• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
Let me guess, you think BryDan should be going over Brock instead?

No. I am just stating that thanks to WWE booking, the only main event scene are people you don't see every month. You're left with Roman who looks like a midcarder, and the roster who either gets fed to him, or is caught in 50/50 nothings. Any main eventers they had are all now injured, if not the part timers.

I know for a fact they'll probably make the Beast lose to the Baby as the latest attempt in trying to feed the agenda to their audience. I mean, they've already fed everybody else to him already.

You know it to be true. The Conqueror will be Conquered. Belee dat.

Na that's Lilian, your favorite. :)

J/k

giphy.gif

Xater

Of course Vince hates Tyler. I can already imagine him screaming "What is he doing with his phone?" Old out of touch fart...

Some NXT thoughts:

- excited for the tripple threat. Also look how they are building it up and not doing everything immediately.

- Ascension jobbed. I laughed.

- Cameron still exists!

- this Liv girl looks way too cute. It's hard to believe her anything.

- it's hilarious that Eva is still so shit they still have to take her out early of a rumble. They always did the same on RAW.

- Carmella winning is alright. She and Bayley are besties so I bet they are really happy about having this match. Personally though I just can't wait for Asuka vs Bayley.

Fox318

Tyler Breeze Is great. He was over as shit when I saw him live.

Dude has the most modern gimmick wwe has ever had.

Vince only gets acts when they are 5 years past their cultural relativity.

Jamie OD

From the latest Observer:

"Ken Anderson was doing voice over work for a top secret squirrel video game."

Did Meltzer just reveal a new Conker game?

Aiii

So not worth it
Tyler Breeze is a jobber gimmick. Vince isn't wrong to hate a nothing character that won't draw a dime.

All due respect to the guy, he's working his ass off, but lets not pretend his gimmick is good.

It's insane how long Vince has relied on Cena to be the top guy in the company not even Hogan was in that position as long as Cena has now been. It crazy how Vince basically builds shit around one guy until they're no longer there and things go to shit, with Hogan people were getting sick of him after eight or nine years on top and that was without Hogan being featured twice a week or even once a week on TV with a PPV every month unlike today where the top guys get more screen time today in a month (unless they're injured) than Hogan probably did in an entire year during the 80s. Then you have the "New Generation" which no one was able to fill the hole Hogan's drawing power left, you had Vince try and make Diesel into what he thinks the people want and that shit backfires just like it did again with Rocky Maivia is now with Roman.

It took like five years before WWE really found, by a great stroke of luck talent coming into their own and a new direction (thanks ECW) for the company to pick up and grow its audience again with everything that started to build in late 96 and into WrestleMania XIII with Austin and Bret and finally get shit rolling again and Vince inadvertently turning himself into the company's biggest heel and the company exploding in popularity in 1998 and an influx of more, ridiculously talented or at least charismatic people/interesting characters to come along to build the company up even more with a creative that wasn't overly scripting and trying to control every little aspect.

While yeah, after a few years the shtick was getting tiresome largely thanks to the amount of TV time they were getting but unlike Hogan or Cena neither Austin or the Rock (or Foley for that matter) were on top for five years let alone the 10 plus years Cena has been but when they were gone there was still a good crop of guys that as a whole managed hold the fort if you will. Even after ratings started dropping off after the end of WCW and WWE's subsequent fuck up of the invasion angle there was still entertainment to be had outside of Triple H's reign of terror and we had the brand split which at least for a while they stuck to so if you had Triple H's shit on Raw you could watch Smackdown without having to put up with it and Smackdown during that time was great... Until Stephanie's ego lead to Heyman getting fired, yes I've seen the DVD but come on, you know that was why, Stephanie seems to have basically gotten pretty much all of Vince's bad traits, including his pettiness and I'm almost certain Triple H feeds into that regardless of what's being done in NXT.

Shit I'm rambling, I need sleep... Or coke. Nah that would make that an ever bigger mess.

Five years? You're giving Vince too much credit.

EDIT: Tyler Breeze is an okay mid-card gimmick that should be something he's allowed to evolve out of in a few years (which is basically its shelf life) instead of just sent directly to job town on Superstars and Main Event. It's not as if that gimmick hasn't worked several times in the past, his size is probably his biggest shortcoming.

klonere

Banned
Tyler was in the perfect position to go after the title just as he left coming off that match with Liger. He got probably the best reaction in that No.1 contenders battle royale post-Brooklyn :( His gimmick is main roster death because they are creatively bankrupt and don't know what to do with anything that isn't in their playbook from 20 years ago. Fucking hell.

Just send him back, give him the Emma treatment. He'd be crazy over and draw more money than being some dude on Superstars.

Menome

Wait...people hadn't made the Hitman/Sharpshooter connection before now? I didn't even watch wrestling until last year and I'd figured out that link.

I wonder how much of this thread is fantasy booking? WWE fans are kinda like Nintendo fans in that way.

Anyway, been watching some Nakamura matches and dude is legit. Going to be watching more soon, any matches you fine gents would like to recommend?

I'm not the one to ask, as my puro knowledge is limited, but his Wrestle Kingdom matches from the last 3 years (Tana, Ibushi, Styles) if you haven't already, also here's another easily available on YouTube vs Zack Sabre Jr: https://youtu.be/q32CmYvWkD8?t=726

Aiii

So not worth it
"We see Eva"

Well thanks for ruining it Full Sail.

Asuka not keeping her back turned to Eva entering the ring wasn't smart either.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If you think wrestling crowds are only interested in getting themselves over then you will hate the darts crowd that get shown on Sky Sports.

For SOME reason, I keep seeing Darts on TV when I go to a pub in the late afternoon. It's insane how fucking packed and large the stadium is!!! And yeah, it basically seems to be a bunch of goobers that are getting drunk off their asses

I can't really get into Breeze's gimmick, at least from an appearance stand point. It's just too over the top with how his tights are. If he was more along the lines of Ravishing Rick then I think I could get into it more.

MC Safety

The problem with having a battle royale to determine the number one contender for the women's championship in NXT is that you've got about eight women who are complete unknowns -- as well as has-beens and never-wases such as Cameron and Eva Marie.

And no Nia Jax, either.

Thank Christ Eva Marie did not win.

Striker

Tyler was in the perfect position to go after the title just as he left coming off that match with Liger. He got probably the best reaction in that No.1 contenders battle royale post-Brooklyn :( His gimmick is main roster death because they are creatively bankrupt and don't know what to do with anything that isn't in their playbook from 20 years ago. Fucking hell..
Pretty much. It has nothing to do with his gimmick itself, but the lackluster creativity and long term plans behind the scenes. Big Bossman, Val Venis, Earthquake, Mountie, Goldust, Razor Ramon, on and on. There's been a million guys under the Vince umbrella with unique or strange gimmicks, but if there's no thought into where the character will go, or how he's booked, what good is that? They're just sending these guys out to die, then play through months and months, or years, of no direction and no heat purgatory.

I think you need more guys like that, and obviously better writing is necessary. I think you can get more out of them than generic caw's like Adrian Neville.

Jamie OD

For SOME reason, I keep seeing Darts on TV when I go to a pub in the late afternoon. It's insane how fucking packed and large the stadium is!!! And yeah, it basically seems to be a bunch of goobers that are getting drunk off their asses

I've been told that's the fun of it. When you go to a darts event you're spending a night in the world's largest pub.

jmdajr

The Freddie Prince Jr. Interview on Talk is Jericho is good. Great Vince and Michael Hayes imperisnations.

Vince:"Destroy? Kane would never destroy someone. He would obliterate them!"

In reference to exact words Kane should use in a promo.

jonjonaug

I wonder how badly Roman's gonna get booed when he wins the Rumble again.
With D-Bry still "injured", Owens and Ambrose
in a last man standing match, meaning both have a good excuse to not be in the rumble
, and every member of the roster being cooled if it looked even remotely like they might get more popular than Reigns I don't think that'll be a problem this year.

Pretty much. It has nothing to do with his gimmick itself, but the lackluster creativity and long term plans behind the scenes. Big Bossman, Val Venis, Earthquake, Mountie, Goldust, Razor Ramon, on and on. There's been a million guys under the Vince umbrella with unique or strange gimmicks, but if there's no thought into where the character will go, or how he's booked, what good is that? They're just sending these guys out to die, then play through months and months, or years, of no direction and no heat purgatory.

I think you need more guys like that, and obviously better writing is necessary. I think you can get more out of them than generic caw's like Adrian Neville.

That's what I said. Those characters you were so tired of in the 90s we need them now. I get tired of these random guys with everyday names and zero personalities. At least as a police officer or firefighter they know what to do or say.

speaking of Armageddon, remember when people liked Jericho?

29777_Arm08_300x450.jpg
I still love me some Jericho. I miss this PPV though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom