• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would any of you in Japan at the moment mind going to this link, buying the code and PM'ing it to me? It's a 0 yen purchase on Amazon for a code that can be redeemed for the demo of the new Pokémon game, but unfortunately Amazon.co.jp has the checkout page IP-locked for this product. I don't want to enter my Amazon information when using some random proxy...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OT5NT50/

Would greatly appreciate it!

Gacha-pin

Would any of you in Japan at the moment mind going to this link, buying the code and PM'ing it to me? It's a 0 yen purchase on Amazon for a code that can be redeemed for the demo of the new Pokémon game, but unfortunately Amazon.co.jp has the checkout page IP-locked for this product. I don't want to enter my Amazon information when using some random proxy...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00OT5NT50/

Would greatly appreciate it!

Here you are.

日本人としてはたぶん超希少な部類だろうけど今回生まれて初めて任天堂の関連商品買った\(^o^)/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here you are.

Gacha-pinさん、どうもありがとう!助かりました!

確かに日本人のゲーム好きとして、任天堂の商品を今まで買ったことがなかったのは珍しいかもですね。

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Here you are.

日本人失格。

Hand in your Japanese card.
:p

Ayumi

Guys, just a reminder that Gromph asked us to write a translation in English in the same post if you use Japanese.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, just a reminder that Gromph asked us to write a translation in English in the same post if you use Japanese.

Really? I guess I'll just not post in Japanese, then.

Ayumi

Really? I guess I'll just not post in Japanese, then.

You can post in Japanese.. but he wants everyone to write the same in English too, which is understandable since not everyone here understands Japanese. Wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, right? I personally don't see the issue with it.

stryke

So my parents suddenly sprung the idea on me that we should go to Japan for a week (not enough I know). I don't doubt that I can spend the whole week in Tokyo with enough to do but is that the best idea? Should I at least check out another city?

Ayumi

So my parents suddenly sprung the idea on me that we should go to Japan for a week (not enough I know). I don't doubt that I can spend the whole week in Tokyo with enough to do but is that the best idea? Should I at least check out another city?

What are the odds of you going back to Japan? If you think that you won't be able to visit again for a long time, I say you should check out another city, maybe. It's quick, cheap and fun! I think we've got some Gaffers in Osaka and Kyoto if you wanna meet them.

urfe

You can post in Japanese.. but he wants everyone to write the same in English too, which is understandable since not everyone here understands Japanese. Wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, right? I personally don't see the issue with it.

It feels like a waste of time to have to write the same thing twice, and if everyone understands English, there doesn't seem much point in writing in Japanese, at least from my perspective.

I agree it's not nice to exclude anyone, which I why I'll go English only.

Ayumi

It feels like a waste of time to have to write the same thing twice, and if everyone understands English, there doesn't seem much point in writing in Japanese, at least from my perspective.

Probably. I understand you! But they weren't my words so I was just repeating it so people won't get in trouble/get yelled at or whatever. ; ~ ;

Would you count staying for 3 months "living there"? I will be arriving within a few weeks, I believe, after my business in China concludes.

What's the visa situation? Can I just show up as a tourist, or do I need to get pre-approved like in China and 'Nam?

Would you count staying for 3 months "living there"? I will be arriving within a few weeks, I believe, after my business in China concludes.

What's the visa situation? Can I just show up as a tourist, or do I need to get pre-approved like in China and 'Nam?

What country are you from? And 3 months as in 90 days or more than 90 days?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got into Waseda!!!!
:) So happy!

Very cool! Is it a shorter term study abroad program or did you enter the university proper for the full four years?

Either way, you're in for a fun and exciting time!

Koriandrr

Hey guys. I'm curious about your experience in working with Japanese people in Japanese environment. Pure personal curiosity.

Would anyone care to describe their experience and cultural shock in the working environment? Not to be picky and greedy, but it would be awesome if someone outside teaching can share their experience too :)

Thanks in advance!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hey guys. I'm curious about your experience in working with Japanese people in Japanese environment. Pure personal curiosity.

Would anyone care to describe their experience and cultural shock in the working environment? Not to be picky and greedy, but it would be awesome if someone outside teaching can share their experience too :)

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure many of us could write a book on the topic of corporate Japan culture. Is there something more specific you want to know.

Koriandrr

I'm sure many of us could write a book on the topic of corporate Japan culture. Is there something more specific you want to know.

Oh wow. Well I would pay money to read that book! :D

Communication differences for starters. I've read on a blog from an American teacher in Japan that people literally will not tell you anything and expect you to somehow read their mind. How true is that?

thenexus6

I just got back from my fifth (I think) japanese lesson. Going pretty well so far I guess..

My teacher grabbed me a copy of Genki, apparently its a very good resource for learning the language. Looking forward to jumping into it.

036yeDG.jpg

urfe

Communication differences for starters. I've read on a blog from an American teacher in Japan that people literally will not tell you anything and expect you to somehow read their mind. How true is that?

That sounds like someone frustrated with cultural differences.

... and also a reflection of the ALT system in Japan which shouldn't be mistaken for a microcosm of Japanese business culture.

I just got back from my fifth (I think) japanese lesson. Going pretty well so far I guess..

My teacher grabbed me a copy of Genki, apparently its a very good resource for learning the language. Looking forward to jumping into it.

036yeDG.jpg

That's the book my class uses. A little over halfway through it so far, actually I have an exam on lesson 7 in about an hour and a half.

Jijidasu

Bit of a story for you JGAF and I need some advice: I just "temporarily" left my position as head teacher at the international middle/high school where I worked on basis of mental health (I'm not very well) and have the opportunity to return next year when/if I feel better and capable.

I'm looking to get some freelance translation work done from home to bring in a bit of a cash. Has anyone attempted this kind of thing? Any tips or sites to visit?

I'm not at the desperate stage yet but I'd like to avoid that if possible, and for my sanity knowing I have some kind of income.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Not true at all in my experience. Japanese as a language is very context sensitive, and a certain level of knowledge of the culture and how things are done is definitely necessary to effectively get by in a Japanese company, but you'll have that knowledge if you're fluent in Japanese, which is what you'll want to be assuming you're working in a Japanese environment.

Koriandrr

Not true at all in my experience. Japanese as a language is very context sensitive, and a certain level of knowledge of the culture and how things are done is definitely necessary to effectively get by in a Japanese company, but you'll have that knowledge if you're fluent in Japanese, which is what you'll want to be assuming you're working in a Japanese environment.

That sounds like someone frustrated with cultural differences.

... and also a reflection of the ALT system in Japan which shouldn't be mistaken for a microcosm of Japanese business culture.

And this is why I'm asking here :D
Thanks a lot for the info!

What then would you say is the most challenging office environment difference that you had to adjust to?

Ayumi

I'm looking to get some freelance translation work done from home to bring in a bit of a cash. Has anyone attempted this kind of thing? Any tips or sites to visit?

I'm not at the desperate stage yet but I'd like to avoid that if possible, and for my sanity knowing I have some kind of income.
Since I don't know your level of Japanese, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's at least N2 if you want to get paid to translate. If it is that good or better, I would suggest trying interpretation work. It's basically just a person who shows up to meetings/events and translates what a person is saying into English, and receive questions to translate back, etc.

There are loooots of people who need a translator/interpretor. Most of them will pay shit. However, if you find a company/people who actually pay what you're supposed to get, you can earn quite well if they book you for more than an hour. This all require you to go to places and events though, I don't know how that will be with your mental health?

If you want to work from home, the pay will be pretty bad and the work is long and tedious, to be honest. People normally pay you per words you translate this way. But it's doable, just not for survival money, I think. There are people who hire remotely though. If they give you a deadline and an agreed pay to complete, it's much easier to earn money. Some are super desperate and need work done right away, so they might pay more than normal. Check out freelancer.com - lots of people who need JP <-> EN help! You can also use the site for many other things, like designing logos and websites for other people. Those sometimes pay quite well. Make sure you build up a nice profile (I suggest using a fake female name + pic to get more jobs, haha. Crazy, but it works.)

Jijidasu

Since I don't know your level of Japanese, I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's at least N2 if you want to get paid to translate. If it is that good or better, I would suggest trying interpretation work. It's basically just a person who shows up to meetings/events and translates what a person is saying into English, and receive questions to translate back, etc.

There are loooots of people who need a translator/interpretor. Most of them will pay shit. However, if you find a company/people who actually pay what you're supposed to get, you can earn quite well if they book you for more than an hour. This all require you to go to places and events though, I don't know how that will be with your mental health?

If you want to work from home, the pay will be pretty bad and the work is long and tedious, to be honest. People normally pay you per words you translate this way. But it's doable, just not for survival money, I think. There are people who hire remotely though. If they give you a deadline and an agreed pay to complete, it's much easier to earn money. Some are super desperate and need work done right away, so they might pay more than normal. Check out freelancer.com - lots of people who need JP <-> EN help! You can also use the site for many other things, like designing logos and websites for other people. Those sometimes pay quite well. Make sure you build up a nice profile (I suggest using a fake female name + pic to get more jobs, haha. Crazy, but it works.)

Thanks for the information. I'm N1 and &#28310;2&#32026; in kanken. Interpretation I've done quite a bit of for work in the past, and I enjoy it however yes, not sure how I'd deal with the fatigue. I was thinking more along the lines of written translation, but I will definitely keep an eye on that website.

I'm actually an artist by 'trade', so anything with art makes my ears perk up!

Bit of a story for you JGAF and I need some advice:&#12288;I just "temporarily" left my position as head teacher at the international middle/high school where I worked on basis of mental health (I'm not very well) and have the opportunity to return next year when/if I feel better and capable.

You could try Gengo.com. If you score well on their test you make more money.

(Sorry I'm purposely double posting)

So! The get together next week! In the end I think a simple chain izakaya would be best, like Wara Wara as Ayumi suggested.

The best part is that they are everywhere, so we can go wherever is most convenient for everyone. So what do think? Shibuya? Shinjuku? Ginza?

m3r4

Could you please avoid Wara Wara? The parent company Monteroza is shady as FUCK. Try Hanbey instead (although I'm not sure that one's any better...)!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

I just did as a gently reminder as not everyone in this thread speaks japanese.

I don't have any problem with the Japanese only, but I'm not the only person in this thread.

PS: I will not ban anyone if they write only in Japanese. :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Could you please avoid Wara Wara? The parent company Monteroza is shady as FUCK. Try Hanbey instead (although I'm not sure that one's any better...)!

truthfully who cares. you wouldnt be able to step outside if you really knew who was connected to what.

dont worry about things that have no direct impact on you. live longer with less stress that way. :)

urfe

I just did as a gently reminder as not everyone in this thread speaks japanese.

I don't have any problem with the Japanese only, but I'm not the only person in this thread.

PS: I will not ban anyone if they write only in Japanese. :)

I agree that it's exclusionary and unfair. Apologies if I came across a little rough.

----

I like &#40644;&#37329;&#12398;&#34101; because it's cheap, but I'm down for anywhere. Sometimes chain places have 500 yen beers though, and that is quite steep.

I prefer Tokyo/Yurakcho/Ginza or Shinjuku.
Takadanobaba most preferable, but that's prob being a little selfish.

Shall we make a list of who is wanting to come?

Perhaps if we don't it'll be a lot of "sounds cool" followed by "actually can't be asked to go".

I'm interested in going.

I agree that it's exclusionary and unfair. Apologies if I came across a little rough.

----

I like &#40644;&#37329;&#12398;&#34101; because it's cheap, but I'm down for anywhere. Sometimes chain places have 500 yen beers though, and that is quite steep.

I prefer Tokyo/Yurakcho/Ginza or Shinjuku.
Takadanobaba most preferable, but that's prob being a little selfish.

Shall we make a list of who is wanting to come?

Perhaps if we don't it'll be a lot of "sounds cool" followed by "actually can't be asked to go".

I'm interested in going.
Good idea, let's start that list:

ElectricKaibutsu
Urfe

*Quote and add your name if you're going

Ayumi

truthfully who cares. you wouldnt be able to step outside if you really knew who was connected to what.

dont worry about things that have no direct impact on you. live longer with less stress that way. :)
As long as Wara Wara itself is not a black company (to avoid potential confusion: this is a term &#12502;&#12521;&#12483;&#12463;&#20225;&#26989; and has nothing to do with skin color) then does it really matter?

ElectricKaibutsu
Urfe

I'm probably in. I say "probably" because tbh I'm always a little scared meeting people from the internet.. And would feel safe with more people than just a handful.

-----

Also here is a list over some known black companies that might surprise you:
TGI Friday
Watami
Tokyu Hands
Ohsho
Sun Challenge

Also heard Uniqlo should be on the list.

Watami is by far the worst ever.

putarorex

ElectricKaibutsu
Urfe

You can add me if this is still going to be next Friday.

Also for Jijidasu, try to find a translation trade magazine at a big bookstore. I can't remember the name but one I checked some time back had a list of translation agencies with contact information. Rates were fair, especially if you have some knowledge in higher paying areas (finance, business, medicine, semiconductors). There is also proz.com but rates weren't so good. This info is probably a bit outdated though since I haven't freelanced in 8 years or so (I work in house now).

m3r4

As long as Wara Wara itself is not a black company (to avoid potential confusion: this is a term &#12502;&#12521;&#12483;&#12463;&#20225;&#26989; and has nothing to do with skin color) then does it really matter?

Also here is a list over some known black companies that might surprise you:
TGI Friday
Watami
Tokyu Hands
Ohsho
Sun Challenge

Also heard Uniqlo should be on the list.

Watami is by far the worst ever.

I have been avoiding all of those including Uniqlo. Things tend to be a bit more expensive, but... I guess you get what you pay for.

Jijidasu

You can add me if this is still going to be next Friday.

Also for Jijidasu, try to find a translation trade magazine at a big bookstore. I can't remember the name but one I checked some time back had a list of translation agencies with contact information. Rates were fair, especially if you have some knowledge in higher paying areas (finance, business, medicine, semiconductors). There is also proz.com but rates weren't so good. This info is probably a bit outdated though since I haven't freelanced in 8 years or so (I work in house now).

Thanks for the information. I'm going to check out some local agencies my partner knows of and see how that goes. I should get a call tomorrow from one of them I sent my information in to today!

Top Bottom