• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Bootaaay since you barely show up in the OT, what's the deal with the rumoured West Ham 10 point reduction for Carroll's drug addiction?

To Hell!

Or the closest equivalent, which is being strapped to a chair in a dingy room forced to watch all the Kane-Undertaker feuds
Hey I can get behind this so called hell.

Did anybody here play the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I'm playing 2 now, and boy, this game is slowly killing me. So many bad and monotonous ideas after the amazing MP1 :(

I heard good things about MP3 though, so I'll keep pushing through.

To stay on topic: It's a slow burn, long-term booking, etc.
In wrestling terms MP2 is like a well done Iron Man match, it's slow to start but give it time and it takes off with an explosive final third that brings the hype, it ain't going to reward your casual fan that gets bored in the early goings.
MP3 is like watching the mass appeal Raw version of a PPV match where you know it's still good due to the participants involved but you can tell they're not putting as much effort in, plus they bugger up their new spot which is to say hypermode is poopy.

MP2's difficulty to me is very artificial, and frankly bullshit. The difficulty in the game feels there for arbitrary reasons, rather than anything substantial.

Dark Aether is also quite possibly the worst implementation of an "alternate world" in a Nintendo game. Whoever thought that the visual design of it, or the fact that it constantly drains your health were good ideas are bunch of assholes.

The bosses are more interesting than MP1 so far though, I'll give them that.

The fact it's so assholish is what makes it so great, truly it's the Orton chinlocks of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

strobogo

Banned
What I really appreciate coming off my wrasslin world tour/time traveling is a good top wrist lock. Destroyer and WoS guys were so good at it.

i love transitions from ground game into subs, not just apply them without a struggle. also, counter striking with submissions.

also, on this month's "hey, it's wrasslin on my MMA" edition:

Single Leg/Half Boston Crab
r29.gif

Inverted Powerbomb
awesome-mma-knockout-o.gif

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
Jamie%252520Varner%252520vs.%252520Sherron%252520Leggett.gif

Ganso Bomb
method=get&s=alan-belcher-patrick-cote.gif

The Knee That Beat Cena
2006-05-03_Norifumi__27_27Kid_27_27_Yamamoto_vs_Kazuyuki_Miyata__28K-1_-_Hero_27s_5_29_1.gif

Bootaaay since you barely show up in the OT, what's the deal with the rumoured West Ham 10 point reduction for Carroll's drug addiction?

No idea. The source seems to be some local journalist bigging up on twitter that he's got a "scoop", involving Andy Carroll and us being deducted 10 points, so people are putting two and two together and assuming we've been caught covering up Andy taking coke (as he likes a night out on the town, does that lad) or that he's been taking some performance enhancers to speed up his recovery.

Basically, it's all bollocks until you see the proper journalists talking about it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised - not because I think Carroll's the type of idiot to do that, but because this is West Ham United. We had one season of relative calm, now it's back to the fucking drama machine we've been caught in for the past fifteen years. I'm so sick of it. So sick of our shitty owners, our fat cunt of a manager, our overpaid 'stars' who aren't cutting it on the pitch, fucking referees, fucking everyone else having it SO EASY, fucking fans of 'top' clubs who haven't got the slightest fucking clue what it's like to see your club relegated and never will, because they support some fucking rich moneybags cunts who will always be in the top 6. /rant

No idea. The source seems to be some local journalist bigging up on twitter that he's got a "scoop", involving Andy Carroll and us being deducted 10 points, so people are putting two and two together and assuming we've been caught covering up Andy taking coke (as he likes a night out on the town, does that lad) or that he's been taking some performance enhancers to speed up his recovery.

Basically, it's all bollocks until you see the proper journalists talking about it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised - not because I think Carroll's the type of idiot to do that, but because this is West Ham United. We had one season of relative calm, now it's back to the fucking drama machine we've been caught in for the past fifteen years. I'm so sick of it. So sick of our shitty owners, our fat cunt of a manager, our overpaid 'stars' who aren't cutting it on the pitch, fucking referees, fucking everyone else having it SO EASY, fucking fans of 'top' clubs who haven't got the slightest fucking clue what it's like to see your club relegated and never will, because they support some fucking rich moneybags cunts who will always be in the top 6. /rant

maybe it's time to start supporting a superior London club like Chelsea and... just Chelsea, fuck the mongs up north.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I've been playing QuizUp on my iPhone and the Pro Wrestling catagory is full of people that have never watched wrestling in their lives.

I can understand not knowing every answer, I struggle a bit myself when it comes to 80s wrestling for instance, but some of these people don't even know the most basic questions, it's like they never watched wrestling in their lives, so weird.

Like, how do you follow wrestling and not know that Bret Hart was the victim of the Montreal Screw Job?

maybe it's time to start supporting a superior London club like Chelsea and... just Chelsea, fuck the mongs up north.

Nah, there's practically zero other London clubs I'd consider supporting. Dagenham & Redbridge, that's about it. Also, I'm more of a West Ham fan than I am a football fan - we might be shit, we might be headed for relegation AGAIN, but I'll still follow the cunts no matter how far they drop or how much stress it causes me.

Aiii

So not worth it
And apparently you can cash in a Money in the Bank contract for Money.

Somebody should have told Ziggler not to waste it on a title shot.

Nah, there's practically zero other London clubs I'd consider supporting. Dagenham & Redbridge, that's about it. Also, I'm more of a West Ham fan than I am a football fan - we might be shit, we might be headed for relegation AGAIN, but I'll still follow the cunts no matter how far they drop or how much stress it causes me.

that's the spirit. i cried when we lost the League last season. and then we lost the Europa League final. and then the Cup. 3 titles lost within 2 weeks time...

And apparently you can cash in a Money in the Bank contract for Money.

Somebody should have told Ziggler not to waste it on a title shot.

there you go, new angle: win the briefcase and choose between 1 million dollars or a title shot.

Aiii

So not worth it
How do you get "at which event does The Undertaker famously hold a win streak?" wrong?

Come on.

Striker

As strobogo said, we're in a golden age of TV wrestling. Go back and watch some '99 RAW's where every match was 4 minutes or even RAW from the '02-03 era. Every week there are multiple ***+ matchs on free TV. That hasn't happened since the Smackdown Six era and before that, the Nitro era.
Sure the matches are longer because the show is three hours, but there's little to no character development for majority of the roster, the midcard is ignored and receives no stories, titles have low prestige or none at all, commentary is atrocious, and they all but practically killed the gimmick matches (HiaC, TLC, etc.). The biggest feud in the Attitude Era was Austin and Vince and it had nothing to do with McMahon wrestling a 20 minute 5-star match.

strobogo

Banned
Since I'm snowed in (only about 4 inches, but the wind makes it hard to even see across the street and this is right on the border of city and country, so roads don't get plowed), it seems like a good time to start disc 2.

Baby Bobby Eaton, Ric Flair, 2/3 falls scaffold match, a barbed wire match, loser leaves town match, a 21 year old Jim Cornette.

Best of Memphis in the 80s Disc 1

Matches are time stamped for your convenience. I'd recommend Dundee/Boyles vs Bombers mostly for the after match angle, all 3 Funk/Lawler matches, Lawler vs Blackwell, and the Funk promos.

Awesome, thanks stro - love the Funk stuff, definitely going to watch that again. He really came across as a complete lunatic during that feud with his bat-shit insane promos and the random screams & noises he made during the matches.

Got the GCW Orange collection and this one's actually got a few complete episodes of TV, so I'll be uploading some soon.

Sure the matches are longer because the show is three hours, but there's little to no character development for majority of the roster, the midcard is ignored and receives no stories, titles have low prestige or none at all, commentary is atrocious, and they all but practically killed the gimmick matches (HiaC, TLC, etc.). The biggest feud in the Attitude Era was Austin and Vince and it had nothing to do with McMahon wrestling a 20 minute 5-star match.

a good match is a good match, regardless of angles and characters. there's little to no character development for majority of the roster? there's no need for it, since Vince knows everybody tunes in anyway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im sure im super late with this, but this Jericho podcast is pretty good

Hey I can get behind this so called hell.

In wrestling terms MP2 is like a well done Iron Man match, it's slow to start but give it time and it takes off with an explosive final third that brings the hype, it ain't going to reward your casual fan that gets bored in the early goings.
MP3 is like watching the mass appeal Raw version of a PPV match where you know it's still good due to the participants involved but you can tell they're not putting as much effort in, plus they bugger up their new spot which is to say hypermode is poopy.

The fact it's so assholish is what makes it so great, truly it's the Orton chinlocks of Metroid Prime Trilogy.

MP2 is what happens when a Metroid game has too much Metroid gameplay lol. Shit just drains you out.

I just got the grapple beam and I feel it's progressively getting more fun, but I'll see where it goes from here.

This is now my favorite website of all time.

This was actually a decent promo. I liked how he started shooting on the Tensai name. But Jesus, talk about a dead fucking crowd.

Aiii

So not worth it
That was good and the crowd was entirely dead in spite of it.

When you condition the crowd to not care about a guy, don't expect them to suddenly care because you finally think of a program for him after 1,5 years of jobbing.

Random episode of GCW, featuring a bunch of jobber matches and interviews from the likes of Stan Hansen, Austin Idol, Ole & Gene Anderson, The Great Kabuki & Gary Hart, plus appearances from Ric Flair and Dusty Rhodes, with Gordon Solie & Roddy Piper on commentary;

Georgia Championship Wrestling - 1981.10.31

Started going through this list of top 20 1980s NJPW matches. Figure it is a nice way to get into 80s Japan wrestling.

There's a ton of Fujinami on that list, dude was ridiculous in the 80's. Surprised Hansen vs Andre ranks so high. It's an amazing match, probably one of Andre's best ever, but I thought some of the Choshu vs Fujinami matches would rank higher. All the UWF vs NJPW stuff (like the 5 vs 5 gauntlet match) is awesome, though. Everyone should watch that stuff.

Aiii

So not worth it
The Miz is so weird right now. One day they have him as a heel, then he's back to being a face and the crowd goes "huh?"

This creative team is so aimless lately, they must have some real trouble finding a new head writer after the other guy quit after SS.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The Miz is so weird right now. One day they have him as a heel, then he's back to being a face and the crowd goes "huh?"

This creative team is so aimless lately, they must have some real trouble finding a new head writer after the other guy quit after SS.

There was some dirt sheet rumor that supposedly Vince came into a meeting and said that there are to be no more "Heels" or "Faces".

That man feeds us!

gurudyne

When you condition the crowd to not care about a guy, don't expect them to suddenly care because you finally think of a program for him after 1,5 years of jobbing.

Counterpoint: Ziggler. Dude's the jobbiest jobber this side of 3MB but can get chants going now and again.

There was some dirt sheet rumor that supposedly Vince came into a meeting and said that there are to be no more "Heels" or "Faces".

That could work if anyone backstage understood consistent characterization or motivation. Also, if that were true, what would that say about Cena? It implies they'd move away from pure-as-the-wind-driven-snow portrayal, but I doubt it.

Verendus

Banned
Just catching up on some wrasslin' whilst working and was going through CM Punk's reign. How the hell you all survived this, I don't know. Such a boring reign. I was having nightmares back to that Cena reign, but fortunately whilst boring, this wasn't that terrible.

Vylash

The main problem with Punk's title reign is that he still took a backseat to Cena, that and that terrible Punk/Bryan/AJ storyline

Rapstah

Brodus' promo was way better than I thought he was. Maybe his new gimmick can go somewhere. Low midcard would be an improvement.

Top Bottom