• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

strobogo

Banned
Negative. I think the flying fist drop was actually his main finisher for many years, with the piledriver being his super finisher or when he was wanting to hurt someone.

Aiii

So not worth it
This is why the reduced 'move list' in the WWE is really hurting in the in-ring storytelling. I'll expand my thoughts later on, but I must leave as my planet needs me right now.

Really no need to expand, everyone knows what you're trying to say. WWE's PG neutering really is a shame.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dibiase did a better flying fist drop.

Rick Rude's flying knee always seemed super dangerous to me. But that's mostly due to the psychology in his match with Ricky Steamboat As dumb as the no top ropes rule was, it made it seem all the more deadly that Rude would risk a DQ in the ironman match just to hit Steamboat with it.

strobogo

Banned
The PG era ring style is fine. It's produced a lot of great wrestling. I think what Luchador is getting at is the idea of super finishers that only get used a few times a year or in particularly heated feuds being completely absent from WWE. But that was never really a part of the WWE style during any era. There were really only a few guys who ever had something like that in WWE. RVD and the Van Terminator before he started doing it regularly, Angle when he first started doing the grapevine with the ankle lock (which still kind of is the super finisher in the sense that no one gets out of it unless someone breaks it), and Taker with the tombstone during the American Bad Ass run. That's just never been a part of the WWE style.

Instead, they ran more with stealing finishers. Super finishers don't need to be crazy head drops or anything, they just need to be built up and protected. That was always more of a puro thing.

Aiii

So not worth it
But PG is what killed the piledriver right, I thought that was the reason only Kane and Taker get to use it now?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
io3Xly19XKFrQ.gif
ibxsmQq9OlN5oz.gif

iUsf9I7eH59xj.gif
ib1wHav02t1eDS.gif

gotdammit Kaitlyn, I can't quit you.

VAWpknc.gif

But PG is what killed the piledriver right, I thought that was the reason only Kane and Taker get to use it now?

The piledriver being "killed" is what made it such a great spot during the Cena-Punk match. And I'd rather have a great moment like that than for it to used as another 1-2-NO! move used by five different guys.

As strobogo said, we're in a golden age of TV wrestling. Go back and watch some '99 RAW's where every match was 4 minutes or even RAW from the '02-03 era. Every week there are multiple ***+ matchs on free TV. That hasn't happened since the Smackdown Six era and before that, the Nitro era.

The piledriver being "killed" is what made it such a great spot during the Cena-Punk match. And I'd rather have a great moment like that than for it to used as another 1-2-NO! move used by five different guys.

As strobogo said, we're in a golden age of TV wrestling. Go back and watch some '99 RAW's where every match was 4 minutes or even RAW from the '02-03 era. Every week there are multiple ***+ matchs on free TV. That hasn't happened since the Smackdown Six era and before that, the Nitro era.

In my opinion it's mostly the result of Raw going to 3 hours. And it's the only good thing about Raw being 3 hours.

In my opinion it's mostly the result of Raw going to 3 hours. And it's the only good thing about Raw being 3 hours.

I never said it was a plan. But, regardless, without 10,000 tiger drivers, there are still good to great matches every week on TV, even with all the 'WWE-syle' restrictions.

Aiii

So not worth it
Punk and Cena got heat over that though, luckily their status prevents anything else from happening. They would have been depushed like Ziggler if they were just midcarders.

Yeah, the matches are great, we agree on that. But that's not so much because of PG-era WWE style, but rather the quality of the roster right now, where WWE has access to all the top talent due to having no competition at all and the fact they consistently put on 15 to 20-minute tag matches that allow talent to showcase.

Still, it's hard to see something new in WWE right now, and that's where the moveset-neutering really shows. Well that and the fact they repeat every match on every show for 3 weeks.

I never said it was a plan. But, regardless, without 10,000 tiger drivers, there are still good to great matches every week on TV, even with all the 'WWE-syle' restrictions.

I totally agree. I went apeshit for that piledriver on Cena.

Granted he did get a piledriver on steel steps before and kicked out, so I don't know what I was expecting.

Anth0ny

Agreed. Same deal with use of blood. I think the only time they used it over the last 2 years was Cena/Lesnar at Extreme Rules... and that match was awesome for it. Using that kind of stuff only once in a while really works.

I think workrate on TV is definitely underrated in today's day and age. Why? Possibly because:

1. Some of the better workers (Cesaro, Ziggler) aren't going anywhere and we all know it. Their matches, while great in ring, aren't as exciting as they could be because they all lead to nothing. Cesaro had a MOTY-caliber match on fucking NXT for goodness sake.

2. With all the programming nowadays, we end up seeing the same matches over... and over... and over. Goldust and Cody could keep having *** matches every week on Raw, and as great as that is... it does get a little boring because it's always against the same opponents. PPV rematches. Raw rematches. Fucking main event rematches. It never ends. And it doesn't feel as special at PPVs either because we've seen every match on TV a million times.

In the Attitude Era, the incredible, interesting story telling was able to get talent over despite the mediocre work rate. Today, it's the total opposite. Despite some awesome matches, the booking and writing is so fucking terrible that it's hard for a guy like Ziggler or Cesaro to get over, despite all of the tools at their disposal in ring.

But then you get stuff like Punk/Cena at Raw before Mania, which is just insane, ***** caliber shit on free TV. I still get the feeling Punk went into that match pissed that Rock was taking his spot at Mania (main event against Cena for the title) and wanted to show everyone what they were going to be missing. And show us he did.

Punk and Cena got heat over that though, luckily their status prevents anything else from happening. They would have been depushed like Ziggler if they were just midcarders.

And Ric Flair got away with shit Sam Houston would've been fired over. Welcome to wrestling. Where main eventers have gotten away with bullshit since Frank Gotch. My point is, since piledrivers aren't being wasted in a midcard match between The Miz and Kofi Kingston, it meant something when Punk and Cena did it.

Yeah, the matches are great, we agree on that. But that's not so much because of PG-era WWE style, but rather the quality of the roster right now, where WWE has access to all the top talent due to having no competition at all and the fact they consistently put on 15 to 20-minute tag matches that allow talent to showcase.

So, if they're having great matches, why do you want the talent to further possibly injure themselves by throwing in moves like piledrivers, German Suplexes, and the like? The Rhodes and Shield can have a 4 star match without all those moves.

Still, it's hard to see something new in WWE right now, and that's where the moveset-neutering really shows. Well that and the fact they repeat every match on every show for 3 weeks.

I'm going to tell you, it's the repeat of the matches, not the lack of moves. I can get tired of a 'move' within one bad indie match. I'd rather have the moves be too restricted than for it to be spotfest land.

I think workrate on TV is definitely underrated in today's day

1. Some of the better workers (Cesaro, Ziggler) aren't going anywhere and we all know it.

I agree with the rest of your post, except for this. Ziggler's not going to be pushed, but that's basically because after he was depushed (for bullshit reasons), he went public with it. Dumb, but if you started railing your bosses on your own company Twitter account (which Dolph basically did), you wouldn't be getting pushed to be a Vice-President of Marketing either. ;)

However, I think Cesaro will be fine. If you look at it, the WWE is top-heavy with great workers than probably the 2000-01 era. Bryan, The Shield, Orton (since he's motivated), Punk, Lesnar, The Rhodes, and yes, John Cena. It's extremely likely Cesaro will be joining that group in 2014, especially since Cena seemed to be having fun in the right with him back during those six mans a few weeks back. Throw in talent like Generico and PAC on NXT plus up 'n' comers like Langston, and workrate rising to the top in the WWE is probably going to be the truth for the time being.

Hell, if they all come up right and don't disappear, the Diva's Division might be the best it's ever been if all the NXT girls come up and get pushed.

I agree with the rest of your post, except for this. Ziggler's not going to be pushed, but that's basically because after he was depushed (for bullshit reasons), he went public with it. Dumb, but if you started railing your bosses on your own company Twitter account (which Dolph basically did), you wouldn't be getting pushed to be a Vice-President of Marketing either. ;)

However, I think Cesaro will be fine. If you look at it, the WWE is top-heavy with great workers than probably the 2000-01 era. Bryan, The Shield, Orton (since he's motivated), Punk, Lesnar, The Rhodes, and yes, John Cena. It's extremely likely Cesaro will be joining that group in 2014, especially since Cena seemed to be having fun in the right with him back during those six mans a few weeks back. Throw in talent like Generico and PAC on NXT plus up 'n' comers like Langston, and workrate rising to the top in the WWE is probably going to be the truth for the time being.

Hell, if they all come up right and don't disappear, the Diva's Division might be the best it's ever been if all the NXT girls come up and get pushed.

You have much faith. I envy you.

You have much faith. I envy you.

I'm just saying it'll continue to be like now. Probably sucky storylines, but they'll put good workers in the main event because it's easier to tell The Shield and Punk/Bryan/Cena to have a 30 minute six-man than say, Mason Ryan or Ryback.

I mean, it's easy to think that the WWE hates good wrestlers, but in recent history, the only guy who really got ran out of the company while being a good worker is Mistico, who couldn't stay healthy for twelve steps, and it looks like Ziggler. Every other Internet darling who is also a superworker (so, sorry Zach & Fandango & Damien - I can't see you main evening a ROH show, you're out of this scenario) has made it to be a main eventer at some level.

Aiii

So not worth it
I have 4 moves, i keep spamming them but oh god theres still things coming, i do something else and now its over, holy shit that was exhausting but opon further review, was pretty awesome

Add an extra flip for that triple damage bonus.

G-Fex

I'm playing Risk of Rain right now and bah gawd is it difficult.

But I actually made it to the next level, what a accomplishment.

I have 4 moves, i keep spamming them but oh god theres still things coming, i do something else and now its over, holy shit that was exhausting but opon further review, was pretty awesome

Yeah sounds about right. Whenever I would go to a PWG show and see them, it was so love hate for me.

But it's mostly hate if I don't watch their matches live.

Did anybody here play the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I'm playing 2 now, and boy, this game is slowly killing me. So many bad and monotonous ideas after the amazing MP1 :(

I heard good things about MP3 though, so I'll keep pushing through.

To stay on topic: It's a slow burn, long-term booking, etc.

Did anybody here play the Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I'm playing 2 now, and boy, this game is slowly killing me. So many bad and monotonous ideas after the amazing MP1 :(

I heard good things about MP3 though, so I'll keep pushing through.

To stay on topic: It's a slow burn, long-term booking, etc.

It's not nearly as good as the first as far as atmosphere and just being memorable, but I enjoyed it simply because it was SO much more difficult than the first game. MP1 was one of the easiest games I've ever played, and it kinda hindered my enjoyment. I think I died like 3 times.

I have yet to finish MP3. My Wii gets turned on once every 6 months for about 9 seconds.

Marvel

could never
Nah, they'll end Taker's streak with Cena.

Taker will be the heel in the feud. THE OTHER TWENTY ONE MEAN NOTHING UNLESS I BEAT YOU, JOHN.

Ryder and Hornswoggle, John Cena's best friends, are beaten up every Raw leading up to WM30. His Bella is kidnapped too.

lol.

G-Fex

stone cold to debra: You wanna hear something funny? I love you.

goddamn these dino impressions always kill me

saw the Big E v Fandango match. there's the fuckin on-n-off selling striking again.

Big E limping, can barely walk BAM there he goes running the ropes for the splash and effortlessly picking the other guy for the finisher, all whitin 10 seconds.

i'd rather have them not selling arm and leg work at all than doing this. it establishes something but doesn't follow it. same thing happened in the Orton v Bryan match.

saw the Big E v Fandango match. there's the fuckin on-n-off selling striking again.

Big E limping, can barely walk BAM there he goes running the ropes for the splash and effortlessly picking the other guy for the finisher, all whitin 10 seconds.

i'd rather have them not selling arm and leg work at all than doing this. it establishes something but doesn't follow it. same thing happened in the Orton v Bryan match.

At least Cole and JBL try to sell it as adrenaline.

It's not nearly as good as the first as far as atmosphere and just being memorable, but I enjoyed it simply because it was SO much more difficult than the first game. MP1 was one of the easiest games I've ever played, and it kinda hindered my enjoyment. I think I died like 3 times.

I have yet to finish MP3. My Wii gets turned on once every 6 months for about 9 seconds.

MP2's difficulty to me is very artificial, and frankly bullshit. The difficulty in the game feels there for arbitrary reasons, rather than anything substantial.

Dark Aether is also quite possibly the worst implementation of an "alternate world" in a Nintendo game. Whoever thought that the visual design of it, or the fact that it constantly drains your health were good ideas are bunch of assholes.

The bosses are more interesting than MP1 so far though, I'll give them that.

I can tell from this post that you absolutely adore Cena's signature spot where he's completely collapsed on the outside, only to run like hell back in the ring when the ref counts to 9, then fully collapsing again.

Good shit by Cena.

...here?

In regards to the move restriction thing, it doesn't bother me that much (although, you can't tell me a guy like Big E wouldn't benefit from a good, old-fashioned sit-out powerbomb finisher), but what I find I really do miss when watching WWE is; a) chain wrestling, the old wristlock, armbar reversal shenanigans that opens up every indie match ever since the dawn of indie wrestling and, b) strike exchanges. Perhaps I watch too much puro, but I'm sure there's a bunch of dudes on the roster I'd like a hell of a lot more if they could throw a mean-ass chop, kick someone's head in or actually do some proper chain wrestling and WORK a god-damned hold.

Top Bottom