• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

T.A.L

Does this man look like a jobber to you?

l65011L.jpg

As the hat would imply "Yas"

Fox318

Horrible example because they banned blood way before she ever thought of campaigning. They got rid of it when they went PG to get them more sponsors and attract more viewers. Some sponsors actually left while watching a Shawn and Jericho match where they were both bleeding over each other before they went PG.

That stacker2 money still could have kept coming in.

They have a horrible marketing department anyway.

Also why don't they make any shirts besides t-shirts and easy screen printed shit?

Where are the golf shirts?

Where are the fake sports jerseys?

Where is anything that an adult wouldn't be embarrassed of wearing ?

somedevil

That stacker2 money still could have kept coming in.

They have a horrible marketing department anyway.

Also why don't they make any shirts besides t-shirts and easy screen printed shit?

Where are the golf shirts?

Where are the fake sports jerseys?

Where is anything that an adult wouldn't be embarrassed of wearing ?

The PG switch got them the mattel deal. As for clothes. This is from Meltzer:

The WWE's deal with Tapout is apparently just about done and could be announced at any time. Tapout is a former major UFC sponsor, an MMA clothing brand that will become WWE's partner as a pro wrestling clothing brand.

So you get to see what Tapout does with the WWE brand now since MMA left them for Reebok.

Fox318

I feel like there is a problem when the best shirts you can get from wrestlers is from indie stores.

Outside of that CM Punk shirt, the Cesaro shirts, and maybe the Ambrose stuff when was the last shirts they made that people actually thought looked cool?

MzqLeh1.jpg'

Why is Cena and Nikki the only people to get baseball caps?

SHit they aren't even fitted.

Fox318

The PG switch got them the mattel deal. As for clothes. This is from Meltzer:

So you get to see what Tapout does with the WWE brand now since MMA left them for Reebok.

Except I don't buy for a second that WWE couldn't negotiate with Mattel if their product was TV-14.

You think if Austin comes back for 31 and he wants to be real ass Austin and flip motherfuckers off and blade Mattel will say no dice?

Zach

I feel like there is a problem when the best shirts you can get from wrestlers is from indie stores.

Outside of that CM Punk shirt, the Cesaro shirts, and maybe the Ambrose stuff when was the last shirts they made that people actually thought looked cool?

The majority of official wrestling merchandise has always been rather hideous and embarrassing soooo...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WWF's toy sales peaked during the attitude era. If they were still that popular they'd still get all the toys and have the blood.

That being said the second highest point in the product was super PG.

I wonder why Cena never went all out and wore fitted caps. It's what all the hip kids wear nowadays and Cena would look no different. He'd actually look less of a goober actually.

Fox318

Austin is 50 and hasn't wrestled in over ten years. You think he's coming back to shred up his forehead?

Mania in Texas.

Jerry Jones driving up with a huge truckload of cash.

Vince giving Austin complete creative control. (Might be a bad thing considering his heel turn at X-Seven was Austin's idea).

Largest wrestling audience outside of that WCW show in Korea.

Giant truckload of money

Giant truckload of money

Giant truckload of money

somedevil

Except I don't buy for a second that WWE couldn't negotiate with Mattel if their product was TV-14.

You think if Austin comes back for 31 and he wants to be real ass Austin and flip motherfuckers off and blade Mattel will say no dice?

lol, he actually going demand to blade himself? Besides all the other times he been on the show he has not done the middle finger once.

If he does Wrestlemania he might be allowed to do the finger again if he wants too. Also no chance a kids toy line Mattel will align itself with a tv-14 product.

As great as some thought the attitude era was it had negative effects that are still being felt today. It drove sponsors away and killed them getting good rates for companies to pay to run commercials during there show.

Thats why Soccer gets better tv contracts then them.

Fox318

I wonder why Cena never went all out and wore fitted caps. It's what all the hip kids wear nowadays and Cena would look no different. He'd actually look less of a goober actually.

Most people are into snapbacks today.

I don't like snapbacks. I'd rather pay a premium for a nice fitted cap.

Plus snapbacks are cheap as shit to mass produce and sell. When it comes to stitching the cost is way more than if they just mass produced and screen printed everything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brock Rock
Austin/Whomever
STANG/UNDATAKER double retirement match

It's going to be nothing but oldies at the top of XXXII

just a reminder that this thread was in support of ceasaro's post wm30 heel turn and heyman pairing when a select few were saying it was a terrible idea and would take him nowhere

Fox318

lol, he actually going demand to blade himself? Besides all the other times he been on the show he has not done the middle finger once.

If he does Wrestlemania he might be allowed to do the finger again if he wants too. Also no chance a kids toy line Mattel will align itself with a tv-14 product.

As great as some thought the attitude era was it had negative effects that are still being felt today. It drove sponsors away and killed them getting good rates for companies to pay to run commercials during there show.

Thats why Soccer gets better tv contracts then them.

If the product is popular enough Mattel isn't going to say no to money.

Only thing that hurt adult sponsors with the WWE was the rise of UFC. Had WWE been able to maintain 3/4 of its ratings from its height there would be way more adult sponsors.

I think Linda's political plans and the piss poor development under Johnny Ace is what hurt the company the most.

If WWE didn't have ROH they would be so fucked right now.

Recall

WCW Greed 2001 (March 18, 2001)

This is it the final WCW PPV and all the belts are up for grabs including brand new gold in Cruiserweight Tag Titles so even here it is clear that there were still hopes the end wasn’t drawing near and there would be a future. I’ve never seen the show so let’s give it a look and see how entertaining WCW’s final PPV was.

Match: Kwee-Wee vs. Jason Jett
Thoughts: Jason Jett formerly known in ECW mostly during the year of 2000 as EZ Money took the risk of coming to WCW just a week shy from the company closing and it was a shame it did. He has the athleticism along with the size to really make it anywhere, maybe not your top world title guy but as that totally dependable and exciting worker you want to straddle that line between mid-upper card to deliver the goods when needed. There really is a crispness and determination to this match, which I thoroughly enjoyed and it made for a great watch as it was two guys going out there to show they are still willing work hard and entertain even if their future’s were uncertain and how can you not appreciate that.
Rating: ***1/2

Match: Elix Skipper & Kid Romero vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. & Billy Kidman (Tournament Final for the Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles)
Thoughts: All four bumped like mad men and everyone worked their assess off to create one fantastic tag match that was not only thrilling but downright mesmerising. There was no time to catch your breath, which did slightly impede the whole tag idea at times but they made exciting new stars out of Skipper and Romero and the impending end was not enough to stop anyone from putting forth 100% and making something truly special. They actually meshed so well that if they ever had a rematch I couldn’t even imagine how they would top this.
Rating: ****1/4

Match: Shawn Stasiak vs. Bam Bam Bigelow
Thoughts: I actually enjoyed Shawn Stasiak’s rip off Rick Rude heel routine, the arrogant “I’m beautiful” and better than you deal and it was the only redeeming part of the match. Neither man really tried in the wrestling department and felt like it would have been best suited on a Nitro rather than a PPV but I’m glad it was just a short match.
Rating: *

Match: Lance Storm & Mike Awesome vs. Hugh Morrus & Konnan
Thoughts: Everyone just went through the motions and sloppily too with little to no effort from anyone for 11 never ending minutes. Terrible.

Match: Shane Helms vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr. (c) (WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
Thoughts: It may not have had the heat it deserved but this was an intriguing and technically sound match that just lacked a little something to take it over the edge. It had the moves, it had the wrestling structure of telling a story of old vs. new but it just didn’t have that fire towards the end to take it further yet it still honestly kept me captivated. Though I do love this whole the new generation are taking over attitude it just came at a time where it was too late to see where it would take the company.
Rating: ***

Match: Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell vs. Sean O’Haire & Chuck Palumbo (c) (WCW Tag Team Title Match)
Thoughts: Fuck you old timers because these new guys just squashed you in under a minute, now get the fuck out and never come back!

Match: Kanyon vs. Ernest “The Cat” Miller
Thoughts: A perfect TV match that somehow ended up on a PPV though it gave the crowd what they wanted and it entertained enough to make them care for finish but it wasn’t anything overly special and as a match was more about overcoming the heel shenanigans. The Cat had his moments to shine with his flashy kicks and Kanyon being a wrestler who seemingly can work with anyone.
Rating: **

Match: Booker T vs. Rick Steiner (c) (WCW U.S Title Match)
Thoughts: Rick Steiner punches, kicks, chin locks & rest holds and each time Booker T has a moment of hope Rick powers him down and regains control, this process happens three times. Once Booker T gains some solid momentum there is a ref bump allowing Shane Douglas to interfere for some unknown reason and hit Rick allowing Booker to pick up the win with the Bookend. Rick Steiner sold nothing the entire match because why would he.

Match: Jeff Jarrett & Ric Flair vs. Dustin & Dusty Rhodes
Thoughts: 4 guys in a ring and only one of them is actually wearing wrestling gear, which I think is quite telling what to expect here. The crowd totally lose their minds over the Dusty / Flair interactions showing that a WCW crowd might of even bought into another singles match between them even in 2001!?! It was a well paced and pretty entertaining match if not of course outright silly but the crowd totally seemed to love everything about it.
Rating: **1/4

Match: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Scott Steiner (c) (Falls count Anywhere WCW World Heavyweight Title Match)
Thoughts: What a great fight we had it all, brawling in the crowd, weapons, table spots, blood, great wrestling and some enjoyable build up and sports entertainment drama adding to that big fight feel. There was no down time allowing everything to flow very well and they really brought forth the effort here and it turned out to be one of the better WCW PPV main events.
Ratings: ***1/2

Overall: Every PPV has its shit matches with a few exceptions of course but while the shit really was shitty, the good stuff here was really damn good. The opening match, the Cruiserweight Tag match was just electric, the Helms/Chavo was good, Dusty/Flair tag match was absurd fun and the main event delivered in that it was hard hitting and no-one tried to phone it in. Yes it may have all been for nothing in hindsight (WCW was dead 8 days later) and it no longer had those “big stars” but WCW showed it didn’t need them and their willingness to finally phase out the old guard and let some new/held down faces shine for once was great to see. I liked the show and enjoyed my time watching it, yeah there is a little bias as I’ve always kept my expectations in check with WCW but I feel all things considered this show delivered.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That lineup will be far more exciting and have way more buzz than if it was dominated by young guns.

I'm pretty sure this is what the plan is. Maybe Goldberg as well. The checkbook is going to be open for this one.

I did hear an interesting idea to save Bryan and give him a good match at Mania this year.

Have him fight HBK. Student versus Teacher. Friend of the Authority versus Bryan who has already run through the rest of them. Plus he screwed him over and cut that promo on him in 2013.

Fave Five wrestlers who were shafted out of the Mania main event spot this year:

1. Rollins - Real WWE Superstar of the Year
2. Ambrose - Given absolutely dreadful shit for the past months so he could have really used a Rumble win to set up the Shield three way
3. DB - ranked 3rd solely because he was out all year, no doubt would have made the best story against Lesnar though
4. Ziggler - seemed to make the most sense from a storyline point of view and really really could have used a Rumble win above anyone else.
5. Rusev - because he's killa

Fox318

I still don't understand why they didn't do a Shields 3 way for the belt.

Have Ambrose win the rumble and rollins get a fucking cheap ass pin on Cena for the belt.

An angry babyface Brock demands a title shot and demands his but HHH says Bork must defeat the champion who never lost his belt first before he can get his rematch.

Bork vs Bryan.
Reigns vs Rollins vs Ambrose.

You get 3 guys experience in the Wrestlemania main event while providing a super entertaining match with Bork and Bryan with real implications.

I still don't understand why they didn't do a Shields 3 way for the belt.

Have Ambrose win the rumble and rollins get a fucking cheap ass pin on Cena for the belt.

An angry babyface Brock demands a title shot and demands his but HHH says Bork must defeat the champion who never lost his belt first before he can get his rematch.

Bork vs Bryan.
Reigns vs Rollins vs Ambrose.

You get 3 guys experience in the Wrestlemania main event while providing a super entertaining match with Bork and Bryan with real implications.

How does Reigns get in the match story-wise though? You just threw him in there for no reason, Vince.

- Reigns wins Rumble
- Rollins gets title (via cashing in MITB or some other method); after match, but still in-ring, Ambrose ambushes Rollins and beats him to a pulp
- Rollins complains to Authority, Ambrose demands his vengeance that he never got
- BS match on Raw or at Fast Lane to get Ambrose in main event; odds against Ambrose, but still wins

There we go.

- Reigns wins Rumble
- Rollins gets title (via cashing in MITB or some other method); after match, but still in-ring, Ambrose ambushes Rollins and beats him to a pulp
- Rollins complains to Authority, Ambrose demands his vengeance that he never got
- BS match on Raw or at Fast Lane to get Ambrose in main event; odds against Ambrose, but still wins

There we go.

As much as I want for Rollins to cash in successfully, I'd really like to see Ambrose keep their rivalry going.

But I definitely want that triple threat. It wont happen though, because Brock Lesnar is the only one who can make Reigns look the strongest.

The match is happening, Reigns is Cena-level, not Bootista level, and that's good enough for Vince.

The only young star who really seems to benefit from Mania is Wyatt, if they let him kill Undertaker forever.

Top Bottom