card excites me, although I'm not a fan of Yano/Ishii vs. KES being made into a 3-way (though GBH wasn't pinned and thus are owed a title match) and the fact that there are two of them makes it obvious one will be a title change.

I agree. There is reason for GBH to be there but at the same time, at this point it feels kinda overbooked. But whatever.

I'm sure they will both be great shows.

Mahonay

Banned
Haven't had much time to squeeze in wrasslin this week but I'm finally watching the WK11 main event now.

That Omega T2 entrance, along with his Final Fantasy entrance music. God I love this fucker.

klonere

Banned
So people think Suzuki really has a shot at winning? I'd keep the title on Okada but I guess it would be a pretty Gedo move to switch after that main event. I guess you could tell the story of Okada being weakened after such an epic battle and Suzuki, the veteran shooter exploiting that mercilessly.

So people think Suzuki really has a shot at winning? I'd keep the title on Okada but I guess it would be a pretty Gedo move to switch after that main event. I guess you could tell the story of Okada being weakened after such an epic battle and Suzuki, the veteran shooter exploiting that mercilessly.

As long as Okada has it when Omega comes back, I don't mind if Suzuki gets it for a short stint.

I don't get why he is stuck in shitty angles and hanging out with Jinder. Is he still being punished for ruining the shitty Dolph angle? Let it go, Vince! He loves Lana!

Because that's where he works. He works best with his comedy angles and people who can work that with him. Those guys tend to be in the mid-card area.

Mahonay

Banned
Hope Smackdown is solid tonight.

Read about RAW last night. I love how everyone is in panic mode now that Roman doesn't have the US Title, and is set up to win the Rumble again. The boos for Raman at San Antonio will be deafening.

jmdajr

Hope Smackdown is solid tonight.

Read about RAW last night. I love how everyone is in panic mode now that Roman doesn't have the US Title, and is set up to win the Rumble again. The boos for Raman at San Antonio will be deafening.

Cena will win!

ReiGun

I gotta be honest, Smackdown isn't much different from RAW. It's only getting so much praise because it has the lesser of the annoying group of wrestlers. RAW has all the people fans are burnt out on. Smackdown is definitely more enjoyable but lets not act like it's a revolution of product.

I don't think anyone's ever said Smackdown is changing the game or anything. At least, not here on Gaf.

I look at Smackdown as a case of "if you can't do something different, just do the same ol thing really effectively." I think SD loses out on overall match quality, but it's also just generally a better paced and written show. Not perfect by any means, but not the total mess Raw often is.

I do agree that Smackdown's roster is more appealing at the moment. But I don't feel like I'm burnt out on Raw's group so much as they've been used so poorly I just can't care as much anymore.

I mean, look at what they've done to Sami Zayn. Damn shame how that went down.

Mahonay

Banned
I think anyone's ever said Smackdown is changing the game or anything. At least, not here on Gaf.

I look at Smackdown as a case of "if you can't do something different, just do the same ol thing really effectively." I think SD loses out on overall match quality, but it's also just generally a better paced and written show. Not perfect by any means, but not the total mess Raw often is.

I do agree that Smackdown's roster is more appealing at the moment. But I don't feel like I'm burnt out on Raw's group so much as they've been used so poorly I just can't care as much anymore. Look at what they've done to Sami Zayn. Damn shame how that went down.
Smackdown has consistent weekly storytelling for nearly all of their feuds, everything progresses in some way or another. And it's an hour shorter. The writing and length of show make the key difference. Both are huge problems on RAW. RAW has some of my favorite workers and it's still completely unwatchable to me, the few times I attempt to just skim-watch through it, I don't even make it to the end.

Smackdown basically has the WWE formula down to a decent degree that made the attitude era period actually engaging, and no I don't mean the stuff like smut and violence.
I mean that it feels like everyone on the show has a role and gets a decent amount of time to build their feuds, yeah the matches ain't always the best and the talent level is all over the place but it works.

LOL marks chanting 'You still got it!' after Shawn walks down the fucking ramp.

I guess watching Foley hobble down the ramp prior created a unique WWE legend comparison point.

Taker, HBK, Goldberg

did you guys watch an old episode of RAW together last night or something?

My mum's laptop was telling her it was the 5th of December while I was sitting through Taker's promo, she made a joke about going back in time.

And I just had to respond with "well I'm currently watching Raw with Taker, Foley and Steph in the ring so we might have gone back to 2000"
She actually used to watch Raw with me back then, because it was actually good you see, mother Owl likes the Taker.

Mahonay

Banned
My mum's laptop was telling her it was the 5th of December while I was sitting through Taker's promo, she made a joke about going back in time.

And I just had to respond with "well I'm currently watching Raw with Taker, Foley and Steph in the ring so we might have gone back to 2000"
She actually used to watch Raw with me back then, because it was actually good you see, mother Owl likes the Taker.
I'm a bit jelly, my mother has always viewed wrestling as pure smut and trash garbage. But she ain't wrong.

We are a few years into thinking "I really hope Undertaker doesn't hurt himself" before every Undertaker match.

I hope he shows up super late in the Rumble.

So .... Cena vrs Taker is happening?

I'm a bit jelly, my mother has always viewed wrestling as pure smut and trash garbage. But she ain't wrong.

If it makes you feel any better my old man has so much crushing disappointment for my enjoyment of the wrasslin'.
Then again he hates everything, miserable fella he is.

Actually even he liked The Rock, that's just how much charisma Rock has.

We are a few years into thinking "I really hope Undertaker doesn't hurt himself" before every Undertaker match.

I hope he shows up super late in the Rumble.

So .... Cena vrs Taker is happening?

probably

which leads me to wonder what AJ's doing....unless cena/taker ends up being a career match instead. not like they need the title to be on the line.

Haven't had much time to squeeze in wrasslin this week but I'm finally watching the WK11 main event now.

That Omega T2 entrance, along with his Final Fantasy entrance music. God I love this fucker.

In case you haven't heard and/or haven't already seen them, the three matches preceeding the main event are must see as well.

Raw64life

Kevin Kelly sounds like he should be narrating a children's show, not announcing pro wrestling.

And I'm perfectly fine with Suzuki getting the belt, for however short it may be.

Top Bottom