• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Don't feel bad. I took German for two years in high school and four semesters (with labs) in college. And my conversational German is still pretty damn terrible.

Happy New Year, everyone, including all you fucking marks. And in the interest of keeping proper tradition and custom going, let me just say the OP really sucks this month.
<3

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't feel very well.

I woke up to insane messages from you. Were you drunk?

Hello WrassleGAF, my big New Year's Resolution is to be more thankful for things. Having gotten back into wrestling in 2014, I want to thank you for making following the WWE less than miserable after jumping in the wake of the best moment of the year for the main program (WrestleMania).

Welcome, goddammit, and watch Wrestle Kingdom 9 and see if it's your thing!

Happy 2015 fellow Wrasslegaffers!
And you know what that means correct? At last it's time for 2015, Kane in 2015.
fyyZZiB.jpg
in 2015!

And what a storied 2014 it was the for our big red brethren (no not that bearded hick, damn nickname thief).

- Kane starts off the year finally tying the Shawn Michaels rumble record after years of WWE booking his rumble performances like shit to ensure they can keep Mr Wrestlemaina happy with the extra moniker of Mr Royal Rumble. Good Guy Glenn ain't having that shit so he took matters into his own hands lurking outside post elimination and yanking out that CM Punk fella, speaking of which...

- Kane retires Carny Motherfucker Punk by eliminating him from both the Rumble and Wrestling in general. Perhaps it was an act of benevolence on Kane's part knowing that old Punker wasn't going to get the rest he needed unless forced out of the ring, in any case this all leads to WM30 getting saved, thank you hero Kane.
Oh and Kane generously gives up his best single rumble match elimination record to Reigns to ensure the future of the industry.
kanepunk.gif

- Corporate Kane and the Outlaws generously put over the Shield on the grandest stage of them all, they worked together to make Reigns look strong, oh and I guess the other two came off looking alright as well.

- Having just christened the most popular champ in yonks with that D Bryne fellow it was inevitable that he'd clash with his former best buddy Kane in a red hot blood feud for the title based upon their storied past and....wait? that wasn't how it went down? oh, okay, so the rechristened Demon Kane was just testing if Bryan had the true star making capacity to endure shitty storylines involving his wife and silly backstage segments, trust me this was a test that was needed.

- Kane takes the bump of the year through a flaming table at Extreme Rules that giving authenticity to the PPV name, what a trooper.
Also forkifts
vA90JcL.gif

- After it becomes clear that Bryan is in fact a B plus player only (I blame Brie Bella) he gets kayfabe sidelined by Kane as an excuse to hoof the belt off him and eventually back to Cena, Kane bears the hatred of smarks and marks alike but that's okay, he's a company guy and can take the burden so Cena can sneak his way back to title without leeching from Bryan. Also another two Kane main events on PPV, he's still got it!

- Kane has seen the future and it is Seth Rollins, he wisely ensures Rollins MitB ladder match victory and helps create the breakout superstar of the year yet all wrasslegaf can do is be salty that he pushed over Ambrose, it was a slow burn dammit!

- Since damn near every Raw ends up having PPV calibre matches just thrown onto the card absent-mindedly Kane makes it his mission to interfere in as many big matches as he can so that the upcoming PPV events still actually have some worth when they roll around. You may hate him for this but it's for the greater good since the writing staff are a bunch of monkeys, Kane being the guy with the most matches in Raw history knows how this stuff works trust me.

- Kane trips over the stairs leading to a genuinely funny raw moment and not the equivalent of Cole's forced laughter, it adds levity to a heartbreaking moment with Orton getting stompled into oblivion thus helping the kiddies leave the arena somewhat amused at the end of the show.
Unfortunately the hostile and insular Wrasslegaffers bully SoulPlaya as a result, come back soon old friend.

XXKo0ln.gif

- CM Punk tries to keep relevant by slandering Ryback in his tell all podcast so Good Guy Glenn takes it upon himself to job to THA BIG GUY at TLC and help restore the good name of Ryback. Also takes on a second job backstage as concessions Kane, what a guy.

Well dang that was truly a 2014 to remember, now I can't wait to see what awaits Company Guy Glenn in 2015 and this post will ensure Recall can bitterly bring up Wrasslegaf having mad Kane love for months to come even though it's only two or three guys with fine taste, or maybe just one at this point.
pls retire kane

Ultratech

Happy New Years WrassleGAF!

I know I haven't been terribly active as of late, but dammit, I like this community!

(Also, it gives me a chance to bust out shitty photoshops and half-assed Kofi Clocks.)

That said, I'll make a resolution to be in here more than before amongst other resolutions that I should really work on...

Think 3rd rate tlc and discovery reality shows

Man, that be be pretty shitty.

And I've seen quite a few of those.

Also, watching Alaska State Troopers, Alaska looks like such a shitty place outside of the wilderness.

21% Ziggler? fuck me, my jesting Kane post has more best of 2014 authenticity than this guy who did bugger all throughout the year until the very end where he finally became IC champ for the umpteenth unimportant time and had his hard earned PPV win effectively undermined by the vigilante Sting.

Happy New Years WrassleGAF!

I know I haven't been terribly active as of late, but dammit, I like this community!

(Also, it gives me a chance to bust out shitty photoshops and half-assed Kofi Clocks.)

That said, I'll make a resolution to be in here more than before amongst other resolutions that I should really work on...
I was really holding out for some New Day Kofi clocks, who knows that will await him in 2015? probably not an actual new day.
And here's your reminder that he beat champ Orton clean nearly a year ago for no reason.

21% Ziggler? fuck me, my jesting Kane post has more best of 2014 authenticity than this guy who did bugger all throughout the year until the very end where he finally became IC champ for the umpteenth unimportant time and had his hard earned PPV win effectively undermined by the vigilante Sting.

Era of recency.

cdViking

Welcome, goddammit, and watch Wrestle Kingdom 9 and see if it's your thing!
Fear not, I became a day one subscriber to NJPW, and might order an encore of the English version if the Ross/Striker commentary is good. How long was last year's Wrestle Kingdom? Like 4 hours? Going to be traveling for work while it's on, have to decide if I want to watch it live.

When's LU coming back with a new episode? Next Wed.? I actually watch that show on tv.

cdViking

I was really holding out for some New Day Kofi clocks, who knows that will await him in 2015? probably not an actual new day.
And here's your reminder that he beat champ Orton clean nearly a year ago for no reason.
WhySoCynical.gif

They're actually booking Ziggler strongly, and Sting's appearance made Ziggler's Survivor Series win feel real and distinctive from Bryan's "ultimate underdog" wins in the Spring. Harper vs. Ziggler feels more important than anything else they've done with the IC belt, including when they had the 8-man tourney for the #1 contendership.

strobogo

Banned
Harper/Ziggler didn't feel important at all in any of the 15 matches they had from October to December. Not at all. Not even the ladder match. There was ZERO story to that angle. It was straight up "He beat me, now I beat him, now he beat me, now I beat him" shit.

Harper/Ziggler didn't feel important at all in any of the 15 matches they had from October to December. Not at all. Not even the ladder match. There was ZERO story to that angle. It was straight up "He beat me, now I beat him, now he beat me, now I beat him" shit.

Even-Steven booking. Does wonders to get people over.

Era of recency.
It is all within the last three months so this actually makes a lot of sense.

You're in luck!

I did this one a few days ago for RAW:

http://i.imgur.com/O3IhnEw.png[img][/QUOTE]
It's even more wonderful than I imagined!

[quote="cdViking, post: 145596154"]WhySoCynical.gif

They're actually booking Ziggler strongly, and Sting's appearance made Ziggler's Survivor Series win feel real and distinctive from Bryan's "ultimate underdog" wins in the Spring. Harper vs. Ziggler feels more important than anything else they've done with the IC belt, including when they had the 8-man tourney for the #1 contendership.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say he's been booked strongly as of late (I think Stro is on point regarding the IC title), just now it's not as poorly as most of his years floating around booking the midcarders often fall prey to. Thing is I don't see this slight momentum really going many places for him, I really think his WHC win will end up being his peak as at this stage I'm thinking there's more interesting options to take a main event chance on.

Though honestly it's probably just because I ain't really on board with Ziggler, dude puts on some solid matches but lacks any other engaging factor for me, though it's nice he gets some sort of reaction from the fans, maybe that will help him out more than I'd expect in the long run.

cdViking

That's a completely different issue than Ziggler having a bad 2014, and is more endemic to the WWE as a whole. They've booked Ziggler to look like a million dollars the last month and a half, so while he didn't do anything the first half of the year, the trend is strong.

As far as the IC feud, you're absolutely right about the story lacking, but I think Harper and Ziggler have actually worked the matches well enough to make it seem like they give a shit about the title. For as needlessly brutal as the TLC match was, it made me feel like each guy had a stake in the outcome. That is a huge improvement over Big E not being on television while champion, Bad News Barrett (who I love) having okay matches against terrible workers, and The Fucking Miz(tm) going against Ziggler.

kiguel182

First WrassleGaf post of 2015!

Also, when does TNA premier? I guess I'll watch the first episode to give them a chance.

Eventually every IC champion succumbs to the crappy booking. Big E was pretty well protected for the first 3 months of his reign and then he fell off. BNB was doing good for about a month and then they started beating him again. I don't see the trend changing with Ziggler.

cdViking

I wouldn't say he's been booked strongly as of late (I think Stro is on point regarding the IC title), just now it's not as poorly as most of his years floating around booking the midcarders often fall prey to. Thing is I don't see this slight momentum really going many places for him, I really think his WHC win will end up being his peak as at this stage I'm thinking there's more interesting options to take a main event chance on.

Though honestly it's probably just because I ain't really on board with Ziggler, dude puts on some solid matches but lacks any other engaging factor for me, though it's nice he gets some sort of reaction from the fans, maybe that will help him out more than I'd expect in the long run.
The dude overcame the odds when Cena couldn't... I don't think anybody in the company besides Cena, Bryan, or Lesnar has been booked as strongly as Ziggler was in that Survivor Series match. I haven't tabulated his W/L the last couple of months, but beyond the weird way that Rusev DQ win ended, I can't remember him looking weak at any point (save for the random beatdowns in the SS leadup). He even looked strong in the RAW match he lost the IC title in.

I'm with you on him being less engaging than others make him out to be, but you gotta take any ray of light when you wade through the rest of the sea of shit. As long as he doesn't tag with the fucking Usos in the near future, I'm all good.

Thing with Ziggler is... with Orton and Bryan back imminently, Ziggler is down another 2 pegs on WWE's depth chart and I saw Ziggler getting punked out on Raw as clear evidence of that.

cdViking

Eventually every IC champion succumbs to the crappy booking. Big E was pretty well protected for the first 3 months of his reign and then he fell off. BNB was doing good for about a month and then they started beating him again. I don't see the trend changing with Ziggler.

He wasn't protected worth shit during that Miz feud, so you're probably right. I just hope he stays protected until 'Mania so the IC belt feels like *something* there.

edit: As to your follow-up... you're probably right. Maybe he'll be the next stop for Rusev? I actually wouldn't mind at all if they had a unification match at 'Mania, and both were booked strongly until then. You could actually have a big fight feel, and continue to grow the legend of Rusev if Ziggler does the job. I think those guys could have a good 15-20 minute match. I'm afraid that Rusev and Ryback not trading actual wins the last couple of weeks is a fluke, but who knows... maybe WWE is capable of something positive? The last three weeks of RAW have been surprisingly okay (this week actually being quite enjoyable).

I feel so bad for Pierce Brosnan. I watched the Bond doc from a couple years ago and he was so excited to be Bond. Bond movies are what inspired him to become an actor. He had it taken away from him with Remmington Steele. And he finally gets it and his movies are so shitty. And he knows they're so shitty and it seems to really depress the shit out of him.

"Where did it all go wrong...."

It is a shame as he looked so much like James Bond.

No matter what, when I think James Bond, Brosnan is who I think of. Probably a generational thing with Goldeneye being a success and the N64 game being so popular.

First WrassleGaf post of 2015!

Also, when does TNA premier? I guess I'll watch the first episode to give them a chance.

I'll watch too, even though they don't deserve a chance. Apparently they are doing a wolves vs hardys match so that could be good I guess.

kiguel182

Next Wednesday, 9PM EST.

Then, Fridays at 9PM after the first episode.

#TNAnuary

Well, let's see if I won't forget this.

I'll watch too, even though they don't deserve a chance. Apparently they are doing a wolves vs hardys match so that could be good I guess.

Well, there's at least something good there. I'm curious to see the new setup and how they'll use their talent.

They have some great guys there, it's just a shame they can't turn that into something good.

I've been reading "The Professional Wrestler in the World of Sports Entertainment" by Matt Murphy

Matt Murphy isn't a big name, but he's wrestled a few big names, was trained by Harley Race before a car accident left him unable to wrestle. This book is basically his step by step guide into the wrestling business.

What really stuck out to me about this book is that it is a lot less idealistic than most wrestler books. He really gets into the more carny nature of the business. He basically warns you about every aspect you can think of from making sure your taxes are in order to why you should choose the wrestling school you should. He stresses the importance of marketability over pure technical skill, and echoes an opinion I have that the reason most indy guys don't make it despite technically being better wrestlers than guys in the WWE is because they all seem to be chasing the Malenko/Benoit aura of "tough regular looking guy who is a good technical wrestler."

It's a fascinating book from an outsider looking in sort of way, and hell I think most aspiring or even established pro wrestlers should look at it

Alternatively, I found all the chapters online free

Well, let's see if I won't forget this.

Well, there's at least something good there. I'm curious to see the new setup and how they'll use their talent.

They have some great guys there, it's just a shame they can't turn that into something good.

It's just horrible booking and noone there knows how to layout a match. Even on ppv their main events rarely went 15 minutes. Plus their roster is so limited now that most of these guys have been run through the ringer the last few years and the roster is extremely tired, especially in the main event scene.

Aiii

So not worth it
I expect to see some faces other than just FallingEdge's this year, show yourself you weaklings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom