• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Kaladin

Friends, Roman-fans and WrassleGaf-men. We have 28 entrants in the 2017 WrassleGaf Royal Ramble Lethal Lottery!

What is this you ask? Enter and you will receive a number to root for. Whoever comes out, you root for them to win the Rumble.....it's fun rooting for jobbers, eh?

PM me by Friday at 5pm EST to enter. You can only enter once and no lurkers are allowed.

What jobber will you get this year? Enter and find out.

Mahonay

Banned
boy if only there was a PPV made for surprise comebacks coming up soon

;)
;)
;)
;)
I'm able to enjoy Royal Rumble comebacks because most of the time they are for one night only.

With that said, I am super glad I wasn't watching when Nash appeared at the Rumble as Diesel, but they actually kept him around to have a heinously bad feud with CM Punk.

Caderfix

original.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Rocky Maivia could have said the same exact thing in 1997
Except they turned him heel within a year. It's been 3 now with Roman.

Obviously Vince had motivation to change what he was doing when things weren't working, since in his mind Ted Turner was trying to end him.

Vince is still happy that he won now and is good with just coasting.

Anth0ny

Except they turned him heel within a year. It's been 3 now with Roman.

Obviously Vince had motivation to change what he was doing when things weren't working, since in his mind Ted Turner was trying to end him.

Vince is still happy that he won now and is good with just coasting.

That's what I'm saying. Like of course Roman Reigns could just come out and say "But I'm winning! I'm happy! Why would I turn heel?" the same way Rocky Maivia could have just completely ignored reality. Or any other stale "babyface" that painfully needed a heel run.

Instead, he dropped a "die Rocky die" promo and the rest is history. Roman needs his die Rocky die moment.

Lupercal

Banned
Friends, Roman-fans and WrassleGaf-men. We have 28 entrants in the 2017 WrassleGaf Royal Ramble Lethal Lottery!

What is this you ask? Enter and you will receive a number to root for. Whoever comes out, you root for them to win the Rumble.....it's fun rooting for jobbers, eh?

PM me by Friday at 5pm EST to enter. You can only enter once and no lurkers are allowed.

What jobber will you get this year? Enter and find out.

I'll enter if I'm allowed :p

Mahonay

Banned
That's what I'm saying. Like of course Roman Reigns could just come out and say "But I'm winning! I'm happy! Why would I turn heel?" the same way Rocky Maivia could have just completely ignore reality. Or any other stale "babyface" that painfully needed a heel run.

Instead, he dropped a "die Rocky die" promo and the rest is history. Roman needs his die Rocky die moment.
Who's idea was it to actually turn Rocky Maivia heel?

jmdajr

Fans.

I refuse to believe heel Rocky was Vince's idea considering the long trend of Vince being wrong about potential top stars.

I recall Rock asking Vince to go heel. I don't recall how I got this information, but I clearly remember it.

No doubt face flop sped up the process.

Hasney

Fans.

I refuse to believe heel Rocky was Vince's idea considering the long trend of Vince being wrong about potential top stars.

Eh, back in that time and with the competition to do something compelling, he was right a lot.

Now he knows he can just push anyone that gets him to full mast and the kids will eat up their shit and buy merch. He's not stupid, he just doesn't care.

Mahonay

Banned
I recall Rock asking Vince to go heel. I don't recall how I got this information, but I clearly remember it.

No doubt face flop sped up the process.
Now that I think about it, I think Rock has said that he wanted to go heel at the time. Not sure if he requested it or not.

EDIT: Nope
They saw what was happening and pitched it to Rock, Rock was afraid and thought it would ruin his career lol! Then Jr pitched the bragging part of his character, it was influenced by Deion Sanders.
OK actually yes I remember this now.

Sephzilla

Eh, back in that time and with the competition to do something compelling, he was right a lot.

Now he knows he can just push anyone that gets him to full mast and the kids will eat up their shit and buy merch. He's not stupid, he just doesn't care.

Was he? He saddled Austin with a shit gimmick and the proposed replacements for Ringmaster were even worse. He didn't believe in Mick Foley until Foley gave the best promo of his career. Rock was given the most vanilla 80s babyface gimmick possible. D-Generation X was entirely HBK and HHH's idea and they had to actively fight Vince to get to do what they wanted. A lot of the big stuff from that era happened as a result of the talent pushing for something and didn't come from Vince's mind.

Hasney

Was he? He saddled Austin with a shit gimmick and the proposed replacements for Ringmaster were even worse. He didn't believe in Mick Foley until Foley gave the best promo of his career. Rock was given the most vanilla 80s babyface gimmick possible. D-Generation X was entirely HBK and HHH's idea and they had to actively fight Vince to get to do what they wanted. A lot of the big stuff from that era happened as a result of the talent pushing for something and didn't come from Vince's mind.

I meant more that he was good with changing course once he had that talent and read the crowd. Yeah, initial gimmicks and reading talent before they came into the fold wasn't a strong suit.

Sephzilla

I meant more that he was good with changing course once he had that talent and read the crowd. Yeah, initial gimmicks and reading talent before they came into the fold wasn't a strong suit.

Ah ok, that makes more sense. In hindsight the Attitude Era just seems like Vince was forced into giving fans what they wanted instead of giving fans what he wanted.

I wanna say it was a combination of Russo, Corny, and Prichard all said during that era they would go out and listen to the reaction of the crowd and push toward them. Now, they turn down the mics lmfao!

klonere

Banned
I wanna say it was a combination of Russo, Corny, and Prichard all said during that era they would go out and listen to the reaction of the crowd and push toward them. Now, they turn down the mics lmfao!

They don't have to listen anymore, monopoly etc etc etc etc forever

Lothar

Banned

As much as people think Russo is an idiot and he is but there's still lots of things he did better than any other writer. There's no question that he listened to the fans. There's video of him listening in the crowd. http://youtu.be/_Ax-eiYcJ60

I bet he was the one that said the Rock had to turn.

Speaking of JR, it's sad to see another person I used to respect turn out to be scum:

“I had no issues with [the tribute]. I was glad they recognized it and recognized his passing. For wrestling fans, for many of them, he meant a lot to a generation of fans. I’m glad that they acknowledged it. It’s the wrong form, in my view, to continue to wear out a topic of a trial that never happened and a court case that’s been dismissed. I don’t know what happened and all this other stuff regarding Jimmy and the lady that was murdered. But golly, there’s a time and place to discuss those issues. And one would think that we’d have enough intelligence to let the family – he had a lot of kids, man. They have friends and they have cousins and I think to just let the family grieve before we go back on this Oliver Stone quest of proving Jimmy Snuka posthumously was a murderer. It’s ridiculous. It’s embarrassing.”

Kaladin

Speaking of JR, it's sad to see another person I used to respect turn out to be scum:

“I had no issues with [the tribute]. I was glad they recognized it and recognized his passing. For wrestling fans, for many of them, he meant a lot to a generation of fans. I’m glad that they acknowledged it. It’s the wrong form, in my view, to continue to wear out a topic of a trial that never happened and a court case that’s been dismissed. I don’t know what happened and all this other stuff regarding Jimmy and the lady that was murdered. But golly, there’s a time and place to discuss those issues. And one would think that we’d have enough intelligence to let the family – he had a lot of kids, man. They have friends and they have cousins and I think to just let the family grieve before we go back on this Oliver Stone quest of proving Jimmy Snuka posthumously was a murderer. It’s ridiculous. It’s embarrassing.”

I see nothing wrong here.

Top Bottom