• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think WWE has assembled the worst announce team in history with Cole, JBL, and Booker T. I really cannot think of a worse option to commentate these shows.

Gonzalez

Banned
I don't really care for his announcing, but it's a goddamn shame Lawler doesn't get a RAW send off considering he's been the longest tenured commentator in RAW history.

Vylash

lost my fucking shit at Tyson's promo this week "tyson kidd is a man of the animals, especially cats, but not grumpy cat, fact"

Anth0ny

holy shit king is off raw

KING IS OFF RAW

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

t8uat.gif
t8uat.gif
t8uat.gif

I DON'T EVEN CARE IF BOOKER IS TAKING HIS PLACE HE'S A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN KING

AWW SHUCKY DUCKY QUACK QUACK

To shake off ring rust, Bryan has been added to several house shows leading into the Royal Rumble. Opponents listed so far? Luke Harper and Kane.

I'd pay good money to see Kane in 2015 in a non-canon sports entertainment show.

Team Hoss

250+ matches
Randy Savage: 265 matches (250 singles, 15 tag) = 53% win

250+ matches
Greg Valentine: 279 matches (159 singles, 120 tag) = 49% win
Tito Santana: 269 matches (196 singles, 73 tag) = 80% win
Brutus Beefcake: 258 matches (139 singles, 119 tag) = 55% win
Bret Hart: 251 matches (128 singles, 123 tag) = 77% win

250+ matches
The Iron Sheik: 276 matches (246 singles, 30 tag) = 48% win

250+ matches
Charlie Fulton: 296 matches (249 singles, 47 tag) = 25% win
Masa Saito: 270 matches (64 singles, 206 tag) = 37% win
Mr Fuji: 269 matches (69 singles, 200 tag) = 34% win
Tony Garea: 252 matches (179 singles, 73 tag) = 57% win

Holy shit that's a lot of matches for one year! Pretty impressive, hope it didn't wreck him.

These damn millennials complaining about their work schedule. Look at the 80s!

Granted they had the power of coke tho.

According to the Jon Jones thread the use of coke would have been a huge detriment to any and all matches they had, so that makes them so much more impressive for having done it!

Them pain pills would have been rampant I expect :(

Apparently at the Laredo, TX crowd for Smackdown this week, a graphic was shown on the titantron saying Bryan would "return to action" next week.

Like on TV action? In a match? That would dilute the draw of the Rumble return though, they wouldn't seriously do that would they? Save the big dog for the Rumble! Let him dust the rust off in house shows ffs. Leak some phone camera footage of Bryan hitting some awesome spots in a house show to get some viral buzz going, don't blow your wad on a free TV show ffs you morons.

MORONS >_<

@JohnCena 45 minutes ago

A good plan can put things into perspective just remember there r lots of elements that can change plans. Adapt the best u can #nevergiveup

UberTag

Phasing out Lawler is a good thing from at least two perspectives

1- He's not a good announcer anymore

2- Lawler's health is only going to continue to deteriorate
Finally, the WWE makes a decision that literally NO one will complain about.
It only took them what... 10 years of Jerry being terrible to finally reach this conclusion?

@JohnCena 45 minutes ago

A good plan can put things into perspective just remember there r lots of elements that can change plans. Adapt the best u can #nevergiveup
Cena has mastered the skill of not only never saying anything of substance but actually tweeting that way as well.

@JohnCena 45 minutes ago

Plans, they be a changing for good ol' Johnny Cena (and his pal Roman "Lex Luger" Reigns)

I actually don't think that's the case, but you read yesterday's tweet and put them together and it paints an interesting picture.

Ideal one for me would be JR, Heyman, and Punk.

Heyman is too good at being a manager right now. I'd leave him off the commentary team. It wouldn't even need to be a 3 man team though. 2 people calling the action is fine. Ross and Punk, Ross and Nash, even Ross and Big Show. There are so many better options for commentary and they chose the absolute worst option possible.

Plans, they be a changing for good ol' Johnny Cena (and his pal Roman "Lex Luger" Reigns)

I actually don't think that's the case, but you read yesterday's tweet and put them together and it paints an interesting picture.

I think for sure he heard some booking info that changed and that's why he tweeted that, whether it's about himself or Reigns.

Why the fuck did they feel the need to keep Cole on every show? Booker T and JBL are horrible at color too.

"The voice of the WWE". I suppose being a bottom-feeding sycophant helps too.

I really liked JR's commentating at WK9, despite his rustiness and being off his game at first.

kiguel182

I can't believe we are free from King. Finally. Fucking Finally.

Hmm, not even sure I want to watch based on the online feedback. My first priority tonight is re-watching Lucha Underground. If I'm okay after that, I may give Impact a go.

Just listened to Wai Ting and John Pollock review the first WCW Thunder. Needless to say, they were annoyed and bored as fuck by it. An entertaining listen.

You used to watch didn't you? I think you'll enjoy it more based on that. The show relied a lot in being invested in previous stories and such. And the production seems consistent with the most recent show I watched from them recently.

UberTag

I can't believe we are free from King. Finally. Fucking Finally.
Well, see, actually you're not free from King.

A) You'll still get King on pay-per-views.
B) The one program you are now "free from King" is still a 3-hour weekly RAW that is an unequivocal snore.

That's like being sentenced to life in prison and getting excited because the 30-year-old Magnavox CRT television in the break room is getting replaced with a projection TV that isn't ancient.
You're still in prison. And they still wheel in the Magnavox for holidays and special occasions.

The next set of movies: Out of context sequels

The Crow: City of Angles
Fast Five
Transporter 2
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
The Prophecy 3: The Ascent
Lake Placid 3

I have not seen any of these. The only first movies I've seen are The Crow and Lake Placid.

F5 & Transporter 2 are good, Star Trek 6 is fantastic. ST6 is more of a TV movie and I love it for it, very quaint. I really should get around to watching the actual TV series at some point but years of Trek nerds irritating me has conditioned me to avoid it.

Tokyo Drift might be a good choice too, really odd movie in the context of the series. Still not sure if I like it or not, probably not.

That's the point, friend. Garbage movies are best for gifs.

Exactly, it's been a successful plan for Red Letter Media so I expect your review articles will be highly entertaining and popular on here too for terrible movies.

I know I'll read them all, that's for sure!

Raw64life

I wouldn't call JBL and Booker T good commentators but I don't think they're awful either. JBL was great when he first started but he eventually got beaten down by whoever is in gorilla these days. I don't see why the same thing wouldn't happen to anyone else's dream commentary team. Even Heyman couldn't save it as long as Cole is still around.

Now that I think about it more, I think I'm underestimating just how shitty Cole not only is himself, but how shitty he makes everyone else around him sound.

I wouldn't call JBL and Booker T good commentators but I don't think they're awful either. JBL was great when he first started but he eventually got beaten down by whoever is in gorilla these days. I don't see why the same thing wouldn't happen to anyone else's dream commentary team. Even Heyman couldn't save it as long as Cole is still around.

Now that I think about it more, I think I'm underestimating just how shitty Cole not only is himself, but how shitty he makes everyone else around him sound.

Cole is really bad because he fails to do what he's paid to do, which is get over the wrestlers. He also is there to guide the conversation and call the action, both of which he is equally bad at. Really nothing will change at this point as long as Vince and his cronies are there.

kiguel182

Well, see, actually you're not free from King.

A) You'll still get King on pay-per-views.
B) The one program you are now "free from King" is still a 3-hour weekly RAW that is an unequivocal snore.

That's like being sentenced to life in prison and getting excited because the 30-year-old Magnavox CRT television in the break room is getting replaced with a projection TV that isn't ancient.
You're still in prison. And they still wheel in the Magnavox for holidays and special occasions.

At this stage I take what I can get.

Anth0ny

Cole is easily the worst of all, because as you said, he drags everyone down.

dude is a walking talking press release

kiguel182

I have an exam tomorrow and I've verified the time like three times and I'm still afraid I got it wrong. I have some issues.

But at least I don't start threads about them. Could be worse.

I forgot to mention this last night but lol @ Josh Matthews trying to throw jabs at WWE during the commentary. I think he's alittle salty

Booker brings much needed energy to the commentary no matter what potential garbage he's gonna say. I'm all for it.

And now seeing all this Bryan buzz?!

b0rER1y.gif

UberTag

Cole is really bad because he fails to do what he's paid to do, which is get over the wrestlers.
Is that really what he's paid to do, though?

I think he's there to get over the WWE brand first and foremost - which he does exhaustively - by referencing the app, the Network, the trends on Twitter they've paid for and telling the world how great Cena and the Authority are. After which his job is to encourage playful banter and references that only old white men in their 50s and 60s would understand.

He'll occasionally interject by reciting verbatim what a wrestler's most recent promo was by reading it off the script (because we certainly wouldn't want to hear a wrestler cut their promos themselves - and, if they did, certainly not one they came up with themselves).

When a returning legend or a special guest host celebrity appears, it's Cole's job to laugh at everything they say to reinforce how hilarious it is. Because otherwise how would us idiots at home know that it's funny? He must also plug their movie or show. And when a new wrestler gets called up that obviously isn't ready, it's Cole's job to belittle and undermine them because they haven't paid their dues yet like the veterans have. Failing that, he'll be sarcastically enthusiastic about it in the most phony way possible to ensure it's the most unhip thing imaginable.

And then he needs to call near falls, reinforce how great the faces are no matter what heelish things they do - and, on the very rare occasion, call an actual move or match offense prior to a pin.

Most importantly, though, it's Cole's job to ensure that nothing is individually important - be it other wrestlers not named Cena or any of the title belts in the company. It's all about the WWE brand and how all of the sports entertainers should feel grateful that they're a part of it and how we, as the WWE Universe, should feel blessed that we get to watch the same matches for 7-10 hours each and every week.

I, for one, think Cole is excellent at doing the job Vince pays him to do. I just think it's a shitty soul-sucking job that, frankly, very few people could handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom