• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

It'll of course vary depending on placement, but there are plenty of similarities. You're usually placed in some sort of city/tourist office of the prefecture and help with day to day translation for tourists, the local JETs, any type of website/newspaper/magazine the prefecture might run, and other community activities. There are other CIR positions that are meant for very specific situations, like personal assistants/liasons for certain groups or people, but these were usually placed by people from specific countries like Germany or South Africa, usually the sister city of wherever you are. Those ones were the ones more detached from the whole ALT scene, though even regular CIRs were quite outside the circle (why I'm friends with them).

The main CIR participates in the welcome/training session for the JETs and is sort of a lifeline for the ALT as well as the BoE if something is up. Each prefecture I lived in the JETs did some sort of big activity or event that they were known for, so usually CIRs help with the logistics of that. If you google around you'll see certain prefectures run things like sports tournaments, parties, musicals, etc. The Awaji soccer tournament was a personal favorite. In the end though, you'll probably be helping a bunch of halfdrunk JETs with mundane stupid shit that they should be able to do by themselves but of course can't. I think most prefectures had lines for depression too so yeah, enjoy that.

If anything though, be confident in your J-go. I only met one CIR that wasn't good at it and it was clear how bad her experience was because she couldn't keep up. The others I met were always very proficient. Similarly, for interviews we could tell immediately who the self-study anime nerd trying to sneak into a CIR spot was. The J-go interview isn't hard but there's a clear difference between those who know what CLAIR wants and doesn't want.

Thanks, I really appreciate your info :) It sounds like a great job.

Weird question, but do you know what the hours are like? One of my concerns about applying for a Japanese job in general is the incredibly long work hours most of my friends working as salary men/women deal with. I guess one reason is that it just sounds burn-out level stressful, but also my partner (who does freelance work online) doesn't speak Japanese, and if I'm not home till 10pm on weeknights I think it might be pretty isolating for him.

I am a little concerned about my Japanese level. I feel fairly confident in translating/interpreting everyday things and my keigo isn't too bad if I'll need it for liaison work, but my vocabulary is admittedly pretty small and I'm only around N2 level.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'd shoot for level 1 proficiency no matter what. You seem to do a lot of written and verbal translation on the fly, meaning in public places to live people. I'm fairly sure the reason that girl hated it was she had to pass off to the other CIR everytime there was a live event because she just couldn't translate eloquently fast enough both ways, for example, a Q&A with a local official.

As for hours, that's probably the one thing not to worry about if you get JET. The contracts are very clear and there is no expectation to stay a single minute past your time. That's one of the things I had to hear incessantly over the years. I'll admit if you're a CIR you're most likely more in tuned with expectations and perceptions, so yes, I'm sure there are days you're staying longer than usual. To be fair, this is true for the ALT who does do things like clubs/sports/tutoring. So you can go above and beyond if you want. But it is most definitely not a salary man job. I'm confident in saying every CIR I knew finished usually around 530-6 every day. If anyhing I'd say for a CIR you're more on call than the ALT counterpart. For example during emergencies. A CIR is still JET though and not a real Japanese job. Not that I think a real Japanese job is staying till 10 every night lol.

Except in the case of extreme tryhards, JET is probably the easiest/most normal of any of the gigs in terms of schedule.

Dingens

so I've been living in Japan for almost a year now (first in Minato-ku, Tokyo for roughly 2 Months and now in Yokohama since mid September) and I've gotta ask... is this whole "talking to foreigners in English only" more of a Tokyo thing? since I came to Yokohama, that instantly stopped... I never really thought about it until yesterday when I had lunch at my old neighbourhood and was spoken to in English, even if I answered in Japanese. Felt kinda strange...
anyone with similar experiences?

I'd shoot for level 1 proficiency no matter what. You seem to do a lot of written and verbal translation on the fly, meaning in public places to live people. I'm fairly sure the reason that girl hated it was she had to pass off to the other CIR everytime there was a live event because she just couldn't translate eloquently fast enough both ways, for example, a Q&A with a local official.

As for hours, that's probably the one thing not to worry about if you get JET. The contracts are very clear and there is no expectation to stay a single minute past your time. That's one of the things I had to hear incessantly over the years. I'll admit if you're a CIR you're most likely more in tuned with expectations and perceptions, so yes, I'm sure there are days you're staying longer than usual. To be fair, this is true for the ALT who does do things like clubs/sports/tutoring. So you can go above and beyond if you want. But it is most definitely not a salary man job. I'm confident in saying every CIR I knew finished usually around 530-6 every day. If anyhing I'd say for a CIR you're more on call than the ALT counterpart. For example during emergencies. A CIR is still JET though and not a real Japanese job. Not that I think a real Japanese job is staying till 10 every night lol.

Except in the case of extreme tryhards, JET is probably the easiest/most normal of any of the gigs in terms of schedule.

Aaah I see. Hm, yeah. I'd be worried I'd end up in a similar position to that girl. Especially with my comprehension where it is now. Still though, six months till JLPT is a lot of time to study. And if I did get the position I wouldn't be starting for another year.

And that's awesome, seems like the hours are very reasonable. I assume with CIR work there would probably be some weekend/ outside regular hours events etc to do on occasion but I wouldn't be bothered by that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Honestly, you can pass jlpt1 sure, but I'd put my efforts into really just being able to flip the switch back and forth. Practice natural sounding construction and deconstruction of thoughts back and forth. I'm sure you've met people who try to speak Japanese the way they think in English and it really sounds awkward. They know the vocabulary but don't know the most natural way of putting it. It's like asking someone how are you and they respond I feel satisfactory.

I just think a lot of book study like jlpt trains your mind to think that way. When I finished it I was done with that kind of study. I never looked up a grammar point as an English definition again. Instead, understanding it in Japanese and how it's used let's you figure out the best way to communicate it and you assign the definition yourself.

Kinda the reason I ignore most of the help questions in this thread, because most people are looking for that perfect book interpretation and cant just accept that if they understand it, that's all the meaning they need.

So a friend of mine is going to visit me here in Fukuoka this month. He will stay for about a month and needs work done, so he will need a prepaid SIM card. I checked the OP, but all there is are SIM cards for data. He will probably need a prepaid Voice & Data SIM card. I'm on a 2 year SoftBank contract, so I don't really know about this stuff here in Japan and it seems rather complicated. What are my options, guys? Thanks in advance!

urfe

so I've been living in Japan for almost a year now (first in Minato-ku, Tokyo for roughly 2 Months and now in Yokohama since mid September) and I've gotta ask... is this whole "talking to foreigners in English only" more of a Tokyo thing? since I came to Yokohama, that instantly stopped... I never really thought about it until yesterday when I had lunch at my old neighbourhood and was spoken to in English, even if I answered in Japanese. Felt kinda strange...
anyone with similar experiences?

There may be people more accustomed to foreigners who don't speak Japanese in Tokyo, perhaps especially areas like Hiroo. I would have assumed many areas of Yokohama would be similar though.

It's sometimes hard to switch languages once your head is thinking a certain way. There's many situations a friend wants to speak English and I can't help but answer in Japanese unless I am really conscious.

Also, I'm assuming you mean Westerners, not foreigners.

dani_dc

So a friend of mine is going to visit me here in Fukuoka this month. He will stay for about a month and needs work done, so he will need a prepaid SIM card. I checked the OP, but all there is are SIM cards for data. He will probably need a prepaid Voice & Data SIM card. I'm on a 2 year SoftBank contract, so I don't really know about this stuff here in Japan and it seems rather complicated. What are my options, guys? Thanks in advance!
As far as I'm aware there's no such thing as prepaid Voice & Data in Japan (could he wrong though).
I'd recommend getting Prepaid Data SIM and a phone number via Skype.

Jintor

i think i hit another pocket of cultural fatigue this morning, i was just so done with japan. need a meat pie or fish and chips or goddamnit something

Honestly, you can pass jlpt1 sure, but I'd put my efforts into really just being able to flip the switch back and forth. Practice natural sounding construction and deconstruction of thoughts back and forth. I'm sure you've met people who try to speak Japanese the way they think in English and it really sounds awkward. They know the vocabulary but don't know the most natural way of putting it. It's like asking someone how are you and they respond I feel satisfactory.

I just think a lot of book study like jlpt trains your mind to think that way. When I finished it I was done with that kind of study. I never looked up a grammar point as an English definition again. Instead, understanding it in Japanese and how it's used let's you figure out the best way to communicate it and you assign the definition yourself.

Kinda the reason I ignore most of the help questions in this thread, because most people are looking for that perfect book interpretation and cant just accept that if they understand it, that's all the meaning they need.

Thanks for your advice.
Yeah, recently I'm finding it really helpful to have explanations for grammar in Japanese to be honest. It feels less janky and I don't end up misusing things because the explanation told me it was X in English. It's really hard trying to let go of wanting to understand 100% of everything all the time ><

i think i hit another pocket of cultural fatigue this morning, i was just so done with japan. need a meat pie or fish and chips or goddamnit something

There's probably some place closer to you, but there was a nice British owned pub in Sannomiya Kobe that apparently did very homely and authentic hot breakfasts and other food things.

I feel you Jint :( Some days you just need something from back home. I can send vegemite chocolate if you get desperate.

Theodran

I feel you, man. It's possible to answer the meat pie and fish & chips cravings with home cooked meals, but I've had a serious licorice craving for months. I finally caved in yesterday, having finished a bottle of white wine with my wife, when I went on Amazon.com and ordered a bunch of Scandinavian licorice candy.

urfe

How long have you been here?

Seems to hit people the worse between 3-5 months in my opinion.

English pubs aren't too too rare hopefully where you are. And all the Western dudes trying to get laid will make you hate your home country! *(^o^)/*

Jintor

English pubs aren't too too rare hopefully where you are. And all the Western dudes trying to get laid will make you hate your home country! *(^o^)/*

11 months this month i guess. Nearly up on a year soon... time flies.[*]

[*] except at work

As far as I'm aware there's no such thing as prepaid Voice & Data in Japan (could he wrong though).
I'd recommend getting Prepaid Data SIM and a phone number via Skype.
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I did some research on my own yesterday/today and that's pretty much the same solution I did come up with. Thank you for your time!

Dingens

There may be people more accustomed to foreigners who don't speak Japanese in Tokyo, perhaps especially areas like Hiroo. I would have assumed many areas of Yokohama would be similar though.

It's sometimes hard to switch languages once your head is thinking a certain way. There's many situations a friend wants to speak English and I can't help but answer in Japanese unless I am really conscious.

Also, I'm assuming you mean Westerners, not foreigners.

well I'm not particularly fond of the word "westerners" and try to avoid as much as I can... what I meant was, people who don't look Japanese, basically.
initially I also assumed that Yokohama would be similar to Tokyo, and yet people approach me in Japanese only, even in more tourist-y areas, where they usually ask me (in Japanese) if I'd like the English brochure instead of the Japanese one. That never happened in Tokyo...

thank god my home countries cuisine sucks. no craving at all...yet
although Japan could use an upgrade in regards to cakes and baked goods. I'm kinda sick of white bread.

well I'm not particularly fond of the word "westerners" and try to avoid as much as I can... what I meant was, people who don't look Japanese, basically.
initially I also assumed that Yokohama would be similar to Tokyo, and yet people approach me in Japanese only, even in more tourist-y areas, where they usually ask me (in Japanese) if I'd like the English brochure instead of the Japanese one. That never happened in Tokyo...

thank god my home countries cuisine sucks. no craving at all...yet
although Japan could use an upgrade in regards to cakes and baked goods. I'm kinda sick of white bread.
Well, that's Tokyo. It still baffles me to no end why people wanna live there.
Try to find a German/Austrian bakery if you like their bread. That's what I do. But the confectionery in Japan is pretty good imho.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Try to find a German/Austrian bakery if you like their bread. That's what I do. But the confectionery in Japan is pretty good imho.
Or just buy a baguette at a supermarket which tastes almost like regular bread.
I don't really get complaints about living in Tokyo - aside from dealing with overcrowded trains this place is awesome.

Or just buy a baguette at a supermarket which tastes almost like regular bread.
I don't really get complaints about living in Tokyo - aside from dealing with overcrowded trains this place is awesome.
Baguette is also white bread... D:
I'm originally from Germany, so from time to time I need bread like this: http://www.sonnen.jp

Tokyo is an awesome place - to visit only imho. My sister-in-law and her family live there so we visit them every now and then and for that amount of time it's okay. My biggest complaint is probably that the city never sleeps which I even notice while sleeping and all the noise which is everywhere and all the time. I can't really relax in Tokyo.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm originally from Germany, so from time to time I need bread like this: http://www.sonnen.jp

Tokyo is an awesome place - to visit only imho. My sister-in-law and her family live there so we visit them every now and then and for that amount of time it's okay. My biggest complaint is probably that the city never sleeps which I even notice while sleeping and all the noise which is everywhere and all the time. I can't really relax in Tokyo.
Oh, I thought that you meant the conbini toast-like slice bread, which is hardly food.
I'm from Poland and the bread there was the best I've ever had, so not being able to make proper sandwiches hurts. Same with no really good meat available in stores.

mmm, I agree. It's incredibly fun for about 3 days and then it gets super overwhelming. Living there just felt kind of.. claustrophobic and materialistic after a while. Nothing to do but spend money. I much preferred living on the mountain side in Kobe. Might just be the country girl in me.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Well, depends where you live, my town is very silent at night and even the day, residential areas are quite nice to live.

Dandte

I know that feel! Every time i spent more than 3 weeks in the US i get this urge to eat a good mehrkorn / vollkorn bread.
From Early august on i will be in Japan for 6 Weeks mainly living in osaka Tokio and sapporo. Should be a nice contrast.
But i don't See the possibility of getting a proper franzbrötchen :(

urfe

initially I also assumed that Yokohama would be similar to Tokyo, and yet people approach me in Japanese only, even in more tourist-y areas, where they usually ask me (in Japanese) if I'd like the English brochure instead of the Japanese one. That never happened in Tokyo

Mind explaining why you don't like the word Westener?

I much prefer it to foreigner.

Dingens

[...]

yes! that's exactly the kind of bread I've been looking for. gotta keep an eye out

granted, the confectionery is usually good. but for some reason it feels like most things are made from the same few ingredients... same kind of dough, same kind of cream...

Mind explaining why you don't like the word Westener?

I much prefer it to foreigner.

because it describes a non-existing made-up concept, excludes a whole lot of people (who are neither from "the west" nor look japanese), and is kinda discriminating in both ways (positive and negative) as it kinda implies that people from europe/the us/canada/australia/etc are the same. And I'm not ok with that.

I'm not sure which term I'd prefer... they are both unsatisfactory...
immigrant maybe? but that too has some bad connotation usually

Jubern

Sooooo... I don't know if you guys remember about my work-related woes, but I finally got the boot.
The boss recently decided that a whole lot of people were in the way and I've been the latest victim, being pretty much forced to quit.

Being jobless comes the 25th, I'm thinking about going back to my home country for a few weeks/a month time.
Here comes my question though: can I leave the country while I'm between jobs, or do I risk being refused reentry? I have a work visa that goes until next January.

Is there anyone here's that's been in this kind of situation? Not so much the being-forced-to-quit part, but leaving the country while being jobless.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo... I don't know if you guys remember about my work-related woes, but I finally got the boot.
The boss recently decided that a whole lot of people were in the way and I've been the latest victim, being pretty much forced to quit.

Being jobless comes the 25th, I'm thinking about going back to my home country for a few weeks/a month time.
Here comes my question though: can I leave the country while I'm between jobs, or do I risk being refused reentry? I have a work visa that goes until next January.

Is there anyone here's that's been in this kind of situation? Not so much the being-forced-to-quit part, but leaving the country while being jobless.

I imagine you'll be fine as long as you have the re-entry permit. I doubt they'll have a complete handle on your employment situation.

urfe

because it describes a non-existing made-up concept, excludes a whole lot of people (who are neither from "the west" nor look japanese), and is kinda discriminating in both ways (positive and negative) as it kinda implies that people from europe/the us/canada/australia/etc are the same. And I'm not ok with that.

I'm not sure which term I'd prefer... they are both unsatisfactory...
immigrant maybe? but that too has some bad connotation usually

I don't mean to drag this out if you don't want to talk about it, but do you mean Westerners don't exist, or have nothing in common? I think labels work depending on the country one is in, and my experience at Japanese language school is that major groups would be Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Westerner (Southeast Asian groups on the sharp rise recently). They're not strict definitions and I think Westerner is the least exclusive as a Chinese person who has lived in the West for 5-10 years would identify as Chinese and a Westerner.

I mainly like the word because as a person from a city that's majority "visible minority" (Canadian for non-White), Westerner is an inclusive term for visible minorities, which I feel is important in Japan where visible minorities are suddenly less Canadian than me in some people's eyes (a first generation German-Canadian).

Dingens

I don't mean to drag this out if you don't want to talk about it, but do you mean Westerners don't exist, or have nothing in common? I think labels work depending on the country one is in, and my experience at Japanese language school is that major groups would be Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean and Westerner (Southeast Asian groups on the sharp rise recently). They're not strict definitions and I think Westerner is the least exclusive as a Chinese person who has lived in the West for 5-10 years would identify as Chinese and a Westerner.

I mainly like the word because as a person from a city that's majority "visible minority" (Canadian for non-White), Westerner is an inclusive term for visible minorities, which I feel is important in Japan where visible minorities are suddenly less Canadian than me in some people's eyes (a first generation German-Canadian).

I don't mind, although maybe it's getting a little bit too off-topic? sorry in advance
you pretty much gave a good example yourself: other groups such as Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans etc are all independent people associated with one particular country usually, "westerners" or "the west" is an ancient construct, one that, in my opinion, overstayed it's welcome. Maybe it's due to my background that I'm not keen on this whole east/west split in the first place and would rather see it gone for good.

why I have a problem with the word west/westerner in general:
If you think about it, what does the term even mean? It surely isn't geographic as there are "western" countries in the south-east too - also some non-western countries in "the west". It's also not about skin colour, as there are a lot of countries run by "white people" that are not part of "the west". Is it about culture? not really, I'd argue that the cultural gap between European Countries and the US can be as big and in some instances even bigger than the one between Europe and say Japan, or heck even between European countries themselves. I guess some people would argue that it's a "community of values", although that hasn't been accurate for centuries if you look at the real world - don't get me even started on the "democracy" charade. The only thing in common is some kind of vague superiority complex, and that's not something I'd be particularly proud of...

why I have a problem with the word in regards to Japan:
US military bases and everything they stand for, basically.
This may be hard to understand for some... but I really don't want to be associated with the US and especially not with the US military here. And it's pretty hard to spell &#27431;&#31859;&#20154; without &#31859;... ;) that's why I'd prefer &#12520;&#12540;&#12525;&#12483;&#12497;&#20154;,&#27431;&#24030;&#20154; or something like that...
Also I think that you can have a visible minority without lumping together a bunch of big and smaller countries into one obtuse mess.

I don't expect you to understand my reasons, but I hope that made it a little bit clearer

I'm an expert

I haven't been unemployed.. ever.. and I haven't been on the work visa in a long time, and I know things have changed in the last few years, and I'm not just going to google the answer for you.. so take this as complete and utter bullshit advice.

You should still have to report your unemployment and address changes to your local visa office if you're on a work sponsored visa. That used to be the rule, it probably still is. They used to be fine with you being unemployed for a certain period of time, but with the obvious assumption that you're trying to become employed again. As for leaving the country, while you can certainly keep your mouth shut, I don't see the harm in letting the visa/city office know your plans to take a trip back home for a bit and then come back. They're not going to make you forfeit your visa on the spot, but they will probably again inquire what your plans are and if you plan to leave the country if you cannot find work.

I know the typical foreigner thing to do is say fuck it and do what you want, but just heading down to the office and asking these questions is the best bet. Again, you have to let them know you're unemployed anyway.

Jubern

Thanks for the answer guys. I'm of course not asking you guys to look for the answer for me: when I ask questions here you can be sure I've already done quite a bit a research. In this case, I was more looking for first hand experience :)

The city office thing is actually a very good advice, I didn't think about it. I'll check it this week and let you guys know how it turns out!

Dingens

Thanks for the answer guys. I'm of course not asking you guys to look for the answer for me: when I ask questions here you can be sure I've already done quite a bit a research. In this case, I was more looking for first hand experience :)

The city office thing is actually a very good advice, I didn't think about it. I'll check it this week and let you guys know how it turns out!

best of luck to you!

If you don't mind me asking, I'm quite curious about japans social security net (or the lack thereof?). what's the difference between being employed and being out of work? (besides the paycheck ofc). For example does you medical insurance premium go down? stuff like that...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

it's not to late to talk to an employment lawyer - technically if they are forcing you out then that's pretty much a no-no. They're doing that to avoid the severance which is protected under japanese law.

Also - as others have pointed out - you need to go register that you are without work. You would also be eligible for unemployment benefit (but be careful here - there's a few do's and don't if you've been working long term) and

I was technically unemployed for a few months due to a binding non-compete clause in contract before starting with my new firm, and yeah - you know all that tax that's calculated a year in advance? Comes on the slip that gives you the schedule? you're still going to have to pay. Also, if your company was paying your pension into a non-government scheme (like a 401k) then you need to decide whether to keep that scheme - if you don't, it lump sum defaults to your brand new Japanese pension scheme. You will also need to go apply for and get a pension book.

As for leaving the country on a working visa and then coming back in? Naa - it's fine as long as it's still within the valid date. I took a month off back in the UK as i don't get to see my family too often and spent some time doing some phone interviews/studying for a few qualifications. So as you have a valid visa until Jan 2016 , you have nothing to worry about - just make sure your reentry permit is up-to-date.

I can't really relax in Tokyo.

I've lived in a rural town in the UK where there was nothing, 4 UK Cities, and Tokyo (lived in 5 different areas) yet i feel most relaxed in Tokyo. Granted i walk literally everywhere, i avoid trains like the plague so that probably reduces at least some stress.

Jubern

best of luck to you!

If you don't mind me asking, I'm quite curious about japans social security net (or the lack thereof?). what's the difference between being employed and being out of work? (besides the paycheck ofc). For example does you medical insurance premium go down? stuff like that...

If you're employed, the company is supposed to handle the paperwork for health, employment, retirement and a few other things, which are deducted from your paycheck.

If the company isn't very good or you're unemployed (or, say, a student), then you want/need to register for national healthcare, which goes from dirt cheap if you're unemployed (like 1000 yens a month) to a whole lot more expensive depending on your stated income. Also, it only covers 70% of the price and isn't always quite effective.
Then again, this is coming from a French, who's never had to worry about health spendings!

In my case, the company never did anything for me with health care so I was always on national. Stopped received the payslips a few months ago though, so I'll be going to the city office pretty soon to check what's going on, now that I have the time...

it's not to late to talk to an employment lawyer - technically if they are forcing you out then that's pretty much a no-no. They're doing that to avoid the severance which is protected under japanese law.

Also - as others have pointed out - you need to go register that you are without work. You would also be eligible for unemployment benefit (but be careful here - there's a few do's and don't if you've been working long term) and

I was technically unemployed for a few months due to a binding non-compete clause in contract before starting with my new firm, and yeah - you know all that tax that's calculated a year in advance? Comes on the slip that gives you the schedule? you're still going to have to pay. Also, if your company was paying your pension into a non-government scheme (like a 401k) then you need to decide whether to keep that scheme - if you don't, it lump sum defaults to your brand new Japanese pension scheme. You will also need to go apply for and get a pension book.

As for leaving the country on a working visa and then coming back in? Naa - it's fine as long as it's still within the valid date. I took a month off back in the UK as i don't get to see my family too often and spent some time doing some phone interviews/studying for a few qualifications. So as you have a valid visa until Jan 2016 , you have nothing to worry about - just make sure your reentry permit is up-to-date.

I have already consulted a lawyer, and he basically told me that the outlook wasn't good for a few reasons, including the fact that my company stance is very hard and we'd likely need to go to trial : that's 6 to 12 months where I can't work.

Also, the company unfortunately do have grounds for dismissing me: my contract says that I am to work in Tokyo or "any place decided by the employer". That's what my employer used against me, saying I wouldn't move to Kyoto and thus that I was responsible for a breach of contract. This is true, but it is just an excuse as neither I nor my boss ever intended for me to go to Kyoto.
If I don't move but do not resign, they'll be able to fire me without having to pay a severance fee, and if I do accept to move the company isn't obliged to pay me a relocation package (there actually isn't any law about this) and will absolutely not, as they don't want me around anymore (like I said, the whole Kyoto angle is a pretext, it is personal).

I think that I'm unfortunately not eligible for any unemployment money either - I've been in the company for 6-7 months, which would usually be enough, but only registered me for employment insurance last month.
I think I might be eligible for some special financial support from Hello Work, who's handling my company employment insurance, but I'd have to act pretty quick after my last day of work and be here for a whole lot of steps - which I don't really want to as I have no idea when I'll have an opportunity to go back to my folks place (took 2 years and half last time, and was only able to stay for 6 days :/).

Note that I've never worked full time before coming to Japan 3 years ago and never had a position with stable income until 6 months ago, so I am learning the hard way about a whole lot of work-related things.

Thanks for your input on going out of the country - it is much appreciated as I spent a good part of the day trying to put some travel plans together lol

I'm an expert

Financial support from Hello Work is the unemployment insurance, they're the ones that distribute it based on your prior work's income. However, I'm pretty sure there was a minimum one year full time employed to receive the benefits. If you plan to continue to work and live in Japan you should really just buckle down and get employed, fuck going on trips.

Falch

First of all guys, this has been an invaluable source for me planning a trip to Japan.

My girlfriend and I are looking at a trip to Japan at the end of october/ begin of november (about 8 days without the travel to and fro our own country). We've never been to Japan. I've been reading that that's a good season to spend in an around Tokyo, is that true?

Right now we're looking at staying 2-3 days at in Tokyo, and spending 2 days at Hakone and then back to Tokyo for a couple of days. We've figured that there's plenty to see and do in Tokyo and our trip's a bit short to travel to other parts of the country. Is it worth to plan a day trip to Nikko and/or Kamakura?

I'm also trying to put together a list of things to do and see in Tokyo, trying for a mix of "oh my god first time in Tokyo I need to see this" and lesser know places. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm an expert

Have any you ever refused to pay the NHK door to door salesman?

Yes, plenty of times. It's not a big deal. Japanese people do it too. No one cares. They don't knock down your door and do an inspection. If you're feeling brave, invite them and point out how you only use your giant 50inch tv as a monitor for computing.

Aizo

Banned
Yes, plenty of times. It's not a big deal. Japanese people do it too. No one cares. They don't knock down your door and do an inspection. If you're feeling brave, invite them and point out how you only use your giant 50inch tv as a monitor for computing.

I just remembered talking to the guy and asking him what would happen if I didn't pay, and he essentially just told me that that isn't an option haha. Sounded like a threat. It's not like the UK where BBC is more serious about their pay, I guess.

I'm an expert

It's usually an agent on behalf of nhk wanting a cut. Actually dealing with nhk involves a contract. All nonsense anyway.

DCharlie

I have already consulted a lawyer, and he basically told me that the outlook wasn't good for a few reasons, including the fact that my company stance is very hard and we'd likely need to go to trial : that's 6 to 12 months where I can't work.

yes, but usually - if you are in "dispute" your existing company has to keep paying your salary. Might have been a missed point?

Also, the company unfortunately do have grounds for dismissing me: my contract says that I am to work in Tokyo or "any place decided by the employer". That's what my employer used against me, saying I wouldn't move to Kyoto and thus that I was responsible for a breach of contract. This is true, but it is just an excuse as neither I nor my boss ever intended for me to go to Kyoto.

ah - that's a bit of a bind :/

If I don't move but do not resign, they'll be able to fire me without having to pay a severance fee, and if I do accept to move the company isn't obliged to pay me a relocation package (there actually isn't any law about this) and will absolutely not, as they don't want me around anymore (like I said, the whole Kyoto angle is a pretext, it is personal).

wow - thats shadey :/

I think that I'm unfortunately not eligible for any unemployment money either - I've been in the company for 6-7 months, which would usually be enough, but only registered me for employment insurance last month.

yeah, i doubt your are and the finer points of insurance become less of a point :(

Note that I've never worked full time before coming to Japan 3 years ago and never had a position with stable income until 6 months ago, so I am learning the hard way about a whole lot of work-related things.

my hot tip would be to hit the career fairs - go talk to the people there. You can have a first round interview on the spot and some companies interview in English. There was one company who i wont name that i turned down and i still to this day wonder how it would have been to work for them - so find the Career cross/big site etc job fairs - they're pretty cool.

Thanks for your input on going out of the country - it is much appreciated as I spent a good part of the day trying to put some travel plans together lol

pm me - add me on linked in - i can help you as much as i can from there.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I recently went to Japan for 2 weeks and missed out on buying something I wanted to get. It was going to be a surprise for my GF as she absolutely loved it but we only saw it right before we were catching the train to the airport and I didn't get a chance to grab it.

It was in a shop called rooms shop in the shinjuku lumine shopping centre. It's a black shawl covered in little coloured skeletons (cost about 22K yen I think). She didn't want me to buy it for her as it was a little expensive. I had planned to get it when she walked away but just had no time.

Basically I'm trying to find out if there is anyone living in Tokyo who would be willing to try and find this for me. Id be happy to pay for it and even a bit extra as I would love to get it (I would pay before any purchase is made to avoid any problems).

If not that's alright but if anyone is interested in giving me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I thought that you meant the conbini toast-like slice bread, which is hardly food.
I'm from Poland and the bread there was the best I've ever had, so not being able to make proper sandwiches hurts. Same with no really good meat available in stores.
Yeah no, that stuff is garbage. On a side note, we usually try to buy bread without wheat flour whenever possible and only at bakeries which actually make bread - not sponge lol.
Yep. That and slices of cold cooked meats.

mmm, I agree. It's incredibly fun for about 3 days and then it gets super overwhelming. Living there just felt kind of.. claustrophobic and materialistic after a while. Nothing to do but spend money. I much preferred living on the mountain side in Kobe. Might just be the country girl in me.
Well, I'm originally from Munich, Germany. I love living in the city where I can access anything at any time - loosely speaking. My wife's hometown is somewhat within the Miyazaki prefecture area and I wouldn't be really able to live there for a long time. I think the reason why I love it here in Fukuoka is because it is quite similar to Munich. Big city, but still feels like a small town somehow. Sapporo is also very similar to that imho. Dunno, Tokyo is kind of... &#33510;&#12375;&#12356; imho.

Well, depends where you live, my town is very silent at night and even the day, residential areas are quite nice to live.
How far out of Tokyo city are we talking?

I know that feel! Every time i spent more than 3 weeks in the US i get this urge to eat a good mehrkorn / vollkorn bread.
From Early august on i will be in Japan for 6 Weeks mainly living in osaka Tokio and sapporo. Should be a nice contrast.
But i don't See the possibility of getting a proper franzbrötchen :(
Hehe, that urge just comes and goes, but it will never fade away completely. I can get pretty decent Weisswiarscht here in Fukuoka, so that's what I'm very happy about lol.

yes! that's exactly the kind of bread I've been looking for. gotta keep an eye out

granted, the confectionery is usually good. but for some reason it feels like most things are made from the same few ingredients... same kind of dough, same kind of cream...
If you are in Tokyo, I'm sure there are some nice German/Austrian bakeries which make bread the way it should be done :).
Well yeah, if you mean japanese bakeries, most of them do taste the same with some exceptions. Can't say the same about confectionery to be honest, but maybe I misunderstood you there.

I've lived in a rural town in the UK where there was nothing, 4 UK Cities, and Tokyo (lived in 5 different areas) yet i feel most relaxed in Tokyo. Granted i walk literally everywhere, i avoid trains like the plague so that probably reduces at least some stress.
Fair enough! More power to you if you feel good living there I guess. It's not a Tokyo shitparade by any means, just my personal experience. Fukuoka's rush hour is already annoying enough, even it takes me only 10 minutes subway ride and 10 minutes walking until the office :D.

Damn, wish you all the best, mate!

DCharlie

Fair enough! More power to you if you feel good living there I guess. It's not a Tokyo shitparade by any means, just my personal experience. Fukuoka's rush hour is already annoying enough, even it takes me only 10 minutes subway ride and 10 minutes walking until the office :D.

i live around 13km from the office - so i gets to do me some walking ;)

Ayumi

Agreed, you can find decent/semi-decent bread some places but nothing beats bread in Europe.. It is the most amazing thing, especially when fresh and still warm!

Macrotus

About food, if you miss the food in your country, "&#25104;&#22478;&#30707;&#20117;" might be a good supermarket to visit. They have various foreign food supplies and snacks.
I like to buy gummis there.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for for, this might be an example of that kind of service.
http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/product/prepaid/

au and docomo might also have one as well.

Have any you ever refused to pay the NHK door to door salesman?
Even Japanese people hate those guys. Even if you tell them that you don't watch NHK, they say as long as you have a TV you have to pay.
I don't know why they won't scramble it like CableTV.
I also heard that NHK is planning on starting an on-demand service(VoD?) and there are rumours that when they do, if you have an internet connection, they would encourage you to pay as well.
Like taxes...

Sapporo is also very similar to that imho. Dunno, Tokyo is kind of... &#33510;&#12375;&#12356; imho.

How far out of Tokyo city are we talking?
It really varies on where you live. The western side of Tokyo is like the country side. Takao and Okutama areas. Nice places to visit on your day off and want to get some fresh air.

Maybe try out Malins in Roppongi, Tokyo :)
At the bottom of the website, it says they're the first approved place in Asia by The British National Federation of Fish Friers.
http://www.malins.jp

Macrotus

First time in this thread and haven't read through yet. Just noticed such a thread exists.
Also nice logo OP! :)

Since you are gamers and some of you live in Japan,
how do you think about PC gaming in Japan? (If you're a PC gamer)

I've complained about this a little in another thread, but Steam restricts a huge amount of games to be purchased in Japan.

This is a list of games which can't be purchased nor activated on Steam from Japan.
It also has a list for games that differ a lot in price.
http://omkn.ngnl.org

Do you think its shitty to be a PC gamer in Japan?
I personally do. I want Dragon Ball Xenoverse for PC so much.
I do have a PS4 too, but I want to use various mods, because I'm a huge DBZ fan.

Ayumi

I'm also a PC gamer but if there are region blocked games I'm dying to play, I just use a VPN.

A lot of the games are blocked because they want us to buy them locally for fair prices, so it's not like you can't get them elsewhere anyway.

It only bothers me when they block games from us because of Chinese farmers, like TERA.

Your list might be long but I don't see a lot of interesting games there that I haven't already played. And most of that list is just DLC.

VPNs are cheap to rent and you can use them for many things. Might wanna consider trying it out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I prefer to ask a friend from overseas to gift me a game which isn't available here. Don't really feel like putting my card number through VPNs.

Top Bottom