• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned on AJ Styles yet.

rrc1594

You know what I'm calling Sami winning the RR. He is the only one that has the right build that makes sense to win in the last month.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know what I'm calling Sami winning the RR. He is the only one that has the right build that makes sense to win in the last month.

There's like a 0% chance Sami Zayn wins the Royal Rumble.

Goldberg looked like shit tonight. I think it's time for a Rollins feud.
iA3KbOG.gif

RuBhtQb.gif

:( But it makes sense. You have Braun like last person then Sami comes out #30 and eliminates the person who beat the shit out of him. He'll get a huge pop. Unless Finn is in RR I don't see anyone on Raw winning it.
What are you smokin, and can ya pass that shit?

Angry Grimace

:( But it makes sense. You have Braun like last person then Sami comes out #30 and eliminates the person who beat the shit out of him. He'll get a huge pop. Unless Finn is in RR I don't see anyone on Raw winning it.

Fucking Dead.

At this rate I expect a Goldberg/Brock double elimination to end the Rumble so nobody else has to win.

Everyone else even vaguely relevant has a locked match for WM.

Fucking Dead.
I mean...this kinda does make sense. I just don't see it happening. WWE is not great with continuity these days. Who knows?

Problem is... the heavy-handed forced-feeding is what ultimately undercuts any Roman build no matter who puts him over. That and the fact that he's overly scripted, terribly inorganic and they refuse to turn him heel or do anything more than the forced Cena booking that John was able to overcome because of his in-ring ability, charisma and showmanship. Natural gifts that even an improved Roman Reigns lacks.

This. Turning RAW into the 'Roman Reigns Appreciation Variety Show' is the problem here, having him go over or be associated with wrestlers far more over than him is what's killing, mainly because the fans can see right through it. Roman can go over everbody on the roster and all the legends and it wouldn't help him one bit, in fact it would just hurt him some more.

EDIT: I agree with friend OwensIsNow, Finn Balor is boring as shit.

Aiii

So not worth it

And now Sami Zayn verse Kevin Owens is headlining WrestleMania... Sure buddy.

This. Turning RAW into the 'Roman Reigns Appreciation Variety Show' is the problem here, having him go over or be associated with wrestlers far more over than him is what's killing, mainly because the fans can see right through it. Roman can go over everbody on the roster and all the legends and it wouldn't help him one bit, in fact it would just hurt him some more.

EDIT: I agree with friend OwensIsNow, Finn Balor is boring as shit.
Yeyeye
giphy.gif

Hasney

I saw the preview text for Raw and something finally caught my eye so I may as well ask how it was.

How was the special look at tomorrow night's SmackDown LIVE!?

Adree

It kinda sucks that there's no way to save Roman beyond turning him because he's not bad at all. His AJ feud was a lot of fun.

I would book it the other way around. Sami in from 6 or 7, and he hangs on. He's battered and bruised, damaged but surviving. Braun at 30, and we think oh god Sami is dead now and then he somehow somehow wins.

I think it's safe to say the storyline people won't win the rumble. Brock and Goldberg are eliminating each other - there's no sense in them in a title match at all. Roman's getting taken out by probably Strowman - I suspect that's the Mania US championship match. Triple H is eliminating Seth, probably with shenanigans. There's nobody on Smackdown side who's been sold as even giving a shit about the rumble. So unless they put the win on Samoa Joe, I think Sami is as valid a guess as any.

korly

tumblr_ohorjxZ49m1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

This was their respond when somebody showed off their love of the product by wearing clothing they sell to adults.

We may mock it here but these are the people the WWE should be going over backwards to love. Hell this is a pre show which the majority of people are watching on a service they pay extra for with him talking about his love for their reality spin off show on E!

But this is how they feel about everyone buying a ticket to the show. "Look at these fucking marks paying for this shit, don't they know it's fucking fake?" , "How dare these marks have an opinion on the product, how's their promotion going?"

This is why Austin's podcasts were great. You can't say that shit while looking at a man who was the biggest draw of all time and somebody who had to claw his fucking way to get their.

I could only make it through 8 minutes of that show last night before giving up. Putting a wrestling fan on that show instead of someone from the business just gives them the perfect opportunity to show outright contempt for their fans.

rrc1594

I would book it the other way around. Sami in from 6 or 7, and he hangs on. He's battered and bruised, damaged but surviving. Braun at 30, and we think oh god Sami is dead now and then he somehow somehow wins.

I think it's safe to say the storyline people won't win the rumble. Brock and Goldberg are eliminating each other - there's no sense in them in a title match at all. Roman's getting taken out by probably Strowman - I suspect that's the Mania US championship match. Triple H is eliminating Seth, probably with shenanigans. There's nobody on Smackdown side who's been sold as even giving a shit about the rumble. So unless they put the win on Samoa Joe, I think Sami is as valid a guess as any.

Out of everyone's build right now Sami story makes the most sense for RR win

UberTag

Roman eliminating the 50-year-old grandfather of the spear would be just fine by me. Especially if it means they wind up wrestling each other.

Let Braun Strowman fight Brock instead.

And keep those 4 away from everyone else.

I just don't want to see another 25+ minute Reigns match at Mania.

Thats the one thing I really don't want.
Yet another reason why we should all want to see Roman vs. Goldberg.
Now if we could just figure out a way to not be subjected to another 30+ minute Triple H match at Mania complete with ridiculous entrance and 20+ minutes of pre-match promo time with UFC alumni and other celebs.

Did they nerf everyone who's been around Roman for the past year so he looks like a bigger star?

- Rollins is back on the midcard and they took away his mic time
- Owens was doing moonsaults and sentons in big matches and now he has to do 20 headlocks so he looks like the heel
- Rusev is still feuding with Enzo for whatever reason and they put Jinder with him because reasons

ReiGun

I'm sure they'll send Dolph out to cut another promo about how he sucks and to say the Rumble is his ONE MORE CHANCE. The Miz will also probably say something, since he wants to hold both the IC and WWE titles.

But yeah, the Rumble winner is going to be someone from Raw. Smackdown's title picture is pretty set for Wrestlemania - either Cena or AJ (possibly Taker) is gonna be holding the thing come April, and they'll probably face each other - so no need wasting the Rumble win on someone from that side. I don't see them giving the win to Sami, but then I can't come up with a better guess.

Aiii

So not worth it
Uhm, so what the fuck even is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBhtn5uMYQ

Is it WWE fellating themselves over stupid marks?

I mean, I could understand if you had someone with some smarts about them opposite these two personalities. Because maybe then instead of getting yelled at, the guy could have said, "sure John, there's extra money in it now, but it also results in lower ratings and viewers turning their back on a program that is consistently perceived as dull and stale due to oversaturation. And those lower ratings will be looked at in Fall of 2019 and the Network will say, well, your program is now yielding way less viewers than three years ago and we are no longer willing to pay 172 million dollars for a show that only draws 2.0 ratings or lower. And where's your revenue then? Where's your long term?"

And then Heyman would go "oh you dumb fuck, we'll just put it on the Network instead and use that as leverage." And you could debate how dumb it is to have nothing on TV to use as an entryway into selling your Network and you would inevitably still lose hundreds of million of dollars.

*shrug*

Uhm, so what the fuck even is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uBhtn5uMYQ

Is it WWE fellating themselves over stupid marks?

I mean, I could understand if you had someone with some smarts about them opposite these two personalities. Because maybe then instead of getting yelled at, the guy could have said, "sure John, there's extra money in it now, but it also results in lower ratings and viewers turning their back on a program that is consistently perceived as dull and stale due to oversaturation. And those lower ratings will be looked at in Fall of 2019 and the Network will say, well, your program is now yielding way less viewers than three years ago and we are no longer willing to pay 172 million dollars for a show that only draws 2.0 ratings or lower. And where's your revenue then? Where's your long term?"

And then Heyman would go "oh you dumb fuck, we'll just put it on the Network instead and use that as leverage." And you could debate how dumb it is to have nothing on TV to use as an entryway into selling your Network and you would inevitably still lose hundreds of million of dollars.

*shrug*

Watch the entire show its like 45 minutes of that. You watch WWE RAW? YOU DUMB FUCKING MARK

They went after Bret on that show though he's about to start shooting.

Heyman comes across like a complete and utter fuckwit in that bit.

I mean, more power to them if they want to be marks for themselves but they won't have much leverage when it comes to negotiating new network terms.

It shouldn't shock anyone that a 3+ hour show has 1 hour+ of advertisement breaks people will think "fuck this, I have better shit to do." Or then complain because they actually want to watch a good product.

Menome

Sick today, so caught up on RAW in bed. Maybe it's the illness talking, but I thought it was okay for the most part. Genuinely thought the Jericho/Reigns and Zayn/Strowman matches were good.

They're really doing the right thing with Strowman in my mind. Making him an unbeatable monster in the story he has with Sami is what's needed for Sami's eventual win to feel like a true cathartic triumph. Imagine how shit this feud would be under standard 50/50 booking rules. Instead, I'm actively anticipating each match-up between the two, wondering if this is the time Sami finally gets his win.

It's good booking.

Actually let out an audible "oh come on!" when Reigns kicked out of the surprise codebreaker post DQ fake out, like at that exact moment any possible illusion of Jericho winning was shattered, perfect match ending situation with a decisive finisher hit? nah
It's not even that I wanted Reigns to lose, it's that someone like Jericho's finishers are so poorly protected by comparison to Reigns that the matches are like destined to be uninteresting.

Of course this isn't a surprise, I still vividly recall the Kane vs Reigns last man standing match where Reigns gets chokeslammed through a table, gets up and wins with one ordinary spear, like sweet JEEEZUS!

It will be super shit if AJ and The Miz aren't defending at Mania after the year they have each had.
I can't see aj doing some midcard shenanigans especially after how everyone assumed he'd be chasing the IC title or being low midcard when he debuted. Besides his ridiculous wrestlemania loss he has had the best first year out of anyone I've seen lately. He holds 2 (or is it 3) victories over Cena, is the face that runs Smackdown, has the most wins in the year and world champion.

Miz will fight ziggler and we will enjoy it dammit!

Menome

I'm also surprised we didn't get Kevin Owens coming out in disguise as Seth Rollins to try and get Roman disqualified.

Top Bottom