• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

What country are you from? And 3 months as in 90 days or more than 90 days?

From the US. I suppose I will stay as long as the visa is valid (I thought I read that it is 90 days, ~ 3 months). I would like to potentially get a job teaching or tutoring. I'm an attorney, so helping professionals with English would be ideal. If they give me a working visa, I would love to stay longer. I do have to go back to the US in the summer, however.

If not, I'm okay with moving back to Bangkok after my visa in Japan is up. I love it there.

Hopefully there's a GAF meetup or two while I'm there. I should be arriving late November, early December after I leave China.

From the US. I suppose I will stay as long as the visa is valid (I thought I read that it is 90 days, ~ 3 months). I would like to potentially get a job teaching or tutoring. I'm an attorney, so helping professionals with English would be ideal. If they give me a working visa, I would love to stay longer. I do have to go back to the US in the summer, however.

Yeah, it's 90 days if you're from the US:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Ayumi

You're not legally allowed to work/earn money while on a tourist visa. You can however, spend the time going to interviews and such during those 90 days.

You'll also need a BA degree or higher to qualify for the normal working visa. If you find a company that will hire you and sponsor your visa, you'll have to provide documents to prove your degree. Not all companies care what your BA you're holding though, as long as you have one.

Pretty sure there are legal companies who need English speakers to teach law/legal vocabulary and such, if that's what you were thinking of.

megabadd

Thanks for the information. I'm N1 and 準2級 in kanken. Interpretation I've done quite a bit of for work in the past, and I enjoy it however yes, not sure how I'd deal with the fatigue. I was thinking more along the lines of written translation, but I will definitely keep an eye on that website.

I'm actually an artist by 'trade', so anything with art makes my ears perk up!

準2級 in kanken? I straight up caught the vapours reading that. You should be able to find work as a translator here, but I don't know any of the traditional avenues for breaking into the industry, freelance or no.

Ayumi

Let's see! August 14th:

ElectricKaibutsu
Urfe
megabadd
Ayumi

Come on, guys! We had a huge one last time.
But Evil was there too and I guess everyone wanted to see him in flesh.

D-Does ponpo live near/around Tokyo? I wanna meet him.. ; ~ ;

You're not legally allowed to work/earn money while on a tourist visa. You can however, spend the time going to interviews and such during those 90 days.

You'll also need a BA degree or higher to qualify for the normal working visa. If you find a company that will hire you and sponsor your visa, you'll have to provide documents to prove your degree. Not all companies care what your BA you're holding though, as long as you have one.

Pretty sure there are legal companies who need English speakers to teach law/legal vocabulary and such, if that's what you were thinking of.

Can you clarify for me whether I can technically work and earn money outside of the country while I am there on a tourist visa? In Thailand, for example, a digital nomad like myself can live in the country on a tourist visa while doing work over the Internet for a US-based business. This is my situation with my virtual law firm setup. I am paid in the US through a US bank, doing work for US clients. However, I am physically present in another country while doing said work.

And I have four degrees, so that should be no problem. Do you think a photo of my masters and JD degrees would be sufficient to procure that kind of work?

Thanks for the help.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
And this is why I'm asking here :D
Thanks a lot for the info!

What then would you say is the most challenging office environment difference that you had to adjust to?

Daily planning and execution. If you're familiar with a daily time sheet, the difference between one of a Japanese worker and one of western worker is very different. As context, I've worked in industry (pharma) and public financial services in many offices across the country. I'm now back in NYC/NJ as an international desk for a few years before heading back. This is just an example/anecdote and not meant to be fact across the entire spectrum.

A typical young Japanese worker's morning looks like this: Come in early, begin work.
A typical young western worker's morning looks this: Come in late, begin chatting at the coffee machine, walk around, check up on mail/social media, begin work.

Now, this isn't a criticism of either. The western worker gets the exact same amount of work done in the day, they just stay later because they haven't budgeted their time completely around work. The Japanese worker gets the work done faster, but then feels the need to secure more work and not be idle, often taking on more than they can chew.

Also note, the western worker is essentially better known around the office and has developed bonds/a network even with people they are not directly working with. The Japanese worker doesn't worry about networking during the day as there are opportunities after work, but these are less natural and the strength of their network outside of their core team is less.

Networking abilities/strategies of a Japanese or western employee are also very different. But that's another topic/post.

Ayumi

Can you clarify for me whether I can technically work and earn money outside of the country while I am there on a tourist visa? In Thailand, for example, a digital nomad like myself can live in the country on a tourist visa while doing work over the Internet for a US-based business. This is my situation with my virtual law firm setup. I am paid in the US through a US bank, doing work for US clients. However, I am physically present in another country while doing said work.

And I have four degrees, so that should be no problem. Do you think a photo of my masters and JD degrees would be sufficient to procure that kind of work?

Thanks for the help.
Regarding income tax:

ー Non-Resident
A person who has lived in Japan for less than one year and does not have his primary base of living in Japan. Non-residents pay taxes only on income from sources in Japan, but not on income from abroad.

The only people who have to pay taxes from working abroad in Japan are permanent residents. You're a tourist as well, so it would be irrelevant for Japan if you earned money from abroad, as you have no involvement with residency and income in Japan.

Just make sure you still pay/file your taxes in the US while getting paid in Japan!

You can read more here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2206.html

The working visa paper requirements should be relatively straight forward for US residents. I'm not one so I don't know *how* easy, but I have friends from the US here who have working visas. I don't know if they require your actual diploma or what for applying but I can imagine it's a little strict on the "proof" part to make sure they avoid scams/fake ones.

You should check out the US embassy's website, their info is the most up-to-date you will find: http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7108b.html

I'm pretty sure you can also find a list of what to provide when applying for the working visa. If you do that, by the way, you give the papers to your employer and they take care of it for you. If you're unsure, you can also call your embassy.

Koriandrr

Daily planning and execution. If you're familiar with a daily time sheet, the difference between one of a Japanese worker and one of western worker is very different. As context, I've worked in industry (pharma) and public financial services in many offices across the country. I'm now back in NYC/NJ as an international desk for a few years before heading back. This is just an example/anecdote and not meant to be fact across the entire spectrum.

A typical young Japanese worker's morning looks like this: Come in early, begin work.
A typical young western worker's morning looks this: Come in late, begin chatting at the coffee machine, walk around, check up on mail/social media, begin work.

Now, this isn't a criticism of either. The western worker gets the exact same amount of work done in the day, they just stay later because they haven't budgeted their time completely around work. The Japanese worker gets the work done faster, but then feels the need to secure more work and not be idle, often taking on more than they can chew.

Also note, the western worker is essentially better known around the office and has developed bonds/a network even with people they are not directly working with. The Japanese worker doesn't worry about networking during the day as there are opportunities after work, but these are less natural and the strength of their network outside of their core team is less.

Networking abilities/strategies of a Japanese or western employee are also very different. But that's another topic/post.

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense actually, I really appreciate your time writing a comprehensive post :)

So, from what you said I would imagine that skill and capability of a person are far more important when looking for a job. E.g. in the west you can get a job by knowing the right people and approaching them at the right time. I think this is one of the main reasons for networking in the first place. How possible is this in a Japanese environment?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The focus on "ability" will vary depending on the industry. While networking is certainly important here in America, there is also a lot of focus on "fit." Most interviews on the business front are to determine whether or not you're someone I'd work with, not whether your 3.97 gpa is better than the guy with a 3.96. Or whether your internship at Bloomberg was better than that guy's internship at JP. Sure, in Japan there is more focus on the technical than the personal, but even after working there so long I lean towards the personal side when evaluating a candidate.

Not to mention plenty of people in Japan get positions because they know a guy, or the stereotypical son-in-law situation. Recruiting procedures and policies are obviously different, but, at least in my area, they're pretty consistent on both sides of the ocean. Tomorrow I'll be in Boston for a big bilingual recruiting event. While we're primarily recruiting for our local offices here, most of the candidates will be Japanese kids going to school over here. They'll be evaluated by me (non-Japanese) and my coworkers (Japanese) in essentially two different recruiting styles.

Ayumi

ElectricKaibutsu (+ 1)
Urfe
megabadd
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph

Cool! This is becoming a nice little group.

Edit:

It looks like there's a Wara Wara right near Tokyo station: http://goo.gl/maps/beJKo

How would that be for everyone?
That's a little far from me.. how about everyone post the areas they prefer? Then it's easier to agree on where we'd go. I wanna be selfish and say Shibuya, but I realize some of you guys live on the right side too. Reason I prefer a more closer place, as I mentioned before, is so I can take a cab home if I miss the train. Last time we were out until like.. 3-4 AM? I don't even remember. lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I live now near Ikebukuro, so for me Yamanote should be ok, if i need to stay after the last train, i prefer Shibuya, Shinjuku.

ElectricKaibutsu (+ 1)
Urfe
megabadd
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph
MightyKAC

I'm in Chiba on the Tozai line so, like Urfe, around Tokyo station or Ginza would be best for me. But it looks like most people would prefer Shibuya, so maybe we should just go for that :).

How about we do the 黄金の蔵 near Shibuya station? I've never been to that chain before but urfe says it's cheap. How does that sound?

megabadd

ElectricKaibutsu (+ 1)
Urfe
megabadd
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph
MightyKAC

I'm in Chiba on the Tozai line so, like Urfe, around Tokyo station or Ginza would be best for me. But it looks like most people would prefer Shibuya, so maybe we should just go for that :).

How about we do the 黄金の蔵 near Shibuya station? I've never been to that chain before but urfe says it's cheap. How does that sound?

Being an Ebisu-ian, I too vote for Shibuya. If we finish at a not too god-forsaken hour and people seem relatively un-crazy I could probably offer up my place for some Mario Kart U action.

Zornica

Banned
ElectricKaibutsu (+ 1)
Urfe
megabadd
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph
MightyKAC
(Zornica)

it's next friday, right? did we agree on a meeting time yet?
I've got university till around 6pm and then it would take me about 45 minutes to get to the outskirts of tokyo (shinagawa). Shibuya would be another ~15 minutes, which is fine by me. If me arriving at7pm (or later) is ok with you, count me in)
黄金の蔵 sounds perfect, apparently they got pizza as part of their 飲み放題.

Jomjom

Banned
Sorry to interrupt the meet up posts, but what's the best way to exchange currency if you don't have an account in Japan? By that I mean where would you get the best rate? I do have a Citibank account and I heard they have branches there.

megabadd

ElectricKaibutsu (+ 1)
Urfe
megabadd (+1)
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph
MightyKAC

Bringing a +1 if that's cool.

megabadd

Sorry to interrupt the meet up posts, but what's the best way to exchange currency if you don't have an account in Japan? By that I mean where would you get the best rate? I do have a Citibank account and I heard they have branches there.

Are you in Japan already or coming soon? If you're not in Japan yet, and assuming you're in the US and have a little time, I suggest opening a Charles Schwab checking account and just withdrawing from Citibank/7-11 ATMs. Good rates (It's the VISA rate, and that is generally 1 yen lower than actual rate), no foreign transaction or conversion fees, and all ATM fees refunded.

I'd check to make sure that you can withdraw from Citi ATMs here with no fees. In a lot of frustrating ways, Citi Japan is a totally separate entity from Citi US.

Jomjom

Banned
Are you in Japan already or coming soon? If you're not in Japan yet, and assuming you're in the US and have a little time, I suggest opening a Charles Schwab checking account and just withdrawing from Citibank/7-11 ATMs. Good rates (It's the VISA rate, and that is generally 1 yen lower than actual rate), no foreign transaction or conversion fees, and all ATM fees refunded.

I'd check to make sure that you can withdraw from Citi ATMs here with no fees. In a lot of frustrating ways, Citi Japan is a totally separate entity from Citi US.

Yeah I'm in the US but getting on the plane in about 6 hours. I've checked with Citi here and confirmed that I can withdraw from the Go to ATMs in Japan with no fees.

I'm guessing the Charles Schwab account is what gives you the 1 yen less than market rate right and not the bank whose ATM you withdraw from right?

I exchanged some money here at Citi and Im a citigold member which means no fee for exchanges but they still only gave me about 108 yen per dollar even though the market rate was almost 114. I was hoping there was an option in Japan that would be better than that.

Zornica

Banned
from what I've been told, the exchange rates at narita airport are supposed to be very favourable. at least until you can get you own bank account set up.

Jomjom

Banned
from what I've been told, the exchange rates at narita airport are supposed to be very favourable. at least until you can get you own bank account set up.

Ah, ok I'll be sure to check what the rates are. Here at LAX: a horrid 101 yen per dollar...

What is this 2013?

urfe

I went to that Yotsuya place last night, and holy moly is it cheap. Forgot to check about veggie stuff, but seemed like a normal izakaya enough.

megabadd

Yeah I'm in the US but getting on the plane in about 6 hours. I've checked with Citi here and confirmed that I can withdraw from the Go to ATMs in Japan with no fees.

I'm guessing the Charles Schwab account is what gives you the 1 yen less than market rate right and not the bank whose ATM you withdraw from right?

I exchanged some money here at Citi and Im a citigold member which means no fee for exchanges but they still only gave me about 108 yen per dollar even though the market rate was almost 114. I was hoping there was an option in Japan that would be better than that.

With my Schwab card and a 7/11 atm, I got 113.4 yen to the dollar on Thursday when the rate for the day was 114.6. If I remember correctly, the forex rate is always just set to what VISA pegs it to be for the day.

Jomjom

Banned
With my Schwab card and a 7/11 atm, I got 113.4 yen to the dollar on Thursday when the rate for the day was 114.6. If I remember correctly, the forex rate is always just set to what VISA pegs it to be for the day.

Nice! That's an awesome exchange rate. Hopefully my citi atm card will give me a similar rate. I didn't have any time to open a Schwab account.

When you withdraw from an atm and are doing a foreign currency exchange I'm guessing it tells you the rate prior right?

JulianImp

Hey JapanGAF, I'm currently looking for a way to extend my stay in Japan past when my tourist visa would expire (Dec 7th), and from what I've looked up that'd mean getting either a student or work visa.

I was thinking that the 28 hours of part-time work that you can get with a student visa might not be enough to pay for rent (currently paying ¥42K/month on Sakura House) on top of living expenses and the costs of whichever school I'd be attending to, but I'd like to hear what people who are already living in here think. If anything, I'd be interested in learning more Japanese, so I could use recommendations in that area.

If that's no good, I was thinking about getting almost any job where I can get sponsored for a work visa. Was currently contemplating teaching English since I hard it was fairly easy to get that kind of job, but would be open to other options that don't require mailing my degrees from home hoping they arrive fast and in once piece.

Ayumi

Hey JapanGAF, I'm currently looking for a way to extend my stay in Japan past when my tourist visa would expire (Dec 7th), and from what I've looked up that'd mean getting either a student or work visa.

I was thinking that the 28 hours of part-time work that you can get with a student visa might not be enough to pay for rent (currently paying ¥42K/month on Sakura House) on top of living expenses and the costs of whichever school I'd be attending to, but I'd like to hear what people who are already living in here think. If anything, I'd be interested in learning more Japanese, so I could use recommendations in that area.

If that's no good, I was thinking about getting almost any job where I can get sponsored for a work visa. Was currently contemplating teaching English since I hard it was fairly easy to get that kind of job, but would be open to other options that don't require mailing my degrees from home hoping they arrive fast and in once piece.

1 month seems extremely short for trying to get into a school + sort out a student visa, don't you think? Sounds pretty impossible.. And if you want a proper working visa, you need a BA degree or above, and a company that will both hire and sponsor you. My suggestion you would be to take your time to figure out what you really want to do in Japan. No need to rush - Japan isn't going anywhere.

JulianImp

1 month seems extremely short for trying to get into a school + sort out a student visa, don't you think? Sounds pretty impossible.. And if you want a proper working visa, you need a BA degree or above, and a company that will both hire and sponsor you. My suggestion you would be to take your time to figure out what you really want to do in Japan. No need to rush - Japan isn't going anywhere.

I expected as much, but was hoping I'd have a chance of working things out, however small it could be. At the very least, I didn't want to head back thinking there might've been a chance to get a job by looking a little more into things.

By the way, my degree is sadly the equivalent of pre-graduate level (since no schools in Argentina offer a graduate level degree in Game Design/Programming), which means I probably can't apply for any kind of work visa other than qualified labor. However, I'm kind of confused as to whether my field would fall into that for a japanese visa, or if it happens to be engineer-level and would thus require a graduate degree.

Ayumi

I expected as much, but was hoping I'd have a chance of working things out, however small it could be. At the very least, I didn't want to head back thinking there might've been a chance to get a job by looking a little more into things.

By the way, my degree is sadly the equivalent of pre-graduate level (since no schools in Argentina offer a graduate level degree in Game Design/Programming), which means I probably can't apply for any kind of work visa other than qualified labor. However, I'm kind of confused as to whether my field would fall into that for a japanese visa, or if it happens to be engineer-level and would thus require a graduate degree.

IIRC, you can get an engineering visa but you'd have to pass some kind of (insane) test. A friend of mine did this. He's the most amazing engineer ever, and he said the test was extremely hard.

I think you can also get a special skill visa, but you need to be able to prove like 10 years of continuos work in the field (not sure how, maybe in form of work contracts or paychecks). As you can see, it's extremely hard without a BA. Another friend of mine is a company transfer employee. He had to work 1 year in the company abroad before qualifying for a position/visa in Japan. Are you from the US?

urfe

The usual definition is a three or four year post-secondary (after high school) degree. Usually this means an undergraduate/Bachelor's degree, but doesn't necessarily have to.

megabadd

Nice! That's an awesome exchange rate. Hopefully my citi atm card will give me a similar rate. I didn't have any time to open a Schwab account.

When you withdraw from an atm and are doing a foreign currency exchange I'm guessing it tells you the rate prior right?

The ATMs I've used do not do that.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

None of the ATMs Ive seen in country tell you this.

You want to know what the ER is you need to hit up an actual bank window.

Ayumi

The withdraw charge all depends on your own bank though, not the ATMs, unless your card is Japanese. The rate, I don't know. Depends on each day - dunno where they get it from.

Jijidasu

Really feel like I'm in the worst city in Japan for my career. Teaching is fine and all, I'm good at it and have a ton of experience but it's painful fishing in a sea of shitty Eikaiwa for a private, singular school hire. Worst case scenario is I wait it out until next year and go back to the school I left (they want me back, when I'm "ready").

Or, I can try and convince my partner to move to another city after she graduates. There's very little localisation work available in Nagoya it would seem. I've seen some adverts for positions at the Australian consulate in Osaka, some game companies and so on. I don't even need to speak English at work, but it's a big leap moving (again).

Sorry for the rant, lol. This past week has been pretty boring. I did all the housework, started my freelance art a bit more seriously by going out to do en plein air water colours every day and played a lot of games. I kept busy but to be honest, I miss working.

Top Bottom