• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

As long as they bring this theme, I'm all for it

1425847170_19q8bnh_5chlh.gif

Yeah there we are. Cracked me up big time when I saw it, Tanahashi looking so sour.

Heel

I know Ithil already spoiled it for us, but I'm honestly looking forward to seeing how Mauro fares on SmackDown tonight.

I really liked the Lynch/Flair match on SD.

Ranallo is killing it even though Lawler is cutting him off every opportunity.

Agreed. That whole feud has been extremely well-done. Crowd was dead for mostly everything on that show, but they were making noise for that one. Funny how if you actually invest time and tell a logical story over a number of weeks, then the audience will get invested and want to see the payoff. It's almost as if long-term storytelling can work as a way to draw crowds into matches.

In an update on AJ Styles, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows possibly signing with WWE, PWInsider reports that the two sides have not officially spoken and due to some of their contract status, there is major concern within WWE about what might be considered contract tampering.

However, Nakamura reportedly reached out to WWE about a possible deal a year ago. WWE didn't respond until last year's WrestleKingdom show and Nakamura had already signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
As of today, none of the four have signed deals yet and the only two that are legally able to do so right now are Styles and Gallows, but they still have to take and pass WWE's medical & physical exams.

It's believed there has been communication between at least Gallows, Styles and WWE. With the exception of a few tweets and the WWE website story on the rumors, all sides involved are keeping things quiet. It was reportedly Triple H's call to do the website article with the idea that WWE shouldn't let other websites get traffic and attention from a story they can also benefit from.

PWInsider also confirmed the reports that WWE is also in talks with NJPW star Rocky Romero but they couldn't confirm whether or not he's being looked at as a performer or a coach.

Nakamura's been wanting WWE for a while, it seems.

Most of his offense is just punches and kicks.

Reminds me of Lex Luger.
You're right, those heavy kicks running forearms, and other bullshit. Then out of no where with no build up, here comes the torture/rebel rack
Was watching the 97 Rumble the other day and its really weird how McMahon is announcing and then randomly Jim Ross will start announcing. He's not really doing color (Lawler is there for that) he just randomly starts talking.
JR hadn't found his groove yet. Vince didn't really want JR to get some of hos lines over. It was very awkward after JR would say something. Vince would always go, "Well alright." then the next thought.

The upcoming EVOLVE tag tourney looks good, I'm struggling to justify supporting them though and there's a number of reasons - shows starting at 9PM in the East Coast means I won't be able to watch live, unless I fancy staying up to 5AM and ruining my Saturday. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that EVOLVE barely ever manage to get the VOD up in a timely manner and never, ever manage it when they're running Florida. Also, triple shots - why? You can't get the VOD up before the next day's show, so international customers are fucked if they want to avoid spoilers, plus at a minimum of $9.99 ($14.99 if you want to watch the VOD) per show you're asking fans to pay a relative premium for a product that hasn't always been of premium quality.

Sephzilla

Pollock says Cena vs Taker was gonna happen and now plans are obviously changing.

Thank Christ that's not happening, I have no desire to see that match now that The Streak is over. I say call up Balor for the Rumble, build up a fight with Taker, debut Demon Balor at Mania.

Translation: You've all been worked into a shoot again.

I have a friend who referred to this as "the new kayfabe" wherein promoters will pull back the curtain and show some behind the scene machinations in order to allow the fans to feel like they understand the business but in reality it's just another tool to manipulate the all to easy to fool wrestling fans.

Thank Christ that's not happening, I have no desire to see that match now that The Streak is over. I say call up Balor for the Rumble, build up a fight with Taker, debut Demon Balor at Mania.

A short dude from NXT is not getting hot shotted in 2 months to a Mania spot with Taker. Just not happening.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Translation: You've all been worked into a shoot again.

It's all worked shoot stuff to get people talking to begin with. I can only assume this part is more worked shoot stuff to maintain some element of surprise/uncertainty.

A short dude from NXT is not getting hot shotted in 2 months to a Mania spot with Taker. Just not happening.

I mean, a short (and fat) dude from NXT got hotshotted and two weeks later beat Cena clean in the middle on his first night, so I think the idea of anything being off the table is ridiculous.

Source: PWInsider

In an update on AJ Styles, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows possibly signing with WWE, PWInsider reports that the two sides have not officially spoken and due to some of their contract status, there is major concern within WWE about what might be considered contract tampering.
However, Nakamura reportedly reached out to WWE about a possible deal a year ago. WWE didn't respond until last year's WrestleKingdom show and Nakamura had already signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
As of today, none of the four have signed deals yet and the only two that are legally able to do so right now are Styles and Gallows, but they still have to take and pass WWE's medical & physical exams.
It's believed there has been communication between at least Gallows, Styles and WWE. With the exception of a few tweets and the WWE website story on the rumors, all sides involved are keeping things quiet. It was reportedly Triple H's call to do the website article with the idea that WWE shouldn't let other websites get traffic and attention from a story they can also benefit from.
PWInsider also confirmed the reports that WWE is also in talks with NJPW star Rocky Romero but they couldn't confirm whether or not he's being looked at as a performer or a coach.

From: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0107/606438/when-did-shinsuke-nakamura-first-contact-wwe/
lmao if Rocky Romero was the only guy to actually end up in WWE
After watching a lot of NXT and seeing him on RAW most weeks I've really grown to appreciate Hunico Sin Cara. His contrast with the clearly more talented Calisto is very striking, with the one handed lifting powerbomb and such. It's gonna be a shame when they break these two up and Sin Cara probably dissolves back into nothing.
he's not bad when he's not trying to do big high-flying moves, he should be the power guy of the team. like he was good as Hunico

Heel

I have a friend who referred to this as "the new kayfabe" wherein promoters will pull back the curtain and show some behind the scene machinations in order to allow the fans to feel like they understand the business but in reality it's just another tool to manipulate the all to easy to fool wrestling fans.

And let's just remember, Perspicacity, plans change.

Anth0ny

Exactly. Same way Owens isn't getting paired with lesnar even though it would be great.

But the lack of alternatives is really apparent here.

Maybe they'll just do Taker/Brock again. Lol

The upcoming EVOLVE tag tourney looks good, I'm struggling to justify supporting them though and there's a number of reasons - shows starting at 9PM in the East Coast means I won't be able to watch live, unless I fancy staying up to 5AM and ruining my Saturday. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that EVOLVE barely ever manage to get the VOD up in a timely manner and never, ever manage it when they're running Florida. Also, triple shots - why? You can't get the VOD up before the next day's show, so international customers are fucked if they want to avoid spoilers, plus at a minimum of $9.99 ($14.99 if you want to watch the VOD) per show you're asking fans to pay a relative premium for a product that hasn't always been of premium quality.

Yeah, that is my problem with Evolve. I really want to see Sabre and Tatcher vs Hero and End, but also the final day. I think I am going to skip the tag tournament and save my money for their events in mania weekend.

Xater

Whenever I hear Corbin talk, supposedly out of character, on Breaking Ground all I can think is what a dick. He seems like the most self absorbed asshole ever.

klonere

Banned
The two matches I can see them doing at WM still are Reigns vs HHH main event where Reigns has won back the title at Fastlane, HHH/Vince/Steph all get desperate and say that they'll put the existence of the Authority on the line after Roman beats HHH in the rematch Raw after Fastlane.

The other match is Undertaker.....vs Demon Balor.

...and yet, who was the most over guy who was actually wrestling during those '96 and '97 Nitros? Lex F'N Luger.
Beats me lol. I never really watched wCw unless it was a Saturday then when they put Thunder on.

But Luger was so lackluster in the E as the Patriotic guy. Luckily they're not doing that shit with Roman because that spells doa.

Aiii

So not worth it
PWI getting worked again by WWE misdirection? They are so hungry for scoops they keep letting this happen. WWE is lucky to have them around.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The two matches I can see them doing at WM still are Reigns vs HHH main event where Reigns has won back the title at Fastlane, HHH/Vince/Steph all get desperate and say that they'll put the existence of the Authority on the line after Roman beats HHH in the rematch Raw after Fastlane.

The other match is Undertaker.....vs Demon Balor.
That already happened except with Cena

Striker

^ It would look incredibly daunting to see a 5'11, 195 lb guy facing off against someone whose only loss in the past several years has been Brock Lesnar, and has nearly ten inches and over 100 lbs on him.

Theoretically it can work, but they need to do some heavy build up for Finn in the process.

Beats me lol. I never really watched wCw unless it was a Saturday then when they put Thunder on.

But Luger was so lackluster in the E as the Patriotic guy. Luckily they're not doing that shit with Roman because that spells doa.
Because it was forced. He could've stayed heel and had a main event program with Bret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom