• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

B8Kv9F2IUAAhWbD.jpg

strobogo

Banned
if stro is banned before I wake
pray thy hbo go his soul to take

Fire me
I'm already fired
Fire me
I'm already fired

I don't give a fuck. If I get banned for responding to an uninvited attack, I don't care. Who gives a shit. Has anyone really suffered from getting banned from GAF? I imagine most people see an immediate uptick in quality of life.

I don't give a fuck. If I get banned for responding to an uninvited attack, I don't care. Who gives a shit. Has anyone really suffered from getting banned from GAF? I imagine most people see an immediate uptick in quality of life.

(Sad to see you go) was sorta hoping that you'd stay

(Baby we both know) that the nights were mainly made for saying things that you can't say tomorrow day

xAYFnr2.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That match sucked, and it wasn't anyone's fault on God Team. The two guys on Brad Armstrong's team were super fucking green. Brad Armstrong sucks. I've been over this before but one of the worst aspects of early 90s WCW is the constant attempts to try to push Brad Armstrong. 'He's so underrated,' It's like they're saying the fans are wrong for not liking him as much as they want to push him. Yet in this match the underrated Armstrong has multiple botches. Takes a back body drop wrong from Orndorff and a slingshot suplex wrong from Rick Rude. You're too shitty to work with Rude and Orndorff. Rude and Orndorff who worked Warrior and Hogan. He's WCW's Roman Reigns but with a booking team that listens to fan input.

But still, I got a glimpse of three of my favorites of all time on the same team. And that was well worth it.

and then I watched Tenzan job out some dude
a6ugMTR.gif

Unique camera shot of a diving headbutt. At this point it's weird seeing prime Tenzan. It's like, 'oh right you used to be really good.'

strobogo

Banned
That match sucked, and it wasn't anyone's fault on God Team. The two guys on Brad Armstrong's team were super fucking green. Brad Armstrong sucks. I've been over this before but one of the worst aspects of early 90s WCW is the constant attempts to try to push Brad Armstrong. 'He's so underrated,' It's like they're saying the fans are wrong for not liking him as much as they want to push him. Yet in this match the underrated Armstrong has multiple botches. Takes a back body drop wrong from Orndorff and a slingshot suplex wrong from Rick Rude. You're too shitty to work with Rude and Orndorff. Rude and Orndorff who worked Warrior and Hogan. He's WCW's Roman Reigns but with a booking team that listens to fan input.

But still, I got a glimpse of three of my favorites of all time on the same team. And that was well worth it.

There is an Austin/Rude/Orndorff vs Sting/Pillman/Dustin Rhodes match in a cage and it is also SEVERELY underwhelming. That sounds like a recipe for a 10 star match, but it might as well have been a random Saturday Night match. Meltzerz gave it 4 1/2 stars, but I think that was on the idea of the match more than the match itself. For whatever reason, Austin/Rude/Orndorff just didn't gel as a team. Orndorff is the odd man out, I think. Austin/Rude were fine in tag matches during the Dangerous Alliance era.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There is an Austin/Rude/Orndorff vs Sting/Pillman/Dustin Rhodes match in a cage and it is also SEVERELY underwhelming. That sounds like a recipe for a 10 star match, but it might as well have been a random Saturday Night match. Meltzerz gave it 4 1/2 stars, but I think that was on the idea of the match more than the match itself. For whatever reason, Austin/Rude/Orndorff just didn't gel as a team. Orndorff is the odd man out, I think. Austin/Rude were fine in tag matches during the Dangerous Alliance era.

At that point, Austin and Rude had known each other personally for a while since Rude was kinda 'road mentoring' him. So they had that relationship already. I don't know how well Orndorff knew either one of them. At first I would say the problem would be that Orndroff is primarily a singles guy for most of his career up to that point, but he was fine with Roma which would have been the same year. Austin was the ultimate student and Rude and Orndorff were probably the two best guys he could have learned from so I don't know why it was nothing special.

There is a moment where Rude gyrates at the other team to distract the ref and Orndorff does the most covert 'run in and kick Brad Armstrong and run back out' spot I've ever seen.

JavyOO7

AUSTIN/RUDE/ORNDROFF TAGGING TOGETHER

THE GOD DAMN TRIFECTA. HOLY SHIT. This is the most Datazord team ever assembled.
zWCAPjw.gif

Rude selling the piledriver. Brad Armstrong botches all over the fucking place. That's your Dangerous Alliance right there.

WWE Network team needs to step it up and put shows like the above on the network already. Many of these youtube/dailymotion/etc stuff come straight from the owner's VCR. And while quality is okay, I'll be obnoxious and say I love the video quality the network dishes out for the stuff in the 80s/90s in glorious 420p.

strobogo

Banned
At that point, Austin and Rude had known each other personally for a while since Rude was kinda 'road mentoring' him. So they had that relationship already. I don't know how well Orndorff knew either one of them. At first I would say the problem would be that Orndroff is primarily a singles guy for most of his career up to that point, but he was fine with Roma which would have been the same year. Austin was the ultimate student and Rude and Orndorff were probably the two best guys he could have learned from so I don't know why it was nothing special.

There is a moment where Rude gyrates at the other team to distract the ref and Orndorff does the most covert 'run in and kick Brad Armstrong and run back out' spot I've ever seen.

Sometimes guys just don't gel. Those three on paper should have been the greatest six man team of all time, but something just didn't work. To me, it has to be Orndorff, who was past his prime and had been doing the WWF style for 10 years while Rude and Austin were raised in the Texas/Southern style. I have often thought about what Rick Rude could have done if he hadn't be injured when he was. He had a solid 5-7 years left as a top guy, I think. Imagine Attitude Era Rick Rude. One that is was actually a competitor. He probably would have ended up with the Val Venis gimmick.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watched Chris Michaels get squashed by the Disasters on Wrestling Challenge. I know they say it a lot in wrestling, but god damn the Disasters are just monsters. They're probably the most awe inspiring sight in wrestling. Even tall guys like Giant Gonzales doesn't make me react to seeing these huge fuckers walk down the ramp and the fact that there's two of them.
golden-axe-tyris.jpg

Also Chris Adams vs Savage on your C show. Even in 98, that says a hell of a lot about your roster.

Xater

Of course I fell asleep...

How was the Rumble guys? Apparently Breeze won which I am fine with. How did my boy Yokozuna do?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Kerry Von Erich steps in for the late Bruiser Brody to battle Kamala I know it's like a 'duh' thing to say a Von Erich is over in WCCW.... but god damn is Kerry Von Erich over. I don't even mean like 'look at that pop' and more like just watch how people react to him when he comes out. Obviously the Von Erichs were insanely over in Texas, but it's fun to find matches that remind you just how over they were combined with Kerry's natural charisma. Shit, what a megastar. Mother fucker comes to the ring covered in lipstick. Girls grabbing his robe.

miserable

strobogo, how do you manage your JIFS? do you keep them on your hdd, do you bookmark the links or do you have them uploaded and organized on some site?

Hasney

If Dudleys are there, I'm hoping that there's a worked injury in one of the other matches so we assume it was them, then later on, the music hits and they both come out with a table.

Then call it ECW week again next week and put up fucking Wrestlepalooza 97 on the network.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So while I was thinking about who NJPW could bring in for BOSJ 2015, I just recalled that Ricochet won BOSJ 2014. What a fucking misuse that was. He didn't do anything for them this year. A far worse choice than giving Lesnar the WWE title.

I had completely forgotten that he won it.

I feel like Rock winning the Rumble would be bittersweet. I'd probably enjoy seeing him against Brock, but goddamn can we give someone who isn't an old guy a main event for once?

WTF? The Rock? He's in the rumble???

He's in Philly. No one knows exactly what he'll be doing on the PPV, but it may be the Rumble itself. They wanted to do Rock vs. Brock last year. Makes sense they might go that way now. It's all speculation of course. But it's nearly confirmed he'll show up tomorrow night for something. And in turn he'll be doing something at Mania. According to Meltzer, the only thing we know for sure is that Rock vs. Rusev isn't happening.

Rock vs Brock kinda sounds boring cos Rock stinks on promos now with his mugging and Brock is best when he's the impossible feat to beat, and the Rock is too super powered in legacy for that angle to work and they wouldn't really go for it anyway.

I'd rather Brock vs Reigns. That would be new at least. Or Brock vs Bryan cos that would work with Brock's character best. Or whatever. Just something new.

The only thing that makes me think that Rock won't come in and win the Rumble itself is that, assuming Brock doesn't re-sign, you go into Mania in a corner. I mean, you could always have Seth cash-in, but Rock vs. Brock for the title with both of them leaving the next day seems like an odd sell. Seems more likely that Brock would drop the belt and then they would do that match. But if that is the case then what the hell will Rock do tomorrow night?

Top Bottom