• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

too bad I missed the raffle :/
But I'm sure there's going to be another chance within the next 13 years.
I wonder if they'll be able to finish the hokkaido shinkansen before the maglev.
(yeah, probably not...)
Don't worry, you'll be able to try in 2019 and 2020 when everyone's busy going すごい over the Olympics.

btw, as it is really getting cold lately, I could use a new coat. My attempts to buy one have failed so far. (mostly due to size issues - I'm about 1,90)
any idea where I'd have to go for a nice selection of coats and jackets in my size?
is the Japanese H&M comparable with the European one in terms of product range?

From what I've seen, most H&M stores carry the same items worldwide during seasons. H&M is great! I'm not as tall as you but I'm almost 5'10" so a lot of my clothes come from there. The sizes are the same worldwide and H&M doesn't seem to "favor" small sizes because of all the short Asians. It's also very reasonable! They often have sales that make things extremely cheap. You can browse the JP collection on web before you decide to visit the store, if you want. http://www.hm.com/jp/department/MEN

Another place I would suggest is Uniqlo. I read that it's considered a black company by some people, but if that doesn't bother you, check it out. It's a lot like H&M - good clothes for a fair price. International sizes and very tall-friendly.

Kadux

Neo Member
What are the job opportunities for someone with 2 BAs (Law and Asian studies), an intermediate level of japanese and mandarin and native level of french, english and portuguese? Already lived a year in tokyo when I did my exchange in Waseda and I'm curious if I could get a job there based on this. Japan won't let me forget him...

Ayumi

What are the job opportunities for someone with 2 BAs (Law and Asian studies), an intermediate level of japanese and mandarin and native level of french, english and portuguese? Already lived a year in tokyo when I did my exchange in Waseda and I'm curious if I could get a job there based on this. Japan won't let me forget him...
Given you'd be able to handle Japanese companies, I'd say it sounds good? But what exactly can you/do you want to do? Having a BA is necessary for a working visa but doesn't even matter if you have no experience/skills in jobs that would require less than business level of Japanese. Unless you have some great skills (web design, engineering, ++) you might be stuck with teaching. Check out job examples on Gaijinpot to see if you qualify for some of the jobs. They should give you an idea on what jobs are available to foreigners.

Futaba

i always venture back ti thus thread a dat after meet ups, no fair.
ah well, have to go sort out paperwork for my car anyway

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Try poke through recruiter sites such as Robert Walters
http://www.robertwalters.co.jp/en/

Daijob
https://www.daijob.com/en/

there are others out there too.

Kadux

Neo Member
Given you'd be able to handle Japanese companies, I'd say it sounds good? But what exactly can you/do you want to do? Having a BA is necessary for a working visa but doesn't even matter if you have no experience/skills in jobs that would require less than business level of Japanese. Unless you have some great skills (web design, engineering, ++) you might be stuck with teaching. Check out job examples on Gaijinpot to see if you qualify for some of the jobs. They should give you an idea on what jobs are available to foreigners.

That's the thing. I don't have a particular skill. I haven't graduated law school yet and teach part-time. I'm not too interested in the teaching gig there since I already do it here, although I wouldn't mind it if it was just a passage to something else eventually. I guess what I would like to do would be acting as a liaison between companies/governments providing legal counsel about european law and/or intelectual property (the things that interest me the most). Doesn't sound that easy to get something like that though...

megabadd

That's the thing. I don't have a particular skill. I haven't graduated law school yet and teach part-time. I'm not too interested in the teaching gig there since I already do it here, although I wouldn't mind it if it was just a passage to something else eventually. I guess what I would like to do would be acting as a liaison between companies/governments providing legal counsel about european law and/or intelectual property (the things that interest me the most). Doesn't sound that easy to get something like that though...

If you have the time, I suggest that you graduate from law school and then come over. There's a ridiculous demand for expat attorneys in Tokyo.

Kadux

Neo Member
If you have the time, I suggest that you graduate from law school and then come over. There's a ridiculous demand for expat attorneys in Tokyo.

The thing is, in my country, passing the bar exam isn't just passing an exam. It's an ongoing process that takes up to 3 years on average. It's quite the ordeal! That would postpone my goal for a solid 5/6 years. I'm not that interested in trying to be a lawyer because of that.

First, upon passing an exam you become a "junior attorney" for a period of 2 years. During those 2 years you must pass additional exams and receive a positive feedback from a quorum of attorneys to become an "attorney". Failing even one of those exams will put you back at the beginning of it all, once again. Fucking brutal.

Zornica

Banned
Don't worry, you'll be able to try in 2019 and 2020 when everyone's busy going すごい over the Olympics.

From what I've seen, most H&M stores carry the same items worldwide during seasons. H&M is great! I'm not as tall as you but I'm almost 5'10" so a lot of my clothes come from there. The sizes are the same worldwide and H&M doesn't seem to "favor" small sizes because of all the short Asians. It's also very reasonable! They often have sales that make things extremely cheap. You can browse the JP collection on web before you decide to visit the store, if you want. http://www.hm.com/jp/department/MEN

Another place I would suggest is Uniqlo. I read that it's considered a black company by some people, but if that doesn't bother you, check it out. It's a lot like H&M - good clothes for a fair price. International sizes and very tall-friendly.

yeah, I was considering going to Uniqlo at first, because I could also get H&M stuff back at home, so it wouldn't be anything special anymore. But all the black company talk lately made me reconsider. I'd rather pay more if that results in better treatment for employees. Regarding Uniqlo, is it actually true or just a rumour?

anyway, I went to the nearest H&M in Minatomirai, located inside the most off-putting mall I've ever been to. I don't know if anyone of you has ever been there, but that place lacks a soul. It felt like shopping inside a clean-room.
well at least I was able to get a 30% discount on my jacket!

Ayumi

yeah, I was considering going to Uniqlo at first, because I could also get H&M stuff back at home, so it wouldn't be anything special anymore. But all the black company talk lately made me reconsider. I'd rather pay more if that results in better treatment for employees. Regarding Uniqlo, is it actually true or just a rumour?

anyway, I went to the nearest H&M in Minatomirai, located inside the most off-putting mall I've ever been to. I don't know if anyone of you has ever been there, but that place lacks a soul. It felt like shopping inside a clean-room.
well at least I was able to get a 30% discount on my jacket!
Never been to the one in Minato Mirai.. the good ones (that I've been to) are the one in central Shibuya and the one in Jingumae Harajuku. They're both huge, clean and nice staff/clothes. Very easy to browse.

Regarding Uniqlo, it's mostly just a rumour, I believe. And it's more about their parent companies as well. A lot of companies can be picked on regarding bad salary and "temporary work".. doesn't make them a black company though.

Booked my ticket and place from Sakura House, so I'm committed to staying in Tokyo at least from Nov. 25 to December 27. I may extend the stay in Tokyo, bounce around Japan, or go back to Bangkok at the end of the year. Who knows?

Any GAF meetups planned during December? Do you guys go home to the states to visit or stay in Japan for the holidays?

Ayumi

Booked my ticket and place from Sakura House, so I'm committed to staying in Tokyo at least from Nov. 25 to December 27. I may extend the stay in Tokyo, bounce around Japan, or go back to Bangkok at the end of the year. Who knows?

Any GAF meetups planned during December? Do you guys go home to the states to visit or stay in Japan for the holidays?

From what I saw in the travel thread, I think a lot of them are actually coming to Japan during December.

Speaking of which... maybe we should have a list in the OP with dates and usernames and whenever they're going to be in Japan? Could be easy for meetups and such.

From what I saw in the travel thread, I think a lot of them are actually coming to Japan during December.

Speaking of which... maybe we should have a list in the OP with dates and usernames and whenever they're going to be in Japan? Could be easy for meetups and such.

Thanks. I should probably be in that thread, instead...

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Hey guys - I've noticed at venues like football stadia etc the good seats are 'S' and the worse seats are 'R'. Anyone know what that's about? Why 'S' and 'R'? My guess was special and regular or something, but wondering if anyone knows. Or is it to do with standing vs seated?

Zornica

Banned
the new smash is being released on Dec. 6th and features up to 8 players locally, right?

I was wondering if there is some kind of facility somewhere in Tokyo where we could host some sort of smash bros launch event. I think something like that was mentioned during the last meetup up but I can't recall it going anywhere. Maybe it would be worth looking into?

also fuck exchange rates -_- bleeding money by the minute, and I was hoping that the rate would go down again after abe resigned...

megabadd

the new smash is being released on Dec. 6th and features up to 8 players locally, right?

I was wondering if there is some kind of facility somewhere in Tokyo where we could host some sort of smash bros launch event. I think something like that was mentioned during the last meetup up but I can't recall it going anywhere. Maybe it would be worth looking into?

also fuck exchange rates -_- bleeding money by the minute, and I was hoping that the rate would go down again after abe resigned...

I could probably have a Smash Bros event at mine. I haven't reserved the game or the GC controller converter yet, but provided I can get my hands on those on the 6th.

Sorry to hear about the exchange rate. I get paid in USD, so the exchange has been working nicely for me lately.

I could probably have a Smash Bros event at mine. I haven't reserved the game or the GC controller converter yet, but provided I can get my hands on those on the 6th.

Sorry to hear about the exchange rate. I get paid in USD, so the exchange has been working nicely for me lately.

Hmm, I get paid in USD in a US bank account. Will I be doing well, then?

Then again, I have a bunch of cash on hand, some in USD and some in Chinese Yuan. I will probably be changing a lot of it into yen for my stay there. Am I receiving the benefit of exchange rates? I really don't understand this stuff...

urfe

People in uni wanting to work in Japan I would recommend looking into what 就職活動 is, and try to come over for a semester in your third or fourth year.

megabadd

Hmm, I get paid in USD in a US bank account. Will I be doing well, then?

Then again, I have a bunch of cash on hand, some in USD and some in Chinese Yuan. I will probably be changing a lot of it into yen for my stay there. Am I receiving the benefit of exchange rates? I really don't understand this stuff...

If you get paid in USD, you will do very well here. When I came to Japan, the yen was about 80 to 1 USD, now it's 118 to 1 USD. To put that in context, prices didn't change so my purchasing power has gone up about 30% in the course of 2 years.

Provided you can get a good exchange rate, or have a credit card that you pay back in USD and won't charge you foreign transaction fees, now's a great time to use USD in Japan.

megabadd

I heard Smash is out in the USA today -- if someone downloads it from the eShop, I can offer my place up this weekend. I have 4 controllers (Wii tab, Wii U classic, Wii Classic and Wiimote plus nunchuk).

If you get paid in USD, you will do very well here. When I came to Japan, the yen was about 80 to 1 USD, now it's 118 to 1 USD. To put that in context, prices didn't change so my purchasing power has gone up about 30% in the course of 2 years.

Provided you can get a good exchange rate, or have a credit card that you pay back in USD and won't charge you foreign transaction fees, now's a great time to use USD in Japan.

Awesome.

I have enough cash on hand in USD to last me a few months, so I should be good. Thanks!

Zornica

Banned
I heard Smash is out in the USA today -- if someone downloads it from the eShop, I can offer my place up this weekend. I have 4 controllers (Wii tab, Wii U classic, Wii Classic and Wiimote plus nunchuk).

thanks for your kind offer.
too bad I'm going leaf watching this weekend -_- well, it's only once a year, right?
But we should definitely look into this, I haven't played smash with a group since 2001.

[...]

well.. it wasn't about the money I "earn", as I get "paid" in EUR, it's more about the cash I got right here, right now, which is in yen obviously. Last week I sent myself a huge sum of money when the euro was worth 142 yen... in a matter of days it jumped up to 147. today we are at 148. Lost like 20 to 30k yen the last week alone. should've waited... ugh

megabadd

thanks for your kind offer.
too bad I'm going leaf watching this weekend -_- well, it's only once a year, right?
But we should definitely look into this, I haven't played smash with a group since 2001.

well.. it wasn't about the money I "earn", as I get "paid" in EUR, it's more about the cash I got right here, right now, which is in yen obviously. Last week I sent myself a huge sum of money when the euro was worth 142 yen... in a matter of days it jumped up to 147. today we are at 148. Lost like 20 to 30k yen the last week alone. should've waited... ugh

Haha, can't overthink it, it's going either up or down everyday.

JulianImp

So, I'm currently looking into places where I could study game design and/or programming in Japan, and my internet searches so far have mostly mentioned HAL, so I've contacted them asking for some information brochures as well as reserving a spot on a school tour on the final days of my stay in Tokyo. Still, if anyone knows about any additional institutions that'd offer a university-level degree in videogame-related fields, I'd really appreciate it so that I can look into other options as well.

Another question I'd like to ask to anyone who has studied in here is how much I'd have to pay for tuition and any other fees, since even though I've started looking into getting a scholarship from the Japanese embassy in my country, it's something that might not come through in the end, anyway.

Mrgamer

I've always been attracted by Japanese women,my sister is going to Seoul for uni and was thinking about visiting her and then go for Japan or one weekend.
In terms of dating there what is it like to have a 2 day fling?

openrob

Hey, so after visiting Japan this past summer I have been planning in the back of my head to go there for a month or two next year when I finish my BA degree (I'm currently in my last year!).

On top of this, yesterday I caught up with someone I haven't seen for a while, and they are planning to move to Japan, Tokyo full time in 2015 and starting something up there. I am gonna meet up with them in Dec to discuss if there would be an opportunity for me there, even if it was voluntary I may have somewhere to live.

Now I know the prospect of moving to Japan is something I would love to do, the reality is not something I have really thought through.

First of all I would like to go there for the 1 or 2 months in summer to see what it's like. I don't want to burn through savings, so either having a job, and renting a place, or volunteering in a summer project that has accommodation would be ideal. My Japanese is basic, but I should improve by then.

However I am married so whatever I would do wound need to include my wife. She is a secondary school teacher so she at least had the summer off to explore this with me.

Anyway, what would your guys initial advise be?

Zornica

Banned
Hey, so after visiting Japan this past summer I have been planning in the back of my head to go there for a month or two next year when I finish my BA degree (I'm currently in my last year!).

On top of this, yesterday I caught up with someone I haven't seen for a while, and they are planning to move to Japan, Tokyo full time in 2015 and starting something up there. I am gonna meet up with them in Dec to discuss if there would be an opportunity for me there, even if it was voluntary I may have somewhere to live.

Now I know the prospect of moving to Japan is something I would love to do, the reality is not something I have really thought through.

First of all I would like to go there for the 1 or 2 months in summer to see what it's like. I don't want to burn through savings, so either having a job, and renting a place, or volunteering in a summer project that has accommodation would be ideal. My Japanese is basic, but I should improve by then.

However I am married so whatever I would do wound need to include my wife. She is a secondary school teacher so she at least had the summer off to explore this with me.

Anyway, what would your guys initial advise be?

depends where you are from. some countries are eligible for a working holiday visa, which would be your best shot. Other than that, your chances of working here (legally) are very slim. Working on a tourist visa may result in a lifetime ban.
maybe you wanna try wwoofing?
http://www.wwoof.net/
It's voluntary, but they'll provide shelter and food. It's what most friends and colleagues who wanted to work in japan did.

Don't know if it's still a thing but I was told (in 2007) that handing out tissues to people who pass by (a form of advertising) is a daily contract thing. The pay is decent but prepare for people to act like you don't exist. I've never seen a foreigner do it though.

I stayed in a hotel without working in Japan for 1 month and it cost me about $1500 plus food (I spent 5-10 dollars per day so 150-300 dollars extra). If your wife is coming with you, it wouldn't necessarily double. At my hotel, it would have been 80 dollars a day instead of 50. If there is 2 of you, staying overnight in a love hotel would be a reasonable price.

Another option, which young people in Japan do, is to stay in a manga cafe. If you have a lot of luggage you could stuff it in a coin locker. Manga cafes charge by the hour so if you would only pay for the time you were sleeping. That would be the cheapest way other than couch surfing with someone else.

As far as getting a decent job, who would hire someone for 1 or 2 months? You typically get paid monthly in Japan. As others mentioned, it would also be illegal unless you have a working holiday visa (and you would be wasting it on a 2 month vacation instead of 6months or a full year) and no one is going to give you a visa for 1-2 months.

Depending on how old you are, you could also both try to do a homestay (probably separately).

If you really want to slum it, apparently a guy who worked at my old company was a drunk living under a staircase until he was eventually fired:p

I know a Japanese guy who traveled by working on farms but I don't know anything about it.

openrob

If you really want to slum it, apparently a guy who worked at my old company was a drunk living under a staircase until he was eventually fired:p
Haha too funny! Thanks for the heads up about working holiday visas.
I assume there are many people that travel in the summer so I am gonna keep my ears open. Had some friends that done te WWOOF thing so will ask them.

Zornica

Banned
Haha too funny! Thanks for the heads up about working holiday visas.
I assume there are many people that travel in the summer so I am gonna keep my ears open. Had some friends that done te WWOOF thing so will ask them.

Regarding the working holiday visa, if you don't live in any of these few countries, don't even bother:
Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, France, Germany, U.K., Ireland, Denmark, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Norway

in that case, wwoof would be your best shot.
depending on what farm/establishment you pick, you'll either have a great or an awful time. Some employers treat their wwoofers like slaves, others don't. make sure to get some info beforehand.

Well, I'm sitting in a Starbucks overlooking Shibuya.

What the hell do I do now, GAF? Y'all getting together anytime soon?

Also, if I buy a PSVita here, will it be able to use the US store?

Hi Japan-GAF I finally planned to go toTokyo for the first time in a month (from the 26th of December to the 10th of January) and I'm trying to organize my trip deciding what's to see. I have a request: I'd like to visit a museum or something like that related to Japan cinema. I already purchased a ticket for the Ghibli Museum but I wanted something more general too, does it exist? I'm talking something related to directors like Kurosawa, Kobayashi, Mizoguchi, Ozu... I searched for it and found nothing. Also I'm not moving too far away from Tokyo so you might have to consider this. Thanks in advance guys

Hi Japan-GAF I finally planned to go toTokyo for the first time in a month (from the 26th of December to the 10th of January) and I'm trying to organize my trip deciding what's to see. I have a request: I'd like to visit a museum or something like that related to Japan cinema. I already purchased a ticket for the Ghibli Museum but I wanted something more general too, does it exist? I'm talking something related to directors like Kurosawa, Kobayashi, Mizoguchi, Ozu... I searched for it and found nothing. Also I'm not moving too far away from Tokyo so you might have to consider this. Thanks in advance guys

Hm... The National Film Center?
http://www.momat.go.jp/english/nfc/index.html

Here's the travel thread btw:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079

scarlet

I wanna buy Timberland boots for winter trip in February, price is cheaper there in Japan, but my question is how about the size? My feet is about 43-45? Is it really hard to find footwear in that sizes?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I wanna buy Timberland boots for winter trip in February, price is cheaper there in Japan, but my question is how about the size? My feet is about 43-45? Is it really hard to find footwear in that sizes?

28.5-29.5 around, depends on the brand but i have around that size and didn't had any problem here.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Any of you guys been vaccinated for anything? Friend is coming to visit and asked me if they should get a Japanese encephalitis shot. Never thought about it myself because it seemed like something you'd mainly need for rural areas, but is it worth considering?

Any of you guys been vaccinated for anything? Friend is coming to visit and asked me if they should get a Japanese encephalitis shot. Never thought about it myself because it seemed like something you'd mainly need for rural areas, but is it worth considering?

Depends if you're going to rural areas. I got a DKTP shot, but not the Japanese encephalitis one when I went. Despite the name, there's a higher chance of getting Japanese encephalitis in other Asian countries than Japan.

Zornica

Banned
Depends if you're going to rural areas. I got a DKTP shot, but not the Japanese encephalitis one when I went. Despite the name, there's a higher chance of getting Japanese encephalitis in other Asian countries than Japan.

same here.

I even asked my doctor if I should get a Japanese encephalitis shot, but he strongly advised against it. He said I'd be better off buying a few cans of mosquito repellent.

28.5-29.5 is around 44-45 right?

Can I just use sneakers or boots is a must in winter?

Depends where your going, by winter trip do you intend to play in snow? if so I'd recommend boots simply because sneakers tend to have holes to make them breathable which will get your feet soaked pretty quick if your going in anything deep enough to cover them.

Top Bottom