• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The current Ebisu market is terrible, it's slim pickings -- prepare for frustration.

oh it's even worse than that - we are looking at Azabu Juban or as close as we can get - and not to rent, to buy.

So... Ebisu, Hiroo, Meguro, Azabu Juban.

This will be my second house hunt - and we also need to find a place that we can accomodate -7- people in. lol.

This years bonus better be good lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
oh it's even worse than that - we are looking at Azabu Juban or as close as we can get - and not to rent, to buy.

This will be my second house hunt - and we also need to find a place that we can accomodate -7- people in. lol.

Good luck with that :)

Zornica

Banned
Election Results are out:

[...]
The Liberal Democratic Party led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and its coalition partner, Komeito, garnered 318 seats, one more than a two-thirds majority, in the 475-seat Lower House.

A two-thirds majority in the chamber will allow the re-enactment of bills rejected by the Upper House. A two-thirds majority in the Lower House also makes it possible to propose amending the Constitution.

[...]

The largest opposition group, the Democratic Party of Japan, won 72 seats, 10 more than its pre-election strength of 62, but is likely to be short of 100.

[...]

The Japan Restoration Party has won 39 seats.

Komeito won 32 seats.
The Japanese Communist Party has won 20 seats, more than doubling its pre-election strength of 8. It's the first time in 14 years for the party to secure 10 or more seats.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20141214_35.html

I think the biggest surprise of the evening might be the communist party, quite a remarkable result. too bad they couldn't steal another 2 seats from the ldp or the komeito...

The biggest looser of the evening may be democracy itself, as the turnout was incredibly low, around 30%! meaning that only about 20% of Japans population actually voted for Abe.

urfe

Election Results are out:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20141214_35.html

I think the biggest surprise of the evening might be the communist party, quite a remarkable result. too bad they couldn't steal another 2 seats from the ldp or the komeito...

The biggest looser of the evening may be democracy itself, as the turnout was incredibly low, around 30%! meaning that only about 20% of Japans population actually voted for Abe.

Pretty sure turnout was a 50%.

Good on the JCP. Hopefully Komeito's raise will stop insane constitution revision.

Zornica

Banned
Pretty sure turnout was a 50%.

Good on the JCP. Hopefully Komeito's raise will stop insane constitution revision.

I guess they made the final numbers even more final after I went to bed, the same seems to be true for turnout, sry my bad. Haven't found a source yet for a final confirmation

update:

The Liberal Democratic Party led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and its coalition partner, Komeito, garnered 326 seats in the 475-seat Lower House.

The figure is one more than they won in the last election in 2012, and 9 more than a two-thirds majority in the Lower House. This will allow the re-enactment of bills rejected by the Upper House.

[...]

The largest opposition group, the Democratic Party of Japan, won 73 seats, 11 more than its pre-election strength of 62.

[...]

The Japan Innovation Party has won 41 seats.

Komeito won 35 seats.

The Japanese Communist Party has won 21 seats, more than doubling its pre-election strength of 8. It's the first time in 14 years for the party to secure 10 or more seats.
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/news/20141215_07.html

May16

God bless the old bait and switch.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/12/15/national/abes-snap-election-pays-big-win/#.VI4lAntdl-w
After focusing most of his campaign on the economy, Abe said in an interview on TV Asahi Sunday night that he would pursue his pet goal of amending the pacifist Constitution, a contentious issue he avoided but which promises to drastically change the nation’s defense posture.
Campaign on the economy, avoid talking about more controversial issues, and then the real plans come out. It's nice to know that politicians are pretty much the same the world over. -_- I guess.

urfe

God bless the old bait and switch.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/12/15/national/abes-snap-election-pays-big-win/#.VI4lAntdl-w

Campaign on the economy, avoid talking about more controversial issues, and then the real plans come out. It's nice to know that politicians are pretty much the same the world over. -_- I guess.

They can't without Komeito, and they campaigned on holding the LDP in check in their alliance.

Especially with Jisedai going down to two seats.

Sakura

Do shrines have hours of operation? Could I just go to a nearby shrine right now and chill if I wanted to or would there be security or something?

Also the election is over? Does that mean I don't have to hear the vans driving around shouting shit any more?

Ayumi

Do shrines have hours of operation? Could I just go to a nearby shrine right now and chill if I wanted to or would there be security or something?

You're free to go as long as the doors/ports are open. Some shrines have different opening/closing hours than others, so you might want to check before you go. If the gates aren't closed but the shrine itself is closed, you can walk around outside and pray, if you want to.

megabadd

*makes teeth sucking noise*

Godspeed, sir! I was considering buying a place, but I'm not a permanent resident yet so financing would be hard to come by.

Mik2121

Oh yeah, those vans with the stupid speakers screaming during the mornings even on weekends.... I usually never wish anything bad to anyone, but there's been a few times I wished those vans would crash into something and just shut the hell up.
How that stuff is legal is something I will never understand. Its forcing shit to anyone not just in public spaces but even inside their houses. For a country that is otherwise so stupidly quiet in the trains and other places, this stuff is even weirder.

Zornica

Banned
not sure if I should put this into travel gaf... but it's not really about travelling japan so:

what would be my best option if I wanted to go to seoul for a weekend? are there like any cheap airlines? (preferably from haneda)

Ayumi

not sure if I should put this into travel gaf... but it's not really about travelling japan so:

what would be my best option if I wanted to go to seoul for a weekend? are there like any cheap airlines? (preferably from haneda)
Try to check the HiS website? Also might be cheaper to travel from Narita. With 26 flights per day, I'm sure you will find something. Lookup the companies on those flights and check their website, maybe.

Desmond

Try to check the HiS website? Also might be cheaper to travel from Narita. With 26 flights per day, I'm sure you will find something. Lookup the companies on those flights and check their website, maybe.

And by extension, any easy way to pay by cash? Conbini or something I presume?

Ayumi

And by extension, any easy way to pay by cash? Conbini or something I presume?
Not sure what you mean by "extension"?

It's different from each company, I think. I know JAL will let you pay e-tickets from the konbini for domestic flights, for instance.But I always used my credit card so I don't know if it works the way you want it to.

Edit #1) P.S. There's an xmas sale on HiS right now! As low as 1万 from Haneda to Seoul.

Edit #2: And Desmond, 久しぶりです! Been ages since we talked. Hope you're having a great December. :3

Ayumi

Sorry for double posting.

@ m3r4

I remember you mentioned black companies earlier, and I thought of that when I saw this today:

ユニクロ社長「当社はブラック企業ではない。環境改善が進み入社希望者に対してきちんと否定できるようになった」
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20141219-00000557-san-bus_all

Sakura

Does anyone know of atm's that accept foreign cards that allow you to withdraw in multiples of 1000 yen bills? The one at seven only lets me do 10000 so if I only have 90 bucks in my bank I can't access it :(
Edit: Never mind I just borrowed 10,000 from my boss.

Does anyone know the laws of bringing game consoles in checked luggage? I want to bring back some of the (non-current) console's I've picked up here. I heard that they have to be in carry on luggage.

Desmond

Not sure what you mean by "extension"?

It's different from each company, I think. I know JAL will let you pay e-tickets from the konbini for domestic flights, for instance.But I always used my credit card so I don't know if it works the way you want it to.

Edit #1) P.S. There's an xmas sale on HiS right now! As low as 1万 from Haneda to Seoul.

Edit #2: And Desmond, 久しぶりです! Been ages since we talked. Hope you're having a great December. :3

I meant I was writing my question as an extension to Zornica's question. :3

Thanks! Going to try to visit Korea in the Spring!

久しぶりですよね! Kyoto looked gorgeous in the tiny bit of snow that fell on Thursday. :)

Does anyone know the laws of bringing game consoles in checked luggage? I want to bring back some of the (non-current) console's I've picked up here. I heard that they have to be in carry on luggage.
My friend brought a Gamecube with him, no hassle.

Sakura

I brought game consoles into Japan, namely my PS3 and games. It was in my checked luggage. Don't know about the reverse.
I would warn you though that they might manhandle it. When I got my checked luggage back several of my video game cases were broken.

perhaps some of you have experience getting gifts or importing. i want to ship a christmas gift to my host family in japan and need some tips. i have a gift for each of five family members. what would be correct way to ship the items? is it ok to gift wrap? i plan to use USPS from the US so how should i go about filling any customs forms.

any helps would be greatly appreciated.

perhaps some of you have experience getting gifts or importing. i want to ship a christmas gift to my host family in japan and need some tips. i have a gift for each of five family members. what would be correct way to ship the items? is it ok to gift wrap? i plan to use USPS from the US so how should i go about filling any customs forms.

any helps would be greatly appreciated.

If I remember hearing right, and I might be totally wrong or half wrong about this, you cant ship wrapped gifts... that might just be if its individual though. If its in like wrapped gifts in a normal box it should be ok. The international part is what I even more unsure of. I'd try to call the local place or go in and check to be sure since its USPS instead of a third party like UPS or FedEx

If I remember hearing right, and I might be totally wrong or half wrong about this, you cant ship wrapped gifts... that might just be if its individual though. If its in like wrapped gifts in a normal box it should be ok. The international part is what I even more unsure of. I'd try to call the local place or go in and check to be sure since its USPS instead of a third party like UPS or FedEx

Yeah, I was planning on sending the 5 gifts within one box. I will give my local USPS a visit on monday and hope theres no problems with that.

I brought game consoles into Japan, namely my PS3 and games. It was in my checked luggage. Don't know about the reverse.
I would warn you though that they might manhandle it. When I got my checked luggage back several of my video game cases were broken.

Thanks for your and other posters advice. I picked up some bubble wrap and will wrap it around clothes, so it shouldn't be damaged. Planning on bringing my Hanshin Tigers Gamecube and my Super Famicon back to the US. Will still have my other two Gamecubes in Japan so I can eventually finish Giftpia~

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, I was planning on sending the 5 gifts within one box. I will give my local USPS a visit on monday and hope theres no problems with that.

No problems. I've sent and received (with USPS) giant boxes with all sorts of shit and never had an issue. The only issue is when you declare something (assuming you don't have the balls to hide it) that you have to pay taxes on or some other item requiring inspection. Then obviously they'd take apart anything you've boxed or wrapped. I've only had that happen when I've ordered jewelry worth more than 10k though.

Sakura

The owner at work gave me a kotatsu.
No more cold days for me T_T
Seriously I never thought winter in Japan would be so cold.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The owner at work gave me a kotatsu.
No more cold days for me T_T
Seriously I never thought winter in Japan would be so cold.
It's not the winter that's cold, it's the terrible houses that don't allow for heat to stay inside. Every day when I wake up my room's temperature is about 13-14 degrees C with ~0 degrees outside. During Winters in Poland where I'm from, the temperature outside can reach -20, but because of the way the apartments are heated, it's always warm inside.

Sakura

It's not the winter that's cold, it's the terrible houses that don't allow for heat to stay inside. Every day when I wake up my room's temperature is about 13-14 degrees C with ~0 degrees outside. During Winters in Poland where I'm from, the temperature outside can reach -20, but because of the way the apartments are heated, it's always warm inside.

Ah, yea that's what I mean. I live in a 20,000 yen a month place, which is unsurprisingly poorly insulated. It's pretty ridiculous when I am sitting here at my laptop in the comfort of my own place, yet it's cold enough to see my breath. It was colder back home (Canada) but actually inside home was never below 20 degrees, so winter may as well not exist most of the time. But here it's like, you can't escape.

why did you not have/purchase one yourself? as for heating, get kerosene.
If I had the extra cash I probably would've, but I only have 11,000 yen to my name until pay day. The owner has a friend who has 3 and was just going to throw one away so he got him to give it to me instead.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Zornica

Banned

consider yourself lucky... The second I turn off the heating it starts to get chilly. It's especially tough in the morning... It's mostly below 10°C. But I also live near the sea with constantly strong winds. That may also be a factor. I wish my desk was a kotatsu :/

I wish I could... But sadly that's not possible. I'll just have to sit it out.

do I notice some passive aggressiveness in there? ;) I honestly can't tell.
btw, If I new the names of the companies that offer flights, I wouldn't have asked. I was hoping that someone here might have some experiences and could recommend good airlines or warn from certain ones.
But I'll check out HiS, thanks

Sorry for double posting.

@ m3r4

I remember you mentioned black companies earlier, and I thought of that when I saw this today:

ユニクロ社長「当社はブラック企業ではない。環境改善が進み入社希望者に対してきちんと否定できるようになった」
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20141219-00000557-san-bus_all

I thought that this was the interesting part:
現在、ユニクロ店舗で正社員比率が1~2割程度なのを、今後は5割に引き上げていく考えも示した。
shameful, lets see if he follows up on his claims.
(do we need to provide translations for quotes too?)

edit: btw: every time I take a JR Train it says that JR and the police are on a high alert... hasn't that been the case for years now? I honestly don't see the point...

Ayumi

do I notice some passive aggressiveness in there? ;) I honestly can't tell.
btw, If I new the names of the companies that offer flights, I wouldn't have asked. I was hoping that someone here might have some experiences and could recommend good airlines or warn from certain ones.
But I'll check out HiS, thanks

Huh? I certainly didn't mean to sound passive aggressive. D:
Didn't know that "maybe" would make it seem so. I will try not to write that in the future so I don't confuse more people.. I wrote it because I wasn't sure you'd find what you were looking so, so "checking it might help you".

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
*makes teeth sucking noise*

Godspeed, sir! I was considering buying a place, but I'm not a permanent resident yet so financing would be hard to come by.

haha, yeah - we already went through the horror of buying a place back in Tokyo in 2008 - so to get a new place we'd have to go through the whole searching thing again , mortgages etc and selling the current place ....

The 7 people is a killer - doable once you start moving out from the hub, but within it? Naaa... not happening. Unless we start living like the Buckett family from Charlie and the chocolate factory

Torraz

Crossposting from the Travel thread.

Is there a thing such as a GAF comiket trip/meetup? Now that I am finally in Japan during that timespan, I am greatly motivated to go at least once - just for the experience.

Anyone else in Japan near the end of the year, and wanting to meet up, perhaps for a beer, coffee or a day trip somewhere?

I'll be there from the 26th, and I will again be departing on the 3rd of January. Except for some of the longer daytrips I want to take (such as the ushiku daibutsu) I'm quite flexible.

Cheers.

Have a great holiday period. Looking forward to seeing some of the new year events / rituals.

Zornica

Banned
Huh? I certainly didn't mean to sound passive aggressive. D:
Didn't know that "maybe" would make it seem so. I will try not to write that in the future so I don't confuse more people.. I wrote it because I wasn't sure you'd find what you were looking so, so "checking it might help you".

oh, I'm really sorry, for some reason I read it as a "duh". I guess I'm way to sensitive lately.

Crossposting from the Travel thread.

Is there a thing such as a GAF comiket trip/meetup? Now that I am finally in Japan during that timespan, I am greatly motivated to go at least once - just for the experience.

Anyone else in Japan near the end of the year, and wanting to meet up, perhaps for a beer, coffee or a day trip somewhere?

I'll be there from the 26th, and I will again be departing on the 3rd of January. Except for some of the longer daytrips I want to take (such as the ushiku daibutsu) I'm quite flexible.

Cheers.

Have a great holiday period. Looking forward to seeing some of the new year events / rituals.

I haven't been to a comiket yet but I was kinda interested to go there too. Might as well go together next week as it's probably going to suck during the summer heat.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
oh, I'm really sorry, for some reason I read it as a "duh". I guess I'm way to sensitive lately.

I haven't been to a comiket yet but I was kinda interested to go there too. Might as well go together next week as it's probably going to suck during the summer heat.
It doesn't smell that bad during the winter one, that's for sure.
If you're not going to buy something specific, I suggest coming later, which will allow you to miss the initial line:
G8M8gpR.jpg

Jintor

I might go to next year's Comiket. Unless it's easy to plan for this one in the space of a week or something :T

Yeah... I'm thinking of staying on another year. Very comfortable where I am and I get school holidays off. Just got to buckle down and learn the language.

Day trip to Osaka to wander Denden town again and get some stuff from Uniqlo, but is there anything I should really go see there?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I might go to next year's Comiket. Unless it's easy to plan for this one in the space of a week or something :T

Yeah... I'm thinking of staying on another year. Very comfortable where I am and I get school holidays off. Just got to buckle down and learn the language.

Day trip to Osaka to wander Denden town again and get some stuff from Uniqlo, but is there anything I should really go see there?
You don't really need to plan anything, just decide the time and go.

Ayumi

It doesn't smell that bad during the winter one, that's for sure.
If you're not going to buy something specific, I suggest coming later, which will allow you to miss the initial line:

Fuyukomi is overall much more comfortable, especially the heat. The Natsukomi smell doesn't seem that bad to me (then again, my sense of smell is very reduced). The only bad side (speaking as a cosplayer) is the cold..

Torraz

Sounds good. Just need to decide on which day and when /where to meet.

Cheers.

Zornica

Banned
Sounds good. Just need to decide on which day and when /where to meet.

Cheers.

I have never been there so I'm not sure which day would be best.
it's either the 28th, the 29th or the 30th, right?
do you want to buy some doujin? If not, the 30ths should also be fine I guess. I'd prefer the least crowded day to be honest.

oh snap... I forgot that this week is 31C3 -_-. I probably won't be able to make it. Too much interesting stuff going on :7

Torraz

I have never been there so I'm not sure which day would be best.
it's either the 28th, the 29th or the 30th, right?
do you want to buy some doujin? If not, the 30ths should also be fine I guess. I'd prefer the least crowded day to be honest.

oh snap... I forgot that this week is 31C3 -_-. I probably won't be able to make it. Too much interesting stuff going on :7

Any of the days would be fine. Would mostly be going for the experience as a whole and cosplay square.

Zornica

Banned
in case you misunderstood the last line:
I'm sorry but I think I won't be ale to make it, as I will be up all night for the next 2 days watching the 31C3 streams...
It became kinda like a ritual over the last couple of years

also I couldn't find anything about opening times... From what I remember they close shop fairly early

Torraz

Totally missed the edit. Apologies.

Found some doujin i would like to buy after all, so i would need to go semi-early on Wednesday anyways.

Ayumi

also I couldn't find anything about opening times... From what I remember they close shop fairly early
If you're talking about Comiket, it's mostly open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m, company booths until 5 p.m. But on the last day (Tuesday), the cosplay square closes 3 p.m. and the company booths at 4 p.m.
Totally missed the edit. Apologies.

Found some doujin i would like to buy after all, so i would need to go semi-early on Wednesday anyways.
Last day is Tuesday, not Wednesday.

Torraz

If you're talking about Comiket, it's mostly open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m, company booths until 5 p.m. But on the last day (Tuesday), the cosplay square closes 3 p.m. and the company booths at 4 p.m.

Last day is Tuesday, not Wednesday.

You are of course correct. I'm a bit confused today, and mixed up the third day of the event with the third day of the week...

Top Bottom