• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Hasney

Johnny Mundo fanboy in Lucha Underground is great. "I mean, after all, he is the best... He never did write me back though".

Kaladin

My latest WWE Network gift card ran out today. I just bought two of the six month gift cards to run me another year.

#partoftheproblem

I haven't seen a new Luncha underground gif in forever,has is been that bad?

Its like 80% good LU stuff like we've seen since the show started and 20% baffling sports entertainment parody. For instance, last week completed a best 3/5 series between Cage and Texano Jr that I really liked. If they used that to push Cage for a title shot or something it would have been great. Instead Cage wins this mysterious power gauntlet thing and when he puts it on there are terrible lightning effects all around. It was like a bad Mortal Kombat cut scene.

I only sub to the network for the PPVs because it's the easiest way to watch it in HD.
wtzgU.gif

Because I'm a fan and will always pay $9.99 for their back library, PPVs and Network events.
People act so weird about network subbing in this thread, so if i like the E&C show, Unfiltered, Talking Smack, NXT + The back library I'm supposed to go through the trouble of stealing them instead of subbing to stick it to Vince in some futile rebellion?

Caderfix

People act so weird about network subbing in this thread, so if i like the E&C show, Unfiltered, Talking Smack, NXT + The back library I'm supposed to go through the trouble of stealing them instead of subbing to stick it to Vince in some futile rebellion?

I agree that the network is not the problem, unless you are unsatisfied with absolutely everything they are offering, in which case you'd want to send the message that you don't want ANYTHING they have to offer. Now, if your problem is with the live shows, not watching / watching only what matters to you and then tuning out is more than enough to say you are not supporting the direction the company is taking.

Menome

Exactly. The weekly show isn't up-to-date on the Network, so it's not like that's what I'm paying money for each month.

klonere

Banned
Yeah I appreciate what LU is going for but it's extremely not my thing. Dropped it from my watch schedule a looonnggg time ago.

Kaladin

I agree that the network is not the problem, unless you are unsatisfied with absolutely everything they are offering, in which case you'd want to send the message that you don't want ANYTHING they have to offer. Now, if your problem is with the live shows, not watching / watching only what matters to you and then tuning out is more than enough to say you are not supporting the direction the company is taking.

Pretty much. Network viewership numbers drive more reaction than subscriber rage quits which honestly don't really affect their bottom line till you start seeing it in large numbers which doesn't seem to be happening.

Hasney

Pretty much. Network viewership numbers drive more reaction than subscriber rage quits which honestly don't really affect their bottom line till you start seeing it in large numbers which doesn't seem to be happening.

I doubt the viewership does. That's the whole "fuck you we got your money" all over again.

Perople forget they're subbed to services like this, so if you're not watching, they're not caring.

Network numbers aren't as important as raw ratings anyway. If people want to make statement, stop watching raw in any way - live, hulu or those youtube clips they do.

Kaladin

I doubt the viewership does. That's the whole "fuck you we got your money" all over again.

Perople forget they're subbed to services like this, so if you're not watching, they're not caring.

I disagree. High numbers for things like the Stone Cold Podcast eventually paved the way for more content like that.

I'd even say the same goes for the CWC and eventually the UK Championship Tournament.

When programs get good reviews, they find ways to do more like it. Remember Legends House? That didn't get good reviews. We haven't had another.

Caderfix

Network numbers aren't as important as raw ratings anyway. If people want to make statement, stop watching raw in any way - live, hulu or those youtube clips they do.

That's it. Nowadays I'm checking youtube reviews, like the LAW ones, and only watch a show once a month in order to know if anything changed for the better and that's it for RAW. I still watch SmackDown weekly though, as it is pretty consistent in my opinion.

Hasney

I appreciate LU is doing something new, but it really begins to grind and feel like the same show over and over after 10 or so episodes.

Well it takes more episodes than Raw then at least.

I disagree. High numbers for things like the Stone Cold Podcast eventually paved the way for more content like that.

I'd even say the same goes for the CWC and eventually the UK Championship Tournament.

When programs get good reviews, they find ways to do more like it. Remember Legends House? That didn't get good reviews. We haven't had another.

That's different though. That's finding whats working to put it on the network to attract new viewers/keeping those that do cancel when there's nothing on. If you just leave your subscription running and watch nothing, they won't care about that.

Caderfix

Outside of ppvs no one watches Network exclusive content.

Yes they do. Stuff like table for three, ride along (?), Edge and Christian, documentaries and old shows are things people care about. In this very thread we have quite a few people going through the history of the WWE chronologically and comments about exclusive shows are not hard to find as well (at least weren't back in mid 2016 or so).

What money is lost if the ratings fluctuate week to week? WWE still has their contract with USA and advertisers will continue to buy ad space.
Outside of ppvs no one watches Network exclusive content.
Does WWE release numbers on this or are you just going with your gut here?

Caderfix

What money is lost if the ratings fluctuate week to week? WWE still has their contract with USA and advertisers will continue to buy ad space.

The contract will end and they most likely won't be offered as good of a deal when and if USA decides to renew due to not consistent and lower ratings as the time goes by.

Heroman

Banned

Dave and Byran talk about it a few weeks back

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Kenny has a lot of bad opinions about WWE signings/signees. He's one of the very, very few guys that can make WWE-level money without actually being there, and its actually pretty annoying hearing him complain about WWE's signing practices when the reality is that he's like the only person that can do what he does - and that's not just on the back of Kenny being good, its the simple mathematical proposition that NJPW isn't in the market for a ton of foreign wrestlers. People like Tommy End or Big Damo aren't going to be headlining the Tokyo Dome any time soon so its a bit rich to whine about them signing with WWE, or to complain that WWE signs a bunch of guys who aren't pushed to the moon because the reality is not all of these signees are going to make it.

Kaladin

What does even mean, there are no numbers to this

It's the closest thing we get to a Network ratings list.....and it's just the Network publishing rankings for their latest shows with no metrics. It is interesting what shows up where though, like there is some kind of metric behind it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What does even mean, there are no numbers to this

I mean, the idea that "nobody" watches anything other than PPVs on the Network was kind of silly to begin with. You can criticize WWE for a lot of things, but adding value to that $10 sub isn't one of them - they add lots and lots of random crap to the Network all of the time to keep people subbed and they wouldn't do it if nobody was watching any of it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Davey Boy Smith Jr. ‏@DBSmithjr 2h2 hours ago
Heading back to Japan today ���� #yearofthebulldog ����✊️

Who's ready for more meaningless, washed up factions in NJPW?

You are!

Dave's pretty consistently said the archives and Network-exclusives like Holy Foley, Table for 3 and documentaries, while getting viewership, are significantly dwarfed in said viewership consistently by recent/live PPVs. It's not even close, and the only purpose they really serve is basically being considered stat padding for the Network (adds more content and hours they get to brag about in ads and on conference calls)

Foggy

Kenny has a lot of bad opinions about WWE signings/signees. He's one of the very, very few guys that can make WWE-level money without actually being there, and its actually pretty annoying hearing him complain about WWE's signing practices when the reality is that he's like the only person that can do what he does - and that's not just on the back of Kenny being good, its the simple mathematical proposition that NJPW isn't in the market for a ton of foreign wrestlers. People like Tommy End or Big Damo aren't going to be headlining the Tokyo Dome any time soon so its a bit rich to whine about them signing with WWE, or to complain that WWE signs a bunch of guys who aren't pushed to the moon because the reality is not all of these signees are going to make it.

Their talents are being wasted, it's as simple as that. They're sacrificing growth and excellence for prestige and an easier paycheck. If that's what they value, that's fine, but for someone in his position and what he's done to get to that point I don't blame him. Besides, that's the kayfabe side of it. He's working his peers and he's working the people who for some reason get upset about this.

Unfortunately as long as WWE stays in the position they've been in viewership/ratings rankings it might not change that much but the idea that the WWEN is some sort of bargaining chip is laughable, there's absolutely no way in hell they could convince enough people to offset the revenue from losing their domestic TV deal. Hell, it's been years and they're struggling to hit 1.5M paid subscribers, not to mention they'd lose their advertising platform.

On the three hours company shill bullshit again, during one of the "death of WCW" propaganda interviews I wonder if Heyman or JBL commented on the damage going three hours with Nitro caused.

Of course WWE is different, it's a ship steered by the genius that is Vince McMahon who beat Ted Turner and the federal government!

I would mark the fuck out if Scott Hall tazers his ass at 173...
Reigns still kicks out at two.

Del Rio's story is not going to end well if he continues like this.

If I were to do the ever so morbid death pool I'd be putting him and Paige on it. I don't see this shit ending well. =\

It's just a repurposed Roma shirt
1483468793943jqoa2.jpg

also

So creative with the merch! How big of a jabroni mark would you have to be to buy one?

How many times has WWE used the "____ _____ ____ Repeat" thing so far? I know Brock's "Eat Sleep Conquer Repeat" one but I'm pretty sure they've used it for others, right?

Top Bottom