• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Sephzilla

Which is fitting as Goldberg stole Roman's finisher.

lERfg6f.gif

Roman stole it from Gillberg

Pikma

Banned
Their talents are being wasted, it's as simple as that. They're sacrificing growth and excellence for prestige and an easier paycheck. If that's what they value, that's fine, but for someone in his position and what he's done to get to that point I don't blame him. Besides, that's the kayfabe side of it. He's working his peers and he's working the people who for some reason get upset about this.
Shut up foggy, you're a mark

Remember day one when they said they expected 4 mil long term paid subs

lmfao

It just shows how disconnected these people are when it comes to things outside their bubble, I would love an interview with Vince that isn't just softballs being lobbed like the Jericho/Stephanie "podcast" that likely lead to Jericho blocking me on Twitter, the Austin one was decent but still could've been better. I'd love to know what the last TV series Vince watched because you know he hasn't really watched much TV in the last 15 years, hell 25 years because I'm still pretty certain Vince's grasp on pop culture ended somewhere before 1985. Also, who knew insulting your audience wouldn't be a way to drive them to your subscription service?

Watching old shows that I saw when they were new just isn't compelling enough for like, the vast majority of their potential audience then again, maybe I'm in the minority but I have no interest in re-watching old wrestling shows these days. Hell current ones are a big enough struggle as it is let alone shows I already know the results of.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
Geeeez, just caught the finish of the Jericho/Reigns match, commentary going in hard to put Roman over. "You've got to give Roman credit", "Another title defense", "THE BIG DOG". I get it, Roman is the guy you want, I get it.

ElRenoRaven

So wrestleGAF I have some questions. Thinking of adding a streaming source besides WWE Network. This floslam interests the hell out of me but is it worth it? Do you think they'll continue adding promotions or will it just kind of sputter and go away?

Thinking of doing the 150 for a year since that would save almost 8 bucks a month.

People act so weird about network subbing in this thread, so if i like the E&C show, Unfiltered, Talking Smack, NXT + The back library I'm supposed to go through the trouble of stealing them instead of subbing to stick it to Vince in some futile rebellion?

I know, right?

I've been subscribed to the WWE Network since day one and don't have a single regret. Raw is trash tier lately, but I don't have a problem with anything else.

ElRenoRaven

I know, right?

I've been subscribed to the WWE Network since day one and don't have a single regret. Raw is trash tier lately, but I don't have a problem with anything else.

Shit network is worth it for NXT and original content easily. More so once they get the UK based show going on it. I loved what they've put up of the Mick and his family's show. I love Ride Along. Then Swerved is awesome. I was glad to get a season 2. Then Camp WWE was cool. Shame they had so few episodes of it.

So wrestleGAF I have some questions. Thinking of adding a streaming source besides WWE Network. This floslam interests the hell out of me but is it worth it? Do you think they'll continue adding promotions or will it just kind of sputter and go away?

Thinking of doing the 150 for a year since that would save almost 8 bucks a month.

Personally, it was worth it for me as I was already buying most EVOLVE iPPVs for $10-15 twice/three times a month, so this works out a lot cheaper - if you're interested in following EVOLVE, then go for it. The other stuff's an added bonus, but it'll be interesting to see which indies they do sign in addition to those already on board. Hopefully something cool, IPW:UK's a good addition and their live supershow later this month should be a lot of fun.

Sephzilla

Vince will be on his death bed and he'll still be trying to think of ways to get Roman over without turning him heel. I fully believe Roman is Vince's last great attempt to prove to everyone that he is still a genius.

ElRenoRaven

Personally, it was worth it for me as I was already buying most EVOLVE iPPVs for $10-15 twice/three times a month, so this works out a lot cheaper - if you're interested in following EVOLVE, then go for it. The other stuff's an added bonus, but it'll be interesting to see which indies they do sign in addition to those already on board. Hopefully something cool, IPW:UK's a good addition and their live supershow later this month should be a lot of fun.

Yea. I would kill for Wrestle Circus to work something out and join up. Course for such a new fed I think it will probably be awhile.Evolve is a huge draw I do admit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Their talents are being wasted, it's as simple as that. They're sacrificing growth and excellence for prestige and an easier paycheck. If that's what they value, that's fine, but for someone in his position and what he's done to get to that point I don't blame him. Besides, that's the kayfabe side of it. He's working his peers and he's working the people who for some reason get upset about this.
I mean, for one, those guys need to provide for their families, and second, I don't know that its true. Apollo Crews might be dying on the vine, but he's making enough money to provide for his whole family.

I was about to use Kevin Steen as an example of a guy who's getting used to his potential, but that's a pretty bad example, actually. He's such a good fit for the WWE style that its probably a bad thing if the WWE was using him as an example and hoping to pick up more versions of him in the indies.

Vince will be on his death bed and he'll still be trying to think of ways to get Roman over without turning him heel. I fully believe Roman is Vince's last great attempt to prove to everyone that he is still a genius.

I think its an example of Vince digging in his heels against all logic combined with the fact that Roman doesn't seem to give a shit. There's plenty of evidence that guys like Rock, Austin or Jericho would have gone to Vince a long time ago to try and change the character to get over. Vince just doesn't want to admit he fucked up with the 2015 Rumble. I understand the kind of character he's trying to build, but its just not going to work once the fans are onto you.

They'll keep adding promotions yes, and I'd say it's definitely worth a sub for the archives

That said, if you want the best value, I'd say maybe wait until near Mania time. That's gonna more than earn its value on Mania weekend for the sheer content it'll have

Sephzilla

I think its an example of Vince digging in his heels against all logic combined with the fact that Roman doesn't seem to give a shit. There's plenty of evidence that guys like Rock, Austin or Jericho would have gone to Vince a long time ago to try and change the character to get over. Vince just doesn't want to admit he fucked up with the 2015 Rumble. I understand the kind of character he's trying to build, but its just not going to work once the fans are onto you.

So Roman is a biproduct of Vince being upset that everyone shit on Batista because Vince didn't push the most over guy in a decade?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The fact that Raw kind of sucks doesn't even matter for me because SmackDown being good now is a huge improvement because Raw and SmackDown both sucked the last decade or so.

It's hard to say the Brand Split didn't work when one of the shows is now worth watching.

So Roman is a biproduct of Vince being upset that everyone shit on Batista because Vince didn't push the most over guy in a decade?

I meant the 2015 Rumble, actually. The worst part is that the booking of that Rumble suggested that Vince knew at least vaguely how it was going to be received, but he either didn't give a fuck or dramatically underestimated how much the audience doesn't like when its super obvious a dude is getting a monster push.

I never thought the Roman Problem was due to his bad promos or wrestling skills. It's just that nobody wants to cheer for the guy who is being transparently pushed as the guy. In any other era, I think Vince would have figured out that the correct move was to pull the worked shoot angle and have Roman be Vince's Chosen Champion (as a heel, of course) on camera, as well as in real life. That's a legitimately good, organic angle (that has the hint of truth that makes wrestling angles work) that Vince is blowing because he's too stubborn to admit that he can't just create a John Cena from thin air.

Sephzilla

The fact that Raw kind of sucks doesn't even matter for me because SmackDown being good now is a huge improvement because Raw and SmackDown both sucked the last decade or so.

It's hard to say the Brand Split didn't work when one of the shows is now worth watching.

Smackdown is worth watching because of Styles and Miz, and because it's a shorter show. Meanwhile, Raw actually got worse because of the Brand Split. All in all I think the Brand Split as it was done was a really bad idea.

A better idea for a Brand Split would have been to have no "formal" brand split. Have certain wrestlers appear just on Raw and others just on Smackdown - that way you achieve the "each show has different talent" feel but then if you have a bigger storyline you want to tell like AJ Styles fighting Kevin Owens for the WWE Title, then you aren't handcuffed by a brand split and can have both wrestlers on both shows for the duration of that story. Make the US Title the highlight belt of Raw and make the Intercontinental Title the highlight belt of Smackdown. Keep the Womens and Tag divisions together (because the brand split was horrible for these).

Angry Grimace

Smackdown is worth watching because of Styles and Miz, and because it's a shorter show. Meanwhile, Raw actually got worse because of the Brand Split. All in all I think the Brand Split as it was done was a really bad idea.

A better idea for a Brand Split would have been to have no "formal" brand split. Have certain wrestlers appear just on Raw and others just on Smackdown - that way you achieve the "each show has different talent" feel but then if you have a bigger storyline you want to tell like AJ Styles fighting Kevin Owens for the WWE Title, then you aren't handcuffed by a brand split and can have both wrestlers on both shows for the duration of that story. Make the US Title the highlight belt of Raw and make the Intercontinental Title the highlight belt of Smackdown. Keep the Womens and Tag divisions together (because the brand split was horrible for these).

They used to have the top SmackDown guys show up on Raw for whatever reason all the time in the last brand split, and it was mostly bad. Having the lines between shows get blurred isn't usually good.

Sephzilla

They used to have the top SmackDown guys show up on Raw for whatever reason all the time in the last brand split, and it was mostly bad. Having the lines between shows get blurred isn't usually good.

Having strict lines that hurt a few of your divisions isn't good either. I think in terms of product quality the brand split hurt more than helped

I mean, for one, those guys need to provide for their families, and second, I don't know that its true. Apollo Crews might be dying on the vine, but he's making enough money to provide for his whole family.

I was about to use Kevin Steen as an example of a guy who's getting used to his potential, but that's a pretty bad example, actually. He's such a good fit for the WWE style that its probably a bad thing if the WWE was using him as an example and hoping to pick up more versions of him in the indies.

Im so glad I am not the only one who can see this.

The Brand resulted in a WWE show that is actually watchable. It's the best thing to happen to WWE in forever. SmackDown Live 4 lyfe

The "brand split" would be working better if the competition between brands felt legitimate and the shows actually had different feels to them beyond the dread of Raw being three hours long opposed to Smackdown being two hours and in turn easier to digest. If Smackdown was three hours (and I'm dreading TV deal renewals leading to this) it'd probably be just as hard to get through as Raw is. NXT has been a shell since the brand split and creatively since Dusty passed away and it's getting frustrating to watch in a creative sense.

It was hilarious how hard WWE tried to co-opt and siphon the heat Bryan was getting onto other talent with it failing miserably every time. Vince honestly believes, like much of the entertainment industry, that he can dictate what people like and they'll like it and he never seems to learn how that doesn't work despite how many times in the past its failed.

EDIT: I remember months ago when "Smackdown Live" premiered and we were getting some new camera shots and hopes that it meant something different would actually be happening at least with the way the show was shot but nope.

Caderfix

The split makes me sad for the performers I like that are stuck on RAW (KO, Zayn, Rollins and Cesaro), but at the same time SmackDown is the best weekly show the WWE has offered in a LONG time. I'm happy with it.

Pikma

Banned
The last time Smackdown was good half of it's stars died and a couple of others were pretty close too, I wonder what tragic ending it'll have this time

UberTag

People act so weird about network subbing in this thread, so if i like the E&C show, Unfiltered, Talking Smack, NXT + The back library I'm supposed to go through the trouble of stealing them instead of subbing to stick it to Vince in some futile rebellion?
Look at it this way. The WWE will never get any better unless people vote with their wallets because they wholesale reject any other way that their audience provides feedback - constructive or otherwise - about their product.

Additionally, it doesn't matter WHAT content you're providing them your money for, they will interpret your $9.99/month as a ringing endorsement for the current product and that you want to see Roman Reigns look strong.

So, if you're comfortable with undermining the hopes of wrestling fans to ever see a better product so you can pay $120 a year or more on a bunch of variety shows that have very little to do with the core WWE product, that's fine. You should wear that badge with pride and not feel hostile when fans hold you accountable for it.

There's nothing futile about this, by the way. Why do you perceive the idea of fans voting with their wallets as futile? There are shareholders that have influence and want to see profits and return on their investment regardless of whether Vince is alive or not.

NXT as a weekly show has been pretty bad for some time. The PPV's are always great but everything in between isn't.

Edit: I'm guessing that's down to the former writer there now currently being a writer for Smackdown which explains why SD is good right now.

Caderfix

Additionally, it doesn't matter WHAT content you're providing them your money for, they will interpret your $9.99/month as a ringing endorsement for the current product and that you want to see Roman Reigns look strong.

The network might be something they are 100% behind, but TV is still the most important thing due to the revenue.

Again, supporting the Network =/= supporting the weekly TV shows.

Angry Grimace

NXT was already the watchable Smackdown show. The brand split basically murdered NXT.

I was thinking about this a while back and I think one of NXT's big problems is that Joe and Nakamura hurt NXT more than they help. It turns the entire brand into 2 S-tier guys surrounded by goobers who have no real chance to do anything because Tye Dillinger isn't credibly going to beat Nakamura or Samoa Joe.

But Dillinger could credibly beat shitheel champion Bobby Roode or anyone else on the roster. Dude could and should be the new Sami Zayn in NXT.

Tall4Life

NXT as a weekly show has been pretty bad for some time. The PPV's are always great but everything in between isn't.

Edit: I'm guessing that's down to the former writer there now currently being a writer for Smackdown which explains why SD is good right now.

Most of the NXT roster from the glory days is on the main roster (as they should be) so there is a bit of a hole there. During those glory days they refused to really introduce anyone new or put them over, that's on the writers. Now that they don't have their established talent they're rebuilding, and it's been getting better. The men's division has a deeper core of talent then they've ever had now that Joe/Nak is done. Almas, NWJ, Roddy, Roode, Tye, Young, etc... They have a lot of good guys and they're actually getting CHARACTERS.

The tag division is the best its ever been. DIY, Revival, AoP, TM61 to a lesser extent...they're doing great.

The women's is probably the weakest link right now. No strong contenders for the NXT women's title. Sanity has been promising so far and I could see some good shit coming with Nikki/Ember/Asuka. At the very least with the rest of the division, they are getting characters and getting TV time, meanwhile before it was just the four horsewomen. They have the most work to do.

But NXT is slowly getting better again.

Sephzilla

NXT's big problem is that it has exactly one credible top guy. I actually think Joe and Nakamura hurt NXT more than they help because it turned the entire brand into 2 Tier S guys and a bunch of goobers who have no real chance to ever compete for the title.

The problem is that Nakamura, and Joe to a lesser extent, came in as NXT was slowly starting to lose its top tier talent. NXT lost Owens, Neville, Charlotte, Sasha, Zayn (to injury), Hideo Itami (again, injury), Becky Lynch, and Tyson Kidd all just before or after Joe showed up in NXT. And then NXT lost Zayn (properly), Corbin, Breeze, American Alpha, Nia Jax, Alexa Bliss, Bayley, the Vaudevillains, and Finn Balor all not long after Nakamura came in.

NXT needing to revolve around Joe and Nakamura is just a biproduct of a ton of call ups happening.

Top Bottom