• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

So....Mark Henry is back on the flip side?
Why not flip Sandow instead?

Injury and hopefully a singles push for Titus down the line, at least to IC level.
Titus is not and he will never be a singles star.

There should be nothing wrong with him staying in a tag team.

Heel

Would Canelo be selling without Floyd? Yeah. Would he be doing nearly a million PPV buys? No way. Canelo got eyes on him during the build to the Floyd fight that he simply wouldn't have gotten otherwise. That's just common sense. Without Floyd, I think Canelo would be on the GGG level right now, if not slightly above that.

This is the very basis of stardom in any form of entertainment. The new guy is seen with the old guy everyone knows.

Menome

winning team gets into the RR. please be excited

CZLbXiNUgAAbzQc.jpg

Might as well just say "The Dudley Boyz are in the Rumble". Fuck's sake.

DMczaf

If WM33 does not have a Suplex City Rules match between Jason Jordan and Brock Lesnar...

Brock's PowerPlexes vs Jordan's variety of plexes.....*sweats*

This is the very basis of stardom in any form of entertainment. The new guy is seen with the old guy everyone knows.

I know, and that's kind of my argument. The "new guys" are Canelo and maybe GGG, maybe if things go right. That's two draws, and they haven't proven to be near the draws that Floyd and Manny have reliably been the last eight years. Now given they are still on the rise, but Canelo had the second biggest fight of his career and did under a million. That's not bad, but it doesn't bode well for his ability to build upcoming guys into superstars just by being matched up with them.

DMczaf

fuck suplex city matches I want Brawl 3 All 2.0

anyone vs Miz is money.

Suplex City Rules Match will be the next Hell in the Cell. It will be the new feud ending match.

There's a line around the block waiting to have a shoot match with Miz.

Someone post the catching gifs....

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I'm really happy Darren Young is back. But god damn, WWE, keep Darren and Titus together. The Prime Time Players work best together. I think that's been pretty well established. Nobody cares about Titus wrestling Stardust.

I know, and that's kind of my argument. The "new guys" are Canelo and maybe GGG, maybe if things go right. That's two draws, and they haven't proven to be near the draws that Floyd and Manny have reliably been the last eight years. Now given they are still on the rise, but Canelo had the second biggest fight of his career and did under a million. That's not bad, but it doesn't bode well for his ability to build upcoming guys into superstars just by being matched up with them.

Floyd is the single biggest draw of all time. You can't expect someone to replace that. Canelo and others can still be huge and marketable draws even if they don't (and probably won't) do Floyd numbers.

Floyd is the single biggest draw of all time. You can't expect someone to replace that. Canelo and others can still be huge and marketable draws even if they don't (and probably won't) do Floyd numbers.

Well obviously. But the reason boxing still did well on the back of two draws is the fact that one of them was one of the biggest ever. If you have only one guy who can really draw (anywhere near a million on PPV), and another guy who maybe could get there if things fall right, that's not anywhere near as good a formula for success. Like I said, I'm not saying boxing is doomed, just that I think the trend of it fading from public consciousness will continue.

Heel

Well, I think the point I want to make is that sports entertainment in general is cyclical in nature. Big stars retire, then there's often a slump whether or not someone got "the rub" on the way out. You could point to about any sport in this regard.

So with that said, I just don't think boxing is in a unique position, or in any real danger. It's just the the nature of the beast.

Farsi

Floyd and Manny weren't doing 900k buys at age 25. Just keep that in mind.

Canelo right now at age 25, is doing better numbers than De La Hoya did in his prime.

Well, I think the point I want to make is that sports entertainment in general is cyclical in nature. Big stars retire, then there's often a slump whether or not someone got "the rub" on the way out. You could point to about any sport in this regard.

So with that said, I just don't think boxing is in a unique position, or in any real danger. It's just the the nature of the beast.

Yeah, I get you. Just don't know that they'll be able to cycle back has high as they have the last few times this cycle came around.

Floyd and Manny weren't doing 900k buys at age 25. Just keep that in mind.

Canelo right now at age 25, is doing better numbers than De La Hoya did in his prime.

I recognize that obviously. But Canelo can't carry the sport all on his own unless you assume he'll evolve into the next Floyd, and that's a silly assumption to make no matter who you are talking about because of how big Floyd is/was.

Sephzilla

Really though, why would you stall Titus's apparent push by having him tag again with a guy who's probably going to get hurt again within a month?

Heel

Yeah, I get you. Just don't know that they'll be able to cycle back has high as they have the last few times this cycle came around.

I don't even think "the rub" from Floyd is necessary to keep the gears turning. UFC went without GSP and Silva, and now McGregor and Rousey have emerged pretty much organically without their aide.

Something unique comes along and people pay attention. I'm sure there's plenty of examples of this in wrasslin' as well.

Farsi

I recognize that obviously. But Canelo can't carry the sport all on his own unless you assume he'll evolve into the next Floyd, and that's a silly assumption to make no matter who you are talking about because of how big Floyd is/was.

That's where me and you disagree. Floyd is an abnormality, there will never be another Floyd ever. but If Canelo keeps winning and if he does so in big fights like his fight with GGG which will be the mega fight of this year, he'll only get bigger. I think he'll do fine carrying the sport just like De La Hoya did in the early-mid 2000s.

You may not watch it, but those hispanics are crazy loyal and they love the kid.

Ithil

Last time I checked this thread it was about boxing. Now it's about NIMH.

What has wrestling become.

That angle of Jenner burying Nicodemus to heat him up as a heel for Justin to overcome was good, but a little hurt by Justin not getting the clean win in the end, just a distraction win by way of knife in the back.

WHAT THE HELL A GIANT REALISTIC SPIDER AND SCARY ASS OWL, NOW THOSE MICE JUST GOT SUCKED INTO AN AIR VENT FAN, THIS ISN'T SUITABLE FOR KIDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom