• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Ayumi

長い・・・

エレベーター止まった\(^o^)/

ここも!いつも怖いだね
地震死ね

Again, this felt just like the other one to me (I'm on the 18th floor of a tall/narrow building).
First I felt a very small but kinda long one. When it stopped I just went "phew" and then OH GOD I AM GONNA DIE. Hid under my desk. ; w ;

2 massive ones in 1 week.. I wonder what's next.

Was nice knowing you all, RIP JapanGAF.

Mik2121

ここも!いつも怖いだね
地震死ね

Again, this felt just like the other one to me (I'm on the 18th floor of a tall/narrow building).
First I felt a very small but kinda long one. When it stopped I just went "phew" and then OH GOD I AM GONNA DIE. Hid under my desk. ; w ;

I'm bad with quakes but I think you beat me at it :p
I hope no quakes hit the Kansai area anytime soon.

Neph1x

Neo Member
ここも!いつも怖いだね
地震死ね

Think I'd be more worried if there hadn't been any earthquakes for a while tbh. :p

Ayumi

I'm bad with quakes but I think you beat me at it :p
I hope no quakes hit the Kansai area anytime soon.

You might laugh but (like I mentioned here before), I have an actual earthquake phobia.
Ironic living in Japan, but what can you do? Am I supposed to leave my family and move to another country because of a silly fear? wwww

My point is: I CRY. When massive ones like these happens, しょうがない ( ´Д`)

I always seem to be in tall buildings where it feels the strongest.
Really wonder how different the huge ones feel like on ground level.

dani_dc

Ironic living in Japan, but what can you do? Am I supposed to leave my family and move to another country because of a silly fear? wwww

Chances are there'd be a big earthquake on your new country soon after you arrived anyway~

You might laugh but (like I mentioned here before), I have an actual earthquake phobia.

My point is: I CRY. When massive ones like these happens, しょうがない ( ´Д`)

I always seem to be in tall buildings where it feels the strongest.
Really wonder how different the huge ones feel like on ground level.

I don't think it's odd to have a earthquake phobia considering they can be pretty scary and extremely devastating, as far as phobias goes I'd say that's one of the logical ones.

To be fair, I'd feel safer on a tall building than on my not-so-tall sharehouse, the earthquake might be much more noticeable up there, but I imagine the tall buildings were built with better safety standards.

Ayumi

I don't think it's odd to have a earthquake phobia considering they can be pretty scary and extremely devastating, as far as phobias goes I'd say that's one of the logical ones.

To be fair, I'd feel safer on a tall building than on my not-so-tall sharehouse, the earthquake might be much more noticeable up there, but I imagine the tall buildings were built with better safety standards.

It's just kinda funny I get "Why do you still live in Japan if you're scared of earthquakes?"

Yeah, I know what you mean. This building is only a year old so even a new 3/11 should be safe (aside from getting beaten up by the actual furniture). It's just that you never really know how strong it'll be when you feel it lurking. And what creeps me out is when you can actually HEAR the earthquake in your walls a few seconds before the shaking comes.

Well, not like we live in tsunami dangerzones (at least not any Gaffer I know of).

Wubby

Didn't feel a thing down here in Shizuoka...

That one was really deep too. Lots of movement going on under Japan. Really wonder if we'll see Hakkone pop off or if that quake just relieved the pressure. Would be interesting to see Fuji go. A lot of dormant volcano activity going on.

Also weird I just saw a video on youtube yesterday and the guy predicted there would be a big quake coming after that last volcano eruption.

Edit: Actually it looks like this one replaces the previous record holder for the deepest earthquake ever (since measuring began anyway). Previous record was 609km deep, this one was 677km deep! Definitely I would be prepared for something else to happen for the next few days.

dani_dc

It's just kinda funny I get "Why do you still live in Japan if you're scared of earthquakes?"

Yeah, I know what you mean. This building is only a year old so even a new 3/11 should be safe (aside from getting beaten up by the actual furniture). It's just that you never really know how strong it'll be when you feel it lurking. And what creeps me out is when you can actually HEAR the earthquake in your walls a few seconds before the shaking comes.

Well, not like we live in tsunami dangerzones (at least not any Gaffer I know of).

People can be simple minded at times when reacting to such statements.

Furniture (and computers) is really my big fear if a big earthquake happens while I'm at work. My coworker went under the table desk when the eartquake from a few days ago happened, but with the amount of hardware that are under (and over) the desk I'd honestly feel more unsafe under it than trying to get to a more open space on the office.

I haven't had that experience the sound before the earthquake, I can imagine that being really terrifying.

Hopefully Negishima area would be safe from a Tsunami, it looks like that would be the case looking at a map, but I have no idea what the potential reach of a Tsunami is.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The thing that got me with yesterday is we got hit with a 4 that lead straight into the 5 (as felt here in Suginami-ku) and the lenght of the shaking .... it reminded me of the 3/11 one where it just kept getting worse but , thankfully, without the strength of 3/11

After the Kagoshima volcano exploding, the previous decent quake on monday i'm slightly paranoid.

Ayumi

Apparently it was M8.5, and thankfully far away in the ocean. Imagine if it was closer to the coast... Would have been almost like 3/11.

dani_dc

I don't know what they put inside the trains, but I actually managed to fall asleep while standing inside of one today.
At least for the whole second before my left leg failed me and I woke up half way to the ground.

Apparently it was M8.5, and thankfully far away in the ocean. Imagine if it was closer to the coast... Would have been almost like 3/11.
Yeah, when I saw the number it was somewhat of a shock. Good thing that it was not just so far away but also so deep.

Ayumi

I don't know what they put inside the trains, but I actually managed to fall asleep while standing inside of one today.
At least for the whole second before my left leg failed me and I woke up half way to the ground.

Perhaps some kind of sleep gas that doesn't affect Japanese's inner mind train alarm system going off when their stop is there. ww

dani_dc

Perhaps some kind of sleep gas that doesn't affect Japanese's inner mind train alarm system going off when their stop is there. ww

If only I had the same inner alarm as Japanese people =(
Being afraid of looping around the Yamanote line for a couple hours is the one thing stopping me from falling asleep at times.

Hey does anyone here have experience as a CIR with JET? It seems like a cool job and I'm interested in finding out more information so I can apply next round.

If only I had the same inner alarm as Japanese people =(
Being afraid of looping around the Yamanote line for a couple hours is the one thing stopping me from falling asleep at times.

Some of my friends time their train ride and use a phone alarm to wake up. Somehow personally though I just naturally seem to wake up a few stops before I need to get off. Never even felt the need to sleep on transport before moving to Japan :/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hey does anyone here have experience as a CIR with JET? It seems like a cool job and I'm interested in finding out more information so I can apply next round.

Haven't seen you in a while. Thought you had already moved to Japan. A lot of my closest friends over the years were CIRs throughout various prefectures and I've handled interviews/selection for them at the NYC consulate. What did you want to know that isn't already public knowledge?

Thriller

Hey guys, since I havent had an answer in the travel to japan thread I would like to ask if someone in Japan could enquire if this would be a problem, I would be VERY grateful!

So I ordered two Japan Rail Pass vouchers for my dad and myself and I took extra care that all our names and information were complete (because we all know how punctual Japanese people can be) and then this happens.

My full name is Hendrik Johannis Isaäc Blok but on my voucher it says the following : Hendrik Johannis Isa Blok.

I am nervous because the "äc" wasn't put down to paper, could someone ask at a JR place if this is going to be an issue?

The lady of the office said that I shouldn't be worried but that's easy for her to say. She also suggested me purchasing a voucher again (another 336 Euros) so that they will do it again (I will get a refund for the faulty one of course but I have to send it back to Paris which will cost me time and money).

I told her that I was at a loss how they think that I can trust them if they can not do it correctly the first time.

What is your opinion on my situation? And wouldn't it have been easier if I just wrote down Hendrik Blok and if I would have left out my other names (which I was nervous to do because I am afraid of Japanese punctuality).

Ayumi

Your first and last name match so it shouldn't be a problem at all. Middle names aren't a Japanese thing anyway, so I'm pretty sure you can disregard mistakes between. You're not the first person to worry about this, and it turned out fine for others.

Of course I can't promise you anything, but I'm 99% sure it will be just fine. It's obvious it is your name.

urfe

I would say no problem. They rarely look at the rail passes usually, and they definitely don't check them up with other id.

I would say no problem. They rarely look at the rail passes usually, and they definitely don't check them up with other id.

He's talking about the exchange order, not the JR Pass itself. They do check the passport when exchanging that for the JR Pass.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
So my gf will be in Tokyo in a few days and she is really into ball jointed dolls. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good place for her to go?

Haven't seen you in a while. Thought you had already moved to Japan. A lot of my closest friends over the years were CIRs throughout various prefectures and I've handled interviews/selection for them at the NYC consulate. What did you want to know that isn't already public knowledge?

To be honest I've come and gone :p I'm back in my home country finishing the research element of my degree. Decided to avoid the interest as much as possible while I was there and focus on studying, so I haven't been around much.

I dunno, the information I've found is generally pretty vague, although working on cultural events, translation, in schools really appeals. Does the work you end up doing vary a lot depending on where you are placed?

In Japan due to names being written in kanjis I think most computer systems have been designed to hold a very limited amount of characters as it was more than enough at the time, so it's quite normal.

My driving license and bank accounts have my name cut right in the middle and it seems to be okay with everyone here.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
In Japan due to names being written in kanjis I think most computer systems have been designed to hold a very limited amount of characters as it was more than enough at the time, so it's quite normal.

My driving license and bank accounts have my name cut right in the middle and it seems to be okay with everyone here.
This reminds me that my full name on my bank account being 1 character too long was the only reason I wasn't able to get the Rakuten CC. They had to match perfectly so I was getting some weird error and Rakuten doesn't offer CC support for people who don't have the card.

DCharlie

yeah, i don't use my middle name here but my japanese/portuguese wife does and it's a non-stop endlesses barrel of disaster. :/

dani_dc

When I went to the Imperial Palace the guard there spent a few minutes looking at my name since it was written as "First name, middle name, last name" on the form but "Middle Name, last Name, First name" on my residence card.
He didn't seem convinced I was the same person.

Some of my friends time their train ride and use a phone alarm to wake up. Somehow personally though I just naturally seem to wake up a few stops before I need to get off. Never even felt the need to sleep on transport before moving to Japan :/

I've considered it, but considering I never hear any type of sound from phones on trains, I feel that it would be extremely rude of me to do so.

I would occasionally feel like sleeping in the train back in Portugal, but it wasn't anywhere near as usual as here in Japan.

Thriller

yeah, i don't use my middle name here but my japanese/portuguese wife does and it's a non-stop endlesses barrel of disaster. :/

This does notfill me with confidence.. I dont use my middle names but I added them to be punctual, now someone's horrible computer system is screwing me up.

Some people say it might be okay others have had less positive experiences :( What am I to do T_T

Mik2121

This does notfill me with confidence.. I dont use my middle names but I added them to be punctual, now someone's horrible computer system is screwing me up.

Some people say it might be okay others have had less positive experiences :( What am I to do T_T

I'm from Spain so I use two last names. Now that is messy sometimes, as a lot of people think one of them is my middle name. Either way, I just type it the way it's meant to be and it gets cut ALL the time, yet I've never had a single big issue, if only a couple times where they asked me to add the missing bits with a pen, or something similar.

I'd say don't worry.

oh man yeah :/ on documents with my first middle and last name I'd get people calling me by literally any of those names, or weird pronunciations of those names (It's RIGHT THERE in katakana, why are you pronouncing all the vowels wrong?). Plus the bank I registered to accidentally spelled my name differently (one of the kana was made small), and I spent months pulling my hair out trying to figure out why all my forms to let my rent be taken out of my account automatically kept coming back as incorrect. Never using my middle name on anything in Japan ever again.

kubus

I've noticed that omiyage is a big deal in Japan so I'm trying to buy stuff for everyone when I go somewhere (my poor wallet). I'm still kind of confused though, even after reading countless of articles on omiyage buying/gifting.

Everytime I go shopping for omiyage everything is packed in beautifully decorated boxes or cute cookie tins with pretty illustrations on it. Inside there's usually a number of individually wrapped cookies or candy or whatever the food item it is. Are you supposed to buy a box or tin like that, take out the individual items and then hand that out to your friends/colleagues/etc and keep the box/tin for yourself? Or are those tins supposed to be given like that to, for example, someone very important and the packaging is part of the gift?

Everytime I received omiyage it looked like something that came from a bigger box or tin so I assumed everyone just bought those boxes and took out the contents but I'm not so sure anymore and I don't want to offend anyone.

Ayumi

I've noticed that omiyage is a big deal in Japan so I'm trying to buy stuff for everyone when I go somewhere (my poor wallet). I'm still kind of confused though, even after reading countless of articles on omiyage buying/gifting.

Everytime I go shopping for omiyage everything is packed in beautifully decorated boxes or cute cookie tins with pretty illustrations on it. Inside there's usually a number of individually wrapped cookies or candy or whatever the food item it is. Are you supposed to buy a box or tin like that, take out the individual items and then hand that out to your friends/colleagues/etc and keep the box/tin for yourself? Or are those tins supposed to be given like that to, for example, someone very important and the packaging is part of the gift?

Everytime I received omiyage it looked like something that came from a bigger box or tin so I assumed everyone just bought those boxes and took out the contents but I'm not so sure anymore and I don't want to offend anyone.

It mostly depends on the omiyage/package but usually you're supposed to give the whole thing (which is why it's wrapped so nicely). But if you buy a huge one with 30 cookies and want to repack, you should get that wrapped nicely on its own. Depending on the original package and the individual packages, it might look like you're just handing over leftovers. lol

kubus

It mostly depends on the omiyage/package but usually you're supposed to give the whole thing (which is why it's wrapped so nicely). But if you buy a huge one with 30 cookies and want to repack, you should get that wrapped nicely on its own. Depending on the original package and the individual packages, it might look like you're just handing over leftovers. lol
That's crazy! I bought some Disney Easter egg omiyage with some candy inside (pic, it's the set on the bottom) and just gave one of them to everyone one of my roommates. Also bought a small cookie tin with about 8 cookies inside, each wrapped in a nice Disney wrapper design which I planned to hand out to some other people at school. I can't imagine giving one of those boxes to every one of my friends o_o. They're like 800 yen each! Not to mention the weight and size I would've had to carry around, lol.

The cashier gave me 10 small plastic bags so maybe I'll just put the cookies into individual bags and give it like that... >_<

Maybe I was looking at the wrong kind of omiyage and I should've bought smaller individual items instead of boxes. I guess the larger tins and nicely packaged boxes are omiyage you give to a well respected person like your host family or your boss, and you can give smaller items to friends/coworkers?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
That's crazy! I bought some Disney Easter egg omiyage with some candy inside (pic, it's the set on the bottom) and just gave one of them to everyone one of my roommates. Also bought a small cookie tin with about 8 cookies inside, each wrapped in a nice Disney wrapper design which I planned to hand out to some other people at school. I can't imagine giving one of those boxes to every one of my friends o_o. They're like 800 yen each! Not to mention the weight and size I would've had to carry around, lol.

The cashier gave me 10 small plastic bags so maybe I'll just put the cookies into individual bags and give it like that... >_<

Maybe I was looking at the wrong kind of omiyage and I should've bought smaller individual items instead of boxes. I guess the larger tins and nicely packaged boxes are omiyage you give to a well respected person like your host family or your boss, and you can give smaller items to friends/coworkers?
You don't give whole boxes to all your classmates/coworkers/club members, that would be crazy. The whole point is that one-two boxes should be enough for a group you want to share with.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Middle names are so pointless. Glad I don't have to deal with that shit.

To be honest I've come and gone :p I'm back in my home country finishing the research element of my degree. Decided to avoid the interest as much as possible while I was there and focus on studying, so I haven't been around much.

I dunno, the information I've found is generally pretty vague, although working on cultural events, translation, in schools really appeals. Does the work you end up doing vary a lot depending on where you are placed?

It'll of course vary depending on placement, but there are plenty of similarities. You're usually placed in some sort of city/tourist office of the prefecture and help with day to day translation for tourists, the local JETs, any type of website/newspaper/magazine the prefecture might run, and other community activities. There are other CIR positions that are meant for very specific situations, like personal assistants/liasons for certain groups or people, but these were usually placed by people from specific countries like Germany or South Africa, usually the sister city of wherever you are. Those ones were the ones more detached from the whole ALT scene, though even regular CIRs were quite outside the circle (why I'm friends with them).

The main CIR participates in the welcome/training session for the JETs and is sort of a lifeline for the ALT as well as the BoE if something is up. Each prefecture I lived in the JETs did some sort of big activity or event that they were known for, so usually CIRs help with the logistics of that. If you google around you'll see certain prefectures run things like sports tournaments, parties, musicals, etc. The Awaji soccer tournament was a personal favorite. In the end though, you'll probably be helping a bunch of halfdrunk JETs with mundane stupid shit that they should be able to do by themselves but of course can't. I think most prefectures had lines for depression too so yeah, enjoy that.

If anything though, be confident in your J-go. I only met one CIR that wasn't good at it and it was clear how bad her experience was because she couldn't keep up. The others I met were always very proficient. Similarly, for interviews we could tell immediately who the self-study anime nerd trying to sneak into a CIR spot was. The J-go interview isn't hard but there's a clear difference between those who know what CLAIR wants and doesn't want.

Ayumi

I think it's perfectly fine for that kind of packaging (it looks super cute too!). But I mean if you buy a box of cakes/cookies and they are all wrapped inside transparent paper it seems kinda weird to randomly hand them over to people (even if you get some kind of bag for it). You could also mix stuff in a bag, like buy 3 big boxes (for instance) and mix the all into smaller bags so it looks like you put more thought into it (rather than giving a single cookie wrapped in transparent plastic).

You don't have to buy huge boxes and stuff for everyone! For friends I think it's fine if you share a box (like if you're all hanging you and you open it/let them take a piece). No one really expects you to give them a 1000 yen box of omiyage. Good to save for your boss/authority, like you said.

PillarEN

Hey Japan GAF. Pardon me if my question is not suitable for this thread but I think you guys would be more knowledgeable than Japan Travel GAF.

I was curious to know how is the skiing/snowboarding in Japan? I understand that most of it takes place around the Nagano area and in Hokkaido yes? Do any of you have experience with the slopes? How do they compare to say the Alps or Rocky Mountains?

I'm planning on moving to Japan later in 2016 and if the skiing is actually worth it I'd try to be closer to those areas. So just wanted to know your thoughts on that.

dani_dc

So, I have a doubt regarding the NHS, me and a few of my coworkers signed up for NHS when we arrived in March, but so far we only got a single letter to pay the NHS (during April), which we paid at a Conbini, and nothing since then. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Your new icon threw me off the loop, thought you were a new user before I started reading the post.

I honestly thought you were a different user until I started reading the post.

Ayumi

Hey Japan GAF. Pardon me if my question is not suitable for this thread but I think you guys would be more knowledgeable than Japan Travel GAF.

I was curious to know how is the skiing/snowboarding in Japan? I understand that most of it takes place around the Nagano area and in Hokkaido yes? Do any of you have experience with the slopes? How do they compare to say the Alps or Rocky Mountains?

I'm planning on moving to Japan later in 2016 and if the skiing is actually worth it I'd try to be closer to those areas. So just wanted to know your thoughts on that.
Ski resorts aren't open during the entire year (usually Dec-March, Nov-May depending on weather/snow), so I honestly see no point in moving closer to the north only because of that? Besides, you might get bored of rural/rural-ish Japan!

You can live in lower parts of Japan and get to Hokkaido (for instance) very fast and easy, thanks for transport like Shinkansen. What do you plan on doing in Japan as for job, if I may ask? Most companies give people long and dreadful days, you might not find yourself with enough time to go skiiing. D:

So, I have a doubt regarding the NHS, me and a few of my coworkers signed up for NHS when we arrived in March, but so far we only got a single letter to pay the NHS (during April), which we paid at a Conbini, and nothing since then. Is that how it's supposed to work?
I dunno NHS but it's not common to get payment confirmations in the mail/etc as they are done directly through the konbini. If the payment fails, the konbini won't accept it and they won't give you a receipt. So it's pretty instant. Why don't you just call?
QUOTE=dani_dc;166123048]Your new icon threw me off the loop, thought you were a new user before I started reading the post. [/QUOTE]
lol, sorry! I just got so tired of my old avatar. ; w ;

dani_dc

I dunno NHS but it's not common to get payment confirmations in the mail/etc as they are done directly through the konbini. If the payment fails, the konbini won't accept it and they won't give you a receipt. So it's pretty instant. Why don't you just call?

Oh, I think I misspoke.
I did get a receipt right as I paid, but I was under the impression that the NHS was monthly payments and so I was expecting to have gotten another letter to pay the new month by now. Was that wrong?

As for calling, I can't really communicate in Japanese unfortunately, my Japanese knowledge is broken and pretty fragmented.

lol, sorry! I just got so tired of my old avatar. ; w ;

No need to apologize, just took me a few seconds to get accustomed to it.
As long as it's still Usagi then all is right with the world!

And I do like the toast.

PillarEN

Ski resorts aren't open during the entire year (usually Dec-March, Nov-May depending on weather/snow), so I honestly see no point in moving closer to the north only because of that? Besides, you might get bored of rural/rural-ish Japan!

You can live in lower parts of Japan and get to Hokkaido (for instance) very fast and easy, thanks for transport like Shinkansen. What do you plan on doing in Japan as for job, if I may ask? Most companies give people long and dreadful days, you might not find yourself with enough time to go skiiing. D:
I'll be getting my foot in the door doing the ALT gig (finishing university in December) so I think I'll have quite a bit more time than the average salary man. Now, I understand I don't fully have say where I'll be but being a person who's always lived in snowy places Hokkaido (potentially Sapporo) is more than fine with me.
Don't want to sidetrack this thread with this stuff but yeah. That's my short term plan in Japan.

Ayumi

I'll be getting my foot in the door doing the ALT gig (finishing university in December) so I think I'll have quite a bit more time than the average salary man. Now, I understand I don't fully have say where I'll be but being a person who's always lived in snowy places Hokkaido (potentially Sapporo) is more than fine with me.
Don't want to sidetrack this thread with this stuff but yeah. That's my short term plan in Japan.

You're not sidetracking! Anything-Japan goes. :3 Though we have a thread for travel, that's a bit different than your situation anyway.

I'm not sure what the common ALT/teacher schedule is like, but perhaps someone here can help you give you an image on how much time you should prepare to have on your hands. If you like cold winters and non-metropolitan areas, I say go for it. Never been to Hokkaido before, but North Akita and Aomori are gorgeous in the summer (and have insane amounts of snow in the winter). Should be a lot more bearable than Tokyo for instance, in the summer.

One of my good friends was an ALT in Hokkaido, she loved it and went snowboarding all the time. If you're doing JET I would guess Hokkaido is up there in popularity and thus harder to get your desired placement. But who knows.

Oh also every situation is different (lol) but ALTs have a looooooot of free time.

Oh also even if you don't teach in Hokkaido you must make absolutely sure you go to the Sapporo Yuki Matsuri.

DCharlie

I was curious to know how is the skiing/snowboarding in Japan?

though they are seasonal you can also strike out from Tokyo to Niigatta which makes it a lot easier/quicker.

PillarEN

Ah OK. Thanks for the info.

Last question. As a person who is very big into performing arts (music, theater, films) I take it the best places for that are probably Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, and Yokohama right? Especially when taking into account international acts.

Top Bottom