• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

dani_dc

it's just meat hotpot

they heat a thing of water in front of you

toss stuff in there

eat it

delicious

That sounds pretty great, I'll look forward to it!

Can't remember to well, but did you guys do a TGS meet-up last year? I have to take leave off work at some point so thinking I may as well capitalise on cheap flights at present, and hit up Tokyo for a week. Not really gonna influence my decision, but was curious.

Actually, for those who have been to TGS, is it really worth it? I'm only really thinking of doing this because 1. I need a week off from work and 2. It's cheap at the moment. I don't have any current plans to travel elsewhere at the moment - like I said, I wanna capitalise on the cheap flights at the moment.

Man, I'm really bummed that I'll be missing TGS for a few weeks.

Mik2121

So... Nintendo is partnering with Universal to do attractions! With Universal Studios Japan here in Osaka, can't wait to see what they d...

... looks at USJ area in Google Maps ...

...shit, where would they even build it? With the Harry Potter area occupying all the parking stuff they had available, where would anything go here!?
It'd be awesome if they bought some of the shit nearby, and also tried to hide the goddamn highways nearby. It sucks being in their "world" and then seeing goddamn cars driving on the back :/

kubus

Soo where do we all meet up tomorrow? I'm guessing around 17:20 in front of that Shabu Shabu place? I still don't have a data sim so won't be able to easily check the thread tomorrow once I leave :p

Soo where do we all meet up tomorrow? I'm guessing around 17:20 in front of that Shabu Shabu place? I still don't have a data sim so won't be able to easily check the thread tomorrow once I leave :p

Ok. For those joining the meetup tomorrow, we can meet in front of the Humax (It has a big sign that says Humax on it as well) building Mo Mo Paradise is in, from about 17:20 near this statue:
8sS5xb4.jpg

It's on the south-east corner of the building. If you're walking in from Kabukicho:

Then the statue is just straight ahead from there. If you're not walking in from Kabukicho, then it's the side that's closest to the Toho building with the big Godzilla head on top.

At 17:30 we'll go up, so if you're late then just take the elevator up to the 8th floor and ask for the Mr. Gurren party.

dani_dc

Doubtful. Probably not that great of a pay either. You can probably find more answers on Google than this thread, to be honest.

I have no idea how reliable the info is, but I was told by a few people working in Tokyo in that type of job that there's some demand for Software engineers.

Regarding the pay, I'd say that depends on standards, I'm being paid more for my internship (177000 yens per month) than anyone I know who has a full time job in this industry back in Portugal (800-1000 euros before taxes), and I'm basically being paid just living expenses.
You do need to account for the difference in living expenses in both countries, but 800-1000 isn't exactly much in Portugal either, I doubt I'd have a better quality of life in Portugal while being paid that much.

Of course Portugal is no example for salaries for software developers, you can easily get the same job while being payed more in several other countries, so your millage might vary.

To add to that a coworker of mine at my internship got a job offer that would pay around twice as much as what we're being paid.
I have no idea how that compares to the standard salaries in Tokyo/Japan, but that's definitively better than anything back home.

But honestly, the best thing to do is really to follow Ayumi advice and look around google to see what shows up.

urfe

I don't recall meetup pics ever being posted, since they should be approved by everyone involved. So don't get your hopes up!

I like that attitude. I like good drinks without the worry of being all over the net the next day.

But I hope all are having fun! This rain is crazy.

Mik2121

You guys keep doing so much stuff in Tokyo and absolutely nothing in Osaka, what's the deal?
Anyway yeah crazy rain here as well today, but now it's gone thankfully!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Used to have to go to Matsue for clients. Your girl got quite the inaka placement. Still, Tottori dunes summer bash and Hiroshima are nearby. Good luck.

Aizo

Banned
Super Inaka, huh. I feel a bit nervous that I won't be within 2 hours of a city with a population of at least 500,000. Probably move eastward after a year.

urfe

So, I guess I'll be moving to Izumo, Shimane in July. Anyone on GAF nearby?

Sounds peaceful. When I came a teacher, I was supposed to get Toyama, and that got changed in training to Chiba (right beside Tokyo).

I wonder what life would've been like if it had been Toyama.

Aizo

Banned
Somewhere in 九州, or are you telling me to move to China? haha
Sounds peaceful. When I came a teacher, I was supposed to get Toyama, and that got changed in training to Chiba (right beside Tokyo).

I wonder what life would've been like if it had been Toyama.
We were hoping for placement in Kanagawa or Chiba or something. I just don't imagine I'll be going to many concerts, which isn't something I'm too ecstatic about.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lol, nothing funnier than the alts that thought they'd get some Tokyo area placement.

I meant the 9.

Aizo

Banned
We didn't expect we'd get it. We did expect that we'd get Himeji, because we had a good reason to be placed there, but JET's pretty random.

What do you like about 9州?

I'm an expert

We didn't expect we'd get it. We did expect that we'd get Himeji, because we had a good reason to be placed there, but JET's pretty random.

What do you like about 9州?

it's like a different country, you'll see

urfe

Lol, nothing funnier than the alts that thought they'd get some Tokyo area placement.

I meant the 9.

Quite a few do get placed in Kanto to I'd say. Assuming a lot of schools in Tokyo proper use dispatch companies too.

I liked Kagoshima, and got nothing from Fukuoka. My wife loves Miyazaki and Oita.

Aizo

Banned
I know i'm an expert is just going to laugh at me, but I'm having trouble finding work in Shimane. Kinda stressing out.

Top Bottom