• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guzim

CYh8slSUQAAo27z.jpg

Yes!

Guzim

I wish WWE would do an old school introduction for the Rumble ala the 1992 Rumble.

"IT'S TIME TO RUMBLE. IT'S TIME FOR THE ROYALLLLLLL RUMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE!"

JTripper

Lmao the '98 Rumble is so good. Mick Foley and Terry Funk starting it off as psychos asking for the other to hit them with chairs. Rock wasn't even "The Rock" yet, still with his Nation of Domination theme. What a fascinating time.
Fuckin' Attitude Era.

MC Safety

This may or may not be fact, but I think all the shows on TBS started at :05 as a way to give baseball over-run if they needed it.

Also, the tape machines are rolling if this match continues after we go off the air.

I had heard somewhere it was meant to distinguish all TBS programming from every other network's programming.

Back when you consulted a newspaper for TV listings, every show was listed on the hour and the half hour. Except for the TBS shows.

Hex

Banned
I had heard somewhere it was meant to distinguish all TBS programming from every other network's programming.

Back when you consulted a newspaper for TV listings, every show was listed on the hour and the half hour. Except for the TBS shows.

Yeah pretty much everything on TBS had the :05 or :35 time slots

UberTag

Almost through my sixth month of only watching the monthly PPVs and NXT, as well as listening to Review-A-Raw, and life is so good. Haven't seen anything on the main roster since TLC, so I'm more than ready for the Rumble.
The next step on the road to recovery is to quit watching non-NXT network specials outright.

Kaladin

Yeah pretty much everything on TBS had the :05 or :35 time slots

Via Wikipedia:
On June 29, 1981, TBS (as SuperStation WTBS) began to use an off-time scheduling format for its programming known as "Turner Time."[12] While program offerings on other broadcast and basic cable channels generally began at the top and bottom :)00 and :30 minutes) of each hour, TBS decided to begin airing programs five minutes later, at :05 and :35 minutes past the hour. Programs seen on TBS were listed under their own time entry in TV Guide, during the period in which the magazine published log listings, as a result of this scheduling, thus enabling the program listings to catch potential viewers' eyes more readily. The use of "Turner Time" also encouraged channel surfers who could not find anything interesting to watch at the top of the hour to still be able to watch a program on TBS without missing the first few minutes. Most importantly, since shows ended five minutes later than normal, from a strategic standpoint the off-time scheduling usually encouraged viewers to continue watching TBS rather than turning to another channel to watch a program that would already be airing in progress.

McSafety was somewhat right, it was to give them a better spotlight in TV guide and to keep viewers from changing the channel at the top and bottom of the hour.

I mean, it makes sense, if you watch to the end of a TBS show, you've already missed 5 minutes of any other network's shows so why not stay on TBS?

That's carny for ya.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman Reigns |OT| Roman Reigns Roman Reigns Roman Reigns

This may or may not be fact, but I think all the shows on TBS started at :05 as a way to give baseball over-run if they needed it.

Also, the tape machines are rolling if this match continues after we go off the air.

They did it with the idea of when you finished watching a show on TBS, you just decided to keep it there because anything on any other channel was already 5 minutes into it and you already missed the beginning.

notworksafe

Rewatching as many Rumble matches (not the whole PPVs) as I can get through before Sunday. Some of those early ones were pretty good. Just finished 92, which is the first one I remembered. It's still damn good to this day, love that ending.

Watching 93 and Caeser & Cleopatra come out first to invite everyone to Wrestlemania 9. I do not remember this at all lol.

Chopper

Dream Rumble scenario:

HHH enters at some point and eliminates Reigns. They go on to have their mania match minus the belt. (AJ Styles eliminates HHH)

Lesnar looks favourite to win, up against Y2J, Wyatt etc. until number 30 entrant is DANIEL FUCKING BRYAN.

Lesnar and Bryan are final two and Lesnar wins to MASSIVE HEAT.

Bryan vs Lesnar for the belt at mania (finally), and Lesnar probably wins because Bryan genuinely has to retire now. But not before epic final match.

I will cry.

What will probably happen:

HHH eliminates Reigns for the win. Potential triple threat at Mania involving Lesnar, or something.

I will cry (for different reasons).

Watching Rumble '89. Inadvertent atomic drop. Did they ban it?

E: notworksafe, I just watched that rumble the other day. Backlund was great in that rumble

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman Rumble 2016 |OT| He's Not the Bassist for Metallica

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember when Nintendo fans would always trumpet how Nintendo doesn't do 'bullshit like on-disc dlc unlike the other companies'

lol that Zelda thread

SD

* Chris Jericho kicks off SmackDown with a promo about the Royal Rumble. WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day interrupt and remember Francesca The Trombone again. This segment leads to The New Day vs. The Usos and Dolph Ziggler
* The Usos and Dolph Ziggler defeated The New Day with a triple superkick
* Becky Lynch defeated Alicia Fox by submission
* The Miz comes out for another edition of Miz TV. His guest is Kevin Owens and WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose. They talk about their Last Man Standing match at Royal Rumble. Ambrose ended up hitting Dirty Deeds on The Miz. Owens then hit a papa powerbomb on Miz to end the segment
* Bray Wyatt defeated Ryback
* Titus O'Neal defeated Stardust
* WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns defeated Rusev, Sheamus, King Barrett and WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio in a Handicap Match by DQ. The Usos ran down to even the odds and assist Reigns after the disqualification. The Wyatt Family then came to the ring and attacked, ending SmackDown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom