• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Vylash

You mean this one?

2bZXIh2.gif

awesome, thanks

Sanjuro

I don't think we're arguing the same thing. I'm saying that if you grew up as a kid and saw old, barely mobile Andre on WWF TV, you probably thought he sucked. You would then probably keep that memory of Andre and not feel the need or desire to seek out when Andre was young and healthy. You'd just assume he probably always sucked. There were tons of guys I thought were boring or sucked as a kid that now I think are great. As a kid, I had zero patience or appreciation for guys like Orndorff/Tully/Arn/Bunkhouse Buck and probably anyone on the Memphis set. No way would 8 year old Stro have been into Dutch Mantel or Nick Bockwinkel.

Actually, I have no idea what I'm arguing here.

I had the patience for practically everyone at a young age. When you age you become more critical, and can do some organizing viewing certain characters in different categories. Just a part of becoming critical without having a black/white opinion.

Mengetsu

As someone who has never really seen Batista matches or talk besides the funny promos you guys post I'm excited for this tonight. Hope he can go and not gas like The Rock because that would just suck if he's really gonna be here for 2 years.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
See? I told you people not to blame Vince. He's a great guy.

strobogo

Banned
That definitely reads like a letter written by Warrior. 1000 extra rambling words to get to "Pay me as much as Hogan or I walk". Vince meeting him on every demand without question surprises me a bit. He doesn't seem like the type to give in right away like that.

Xater

As someone who has never really seen Batista matches or talk besides the funny promos you guys post I'm excited for this tonight. Hope he can go and not gas like The Rock because that would just suck if he's really gonna be here for 2 years.

I actually don't like him that much and I doubt he improved during his absence. Well at least it's something different.

Kaladin

I'm watching some Ring of Honor TV before Raw. I'm so glad they took their TV tapings out of Baltimore.

This building in Nashville looks awesome btw. I'm going to be there in June for Best In The World.

kiguel182

I liked Baptista when I was younger but my younger self clearly didn't had the best taste (apart from CM Punk, always liked the guy).

But right now I'm not happy about the return, 2013 has seen the WWE trying to get some new guys over and I fear this will only drag them out.

With Rock gone I was hoping they would stop bringing them but it seems it won't stop.

If he wins the Rumble it's worse.

Obviously tastes change as you grow older, but who would you guys say are the wrestlers that you didn't like previously, but have made a big impression on you in recent years?

For me, Jumbo Tsuruta's gotta be my main pick. I never bothered to check out much of his 80's work because the stuff I saw of him in the 90's never impressed me all that much. It wasn't until I finally saw the Misawa vs Jumbo match from '90 that I began to see what a talented wrestler he was, even though he was already showing his age at that point. I'd personally rank him as the best wrestler in the world throughout the early 80's, he put on classic bouts with some of the biggest names in the business and was a huge star in Japan. Another pick would be Bob Backlund - I doubt many who saw his WWF run in the 90's thought highly enough of him to check out his previous work, but you have any appreciation of technical wrestling you'd be a fool not to. Orndorff has to be up there as well and Bockwinkel, both of whom I initially thought were dull as hell. Then there's guys who I wasn't at all familiar with and was expecting very little from, but they ended up blowing me away; Mr. Wrestling II fits that bill nicely. Short and tubby for a heavyweight, he was a huge fan favourite in Tennessee and it's pretty easy to see why. Fantastic wrestler who could really work a hold and mixed well with just about anybody who came through the territory.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously tastes change as you grow older, but who would you guys say are the wrestlers that you didn't like previously, but have made a big impression on you in recent years?

For me, Jumbo Tsuruta's gotta be my main pick. I never bothered to check out much of his 80's work because the stuff I saw of him in the 90's never impressed me all that much. It wasn't until I finally saw the Misawa vs Jumbo match from '90 that I began to see what a talented wrestler he was, even though he was already showing his age at that point. I'd personally rank him as the best wrestler in the world throughout the early 80's, he put on classic bouts with some of the biggest names in the business and was a huge star in Japan. Another pick would be Bob Backlund - I doubt many who saw his WWF run in the 90's thought highly enough of him to check out his previous work, but you have any appreciation of technical wrestling you'd be a fool not to. Orndorff has to be up there as well and Bockwinkel, both of whom I initially thought were dull as hell. Then there's guys who I wasn't at all familiar with and was expecting very little from, but they ended up blowing me away; Mr. Wrestling II fits that bill nicely. Short and tubby for a heavyweight, he was a huge fan favourite in Tennessee and it's pretty easy to see why. Fantastic wrestler who could really work a hold and mixed well with just about anybody who came through the territory.

Backlund, definitely. Haaaated him, no appreciation at all. Also Bobby Eaton.

As a little mark kid in the 80's I always liked the big guys. Brotista is a throwback to that era so I still appreciate guys like that. I like a good squash match every now and then.

Jamie OD

Oh God, just got reminded of last year's go home promo on Raw before the Rumble. You know the one, where it's just Cena chatting to fans about how they spend their Sundays. At least tonight can't be as bad as that.

Verendus

Banned
I liked Baptista when I was younger but my younger self clearly didn't had the best taste (apart from CM Punk, always liked the guy).

But right now I'm not happy about the return, 2013 has seen the WWE trying to get some new guys over and I fear this will only drag them out.

With Rock gone I was hoping they would stop bringing them but it seems it won't stop.

If he wins the Rumble it's worse.
To be fair, WWE is always trying to build stars. They kind of suck at it. We've had Miz, Sheamus, Del Rio etc. None of them got anywhere significant.

Penguin

WWE sources are confirming that Daniel Bryan has been cleared to return to the ring following the concussion he suffered during the steel cage match last week on Raw.
We've heard that he may be kept out of the ring until the Royal Rumble PPV as an extra precautionary move but that is not 100%.

Well that's good news

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bobby's a good shout, definitely - if all you saw of him was his WCW stuff from the late 90's, you probably wouldn't be all that impressed.

Oh, Hercules Hernandez is one, so is Yokozuna. Kevin Sullivan.

Recall

Ok Why did no-one mention how incredible WWE Payback 2013 was? Ok sure it had a wacky main event but holy shit Del Rio vs. Ziggler was outstanding. Just watched it and it told its story to perfection.

The AJ Lee match was really good as was the opening 3 way, and according to event reviews CM Punk vs. Jericho was a great showing too.

somedevil

Well that's good news

Thank god. Now is the match with Bray back on then? They have openings right now for the show.

Card right now:

Cena vs Orton
Big Show vs Bork
Royal Rumble

outlaws vs Rhodes Brothers pre show.

Most likely they have Naomi vs AJ at the show but they need one more match on the main card.

Vee_One

Gonna be a bit late on the Rumble OT, Niners game and gf got me legit shook! Tuesday at the latest!

Also, heres the latest list for the Rumble Lottery

Rumble Lottery
Pristine_Condition
TheWarrior
Serpentine
Slightconfuse
Funkystudent
Jmdajr
Anth0ny
Aiii
BronsonLee
Mr. Sandman
Xater
Bootaaay
Reneledarker
Shadowlink
Dr Duncan Steel
Serenewarfare
Jamie OD
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!
bean breath
Verendus
Mr. Luchador
Gurudyne
Sunny McMahon
Pavaloo
PartTimeWarrior
BillRiccio
DMczaf
Cagey
Somedevil
kiguel182
snaku
BronsonLee
Bowser
Ubertag
DiscoJon
cr_blah_blah
lessthananth725
Killing_Joke
Ultratech
Mechashiva
mrboo001
Speedy Blue Dude
jred2k
WhoaIsThatMars
Plywood
Mr. Nobody
Matthew Gallant
Simples
Ithil
Professor Beef
NameGenerated
RBH
QueenOfThorns
Shark Johnson
Net_Wrecker
A Pretty Panda
Toki767
darkbanjo

Any chance I can get in on this action?
Also, when does it take place - date / time?

kiguel182

To be fair, WWE is always trying to build stars. They kind of suck at it. We've had Miz, Sheamus, Del Rio etc. None of them got anywhere significant.

That's true, even if their choices were all wrong, they did try.

But it kind of all goes to waste when the top of the card on your biggest show is composed of part-timers and, if he does main-event Mania, guys have to just come in and get to the top.

This year there is a lot of good new talent, guys that are way better and have more potential than Miz, Sheamus and Del Rio. Hopefully they put them in big storylines come Mania season and don't let the part timers get all the spotlight.

I mean, Batista and Cena wouldn't be where they are if they didn't let them both main-even and win at Mania. It's a shame they aren't willing to let new guys do that anymore.

kiguel182

Bryan enters at 30th and cleans house, wins the Rumble and goes to Mania to win the title at the Main Event.

Do it WWE. You know it's the best choice.

Top Bottom