• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Quick question for Tokyo-GAF:

I need to film a quick intro video tomorrow to pitch a panel at SXSW this year. I'd like to have something neat in the background, but I'm not sure where to film it. It would have to be kind of quiet, since I will be filming it myself with my smartphone camera.

Any ideas? Maybe something with the skyline in the background?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
But I actually have plans on the 24th, believe it or not. They involve gaming & not leaving my apartment. (・∀・)

Sometimes, that are the best plans.

Zornica

Banned
Welp, I thought someone here had an American Wii U :-/

It's going to be a long two weeks before Dec. 6th.

as we approach the smash launch day, still anyone interested in some kind of launch party?
I guess there isn't going to be some kind of midnight launch somewhere, right? It would be kinda neat though... lining up at midnight followed by playing this the sun rises (and all the trains start moving again).

Sometimes, that are the best plans.

true that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Lining up for a midnight launch might be difficult, but it will probably unlocked on the eshop around 10pm on Friday and it has preload iirc.

megabadd

as we approach the smash launch day, still anyone interested in some kind of launch party?
I guess there isn't going to be some kind of midnight launch somewhere, right? It would be kinda neat though... lining up at midnight followed by playing this the sun rises (and all the trains start moving again).

true that.

I'm still up for hosting. We could have two tvs going if someone wants to bring another wii u. Saturday afternoon -> night would be better for me. If people are interested, let me know.

I have not ordered the Gamecube converter thing, so I'm going to try and find it and the game on Saturday morning.

Zornica

Banned
I'm still up for hosting. We could have two tvs going if someone wants to bring another wii u. Saturday afternoon -> night would be better for me. If people are interested, let me know.

I have not ordered the Gamecube converter thing, so I'm going to try and find it and the game on Saturday morning.

well... I don't have any of my Wii/U stuff over here in japan, so I wouldn't be able to contribute much (as in controllers)...

Where are you located btw?

Zornica

Banned
yeah, Ebisu is pretty nice. I used to walk around the area at night during the summer when I couldn't sleep due to the heat. I really liked the small streets along the river near naka meguro.

I've never played any of the guilty gears games, so I'll probably suck at it.

Also I hope we can gather at least 4 people, smash should be played as a group after all ;)

megabadd

yeah, Ebisu is pretty nice. I used to walk around the area at night during the summer when I couldn't sleep due to the heat. I really liked the small streets along the river near naka meguro.

I've never played any of the guilty gears games, so I'll probably suck at it.

Also I hope we can gather at least 4 people, smash should be played as a group after all ;)

I've invited offline friends too, so I assume we'll hit 4+ people.

I'm not going to post my address here, but PM me for it. Plan is to start from 2PM on Saturday until people get tired, haha.

putarorex

Bonenkai season is bad for my poor liver. I have one party for tonight and four more before the end of the year. I only want to go to one but I'm obligated to attend the others.

megabadd

Dammit!!!

I told myself I wouldn't get hype about this but I think my resolve is weakening.....

Also 120 yen to the dollar ya'll!!!! Hookers and blow for EVEYONE!!!!!!!

Edit: BTW how hard was the adapter to get?

With the forex rate, how could I not buy it??

I went at 1030 to the bic camera in Shibuya and didn't have a problem. Dunno how many they had in stock tho. It was cheaper getting it in person than going thru Amazon.

Zornica

Banned
thanks for the nice afternoon!
even though I missed my last train as usual, the 30 minutes walk home was well worth it!
Playing an awesome game with awesome people beats sitting at home playing over the internet any day.

next time we should remove the nun-chuck too, to make the controller even worse. Maybe that will stop HIM.

I can already tell that I'm going to like this version of smash way more than both brawl and melee.
maybe I should get the 3ds Version...

Torraz

Going to be in the Tokyo region from the 26th to early January. Any meetups planned, one would be able to join?

Always looking forward to meeting new people.

megabadd

thanks for the nice afternoon!
even though I missed my last train as usual, the 30 minutes walk home was well worth it!
Playing an awesome game with awesome people beats sitting at home playing over the internet any day.

next time we should remove the nun-chuck too, to make the controller even worse. Maybe that will stop HIM.

I can already tell that I'm going to like this version of smash way more than both brawl and melee.
maybe I should get the 3ds Version...

Thanks for coming! Haha, we'll have to do something about that Erik...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ebisu, centre of the universe.

Man, i worked in Ebisu for 13 years and i used to live in YGP (at least initially for 4 months) then moved to Shirokane Dai (just down the road)

Now i've had this argument with CVXFreak several times but i honestly don't get the attraction of Ebisu at all. Okay, the skywalk is pretty cool and it's close to Daikanyama and handy for Shibuya but as a place in itself i didn't particularly get it.

It used to have a great flying-get games place until it was shut down and it used to have a huge Zest i guess, but yeah.... i dunno, maybe it was familiarity breeding contempt? I mean, i had to get out of Yebisu Garden Place Tower because it meant i was literally living next door to the office and that drove me nuts.

megabadd

Man, i worked in Ebisu for 13 years and i used to live in YGP (at least initially for 4 months) then moved to Shirokane Dai (just down the road)

Now i've had this argument with CVXFreak several times but i honestly don't get the attraction of Ebisu at all. Okay, the skywalk is pretty cool and it's close to Daikanyama and handy for Shibuya but as a place in itself i didn't particularly get it.

It used to have a great flying-get games place until it was shut down and it used to have a huge Zest i guess, but yeah.... i dunno, maybe it was familiarity breeding contempt? I mean, i had to get out of Yebisu Garden Place Tower because it meant i was literally living next door to the office and that drove me nuts.

Morgan Stanley? Also, I go to El Rincon de Sam and Hacienda del Cielo -- was never a huge Zest fan. But my favorite burrito place, Libre, shut down the other day T_T.

I love Ebisu, although the centre of the universe thing is tongue in cheek (any area I live becomes my new 'centre of the universe' lol). It just has literally everything I need within a 15 minute radius. I'm a few minutes from the metro that takes me to work, my gym is in Daikanyama, the coffee shops are amazing, the restaurants and bars are great, I can jump on the Yamanote if need by, it has a good mix of Japanese and international feel without going into either extreme, and it feels like a suburb but it's actually in the middle of the city. The only thing I'm missing is a game store, but I can stroll over to Shibuya for that. I was thinking about moving the other day, and then I realized that I have everything I need in Ebisu.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Morgan Stanley? Also, I go to El Rincon de Sam and Hacienda del Cielo -- was never a huge Zest fan. But my favorite burrito place, Libre, shut down the other day T_T.

yeah, i was at MS for 13 years. Zest was more for the memories of everyone heading down there and it went through a few "changes" -

I love Ebisu, although the centre of the universe thing is tongue in cheek (any area I live becomes my new 'centre of the universe' lol).

hehe, yeah, I've lived in 4 different places around TK and i spent a significant amount of time in 2 other parts of Tokyo - same thing happens to me :D

It just has literally everything I need within a 15 minute radius. I'm a few minutes from the metro that takes me to work, my gym is in Daikanyama, the coffee shops are amazing, the restaurants and bars are great, I can jump on the Yamanote if need by, it has a good mix of Japanese and international feel without going into either extreme, and it feels like a suburb but it's actually in the middle of the city. The only thing I'm missing is a game store, but I can stroll over to Shibuya for that. I was thinking about moving the other day, and then I realized that I have everything I need in Ebisu.

Irony of ironies - after all this said - we are possibly looking at moving to Ebisu. We need to move at some point for kids school but i'm not sure i have the appetite to go through house hunting again. Like you say, it's a great location - and i think ultimately it was just i spent way too much time there.

Daikanyama is great - the huge Tsutaya there is fantastic.

Zornica

Banned
Anyone going to Jump Festa next weekend?
I'm not sure what to expect as compared to tgs, but seems like a nice chance to buy some Christmas presents.

Wait, did I miss a meetup? Crap.

I'll have to keep checking this thread more regularly. Does the OP get updated?

the OP should be updated... it's still the old-travel-gaf one :/
we need something new and shiny

Sakura

Lol I was at work today and a customer asked me where I was from. I said Canada.
Then she asked me ありがとうはカナダ語でなんていうんですか?
I was just like, uh we speak English in Canada... (well, the good part anyway)

Ayumi

Lol I was at work today and a customer asked me where I was from. I said Canada.

Most people here can't even point out Canada on a map. And never ask them about any nordic country, or even England. They have no idea. All they know is 'murica because it is the only foreign country to exist, obviously.

Most people here can't even point out Canada on a map. And never ask them about any nordic country, or even England. They have no idea. All they know is 'murica because it is the only foreign country to exist, obviously.

But I thought people liked to go to Finland because of Moomins ;P

Most of my students think Canada is in Europe.

megabadd

Irony of ironies - after all this said - we are possibly looking at moving to Ebisu. We need to move at some point for kids school but i'm not sure i have the appetite to go through house hunting again. Like you say, it's a great location - and i think ultimately it was just i spent way too much time there.

Daikanyama is great - the huge Tsutaya there is fantastic.

The current Ebisu market is terrible, it's slim pickings -- prepare for frustration.

Any kind Japanese speaker here able to translate something for a friend?

:
  • minnasan sayounara sensei ogenki de 
  • takanatta mune ni yodare ga tareru!
  • shut up! uso darake no karada 
  • kansei shitai yo zuru shitai yo ima, kaitou o 
  • kawarenai no? kawaretai no? nani mo nai? konna no boku ja nai! 
  • nuime ha hodokete hiki chigireta!
  • nietatta dizu de inochi hi o tatsu 
  • dare datte ii no sa kawari ni nareba!

Ayumi

Any kind Japanese speaker here able to translate something for a friend?

Not sure what you want, Japanese writing or an English translation?

Edit: They're song lyrics so a literal translation is probably not what you want.

You can actually find a few translations online, that keep the "poetic song-like text" alive.

http://songlyricsforyouyay.blogspot.jp/2012/10/tokyo-teddy-bear-english.html
http://warriorcatsrpg.com/index.php?topic=1620136.0

If I translate, the text will be much shorter and won't really look like a song.
I'd say these translations (as I glanced over them) were just fine.

Not sure what you want, Japanese writing or an English translation?

Edit: They're song lyrics so a literal translation is probably not what you want.

You can actually find a few translations online, that keep the "poetic song-like text" alive.

http://songlyricsforyouyay.blogspot.jp/2012/10/tokyo-teddy-bear-english.html
http://warriorcatsrpg.com/index.php?topic=1620136.0

If I translate, the text will be much shorter and won't really look like a song.
I'd say these translations (as I glanced over them) were just fine.

Cheers!

May16

Elections are on Sunday and everyone's expecting a landslide victory for Shinzo Abe and the Militant Nationalists (sounds like a band name).
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...past-religious-patriotic-values/#.VIrR3ntdl-x
Among the key elements of the SAS agenda are calls to rewrite Japan’s U.S.-drafted, postwar Constitution, not only to alter its pacifist Article 9 but to blur the separation of religion and state. Education reform, to better nurture love of country among youth, is another top priority.

Experts see parallels between these groups and the U.S. Tea Party movement, with its calls to restore lost American values.

Is shit about to get real?

May16

shit has already been real for the last 50 years. a non-election isn't going to change anything.

Explain?
I'm relatively new here. Have they been erasing the pacifist constitution for the last 50 years? I thought this was a new issue?

Military entrance exams have "record numbers" according to the Japan Times. This isn't new?

Zornica

Banned
even longer than that.

The LDP has been trying to change the constitution since the early 50s (Basically since the US realized that they would need japan for their paranoid fight against "communism"). It's been an ongoing issue ever since.

just watch "Japan's Peace Constitution" by John Junkerman

as a bonus: changing the constitution isn't as easy. They'd need more than just a majority in both houses. They'd also need a considerable amount of public support, which they are unlikely to get.

Military entrance exams have "record numbers" according to the Japan Times. This isn't new?

Increasing political tension with its neighbors, N.K. getting more nonsense by the week, right wingers pushing lofty military goals from a by gone era. and a sinking economy/job prospects other than the ever nondescript "Business man/Office lady" are all reasons for that too.

Not surprised though, you can make a nice middle class living with the SDF if you stay in it for awhile, its one of those things most non-Japanese really follow or look into cause theres not really a reason to haha.

Anyway, ready for next week's food company scandal?
https://twitter.com/momomocyun/status/543748494322716672

Someone was sold a moldy birthday cake and its getting retweeted like crazy.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Increasing political tension with its neighbors, N.K. getting more nonsense by the week, right wingers pushing lofty military goals from a by gone era. and a sinking economy/job prospects other than the ever nondescript "Business man/Office lady" are all reasons for that too.

Not surprised though, you can make a nice middle class living with the SDF if you stay in it for awhile, its one of those things most non-Japanese really follow or look into cause theres not really a reason to haha.

Anyway, ready for next week's food company scandal?
https://twitter.com/momomocyun/status/543748494322716672

Someone was sold a moldy birthday cake and its getting retweeted like crazy.
Already set to private. :(

Top Bottom