• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
9 to 6, no overtime. Sucks for my coworkers, but I'm just not willing to stay at the company any longer.

urfe

I'm the only one on team 7 1/2 hours I see. 9 - 5:30 for me. Overtime until 11 or later happens a few times a year though.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
What time do people want to start/finish work? I finish work fairly early (5:30), am fine with later.

depends on "stuff"

yesterday was 8-23:45
today is 7:45 - godknows when :/

let me know where you end up ending - i may try swinging by on my way home

Zornica

Banned
How about we start the festivities on Friday at 7pm? We could meet at Hachiko at 6:50pm. What do you think?

according to googles route planer, I'd arrive at either 6:50 or 6:57 depending on what train I can catch. It's still going to be a close call but I should be able to make it in time.

hachiko might be a tough meeting spot though, as everybody else meets there as well. I usually use the 渋谷駅前交番 as a meeting spot. It's usually easier to spot people because there's no one else around ;) It's also just a few steps from hachiko
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E6%B8%8B%E8%B0%B7%E9%A7%85%E5%89%8D%E4%BA%A4%E7%95%AA/@35.6590902,139.70078,20z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x544794ebbf9d3132
via streetview: https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@35.6592173,139.7009844,3a,66.1y,348.25h,70.63t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sXw0CRa4jrHsAAAQXR3OpTQ!2e0!3e11

what do you think?

Theodran

Happy Pocky day!

Did you have a magical moment at 11:11? My morning meeting stopped for a full minute as we celebrated the peak of the day. The meeting resumed at precisely 11:12.

Zornica

Banned
Today is Pocky Day, everyone! Happy pocking!

For some, it might also be 勃起 day... to those people and everybody else, I recommend this thread. http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2138557454465890301

Happy Pocky day!

Did you have a magical moment at 11:11? My morning meeting stopped for a full minute as we celebrated the peak of the day. The meeting resumed at precisely 11:12.

can somebody please explain to me what "pocky day" is supposed to be?
It came up a few days ago during class but I'm still confused...
dat thread though...

Really don't mean to sound rude, but why don't people on GAF ever Google simple stuff before asking? I guess it's your way of trying to have conversations?
[...]
well, I did, but I couldn't believe that it's actually related to those snacks that kept popping up.
seemed kinda strange to me, as the only association I got with November 11th is the start of the middle-european Carnival season at 11:11 am. I thought it might have been something japan could have adopted years ago. But being japan I should've known it had to be something more "commercial".
thanks anyway, at least now I know for sure

Ayumi

can somebody please explain to me what "pocky day" is supposed to be?
It came up a few days ago during class but I'm still confused...
dat thread though...

Really don't mean to sound rude, but why don't people on GAF ever Google simple stuff before asking? I guess it's your way of trying to have conversations?

Btw, "Pocky Day" sounds like "Weeaboo Day".

Here's a detailed article that will answer your question.

http://www.tofugu.com/2010/11/11/what-is-pocky-day-11-11/

I'm guessing the date numbers look like Pocky too.

Ayumi

How do you come tothat conclusion?

Haha, I'm just poking fun at Pocky fans.

Also,

ポッキー&プリッツの日
江崎グリコが1999年(平成11年)11月11日に制定。「1111」が4本のポッキーあるいはプリッツに見えることに由来。以後、毎年キャンペーンを実施している。

Pocky Day is not really that broad in Japan. It's mostly "celebrated" by anime otaku/fans and artists. Most foreigners only know of Pocky Day due to the very popular ポッキーの日 tag on pixiv (which has many great illustrations).

according to googles route planer, I'd arrive at either 6:50 or 6:57 depending on what train I can catch. It's still going to be a close call but I should be able to make it in time.

hachiko might be a tough meeting spot though, as everybody else meets there as well. I usually use the 渋谷駅前交番 as a meeting spot. It's usually easier to spot people because there's no one else around ;) It's also just a few steps from hachiko
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/%E6%B8%8B%E8%B0%B7%E9%A7%85%E5%89%8D%E4%BA%A4%E7%95%AA/@35.6590902,139.70078,20z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x544794ebbf9d3132
via streetview: https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@35.6592173,139.7009844,3a,66.1y,348.25h,70.63t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1sXw0CRa4jrHsAAAQXR3OpTQ!2e0!3e11

what do you think?
Sure, that's fine with me.

I move to offcially change the meeting place to the Shibuya Koban. All in favor, say "Aye".

Aye.

Theodran

ポッキー&プリッツの日
江崎グリコが1999年(平成11年)11月11日に制定。「1111」が4本のポッキーあるいはプリッツに見えることに由来。以後、毎年キャンペーンを実施している。

Pocky Day is not really that broad in Japan. It's mostly "celebrated" by anime otaku/fans and artists. Most foreigners only know of Pocky Day due to the very popular ポッキーの日 tag on pixiv (which has many great illustrations).

I had no idea it was popular among otaku since I'm not big on that thing. I just bought in on the marketing hype, I guess. Even bought a box of Pretz on the way home today!

Although, the one who brought it up on the meeting today was a foreigner and not one of my Japanese collegues...

Ayumi

I had no idea it was popular among otaku since I'm not big on that thing. I just bought in on the marketing hype, I guess. Even bought a box of Pretz on the way home today!

Although, the one who brought it up on the meeting today was a foreigner and not one of my Japanese collegues...

Well, I just see it mentioned a lot on Twitter by people who link to shit websites like Kotaku etc. Imo I don't understand the hype at all - pocky does not taste particularly good. It's not bad but it's extremely bland.. Maybe people just like it a lot because it reminds them of Japan and it makes them want to come back. Each to their own!

Theodran

Well, I just see it mentioned a lot on Twitter by people who link to shit websites like Kotaku etc. Imo I don't understand the hype at all - pocky does not taste particularly good. It's not bad but it's extremely bland.. Maybe people just like it a lot because it reminds them of Japan and it makes them want to come back. Each to their own!

I'm not a huge fan of Pocky, which is why I bought Pretz instead. But I see where you are coming from.

m3r4

The Almond Pockies are really good! Too expensive, though.

Oh, just a personal preference: Pocky Day is more fun than other stupid fabricated "event days".

OK, reservation has been made! We can stay up to 2 hours from 7pm. I didn't do any courses or anything so we can decide when we're there, but I think a nomihodai would be in order. And as luck would have it I just noticed there's a coupon this month for a 2 hour beer included nomihodai for 1500yen!
J000006017_hpp038.gif

Just to reiterate, we're meeting at the Koban near Hachiko at 6:50pm (this Friday, just to be clear :).

And we'll be taking this route to Kin No Kura Jipangu (ジパング): https://goo.gl/maps/DUr1I

If you're going directly to the restaurant, be careful! There are a couple Kin no Kuras around. We're going to this one.

People attending:

ElectricKaibutsu (+1)
Urfe
megabadd (+1)
Ayumi
putarorex
Gromph
MightyKAC
Zornica

If you're not on the list and want to come, I'm sure we can still squeeze people in.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The name of the place is in fact Kin no Kura Jipangu (ジパング) NOT Jr.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i am a remote outsider to join - may just pop in to say hi on my way home.

This week has been brutal :/

stryke

ok so as I understand it, it's not very economical to prepurchase a JR pass as I'm only going to spend 1 week in Tokyo for my Japan trip and should rely on Suica cards instead?

JulianImp

I might end up joining you guys. Would I have to pay for the nomihodai, or can I just go with other stuff instead to keep my budget in check (since I don't drink, anyway)?

urfe

I might end up joining you guys. Would I have to pay for the nomihodai, or can I just go with other stuff instead to keep my budget in check (since I don't drink, anyway)?

Pretty sure most places make everyone pay for nomihodai if some are having it.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh, that's a real shame... I definitely wouldn't want to pay ¥1,500 just for drinks. Looks like I've been unlucky with all the JapanGAF meet ups so far.

Why Unlucky?

I don't drink either.

JulianImp

Since I've already missed two meet ups at around the time of the TGS, and now this one since I can't afford to pay that much for drinks alone.

Having extended my stay in Japan to the full three months allowed by my tourist visa means my budget's kind of tight by now, so I've got to be somewhat careful about what I spend it on.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Since I've already missed two meet ups at around the time of the TGS, and now this one since I can't afford to pay that much for drinks alone.

Having extended my stay in Japan to the full three months allowed by my tourist visa means my budget's kind of tight by now, so I've got to be somewhat careful about what I spend it on.
Man is only ¥1500 .... don't worry i will pay it for you.

urfe

Any idea if the nomihodai requires a minimum of courses bought per person?

Just no one feels like there's hidden costs I thought I'd bring it up.

Gacha-pin

The Almond Pockies are really good! Too expensive, though.

Oh, just a personal preference: Pocky Day is more fun than other stupid fabricated "event days".

If I remember correctly, it got a smaller box and was cheaper than the standard pocky (red one).

アーモンドポッキー、小さいとき大好きだった。たぶん販売終了してから15年以上は経ってると思うけどm3r4はそんなに長い間日本にいるの?

ク~ッ、思い出したら無性に食べたくなってきた。再販してくれないかな。

m3r4

If I remember correctly, it got a smaller box and was cheaper than the standard pocky (red one).

アーモンドポッキー、小さいとき大好きだった。たぶん販売終了してから15年以上は経ってると思うけどm3r4はそんなに長い間日本にいるの?

ク~ッ、思い出したら無性に食べたくなってきた。再販してくれないかな。

あれ、僕の勘違いか?ツブツブアーモンドが入ってる種類は今も普通にコンビニで売ってると思ったけど…今度探してみよう。

ちなみに、15年前はまだ一切日本に関わってなかった笑
まあ、ドラゴンボールとセーラームーンぐらいかな。あと「ガンバレ!キッカーズ!」…やべぇ懐かしくなってきちゃった( ;∀;)

Stuff like same packaging for the same price but with decreased volume really grinds my gears...

Thanks!

Dude, I'll PayPal you the money. It's $12 USD! Go to the meetup! Wish I was there in time to join in.

Top Bottom