• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

wAawS4bl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irquds7X58

Not CCK like was expected. Any of the OTT lot give us the rundown?

Barrage

Absolutely agreed on every point, Grimace. To many wrestling fans, their relationship with WWE is like a bad marriage- every slight or dissapointment is so vividly remembered that the baggage cant be lifted. Things that used to be liked are now hated, and the smallest annoyances are dwelled upon and blown up (like when a wife is driven crazy by how her husband sips his coffee). While a new relationship (with a new promotion) is seen with rose-tinted glasses and the exact same annoyances completely forgiven.

Correction: there's quite a bit of NJPW discussion when Wrestle Kingdom or G1 happens. Bootay by himself doesn't really count.

Hey, I give my thoughts on all the big shows :/.

The problem is that NJPW doesn't really have weekly shows that push forward a narrative like wwf does, so the discussion is bunched around 10-15 shows a year.

wwf has like 5 shows a week that push forward a narrative now, which is insane.

I'm actually surprised WWE hasn't tried to annex UUDD like they did with Zack Ryder's stuff

Maybe because it's actually entertaining?

I never found any of that WWYKI schtick to be anything novel even though that was en vogue with "fourth-wall" breaking stuff with the rise of Punk and Bryan.

The Madden Tourney is some good stuff and reaffirms to me that Kofi is a cool ass dude. Not only Kofi; Neville, Rusev, and even Roman Reigns comes off as a likable in that show.

deli2000

The bigger problem is that the internet wrestling community is incredibly toxic and gets off on being as negative as possible while bizarrely continuing to consume the product. It's either disingenuous or the wrestling community is full of intellectually bankrupt folks.

If I actively don't like a thing and want to argue its been bad for "so long" I don't consume that product or watch it. I stopped enjoying Walking Dead several seasons ago. I stopped watching it or participating in threads about it. I pulled out my Wii U to play Twilight Princess HD the other day and it had a millimeter of dust on it because I never played it. That doesn't mean I spent a bunch of time in the Wii U threads on gaming side buying every game and complaining they sucked. I just stopped playing it or thinking about it.

Despite how many people claim to like wrestling and hate WWE in particular, there's a pretty scant amount of actual discussion about the alternatives to that particular promotion.

People talk about lucha stuff, UK indies, etc, all the time in this thread. I wouldn't have subscribed to PROGRESS if I didn't read these threads. People are talking about the launch of the DDT streaming service today. There's a bunch of non WWE talk here.

Fox318

I'm actually surprised WWE hasn't tried to annex UUDD like they did with Zack Ryder's stuff

Woods did it with WWE cooperation.

Plus unlike Ryder they don't want to bury their top merch seller and most notable black performers on the roster.

Look at Del Rio. The guy was around for 2 weeks and he was postered on every truck, billboard, and TV ad they produced

Sephzilla

I never found any of that WWYKI schtick to be anything novel even though that was en vogue with "fourth-wall" breaking stuff with the rise of Punk and Bryan.

The Madden Tourney is some good stuff and reaffirms to me that Kofi is a cool ass dude. Not only Kofi; Neville, Rusev, and even Roman Reigns comes off as a likable in that show.

Kofi's smack talk game is legit. The dude never stops talking.

[UUDD Madden Raw Finals spoiler]
That loss he took to Rollins was brutal since Kofi played a legit game up until that fumble.

And yeah, everyone who comes onto UUDD ends up seeming like a cool ass dude. The only guy who seems kind of annoying on there is Zayn

Pikma

Banned
my problem is more with the fact that the tolerance is incredibly high for wrestling, probably the highest of any media or sports

I don't know any other show who can afford to be that bad for so long with so little to offer and still have so many people give them money
The Montreal Canadiens have been mediocre since before you were even born and to this day you still watch their games.

Kofi's smack talk game is legit. The dude never stops talking.

That loss he took to Rollins was brutal since Kofi played a legit game up until that fumble.

And yeah, everyone who comes onto UUDD ends up seeming like a cool ass dude. The only guy who seems kind of annoying on there is Zayn

Makes you really think about the heat he's probably getting. I see him as the Miles Teller-type person in Whiplash. Dude's gonna climb the mountain in spite of everyone. There's a million things he hasn't done....just you wait. Just you wait.

Also, FUCK I shouldn't have read that spoiler, forgot the Madden Raw Finals are up!

Can we talk about Whiplash? What a fucking movie. Talk about going into business for yourself. Top 5 ever for me maybe.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Absolutely agreed on every point, Grimace. To many wrestling fans, their relationship with WWE is like a bad marriage- every slight or dissapointment is so vividly remembered that the baggage cant be lifted. Things that used to be liked are now hated, and the smallest annoyances are dwelled upon and blown up (like when a wife is driven crazy by how her husband sips his coffee). While a new relationship (with a new promotion) is seen with rose-tinted glasses and the exact same annoyances completely forgiven.

If you go into something with the mindset that you won't enjoy it, you won't.

Makes you really think about the heat he's probably getting. I see him as the Miles Teller-type person in Whiplash. Dude's gonna climb the mountain in spite of everyone. There's a million things he hasn't done....just you wait. Just you wait.

Also, FUCK I shouldn't have read that spoiler, forgot the Madden Raw Finals are up!

I've never seen anything that suggested Sami Zayn has backstage heat. I think that's just an assumption the IWC makes because he isn't pushed to the moon. But it's not like WWE has the wrong idea about Zayn's character (even if the execution isn't particularly good).

Sephzilla

Can we talk about Whiplash? What a fucking movie. Talk about going into business for yourself. Top 5 ever for me maybe.

Zayn strikes me as a guy who's a bit of a stealth douchebag.

If you go into something with the mindset that you won't enjoy it, you won't.

I've never seen anything that suggested Sami Zayn has backstage heat. I think that's just an assumption the IWC makes because he isn't pushed to the moon. But it's not like WWE has the wrong idea about Zayn's character (even if the execution isn't particularly good).

Totally, I shouldn't say those are confirmed. Zayn is never supposed to be a badass. That whole backstage skit with Roman and Rollins was right for him. He's Nathan Drake in a room full of Marcus Fenix's.

Just like Miles Teller.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Hey, I give my thoughts on all the big shows :/.

The problem is that NJPW doesn't really have weekly shows that push forward a narrative like wwf does, so the discussion is bunched around 10-15 shows a year.

wwf has like 5 shows a week that push forward a narrative now, which is insane.

It's not that I disagree that WWE puts out a disproportionate amount of content, but I find it hard to believe people literally enjoy nothing about it.

It's not that he's a douchebag from what I understand, he's just in his own world. I think the story is mostly that he get comfortable too quickly and tends to be unfiltered.

The El Generico meets Axl Rose story: https://streamable.com/1nsg

Sami Zayn telling the story from his own perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Vj7owIhNY

Both versions are pretty funny.

Foggy

IWC is largely toxic but everyone has skin in that game.

Mostly I just wish more people were secure in what they like and don't get bent out of shape when something is criticized or praised.

Pikma

Banned
Remember when Lucha Underground was supposed to be the next big thing and a bunch of marks in here were even sporting LU-themed avatars for the long awaited season 2? Lol

Anth0ny

I don't know if there's a split of some kind with WWE but Austin could quit wrestling now and make a living with 1m+ subs off up up down down. easily.

genius way of using your stardom to create another stream of revenue

Gurrry

Ill be at the rumble this sunday. Cant wait. First ever PPV. Also going to PAX South on saturday. Gonna be a bad ass weekend for sure. I hope the crowd is hype. I always feel bad when I stand up at a wrestling show because I think I get a little more excited than the people behind me usually. I feel like I might be standing for the entire AJ Cena match.

But oh well fuck em.

It's not that I disagree that WWE puts out a disproportionate amount of content, but I find it hard to believe people literally enjoy nothing about it.

Well if they say that then they just don't like wrestling. Raw is garbage, but NXT feels like NWA wrestling which I love, and smackdown is pretty entertaining. Talking Smack is sublime.

I think an issue is that to a lot of people (which may or may not include vince), wwf = raw, and raw still sucks.

Remember when Lucha Underground was supposed to be the next big thing and a bunch of marks in here were even sporting LU-themed avatars for the long awaited season 2? Lol

You can still like a product's beginnings without liking what it is right now. LU caught lightning in a bottle and failed to maintain the momentum. Things can change.

Foggy

I don't even know what would have changed. LU's quality has stayed consistent even when the audience started to taper off. Their booking hasn't been flawless and I think their season-enders have been disappointing, but nothing to cause an exodus.

I don't know if there's a split of some kind with WWE but Austin could quit wrestling now and make a living with 1m+ subs off up up down down. easily.

genius way of using your stardom to create another stream of revenue

This is Steve Austin's telling you about this 20 x 20. Switch.

Just to name a few

Continuing to overpay for each episode of taping which crippled their budget and gave them less leverage to work with when it came to resigning talent like Ricochet, who bolted
Continued drama with AAA which affected both companies' relationships with other talent like Sexy Star and Pentagon
Continued overvaluing of their own product leading to them resisting low deals from the only places they got offers from like Netflix, which would have significantly and immediately boosted their audience and benefited them in numerous ways if accepted

Dave just did a big article on this stuff like a week or two ago that gets a lot more in depth about a lot more issues, including legitimately putting hope into fucking movies

Is Sasha vs Nia even gonna end in a match at this rate? I keep getting the vibe they'll just have Nia continued to beat her up and then just drop it.

I wonder if the fatal four way at Wrestlemania rumors end up true for the Raw women's division.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

It drives me up a wall how long it took them to realize how charismatic Kofi and company are, and it still drives me up a wall that they managed to make Reigns look so uncharismatic in the ring when he is immensely likable elsewhere.

Sephzilla

It drives me up a wall how long it took them to realize how charismatic Kofi and company are, and it still drives me up a wall that they managed to make Reigns look so uncharismatic in the ring when he is immensely likable elsewhere.

Reigns on UUDD is charismatic as fuck and it makes me understand why he probably gets the super push he gets

Angry Grimace

How the hell is the RR gonna be 4 hours? There are 4 matches plus the Rumble itself.

Angry Grimace

maybe we'll get a last minute announcement tonight that the Rumble is being upgraded to 40 people?

Or they'll announce the Ladies' Rumble.

(I assume there's gonna be a SmackDown women's match added plus a tag team match).

Top Bottom