• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Anth0ny

Miz's 2016 (and 2017 most likely) has me wondering: who are some other dudes that had really great career resurgences after being in WWE for so long? Hall of Pain Mark Henry comes to mind immediately.

Goldust a couple of years ago when he was tagging with his brother. got in amazing shape and was consistently having awesome matches. I remember being amazed at how well he was moving.

Just cause Miz can cut a "shoot" promo doesn't make him the best midcard champ since the 80s.

I can't even.

yesh

midcard belts have been so garbage for as long as I can remember

miz isn't even just cutting shoot promos, he's finally learned how to have good matches and his straight up regular promos are now amazing. he's evolved as a performer, finally. he's amazing right now.

miz vs babyface AJ is THE match on smackdown right now.

FE don't be mad that Miz can get actual heat instead of 'lol we're smark faves' heels that you like

69c0b62308243947c2ac885e1cd3d853.png

This is prolly the best has been in his career and has had a resurgence since that promo against Bryan in Talking Smack. Dood deserves a ton of credit for all the work he has done. But in the grand scheme of things, he is still a soft, boring, jello jobber. One "shoot" promo that excites the smarks isn't going to change that.

ReiGun

I disagree

The Miz bought this on himself

He was the one who cost Dean Ambrose the WWE Title number one contender match
He was the one who wanted to publicly out him and Renee
He was the one who attacked Dean Ambrose after a beat down from the Wyatt Family.

So he put himself in Dean's crosshair... and think screwing him out of the WWE Title match should justify him for the IC title that Miz holds

Also while it was a DQ... think since Dean wasn't hurt and ref kicked Maryse out, it was fair... sometimes need to be a bit loose with the rules!

Nope. That was a clear DQ and ref was gonna call it as such. And story-wise, Bryan would never let Miz get away with influencing a ref's decision, so Dean shouldn't be able to do it.

Plus, Miz already beat Dean for the title last month. He needs to get his lunatic ass to the back of the line!

The midcard has always meant shit for this company's creative team, you just need to take a look at what Roman has been doing to the US title to realize that even though The Miz is fucking great it doesn't take that much to make it to the top of the all-time midcard champs list

He has elevated the IC title to a place it hasn't been since the attitude era. His character has made that belt valuable and a title that people give a shit about. His promo skills are off the charts as well as his look and his overall persona. Never going to have a five star match but people actually give a damn about his matches because HE has made the matches worth caring about by being the most consistent character in the company for two solid years.

I'd argue that Cena and Rusev did more for the US Title than Miz did for the IC. Of course, it depends on what happens next and the based off the track record, it isn't looking good.

Goldust a couple of years ago when he was tagging with his brother. got in amazing shape and was consistently having awesome matches. I remember being amazed at how well he was moving.

midcard belts have been so garbage for as long as I can remember

miz isn't even just cutting shoot promos, he's finally learned how to have good matches and his straight up regular promos are now amazing. he's evolved as a performer, finally. he's amazing right now.

miz vs babyface AJ is THE match on smackdown right now

agreed

Raw64life

Just slept for 4 hours. It's now 11:30 PM here. WrestleKingdom starts in 2 1/2 hours. I have work in 9 hours. Let's see how this goes.

ElRenoRaven

See they need the attitude Talking Smack brings on the main shows. You see bits of it showing up on Smackdown hence the better show but Raw is still firmly dullsville.

cordy

Banned
You know what's funny about all the Ambrose negative talk? Get this...

He'll be the Roman Reigns of SD.

Ambrose is going to be an IC Champion who rarely gets beaten and can contend with whoever's WWE Champion. People saying "he'll stay in the midcard for a long time" don't understand SD. Ambrose hasn't been pinned clean since Lesnar. He's an even bigger threat on SD. I can see it now. Ambrose will face whoever's WWE Champion and always contend with them no matter who it is and will always lose due to BS (unless it's Cena). That's how it is. Like Reigns in WWE Championship matches, expect to see Ambrose in main events taking on whoever your WWE Champion is.

You gotta love it.

One thing I will say is Ambrose at least looks better then he was last year. By last years rumble dude was a stick.

Ambrose%201a_zpsn5xwok1h.jpg

HHH must be letting him hit the Shield-era juice again.

UberTag

See they need the attitude Talking Smack brings on the main shows. You see bits of it showing up on Smackdown hence the better show but Raw is still firmly dullsville.
They could easily infuse that bloated 3-hour mess of a RAW with Talking Smack-segments in between all of the in-ring action to move storylines forward.

They simply choose not to.

Pikma

Banned
One thing I will say is Ambrose at least looks better then he was last year. By last years rumble dude was a stick.

He could look like fucking Zeus but his shit performances would still make him look like the overpushed jobber he is

Bronx-Man

Banned
They could easily infuse that bloated 3-hour mess of a RAW with Talking Smack-segments in between all of the in-ring action to move storylines forward.

They simply choose not to.

I still say that snowed-in episode of Raw is exactly how I would book it it if I was in charge. That was great.

UberTag

I still say that snowed-in episode of Raw is exactly how I would book it it if I was in charge. That was great.
That shit was phenomenal. Especially given that they threw it together on the fly. They just need to intersect stuff like that with the in-ring material. And let the crowd actually watch and react to that nonsense to stay amped instead of forcing them to sit through a static RAW logo on the Titantron (but also, don't SHOW us the crowd watching it... just have them do it).

Ambrose is going to be an IC Champion who rarely gets beaten and can contend with whoever's WWE Champion. People saying "he'll stay in the midcard for a long time" don't understand SD. Ambrose hasn't been pinned clean since Lesnar. He's an even bigger threat on SD. I can see it now. Ambrose will face whoever's WWE Champion and always contend with them no matter who it is and will always lose due to BS (unless it's Cena). That's how it is. Like Reigns in WWE Championship matches, expect to see Ambrose in main events taking on whoever your WWE Champion is.

You gotta love it.
not out of the picture for a long time, but he hasn't been involved with the title scene for a few weeks now and it's kind of full right now anyway with Cena/Styles/Corbin.

Anth0ny

You gotta love it.

i've said it many times, the shield guys are vince's favorite toys on the regular main roster. you can tell by how they're booked and how they're so heavily scripted. there's a reason why all three of them come off as annoying douches on tv.

ambrose is THE guy on smackdown in vince's mind. not aj. he's absolutely the roman reigns of smackdown. aj is kevin owens.

cordy

Banned
not out of the picture for a long time, but he hasn't been involved with the title scene for a few weeks now and it's kind of full right now anyway with Cena/Styles/Corbin.

He'll be back in the title scene post WM season. This happened last year as well. This happens pretty much every year with him since he's become a single's star. They always keep him away from the title from the end of the year through WM season but as soon as it's over (or a month after WM season ends) he's back in it. It's just the same stuff happening with him.
i've said it many times, the shield guys are vince's favorite toys on the regular main roster. you can tell by how they're booked and how they're so heavily scripted. there's a reason why all three of them come off as annoying douches on tv.

ambrose is THE guy on smackdown in vince's mind. not aj. he's absolutely the roman reigns of smackdown. aj is kevin owens.

100%.

AJ, no matter how great he is, hasn't beaten Ambrose clean and kayfabe-wise Ambrose is better than everyone on the brand including Cena considering he Ambrose actually pinned Cena, hell Cena got pinned in that triple threat. People hate it but Ambrose is up there. He's that dude on SD. All three Shield guys will be in the title scene for the next decade. They're the Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge of this generation. Guys like AJ, Kevin Owens, guys like that are utility main eventers who will get their shot but they'll never be seen as one of the Shield guys.

Like, you'd never see AJ get a random pin on John Cena on a random episode of SD.

The Shield are still a HHH pet project. I wouldn't be shocked if HHH thinks he can succeed with getting Rollins hugely over where he failed with Roman.

Spoiler alert, he'll likely fail again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have to get my eyes looked at tomorrow to hopefully find out my eyes are fucked and not that i'm dying

then i have to work

but I probably wouldn't watch WK anyways

This is prolly the best has been in his career and has had a resurgence since that promo against Bryan in Talking Smack. Dood deserves a ton of credit for all the work he has done. But in the grand scheme of things, he is still a soft, boring, jello jobber. One "shoot" promo that excites the smarks isn't going to change that.
Based FallingEdge wuth that shoot.

Yeah Ambrose was looking horrible last year but he's gotten a bit bigger now. I remember how big he was when he was in the shield.

tumblr_inline_mod8baFxyx1qz4rgp.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

It's nothing about it being a shoot. It's the fact that he not only manages to get every face he feuds with even more over, it's the fact that the promo showed importance of a title belt. It's that Miz shows importance to the belt he has. He lives and breathe the belt without coming off like a sympathetic babyface. The intercontinental title has actually gained from his reign as have the people who've challenged for it. He shows a legit commitment to the title that its important that the WWE has never done.

And promos and character work are far more important in the WWE than match quality of which most of his recent matches have been above average.

Otunga with the hoodie and shades was fucking awesome. I remember some of us were legit afraid they would pick him over Wade simply due to his muscle mass and Jennifer Hudson.

All of the nerds told me Bryan was better than Miz.

LOOK WHO IS WRESTLING NOW DAMNIT!?

LOOK!

Top Bottom