• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Jinaar

Since we'll be in Hakone on the 12th, I booked Robot Restaurant for May 14th 19:50PM. Really looking forward to it. Would have loved to go out with you folks, regardless, have a blast on the 12th!

rrvv

thinking going to japan for pre intern year

I am just wondering. What is my expectation for me if I decide to lives in japan?

Aizo

Banned
I'll be moving back out to Japan in July, but I'm not sure where yet. I hope that wherever it is, there will be GAFers nearby. The first meetup was awesome, and I made some good friends there ^^

I see people in other threads mention living in Japan and wish they posted in here. I imagine there are members in many different prefectures.

Anybody live near/in Himeji? That's where I'm guessing I'll be moving to.

RiamuBME

Hey guys,
I first stumbled upon this thread a few weeks ago,it was really helpful in knowing what to expect with living in Japan.

Well, now I am currently waiting on an email to confirm whether or not I will be offered an ALT position with Interac. I applied a few months ago, passed the initial process, the phone interview and the teaching demo interview.

Both myself and my partner have applied together and we are super excited to hear back. I have a few friends over there currently and they say nothing but good things.

I have wanted to live in Japan and teach English since I was 15 and heard about the JET program. I managed to get through University and get myself a pretty well sought after job. But I feel now after a long working stint, this is the time to get myself out there.

I have read constant blogs, watched videos and read resources about moving over there and living. I was wondering if you guys (who have probably done this a hundred times by now) if you had any advice, must dos/haves, anything to be cautious of or any general stuff you could let me know about?

Fingers crossed, all being well I am going to be heading out in August.

Thanks guys!

kubus

I know this has been asked to death here, but I'm still kind of lost :( sorry!

I need a data sim for my stay in Japan which lasts until mid August. I've seen the b-mobile visitor things but those are 14 days only, so not really for me.

I then noticed there are "normal" prepaid b-mobile sims for 1GB that you can supposedly recharge once it runs out, but the instructions are all in Japanese and I have a hard time understanding everything. The amazon page mentions that recharging costs 2953 yen but is that for another 1GB? Seems kind of expensive...?

Also found this So-net prepaid card which thankfully has a complete English guide and seems pretty straightforward. If I'd go down that route, I guess I could buy the card from amazon?

If someone could shed some light on how b-mobile works (that seems to be the most popular one) or give some advice, it would be hugely appreciated!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hey guys,
I first stumbled upon this thread a few weeks ago,it was really helpful in knowing what to expect with living in Japan.

Well, now I am currently waiting on an email to confirm whether or not I will be offered an ALT position with Interac. I applied a few months ago, passed the initial process, the phone interview and the teaching demo interview.

Both myself and my partner have applied together and we are super excited to hear back. I have a few friends over there currently and they say nothing but good things.

I have wanted to live in Japan and teach English since I was 15 and heard about the JET program. I managed to get through University and get myself a pretty well sought after job. But I feel now after a long working stint, this is the time to get myself out there.

I have read constant blogs, watched videos and read resources about moving over there and living. I was wondering if you guys (who have probably done this a hundred times by now) if you had any advice, must dos/haves, anything to be cautious of or any general stuff you could let me know about?

Fingers crossed, all being well I am going to be heading out in August.

Thanks guys!

Since 15 you have dreamed of making foreign children proficient in their English skills so they can carry on conversations, pass standardized tests, and open new social and professional opportunities? You've wanted to expose them to your country and culture and create a lasting impression on them that allows them to perceive foreigners in a different context for the rest of their lives? For that dream you received a degree in education, maybe even an advanced degree in something like intensive esl for heterogeneous speakers, and have been working in the field in a highly respected position. And now you want to, along with your partner who coincidentally shares the exact same passion for teaching language, go to Japan to fulfill this dream?!

RiamuBME

Since 15 you have dreamed of making foreign children proficient in their English skills so they can carry on conversations, pass standardized tests, and open new social and professional opportunities? You've wanted to expose them to your country and culture and create a lasting impression on them that allows them to perceive foreigners in a different context for the rest of their lives? For that dream you received a degree in education, maybe even an advanced degree in something like intensive esl for heterogeneous speakers, and have been working in the field in a highly respected position. And now you want to, along with your girlfriend who coincidentally shares the exact same passion for teaching language, go to Japan to fulfill this dream?!

Haha, coincidentally and surprisingly, yes. Maybe, not so condescendingly so, but I have indeed since I attended a seminar about the JET program whilst I was in my final year of secondary school (here in the UK - aged 15). My degree was Computer Science (as I always wanted to work in the video-game industry at some point), but I knew that I didn't need anything but a degree if I wanted to go to Japan eventually.

Surprisingly enough, yes my girlfriend also wants to do the same thing. She is a teacher anyway (I guess that helps in wanting to teach), but she originally wanted to teach in Korea, but I strong-armed her into maybe coming to Japan. The time was right with me coming off the back of a large project at work and her finishing her teacher training.

I understand there are certain aspects of the ALT / English Teaching role I do not fully understand yet and will with experience eventually learn about, maybe some advice would help?

Hmm, thanks anyway! :)

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Your reply didn't really help your case. I'll just stop there though since it's pointless.

RiamuBME

Your reply didn't really help your case. I'll just stop there though since it's pointless.

I don't see why asking for some advice or help from either fellow ALT or anyone with experience is such a large issue? Isn't it in fact what these threads are, in part, for?

If you don't want to give me some advice or help in anyway, that's cool. You also want me to edit the "15" part out if it offends you?

But as I said, anyone willing to part some wisdom/advice/experience, I would be very grateful.

I'm an expert

Someone will indeed be along to help you, I didn't say you couldn't get help here. Yes, I was offended by your anecdote about how you dreamed of helping Japanese education with your video game degree and McDonalds alt job. No need to edit, I'll have to suck it up and deal.

RiamuBME

Someone will indeed be along to help you, I didn't say you couldn't get help here. Yes, I was offended by your anecdote about how you dreamed of helping Japanese education with your video game degree and McDonalds alt job. No need to edit, I'll have to suck it up and deal.

I do apologize for offence caused, but it is true (maybe I am still excited and was a little overenthusiastic with my detailing) I have always wanted to try my hand at it and live in Japan. I have worked in an area of the video games industry for three years now, it has been enjoyable and hard work. I wanted to take a break from that and finally do something I have always wanted to do. So I am.

I'm an expert

My issue is not with that, my issue is you saying teaching children in a foreign country was your dream. It wasn't. Your dream was to take advantage of an easy system that requires any degree and provides a path to living in Japan with very little work required. Your dream was to live in Japan. It had nothing to do with teaching. You got your degree in your actual dream - making games - which was also probably influenced at a young age by Japan. I just wanted to call a spade a spade. If you completely proved me wrong I would have recorded me eating a fat plate of crow and posted it just for you, but that wasn't the case. No big deal, like I said, I will just take the L.

RiamuBME

My issue is not with that, my issue is you saying teaching children in a foreign country was your dream. It wasn't. Your dream was to take advantage of an easy system that requires any degree and provides a path to living in Japan with very little work required. Your dream was to live in Japan. It had nothing to do with teaching. You got your degree in your actual dream - making games - which was also probably influenced at a young age by Japan. I just wanted to call a spade a spade. If you completely proved me wrong I would have recorded me eating a fat plate of crow and posted it just for you, but that wasn't the case. No big deal, like I said, I will just take the L.

I am not here to call anyone a liar, but I didn't once say that it was my dream.

Just that I had wanted to go and teach English in Japan since I was 15 and found out about the JET program. Now at 24 I am at a good stage to do it. Anyway, anyway! This is probably wasting both of our times now and fairly counterproductive :)

Do you currently live in Japan, how has your experience been?

I'm an expert

Sure, I owe you a decent amount of answers for the time. What would you like to know. I lived and studied in Japan for almost a decade and am currently overseas on assignment which ends next year, after which I will return to my J-home.

I'm an expert

I was a fool stuck right in between the recovery and the second bubble so I mistakenly saw it as the best position to take in my field. I made a mistake and should have done China instead. I would have been a millionaire much faster and have way more mobility right now.

What made me make it my permanent home eventually is my priorities shifting from career to family.

RiamuBME

Can I ask what it is you do for a living? What have been the best and worst parts in general about living in Japan, compared to your home country (US I presume?)?

I'm an expert

Can I ask what it is you do for a living? What have been the best and worst parts in general about living in Japan, compared to your home country (US I presume?)?

I'm actually a Hungarian citizen, but did major schooling in America and then finally went to Asia. Technically Japan was my longest permanent domicile of my adult life, but I've done stints in London and this time NYC area. I have a rule I don't talk specifics about work, but any detective can figure out after 8 years on gaf that I work in financial professional services with a well known firm.

Best part about Japan will always be the people. Worst part will always be the pizza.

RiamuBME

I'm actually a Hungarian citizen, but did major schooling in America and then finally went to Asia. Technically Japan was my longest permanent domicile of my adult life, but I've done stints in London and this time NYC area. I have a rule I don't talk specifics about work, but any detective can figure out after 8 years on gaf that I work in financial professional services with a well known firm.

Best part about Japan will always be the people. Worst part will always be the pizza.

You're pretty well traveled then, any advice you give is something I can pretty much trust then. Oh man, that is disappointing, I do love a good Pizza. But I am glad to hear that the people are friendly and the best part about it. Do you have any specific advice for me, stuff that you wish someone had told you before arriving there?

Although off on the wrong foot, I sincerely appreciate your answers and advice dude.

I'm an expert

We're not on the wrong foot, I'm just blunt. Though on this forum recently being blunt is enough for a ban. Luckily only gromph knows this thread exists and I'm pretty sure he's well aware of what an asshole I am.

I can't give advice because you're coming into a much different situation than I did. I could tell you dumb stuff that anyone else could like bring aspirin or your favorite toothpaste but what does it matter. Otherwise, you don't even know where you're going or what your living arrangement is. Learn the language I guess, it'll make it easier to not rely on people when you want to do something simple like buy something or sign up for something instead of constantly needing your hand held.

it's 2015 now, all these dumb how to live in Japan guides didn't exist when I went lol.

I know this has been asked to death here, but I'm still kind of lost :( sorry!

I need a data sim for my stay in Japan which lasts until mid August. I've seen the b-mobile visitor things but those are 14 days only, so not really for me.

If someone could shed some light on how b-mobile works (that seems to be the most popular one) or give some advice, it would be hugely appreciated!

Rent a wifi device instead? Can get almost unlimited data with it.

RiamuBME

We're not on the wrong foot, I'm just blunt. Though on this forum recently being blunt is enough for a ban. Luckily only gromph knows this thread exists and I'm pretty sure he's well aware of what an asshole I am.

I can't give advice because you're coming into a much different situation than I did. I could tell you dumb stuff that anyone else could like bring aspirin or your favorite toothpaste but what does it matter. Otherwise, you don't even know where you're going or what your living arrangement is. Learn the language I guess, it'll make it easier to not rely on people when you want to do something simple like buy something or sign up for something instead of constantly needing your hand held.

it's 2015 now, all these dumb how to live in Japan guides didn't exist when I went lol.

Blunt is hard to come by these days! I appreciate you answering me anyway, no matter the form.

Incidentally, you just probably gave me the best piece of advice anyway. I have tried my best to learn certain quirks or just mainline stuff that could help, but I am doing my best to just go there without any preconceptions or with other people's views of the country before even arriving.

Sakura

Is any one familiar with shipping stuff overseas back home?
I don't have enough room in my suitcases so I wanted to mail some of my stuff back home ahead of time. But the Japanese post office website is really confusing. For example it will say parcel size limits depend on country of origin, so I click the link, and the page is entirely in Japanese.

Anyway, do I just go there, and get a shipping label, then fill it out slap it on my box and bring my box there? Do they weigh it or do I have to? I don't remember seeing any big scales in there when I've mailed postcards.
Also, for the customs declaration thingy, does the value of items I bought back in Canada and stuff matter or can I just write whatever?

dani_dc

So does anyone know of any kind of trustworthy PO box rent service in Tokyo?

I received some really important mail back in Portugal (which I wasn't expecting), and I need to have it sent to me here in Japan, but I rather not have it sent to my shared mail box at my shared apartment.

I'm going to try and inquire at my internship place to see if I can have it sent there, but if anyone knows of any kind of PO box rent service that I could look into, it would be very much appreciated.

Rent a wifi device instead? Can get almost unlimited data with it.

How much would it cost to rent one for a few months?
The ones in the Japan travel OT are pretty expensive for monthly rents.

Grokbu

Hey guys. I have a question about the zip code system in Japan. Looking at this site, I went to this Tokyo specific list. When looking at the code 1600000, it says " shinjukuku When there is no description in below.". Does this specific zip code stand for all of Shinjuku? Can anyone living in Shinjuku write this zip code instead of their specific one if they don't want to be that specific, or how does it work? Is the code I mentioned for a specific place in Shinjuku?

I've tried searching, but I personally couldn't find any information this specific.

Ayumi

Hey guys. I have a question about the zip code system in Japan. Looking at this site, I went to this Tokyo specific list. When looking at the code 1600000, it says " shinjukuku When there is no description in below.". Does this specific zip code stand for all of Shinjuku? Can anyone living in Shinjuku write this zip code instead of their specific one if they don't want to be that specific, or how does it work? Is the code I mentioned for a specific place in Shinjuku?

I've tried searching, but I personally couldn't find any information this specific.

The code is a range (16*-****) for Shinjuku, so the numbers starting with 16 is there. Think of it as a phone number range. Shinjuku is huuuge. Wouldn't take any chances. You should always use the full zip code to make sure things end up where they are supposed to. Zip codes are very important in Japan, especially because there are no street names, only area names. Because of this, most services require you to use a working postal code in order for them to know where to go. When mail is delivered, the post men always look at the postal code first (which is why it's written as the first line in Japanese).

Grokbu

The code is a range (16*-****) for Shinjuku, so the numbers starting with 16 is there. Think of it as a phone number range. Shinjuku is huuuge. Wouldn't take any chances. You should always use the full zip code to make sure things end up where they are supposed to. Zip codes are very important in Japan, especially because there are no street names, only area names. Because of this, most services require you to use a working postal code in order for them to know where to go. When mail is delivered, the post men always look at the postal code first (which is why it's written as the first line in Japanese).

Oh, ok! Thanks a lot!

I think I might have been thinking about zip-codes in Japan the wrong way, thinking of postal codes as the way they work in Sweden instead, which is probably a bit different (or I'm a bit confused).

I have two more questions I would like to ask, if that's ok?

1. Am I understanding this correctly, in that a specific zip code goes to only one specific address and not an area? So that one zip code only goes to one specific household, for example?

2. I have seen instances of people writing 160-0000 as the zip code when writing the address to specific places. Is 160-0000 simply the general zip code for Shinjuku, as in if someone writes 160-0000, they know that it is in Shinjuku, but this code isn't for a specific place, just that it is in Shinjuku? And is any place in Shinjuku free to write this zip-code down when writing their address, as it isn't for any specific address/area of Shinjuku?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like an idiot right now.

Ayumi

It IS for a specific area. Shinjuku is a city ward and every city ward have many areas/zones (think of them as neighborhoods) inside that all use their own postal code.

For instance:

Tokyo → Shinjuku → Nishi Shinjuku (West)
Tokyo → Shinjuku → Minami Shinjuku (South)
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; <Area name here>
Etc

Every area name also have block numbers inside (called chome in Japanese)
For instance:
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Nishi Shinjuku 1-Chome (&#19968;&#19969;&#30446;)
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Nishi Shinjuku 2-Chome (&#20108;&#19969;&#30446;)
These are another part of the address though, usually 3 numbers, like 3-7-8 (3 = 3-Chome).
You can read more about it here (helpful if you gotta send stuff):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html
http://tokyo.angloinfo.com/information/housing/post-codes/

I don't know/think it's normal to use a generic ward postal code (like 160-0000) but I've used the wrong postal code before and still gotten my stuff. Even used a Shinjuku postal code when I live in Minato (160 vs 106). But 160-0000 is to identify a range in an area, and points to different places in Shinjuku (probably random) so I wouldn't use it if I were you.

If you're asking because you don't know the specific postal code, I would say it's okay to use the wrong one, but if you already have parts of the address, it should be easy to figure out at least a near-by postal code you could use.

Did you make an order mistake somewhere since you're asking? I can't guarantee it but it *should* be fine, as long as the rest of the info is correct. Dunno if they sort mail by postal code though, so maybe it'll take slightly longer.

Grokbu

Sorry for the late reply!

It IS for a specific area. Shinjuku is a city ward and every city ward have many areas/zones (think of them as neighborhoods) inside that all use their own postal code.

For instance:

Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Nishi Shinjuku (West)
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Minami Shinjuku (South)
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; <Area name here>
Etc

Every area name also have block numbers inside (called chome in Japanese)
For instance:
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Nishi Shinjuku 1-Chome (&#19968;&#19969;&#30446;)
Tokyo &#8594; Shinjuku &#8594; Nishi Shinjuku 2-Chome (&#20108;&#19969;&#30446;)
These are another part of the address though, usually 3 numbers, like 3-7-8 (3 = 3-Chome).
You can read more about it here (helpful if you gotta send stuff):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html
http://tokyo.angloinfo.com/information/housing/post-codes/

I don't know/think it's normal to use a generic ward postal code (like 160-0000) but I've used the wrong postal code before and still gotten my stuff. Even used a Shinjuku postal code when I live in Minato (160 vs 106). But 160-0000 is to identify a range in an area, and points to different places in Shinjuku (probably random) so I wouldn't use it if I were you.

If you're asking because you don't know the specific postal code, I would say it's okay to use the wrong one, but if you already have parts of the address, it should be easy to figure out at least a near-by postal code you could use.

Did you make an order mistake somewhere since you're asking? I can't guarantee it but it *should* be fine, as long as the rest of the info is correct. Dunno if they sort mail by postal code though, so maybe it'll take slightly longer.

Ah, ok!
No, I didn't make an order though. I was looking at some things where Japanese zip codes were mentioned, and I started looking them up a bit to try to understand how they worked, but couldn't find as much information as I wanted to in order to understand it that deeply.

I recently started learning about the diferent parts that Japan is divided into, however I never went this in depth into it. And now learning how Japanese addresses works more is really interesting to me. I don't live in Japan, though, so I realize that I probably should have mentioned that.

Thank you very much for all of the detailed help you've given me! I really appreciate it!

KillGore

I know the OP mentions it but is it really possible to go to Japan without knowing the language? What about outside the capital?

Thinking of going this year but I'm unsure if I should go with a tour or by ourselves. Honestly? I would prefer without a tour. I prefer to go by our schedule, instead of someone else's but I'm afraid the lack of communication will make it near impossible, at least outside of Tokyo.

I'm going to try and learn some phrases. I wish I could learn the language, but Kanji seems impossible to learn. Would be a lot easier if I only needed to learn Katakana and Hiragana.

I'm an expert

I know the OP mentions it but is it really possible to go to Japan without knowing the language? What about outside the capital?

Thinking of going this year but I'm unsure if I should go with a tour or by ourselves. Honestly? I would prefer without a tour. I prefer to go by our schedule, instead of someone else's but I'm afraid the lack of communication will make it near impossible, at least outside of Tokyo.

I'm going to try and learn some phrases. I wish I could learn the language, but Kanji seems impossible to learn. Would be a lot easier if I only needed to learn Katakana and Hiragana.

If you only plan to do the typical tourist stuff, you will be fine.

The travel to Japan OT is here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539079

You'll be fine without knowing any Japanese. And go by yourself, not with a tour.

KillGore

kubus

Ok you know what, I'll go to the GAF meet up after all :D It'll be nice to meet some new people. I won't be able to hang around after the robot show though, due to dumb curfew rules at my dorm.

Just want to make sure I pick the right time with the Robot Show booking-- it's the one at 19:50 right?

(Btw I'll be there at Shabu shabu too. Have no idea what it is but whatever, it sounds good lol)

Ok you know what, I'll go to the GAF meet up after all :D It'll be nice to meet some new people. I won't be able to hang around after the robot show though, due to dumb curfew rules at my dorm.

Just want to make sure I pick the right time with the Robot Show booking-- it's the one at 19:50 right?

(Btw I'll be there at Shabu shabu too. Have no idea what it is but whatever, it sounds good lol)

Yes. It's the 19:50 one.

How many are going to the meetup this time?

6 people from GAF + 2 extra people so far.

Resilient

Can't remember to well, but did you guys do a TGS meet-up last year? I have to take leave off work at some point so thinking I may as well capitalise on cheap flights at present, and hit up Tokyo for a week. Not really gonna influence my decision, but was curious.

Actually, for those who have been to TGS, is it really worth it? I'm only really thinking of doing this because 1. I need a week off from work and 2. It's cheap at the moment. I don't have any current plans to travel elsewhere at the moment - like I said, I wanna capitalise on the cheap flights at the moment.

Jintor

depends how good your japanese is really... I don't know how worth it turning up just for the 'spectacle' would be since you wouldn't understand 70-80% of it.

unless someone else is paying for you to go, in which case, woo.

of course i went maybe three years ago when japanese gaming was essentially dead and the most exciting thing announced was asura's wrath. this year there'll probably be persona at least!

urfe

You don't need to know Japanese to play tons of game demos.

To me the only issue with TGS is the massive amount of people. Makes me like going only for about 45 min, and only because I live about 15 minutes away.

Resilient

depends how good your japanese is really... I don't know how worth it turning up just for the 'spectacle' would be since you wouldn't understand 70-80% of it.

unless someone else is paying for you to go, in which case, woo.

of course i went maybe three years ago when japanese gaming was essentially dead and the most exciting thing announced was asura's wrath. this year there'll probably be persona at least!

Eh, my reading and writing is at a decent level, and my listening is not too bad. But, I'm at the stage in my learning where I'm just trying to learn as many new words as I can (vocab building).

I totally forgot about P5, so yea I'm probably gonna book my tickets tonight lol.

Resilient

how much are you getting out of those game demos though? especially jrpgs and text-heavy stuff like that.

If I was 10 and had a chance to play, say, KH2 early at TGS, I'd be one happy kid.

I'm more interested in conferences/presentations there, but I don't know how many run on the Public days, and for what topics and stuff.

Think I might just do it anyway tho. Jintor, are you living in Japan atm?

Jintor

JET mainly. Wanted to spend a year or two overseas after uni but before actually having to do proper work.

Gonna fark around for a year or two, try and get reasonably fluent at Japanese (I think it's happening!!!) and then bugger off somewhere else

Top Bottom