• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

urfe

Kansai is where people go if they cant take Tokyo life and wanna talk like owarai geinin.

Saitama is for real survivors. Come at me bro. :p

Also picked up the Mr. Saturn weekly hobonichi today its nice! Lets see if i actually use it.

Seeing them on the net, I thought the character one looked better, but in person, the Me Saturn one was really nice.

Still think ill go with the character one, but undecided.

Didn't really like the Onette one last year.

Just a tip:

If you registered on Netlfix Japan, the layout will probably all be in Japanese, including the movie descriptions and English titles will be written in katakana. You can make it all English from the Settings.

https://www.netflix.com/LanguagePreferences
There seem to be less options for the English language version for some reason, like in karaoke machines. There were a few shows that didn't appear in the search til I switched to Japanese.

urfe

My disc free Mario Maker special edition has been shipped. I guess I still won't be able to play the game until the release date.

Book should be good!

data

so, seeing as you guys mentioned netflix, what japanese movies on netflix do you guys recommend? everything seems to have very low ratings for some reason

Ayumi

so, seeing as you guys mentioned netflix, what japanese movies on netflix do you guys recommend? everything seems to have very low ratings for some reason

Netflix ratings shouldn't be taken into account for, at all.
And they have been only up for a day or so, it could be that the default rating for new movies is 1 star too.

What genre do you prefer to watch?

AllenShrz

I have access to both Japanese and US netflix catalog with just one account.

I have an US account which is the one I have used for years and living abroad I use unblock-us to keep using it.

But now, I can switch between Japanese and US neflix by using or not using unblock-us, cool.

Ayumi

I have an US account which is the one I have used for years and living abroad I use unblock-us to keep using it.

But now, I can switch between Japanese and US neflix by using or not using unblock-us, cool.
As long as one has an account, one can use Netflix from all regions with a proxy/spoof/VPN. Doesn't matter which country you registered on.

Netflix Canada and Australia is good, imo.

Philippo

Does anyone know any university that offer 1 semester long courses for foreing students in Japanese language and culture? Talking specifically about the April '16- September '16 semester.

I'm starting my 3rd and last year, and would like a chance to study there for a while before graduating.

Another problem i'm facing is finding a Scolarship i can actually win, it all seems so complicated...

Theodran

Alternatively, you can just switch between Japan and US using unblock-us since they have added Japan to their service.

Does anyone know any university that offer 1 semester long courses for foreing students in Japanese language and culture? Talking specifically about the April '16- September '16 semester.

I'm starting my 3rd and last year, and would like a chance to study there for a while before graduating.

Another problem i'm facing is finding a Scolarship i can actually win, it all seems so complicated...
Most universities do. Does your university offer any exchanges? That's probably the easiest way to get accepted.
As for scholarships, if you're going for one semester you probably qualify for jasso. Again though, you might need to be part of an exchange through the university.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the cinema experience in Japan? I'm going over in December and may miss the star wars opening in the UK, so I was thinking to see it in Japan. But the last time my wife went to the cinema in Japan it was no pre poked seats and no guaranteed seating at all - standing was common apparantly. I assume things have changed since then (about 15 years ago), but does it have any idiosyncrasies to bear in mind?

Assuming they have Japanese subtitles, what do they do if there is 'foreign' dialogue on the screen? Eg for aliens where you might get brief English subtitles over here. Would you get double subtitles, or just the Japanese ones and no English?

Is there any way to get access to Japanese Hulu from outside of Japan? I can't see support for that from unblock-us etc?

Just a tip:

If you registered on Netlfix Japan, the layout will probably all be in Japanese, including the movie descriptions and English titles will be written in katakana. You can make it all English from the Settings.

https://www.netflix.com/LanguagePreferences

Any idea if this is a global account setting, a per-user setting, or a per-device setting? Ideally I'd want my wife's PC have Japanese but all other machines to stay in English. Or if her account was in Japanese that would be fine too. But if it is a global change for all users then it'd have to stay in English.

Theodran

How is the cinema experience in Japan? I'm going over in December and may miss the star wars opening in the UK, so I was thinking to see it in Japan. But the last time my wife went to the cinema in Japan it was no pre poked seats and no guaranteed seating at all - standing was common apparantly. I assume things have changed since then (about 15 years ago), but does it have any idiosyncrasies to bear in mind?

Assuming they have Japanese subtitles, what do they do if there is 'foreign' dialogue on the screen? Eg for aliens where you might get brief English subtitles over here. Would you get double subtitles, or just the Japanese ones and no English?

You have to pre-book seats - they generally start selling tickets two days prior to the showing. I'm going to guess that Star Wars is going to be very popular so you really would need to get the tickets two days before actually seeing the movie (you can buy them via ticket machines or at the counter in the cinema).

As for foreign dialogue, in general, the English subtitles would be displayed as usual, with the Japanese subtitles being displayed vertically on the side of the screen.

Is there any way to get access to Japanese Hulu from outside of Japan? I can't see support for that from unblock-us etc?

AFAIK you need not only a Japanese VPN (Unblock-US won't work) but also a Japanese Hulu account. It was separate from the US one, last time I checked.

Any idea if this is a global account setting, a per-user setting, or a per-device setting? Ideally I'd want my wife's PC have Japanese but all other machines to stay in English. Or if her account was in Japanese that would be fine too. But if it is a global change for all users then it'd have to stay in English.

This seems to be an account setting - there's no option to change the language under profile settings. Nevermind, this is a profile setting.

Ayumi

This seems to be an account setting - there's no option to change the language under profile settings.
It's a profile setting. Just open Netflix from your PC, click the desired profile name and go to the language settings. Once changed it should be in English on other devices, at least it worked for iOS (iPhone + iPad). It might take a few app restarts to work, but it should, that's what happened to my husband's account while the rest were still Japanese. (The language on your devices doesn't seem to matter btw.)

Philippo

Most universities do. Does your university offer any exchanges? That's probably the easiest way to get accepted.
As for scholarships, if you're going for one semester you probably qualify for jasso. Again though, you might need to be part of an exchange through the university.

Yes, my university do offers exchanges, but they have very limited numbers, it's crazy expensive and they have only 3 places for scolarships for which there is a crazy competition and it's mostly for the highest grades students...

Also, ironically while the Japanese academic years starts from April, most of the programs i have found until now begins in September, and so the only ones who offer a 1-semester only course obviously starts now :/

Lol, I don't understand how my view on life is "flat" or what that means. I've lived and worked on 3 continents, had tons of relationships, tons of experiences. I could stop working tomorrow and be fine for the rest of my life. I could buy my wife a mansion, send my kids to ivy league schools, go fishing Monday, hunting Tuesday, play FF14 Wednesday, visit Venice Thursday, buy a hooker Friday.. and do something completely different the next week. All because I stayed till 1am a few nights a year when I was 24 instead of watching the clock tick down to 5pm every day and running for the door so I could "enjoy" life. If I didn't want to stay till 1am, I wouldn't have. But I did. And now I can not go in at all if I want.

My view on life is called "realistic."

Work life balance is a phrase very commonly used in my field. It's sort of an inside joke. Why do you need to balance work and life as if they're two separate things? If you enjoy your work, it should simply be a part of your life. You shouldn't have to segregate them or set clear boundaries for them. My work is not just a place where I go to make money, it's where I have friends that my family and I go to dinner with, it's where I take part in events like rebuilding Sandy homes, it's where I go to unwind if I had a rough day at home. It should integrate itself seamlessly if you actually do enjoy your work.

I didn't say do a job you hate for money. I said don't make your job your passion, because you can achieve much more of your passions outside the boundaries of a single job.

Also, I was born and grew up in central, post-communism Europe. Didn't come to America until I was 10. My parents barely survived here until I got into college. America to me was just a way for us to bounce back on our feet. And now, again, I'm using it to my advantage to help my life. America is an awesome country, but it's such a small fraction of me.

I have two kids. The field I work in has things called busy seasons that usually last 3-4 months at a time. So I have 3-4 on months and then 3-4 more relaxed months. My wife takes our kids to our Europe home or our Japan home depending on the season. They're still small enough where missing school isn't a big thing. When we go back to Japan for good next summer my oldest will be ready to start shou so it works out perfectly. I spend plenty of time with my family, but I'm far enough in my career where the last ~5 years (since having kids basically) has been much less intensive than the period when I was 22-24ish. I'm holding my son as I type this lol.

I don't really agree with your attitude most of the time but this post is spot on .

There is nothing wrong with making a lot is money and working hard. If you are going to work hard -- might as well make a lot of money ( unless you have an unshakeable passion).

My brother works hard and makes a ton of money - he loves his job and the challenges it brings.He is a very specialized doctor. He busted his ass until 33 or so. he is no means unhappy. Having a lot of money gives you freedom and choices.
I have some friends that also busted their asses early in life , started up their own companies and now are taking vacations all over the world. They love their job though.

If I could go back I would make a ton of money as well and get great at a field-not because I want material things - just because of the freedom you have when you have money and good job experience.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Stop.

If you have problem with an user is not the problem of this thread.

Another disqualification and consider your time in gaf over.

Anyone in Shinjuku interested in going to Taito Station for some fighting games? Trying to find some other people to go with. I mostly just play USF4 at the moment.

megabadd

Just moved into my dorm a couple of hours ago after 25 hours travel, I am pooped!
Glad to be here though :)

I remember you posted here quite a while ago -- what school did you end up choosing?

Edit: I see you answered earlier in the thread. I hope you enjoy Waseda! Be sure to eat lots of Abura soba!

AllenShrz

Get a cheap copy of TT2, it will teach you the basics and watch the video series from "level up your game" before you go and get wreaked/wasting money at the arcade.

Or just pick Shaheen and go nuts with this kind of broken character.

So TTT2 is close to 7? I'll look into it because it's definitely a game I'd like to get decent at. I like the Shinjuku Taito Station for USF4 because it's more active than some of the others. Where's a good place for T7 activity?

AllenShrz

TT2 has the basics of T7, so you can star there first.

If you go trying to go and play T7 without not knowing the basics, they will destroy you even at lower levels and you will not like the game at all since you would lose all the time.

I go to that arcade at Shinjuku because I live somewhat close to it, so is easier for me, and since you play online, it matters little where you are.

I think Ive seen Nobi there (Daigo equivalent in the Tekken community), not sure if that counts.

matt360

Just to add to what Theodran said, you can also book tickets online. I've never seen anyone standing in the movie theater, so that's probably a thing of the past.

Overall, the cinema experience in Japan is pretty great. Theaters are usually very clean, and patrons are always courteous. A far cry from when I lived in America.

The downsides are the ticket prices are high unless you go to a late show or the theater has a men's day or something. And comedies aren't good to watch in theaters because everyone is too polite to laugh. Everyone just sits there quietly, which is great 99% of the time. And as popular as Star Wars is, opening night in Japan will not be an "event" like it would be back home. Oh, and for some reason the theaters are always a few degrees too warm. But of course the women still feel cold and take their lap blankets.

But overall I really like going to the movies here.

bluethree

man applying for jobs in japan is exhausting and soul crushing and i'm gonna have to think of my exit plan if i can't find anything soon. Part of it is having a hard time accepting that post-JET paycut, it's unbelievable how low salaries can be in this country sometimes.

I would think about what your priority is. If your salary goes down, the taxes the year after are based on your old salary so it will be rough. If your priority is staying in Japan, though it up and get experience outside of Jet. Make yourself valuable. You can survive on less in Japan then in your home country.

If your priorities lie elsewhere, you should leave before you are broke.

thenexus6

Sorry for being a bit vague here, but I am looking for some information about something I was told about the other day. I am not sure if real / as good as it was made out to be.

But I was told there is an organisation in Japan that hires people from outside the country and provides you with accommodation in exchange for working with them (maybe in the environmental sector). This is legit?

maszu

Neo Member
Sorry for being a bit vague here, but I am looking for some information about something I was told about the other day. I am not sure if real / as good as it was made out to be.

But I was told there is an organisation in Japan that hires people from outside the country and provides you with accommodation in exchange for working with them (maybe in the environmental sector). This is legit?

Sounds like good old WWOOF.
Mind you, it's not a job or anything but volunteering at farms. Depending on the host it can be a nice adventure or a living nightmare, if some of the stories are to be believed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
no shit i met a fuck ton of woofs on shikoku. Hipster nerds or couples living the hermit life. One of my good jfriends who i knew from osaka actually moved back to his parents' farm to host these people. When ī ran īnto him again years later he told me what weird people come lol. Harmless, but weird.

Theres shit like chiiori trust that sends you out to iya. I know of it due to doing some business with them. The center of shikoku has a ton of this shit. tons of ozzies/kiwis doing rafting on the yoshinogawa etc.

Quoting from the Japan Travel thread! We'll be in Tokyo for three months.

Shit, my girlfriend and I have run into a pretty huge problem in regard to the speed of our apartment's internet; it's just way too slow for us both to teach online (audio, video, and screen sharing). I figured it'd be fine because Japan's internet is known to be extremely fast, but it just runs like shit in this place (I suspect it's because the wifi is coming from an apartment below us). We're going to ask our host about paying for another connection in our apartment, but can anyone suggest private cafe/workspace spots for us to teach from? We need a solution ASAP because we have students to teach tomorrow. I had to cancel all my sessions today because I kept getting disconnected from my student.

We looked around internet cafes near Shibuya, and none of them offered private rooms as far as we could tell. We're kinda panicking right now because we each have several students to teach tomorrow, and it's getting harder and harder to push them back. Pocket wifi likely won't arrive for a few days if we order it now.

Semi-serious proposal: if any Tokyo-GAF members want to let my girlfriend and I use your wifi for a few hours tomorrow morning, I'd pay you $$$. Willing to provide links to our employee/social media pages to show we're not totally insane.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Quoting from the Japan Travel thread! We'll be in Tokyo for three months.

We looked around internet cafes near Shibuya, and none of them offered private rooms as far as we could tell. We're kinda panicking right now because we each have several students to teach tomorrow, and it's getting harder and harder to push them back. Pocket wifi likely won't arrive for a few days if we order it now.

Semi-serious proposal: if any Tokyo-GAF members want to let my girlfriend and I use your wifi for a few hours tomorrow morning, I'd pay you $$$. Willing to provide links to our employee/social media pages to show we're not totally insane.

At what time? If you guys don't rob me, can do at my place. But need to come before I leave for work.

No need to pay me ;)

I leave for work around 7:30

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If you were born and raised in Tokyo you'd know exactly what I meant. Either way, I like how even my mildest posts some how offend people.

Macrotus

If you were born and raised in Tokyo you'd know exactly what I meant.

Honestly, no.
And I also don't know how Kansai is the "real" Japan.
I've never felt Tokyo was a "fake Japan (if its the way you put it)".
Is it because Kansai has Nara and Kyoto or something?

Either way, I like how even my mildest posts some how offend people.
Its a location where I've been born and living at a long time, so yes, I do feel kinda offended.
If it was some location I visited once or twice, I wouldn't care though.

Theodran

Honestly, no.

After 4 years in Tokyo and over 3 years in Kansai, I still don't see a big difference, except that Kansai people are friendlier (something even my edokko wife admits) and that there are smaller city centers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, no.

Its a location where I've been born and living at a long time, so yes, I do feel kinda offended.
If it was some location I visited once or twice, I wouldn't care though.

You're not another AngelSoldier, are you?

Anyway, I find that just about everywhere outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area feels more like "real Japan" than Tokyo does.

man applying for jobs in japan is exhausting and soul crushing and i'm gonna have to think of my exit plan if i can't find anything soon. Part of it is having a hard time accepting that post-JET paycut, it's unbelievable how low salaries can be in this country sometimes.

Are you fluent in Japanese?

Aizo

Banned
I don't know why there is this weird rumor that one is not allowed to change the status of his or her visa from tourist to work within Japan. Hello Work told me this, and even several employers said they couldn't hire me because of it. It's not true, though. I think it's just that companies find it more annoying, because there is different paper work for applying for a status change from within, rather than going to a Japanese consulate in another country.

Macrotus

After 4 years in Tokyo and over 3 years in Kansai, I still don't see a big difference, except that Kansai people are friendlier (something even my edokko wife admits) and that there are smaller city centers.
I also don't think theres much of a difference. I understand that each location has a different atmosphere(雰囲気), but that doesn't make a place "fake" or "real" IMHO.
I asked a friend (Japanese) about this since I thought I maybe missing something and he couldn't understand either.

You're not another AngelSoldier, are you?

Anyway, I find that just about everywhere outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area feels more like "real Japan" than Tokyo does.

Could you elaborate on "AngelSoldier"? I tried Googling and also tried to search on Urban Dictionary, but couldn't find a definition for it. I'm not fluent in English, so I'm bad at understanding slangs and stuff.
I'm also interested in what makes you feel a location is "real Japan" or not. Could you define that?

[Edited]
Since it had capitals, I thought it might be a user name and did a site: search on google and got results.
I tried reading some of his/her posts, but couldn't get what you meant by "another AngelSolider".
What did he/she do thats similar to what I'm posting here?

And if you're asking if I'm that person, I'm not him/her. This is the first time I signed up on this forum.
I'm not sure what kind of person this AngelSoldier was (only looked through few of his/her posts),
but feel free to look at my posting history.

Top Bottom