• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

I agree :), but I want to choose a place where everyone can eat and be merry.

Looks good to me! I can't find the nomihodai price on the website. You don't happen to know, do you?

I've done it added to a group course meal, and it seems it was +1620 (http://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1308/A130801/13035639/party/#party16964). I assume you can do it without the food course.

Nomikai (drink 2hr): 1620円
Nomikai (drink (2hr)+food): 3500円
Only food: 1880円

To be honest, their nomikai menu isn't that impressive. It's basically just beer, Chinese liquor, soft drinks and Chinese tea. Sorry to sound like a downer. :v

megabadd

Nomikai (drink 2hr): 1620円
Nomikai (drink (2hr)+food): 3500円
Only food: 1880円

To be honest, their nomikai menu isn't that impressive. It's basically just beer, Chinese liquor, soft drinks and Chinese tea. Sorry to sound like a downer. :v

They also have Chuuhai on the nomi menu.

I'm not 100% certain you can get the all-you-can-drink by itself, but I can check to make sure if people are considering this place.

Zornica

Banned
do you mean a vegetarian place? Honestly, I don't think there's too many of those. I went to a vegan raw food place last weekend, but it wasn't a drinking place.

nah, I don't need a dedicated vegetarian place, just some place that offers at least a few vegetarian dishes. As I mentioned, something like soba (dashi is ok most of the time), or vegetable tempura would be more then satisfactory.

(there are actually quite a lot vegetarian restaurants around tokyo, there's a great Taiwanese restaurant near Roppongi hills for example)

urfe

nah, I don't need a dedicated vegetarian place, just some place that offers at least a few vegetarian dishes. As I mentioned, something like soba (dashi is ok most of the time), or vegetable tempura would be more then satisfactory.

(there are actually quite a lot vegetarian restaurants around tokyo, there's a great Taiwanese restaurant near Roppongi hills for example)

Cool, apologies if I sounded aggressive.

I didn't eat meat for six years in Japan, so I know the struggle. After coming here, I started to eat seafood though.

Looking forward to the 14th!

Zornica

Banned
Cool, apologies if I sounded aggressive.

I didn't eat meat for six years in Japan, so I know the struggle. After coming here, I started to eat seafood though.

Looking forward to the 14th!

no offence taken, but if you're still interested in vegetarian food, you should check out happy cow.
as I mentioned, there are quite a lot really great restaurants around and in tokyo. some of them may even be interesting to non-vegetarians, like the one near roppongi hills I mentioned above. their mappo tofu is god tier.
and if you happen to go to kamakura, there is another great place in zushi. It's probably the most layed back place in all japan. it's like stepping through a portal to another country.

so after those recommendations, I could use some as well. A few friends of mine would like to go out for a drink tomorrow evening, but we couldn't come up with a location. They wanted to go to Roppongi, but I'd rather not go there. I'm not really sure what they are looking for, but anything not-roppongi is welcome.

urfe

no offence taken, but if you're still interested in vegetarian food, you should check out happy cow.
as I mentioned, there are quite a lot really great restaurants around and in tokyo. some of them may even be interesting to non-vegetarians, like the one near roppongi hills I mentioned above. their mappo tofu is god tier.
and if you happen to go to kamakura, there is another great place in zushi. It's probably the most layed back place in all japan. it's like stepping through a portal to another country.

so after those recommendations, I could use some as well. A few friends of mine would like to go out for a drink tomorrow evening, but we couldn't come up with a location. They wanted to go to Roppongi, but I'd rather not go there. I'm not really sure what they are looking for, but anything not-roppongi is welcome.

My wife is basically vegan these days, so there's no issue there.

We went to Eat More Greens in Azabujuban yesterday, and I'd say the atmosphere was good. Beer a little expensive for drinking though. Decent bottles of wine were around 3000 though.

Maybe I mentioned it, but we did the Rainbow Cafe last week, which is vegan raw food in Ebisu. It was amazing (and the beer was organic!)

Zornica

Banned
My wife is basically vegan these days, so there's no issue there.

We went to Eat More Greens in Azabujuban yesterday, and I'd say the atmosphere was good. Beer a little expensive for drinking though. Decent bottles of wine were around 3000 though.

Maybe I mentioned it, but we did the Rainbow Cafe last week, which is vegan raw food in Ebisu. It was amazing (and the beer was organic!)

I've been to eat more greens almost every week back when I worked in moto azabu. the dishes were generally great, but they were lacking in size... would've preferred more food on my plate

never heard of rainbow cafe, but I'll make sure to check it out when I'm back in tokyo. although after tonight, I'm ok with not going to tokyo for a while -_-

why do trains basically stop at midnight? and why are there no 24h netcafes around kawasaki? and why are cabs so expensive?
well, at least I got that experience out of the way early XD

Ayumi

Lost my wallet last night.

It's Japan though, so I'm exepcting to see it again soon. Had at least 2万 in it. Let's see how it goes.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Lost my wallet last night.

It's Japan though, so I'm exepcting to see it again soon. Had at least 2万 in it. Let's see how it goes.

It's Japan, you will have everything back

Hey guys
Can I get any thoughts on Japanese universities? I have access to plenty of info, but I wondered if GAF could enlighten me too.
Next year I'll be studying in Japan for a year, thinking of; Kyoto University, Keio, Waseda and a couple others. (Todai is too expensive for me) Any info of personal experience etc would be nice :)

urfe

Hey guys
Can I get any thoughts on Japanese universities? I have access to plenty of info, but I wondered if GAF could enlighten me too.
Next year I'll be studying in Japan for a year, thinking of; Kyoto University, Keio, Waseda and a couple others. (Todai is too expensive for me) Any info of personal experience etc would be nice :)

I did my MA at Waseda and I can say their Japanese program is good, and I've heard decent things about SILS (where I'm guessing you'd take classes.

I'd say both Keio and Kyodai have better reputations though, but that's only really important if you plan to do shukatsu here, which I guess would be difficult as an exchange student.

Aizo

Banned
Hey guys
I knew a bunch of people in SILS at Waseda while I was at Sophia. They all seemed to like it a lot! The campus is nice, and it's a pretty cool area to be in—really close to Takadanobaba and in an an area which makes getting to other cool spots in Tokyo convenient!

Ohh interesting, I'm somehow drawn to Waseda so it's good to hear some good opinions. I'll either be on SILS, or the IJLP program at Waseda, not certain which.
I heard some issues about Kyoto, that the commute is really long from the dorms, and that the language program isn't great. Haven't heard much about Keio aside from obviously it has a great reputation. I've got until the 28th to decide!

megabadd

Hey guys

I did a semester studying at Waseda Law School, and I loved it. I also took some of the Japanese classes for free with the SILS people, and those classes were the best Japanese classes I've ever had. Waseda has a reputation for being a hippie college, but I thought that was a positive thing. The students were cool and the neighbourhood was central.

I had friends at Keio, they liked their experience but disliked the location. The school's more prestigious that Waseda. Keio's is known more for being about money, so take that for what it's worth.

My advice tho, if Todai is an option and you have any interest in work with Japanese entities, is to do whatever it takes to attend. Otherwise, Waseda would be my choice.

I did a semester studying at Waseda Law School, and I loved it. I also took some of the Japanese classes for free with the SILS people, and those classes were the best Japanese classes I've ever had. Waseda has a reputation for being a hippie college, but I thought that was a positive thing. The students were cool and the neighbourhood was central.

I had friends at Keio, they liked their experience but disliked the location. The school's more prestigious that Waseda. Keio's is known more for being about money, so take that for what it's worth.

My advice tho, if Todai is an option and you have any interest in work with Japanese entities, is to do whatever it takes to attend. Otherwise, Waseda would be my choice.

Thanks
Todai is an option (and actually has more places offered than Waseda), my issue with Todai is that there are very limited places in the university dorms (very inexpensive) which means I may get stuck having to pay for the more expensive private residences (80k+ ypm) - so because there is no guarantee I'll be in the dorm, I can't really afford to risk the cost of the latter.

megabadd

Thanks
Todai is an option (and actually has more places offered than Waseda), my issue with Todai is that there are very limited places in the university dorms (very inexpensive) which means I may get stuck having to pay for the more expensive private residences (80k+ ypm) - so because there is no guarantee I'll be in the dorm, I can't really afford to risk the cost of the latter.

I only push it because a Todai name drop makes most Japanese people lose their ever-loving minds. Of course, you gotta do whatever makes the most sense financially.

I opted to get my own place at Waseda and it ended up being $500/mo, which was a little more than people where paying at the dorms. Not sure how much it is now.

Also, it was the year after the tsunami, so Waseda literally threw money at the intl students who bothered to show up that year.

I only push it because a Todai name drop makes most Japanese people lose their ever-loving minds. Of course, you gotta do whatever makes the most sense financially.

I opted to get my own place at Waseda and it ended up being $500/mo, which was a little more than people where paying at the dorms. Not sure how much it is now.

Also, it was the year after the tsunami, so Waseda literally threw money at the intl students who bothered to show up that year.

Thanks, I've just sent off my declaration of intent (10 universities in order of preference) - I chose (in order); Waseda, Keio, Todai, Kyoto, Hitotsubashi as my top five.

urfe

Where did we get on the nomikai?

The nomihodai menu wasn't the best at the one place? Is that fine (I'd prefer highballs and shuchu included), or is there other suggestions that have some veggie stuff?

I'm going to the place I had mentioned with friends on the 7th, and could always check for veggie stuff?

---

BTW: I have made another thread about it, but I'm thinking about trying to get all the Mother 2 ガチャポン stuff, and now have two Mr Saturn/どせいさん's. I'm giving this one to a friend, but if I get a third, and someone wants to trade, give me 300 yen for it (a rip off I know), let me know!

megabadd

Thanks, I've just sent off my declaration of intent (10 universities in order of preference) - I chose (in order); Waseda, Keio, Todai, Kyoto, Hitotsubashi as my top five.

The fact that you put Waseda above Keio warms the cockles of my heart. Provided you go, you should have a great time!

Kaworu

Hi there guys,

One of my friends from Brazil has a problem with his computer. It's not booting up. It's not doing anything in fact. It's not related to the hdd or the memory because it's not even trying to boot, the fan doesn't start spinning. Can somebody recommend me a place where they can repair it or at least give a look to it?

Thanks!

I live in central Tokyo, so Akiba it's fine for example.

cvxfreak

Hi there guys,

One of my friends from Brazil has a problem with his computer. It's not booting up. It's not doing anything in fact. It's not related to the hdd or the memory because it's not even trying to boot, the fan doesn't start spinning. Can somebody recommend me a place where they can repair it or at least give a look to it?

Thanks!

I live in central Tokyo, so Akiba it's fine for example.

The large electronics stores have computer repair sections, particularly Bic Camera and Sofmap. If it's an Mac, then there are the Apple Stores in Shibuya, Omotesando and Ginza.

RE: Waseda vs. Keio

Go Waseda! I got my Master's there. Was a great experience.

if this is not alright let me know, there is no profit in this for me...

Hey Hey, friend:s line of underground harajuku-style shops is holding a Halloween party that due to circumstances has now become free...

Asked me to invite whoever to it, so letting you guys know.
http://twipla.jp/events/116653

If you want to meet and see the actual sub-culture kids(not the magazine produced events) while listening to remixes of anime game and idol songs, great chance to see them here, normally these kind of event cost 1500~. Aka this is the tokyo of your nerd childhood dreams

At Club edition on http://www.ever-site.com/edition/

Near Aoyoma-itchome / shibuya area from 4 -10 on oct.31st. If you want to come just give me a name(anything is alright) that I can put you on the list for free.

I provide you with pictures of previous events;

The guy on the floor is not me...
B1AjEvtCQAEnf2V.jpg

BymQrEVCcAEOeY3.jpg

Zornica

Banned
Where did we get on the nomikai?

The nomihodai menu wasn't the best at the one place? Is that fine (I'd prefer highballs and shuchu included), or is there other suggestions that have some veggie stuff?

I'm going to the place I had mentioned with friends on the 7th, and could always check for veggie stuff?
[...]

I think we haven't made any progress on that front. so please do, if you get the chance.

if this is not alright let me know, there is no profit in this for me...

Hey Hey, friend:s line of underground harajuku-style shops is holding a Halloween party that due to circumstances has now become free...

Asked me to invite whoever to it, so letting you guys know.
[...]
even though it sounds kinda fun, I think I'm too old for that sorta thing...
also coming off a bad case of クーらー病, I probably shouldn't go out partying for the next few days :7

even though it sounds kinda fun, I think I'm too old for that sorta thing...
also coming off a bad case of クーらー病, I probably shouldn't go out partying for the next few days :7
The age range at this place is crazy. Guy on the floor is in his 40`s.

Ayumi

I think we haven't made any progress on that front. so please do, if you get the chance.

If we'll choose something cheap with lots of food and unlimited drinking, we could go with something generic like 笑笑? I mean, it's good for groups and has a looot of different food. Can't really say I remember their vegetarian friendly food but surely they must have something.

Kaworu

The large electronics stores have computer repair sections, particularly Bic Camera and Sofmap. If it's an Mac, then there are the Apple Stores in Shibuya, Omotesando and Ginza.

But they will repair a computer from a Brazilian brand? It's not just an overseas Vaio or Lenovo it's a Avell...

dani_dc

You know, when no one contacted me about it for a whole day, that's when I realized it must be in my apartment. Haha

I wish my country was that decent, yesterday they had a news on TV about how someone found a wallet and gave it to the police.

To be fair, it did have a fair amount of money in it. But still.

Jachaos

Hey everyone, I have a question about using my phone on a trip.

I'm still far from actually booking my trip (looking to visit next May-June) but I was wondering about what the situation is on that front. I'd visit 2-3 weeks and I checked out the sites in the OP but it was all a bit confusing.

I'm going to get a factory unlocked Sony Xperia Z3 Compact or an iPhone 6 in the coming days (so Micro SIM or Nano SIM depending on the phone, if that matters).

I like to use my phone for Maps, searching for reviews and such a lot while travelling and will be staying at AirBnB places. Are some options out of the question?

Thanks!

Edit: Also, I'm from Montréal, Québec, Canada.
Edit2: Moved my question to the Japan Travel OT.

putarorex

Did they crack down on the Yamanote Halloween train rides? They used to a big thing back in the 90s. I am might be working late tonight and will ride the line. It could be interesting to see gaijin misbehaving, but I don't want to be mistakenly grouped with them in the salaryman costume I will wear to work today (dark blue suit and tie, with maybe a can of beer and some sakiika if it is late enough).

If we'll choose something cheap with lots of food and unlimited drinking, we could go with something generic like 笑笑? I mean, it's good for groups and has a looot of different food. Can't really say I remember their vegetarian friendly food but surely they must have something.

Wara Wara sounds good to me. There's also Tofuro (http://www.tofuro.jp/) which is slightly higher class, but I don't know what their Nomihoudai menu is like and, unless I'm blind, isn't on their site.

But yeah, an izakaya chain sounds good to me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sorry to interrupt the izakaya talk, but I have a quick question.
Does anyone know a good place to sell used manga? I know where to go when I want to get rid of games, but the only place that comes to mind regarding comics is Book Off, which usually has terrible buyback prices on books/comics etc.

Zornica

Banned

well... my trust in japanese food hit rock bottom yesterday after a painfull night of stomach aches thanks to the チキンエキス and シーフードエキス in my tomato sauce. srsly, why is there chicken (and seafood) in sugo? never thought I'd have to check the labels on simple stuff like tomato sauce...

on a more serious note, seems like they got a few things I could eat. I'm not sure about the course menus, are they fixed? Guess I'll be stuffing myself with onion rings and fried potatoes (which I'm fine with).

Does anyone know a good place to sell used manga? I know where to go when I want to get rid of games, but the only place that comes to mind regarding comics is Book Off, which usually has terrible buyback prices on books/comics etc.

didn't mandarake also buy used manga? or do they only buy doujin and H stuff?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
you get next to nothing for your manga in Book Off, the only other option would be Mandarake and i'm not sure how much better they'll be.

oops - should have looked at the post above.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My post bank card wasn't working at ATMs today. Anyone else have that problem?

Were you able to read what the message was? Since usually it will tell you what the issue is and or if the ATM service itself is not functioning due to holidays or whatnots, which does happen on occasion.

Insane I know considering holidays is when folks need to use the damned things the most.

Pretty much you dont have all that much of a choice, since places like that isnt really about making money when it comes to selling manga. More like people can unload books they dont want and get something small in return like train fee or lunch money lol.

Smaller stores are not any better since they dont have as much traffic as places like book off. Other locations are just so far out of the way you are wasting money going there just to sell them.

Desmond

Were you able to read what the message was? Since usually it will tell you what the issue is and or if the ATM service itself is not functioning due to holidays or whatnots, which does happen on occasion.

Insane I know considering holidays is when folks need to use the damned things the most.

Pretty much you dont have all that much of a choice, since places like that isnt really about making money when it comes to selling manga. More like people can unload books they dont want and get something small in return like train fee or lunch money lol.

Smaller stores are not any better since they dont have as much traffic as places like book off. Other locations are just so far out of the way you are wasting money going there just to sell them.
It just said something like my card can't be used at this time, or something.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It just said something like my card can't be used at this time, or something.

Hmm thats odd. Foreign card? Since sometimes in the US if you have $$$ going into your account or something like that there will be times when it doesnt work due to that.

Top Bottom