• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

That was a user who pretended to be Japanese, and Zefah used his DetectiveGAF skills to oust him from his persona.

Wait I thought AngelSoldier was proven to be an alt account of Zefah that was sacrificed in order to get mad GAF cred?
Not really I just saw that in the thread and thought it was a funny explanation for that circus sideshow

Macrotus

That was a user who pretended to be Japanese, and Zefah used his DetectiveGAF skills to oust him from his persona.
Ah, i see. thx.

Well, both of my parents are Japanese, but I guess Zefah won’t trust me unless I post my birth certificate or something… =P
Also my intention of participating in this thread was to help people out if I can, since I’ve been living in Tokyo for a long time.

I’m mostly in the gaming threads lately and have only followed this thread via e-mail
And I noticed someone having internet issues while reading the e-mail and thought I could give some advice since i had a similar problem last month. (bandwidth was around 1Mbps.)
And when I was looking through past posts, that “real Japan” post just bothered me a little.
Because Tokyo’s a place I’ve grown up in and feel special ties to, and my home town/city being called like its not “real” Japan… I dunno how to express my feelings.

Maybe I’m being too sensitive or maybe this thread isn’t for me, I dunno.

wow. I've searched some of his posts but only have read snippets of his various posts,
but reading the whole thread.... damn.
I dunno why one would want to pretend being a certain race. I also dunno why my post ends up making Zefah think I'm AngelSoldier (or that type of person who fakes their nationality.).
But whatever... Feel free to detective me though.

You're not another AngelSoldier, are you?

Anyway, I find that just about everywhere outside of the Tokyo metropolitan area feels more like "real Japan" than Tokyo does.

I'm inclined to agree with you and expert here. Something about Tokyo is just kind of sterile. I did not have a great experience living there though so I'm probably biased. There are lots of fun things about Tokyo! It just feels different to Kansai.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why there is this weird rumor that one is not allowed to change the status of his or her visa from tourist to work within Japan. Hello Work told me this, and even several employers said they couldn't hire me because of it. It's not true, though. I think it's just that companies find it more annoying, because there is different paper work for applying for a status change from within, rather than going to a Japanese consulate in another country.

This is absolutely true, or at least, I've never heard anything to the contrary. You can get a job, but you have to leave the country while they process your paperwork. I think a lot of people just fly over to Korea or somewhere else (or go home for a bit) until the work visa is issued.

Just search 観光ビザ 就労ビザ 短期滞在ビザ or some combination and I'm sure you'll find an expert explanation!

I tried Googling and also tried to search on Urban Dictionary, but couldn't find a definition for it. I'm not fluent in English, so I'm bad at understanding slangs and stuff.
I'm also interested in what makes you feel a location is "real Japan" or not. Could you define that?

Sorry, it's just shit like this, your writing style, and the various things you choose to be concerned about that make me think there is no way you're a native Japanese person (assuming that's your claim). I don't really care enough to investigate, though.

Macrotus

Sorry, it's just shit like this, your writing style, and the various things you choose to be concerned about that make me think there is no way you're a native Japanese person (assuming that's your claim). I don't really care enough to investigate, though.

"AngelSolider" word came out of no where to me.
So what else could I have done? If I'm not familiar with something, I just always Google.
If that doesn't solve it, I go dictionary websites if its a vocabulary. (it was a user name this time which I didn't notice)

And also about me being concerned about "real" and "fake".
While I don't think theres much of a difference between major cities here,
there are various dialects or atmosphere. But that doesn't make a certain location "fake".
Every part of Japan is Japan (or should I say real Japan). Nothings "fake".

Resilient

Macrotus, don't take it so personally. I totally get what the guys mean when they say "Real Japan" and I don't even live there. But people say the same sort of thing about other countries, at least here in AU. It's more ... the dudes just messing around with each other, don't take it personally. If you've taken it personally already, know that their intentions aren't bad, nobody in this thread intends to make ppl feel like shit (I hope).

Aizo

Banned
This is absolutely true, or at least, I've never heard anything to the contrary. You can get a job, but you have to leave the country while they process your paperwork. I think a lot of people just fly over to Korea or somewhere else (or go home for a bit) until the work visa is issued.

Just search 観光ビザ 就労ビザ 短期滞在ビザ or some combination and I'm sure you'll find an expert explanation!
I'm being given paperwork to apply for a change of status domestically, and my boss has been through the same thing with some other employees before, so I'm pretty certain that leaving the country is not necessary. I think one would only need to leave the country if he or she were to apply for a different status through the Japanese consulate elsewhere. It's just that doing the change domestically sometimes takes a while compared to the 4-5 business days it takes at other consulates if you have your paperwork, including your 在留資格認定証明書.

Jintor

Macrotus, don't take it so personally. I totally get what the guys mean when they say "Real Japan" and I don't even live there. But people say the same sort of thing about other countries, at least here in AU. It's more ... the dudes just messing around with each other, don't take it personally. If you've taken it personally already, know that their intentions aren't bad, nobody in this thread intends to make ppl feel like shit (I hope).

Remember Melbourne isn't real Australia because it's full of artsy fartsy libs, and Sydney isn't real australia because it's filled with bankers and chinese uni students, and QLD isn't real australia because it's full of bogans, and tassie isn't real australia because it's filled with inbred... uh, I don't know, woodcutters.

real australia belongs to the spiders

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm being given paperwork to apply for a change of status domestically, and my boss has been through the same thing with some other employees before, so I'm pretty certain that leaving the country is not necessary. I think one would only need to leave the country if he or she were to apply for a different status through the Japanese consulate elsewhere. It's just that doing the change domestically sometimes takes a while compared to the 4-5 business days it takes at other consulates if you have your paperwork, including your 在留資格認定証明書.

Sounds like that would be an exception to the rule, honestly.

The 短期滞在ビザ that gets issued to foreigners does not allow for activities such as searching for work. By taking your 在留資格認定証明書 and applying for a change of status while on a 短期滞在ビザ, you're admitting to lying about your intentions when you entered the country.

Exceptions are possible, of course, but you're at risk of greatly complicating the issuing process of a work visa by trying to stay in the country.

bluethree

Are you fluent in Japanese?

I just got off two years working in an all Japanese office, so yes.

Also a big part of why I havent found anything yet is that I didnt realize what a big paycut post-JET jobs have. So I (quite stupidly) passed up on some otherwise good opportunities, but now im at the point where ill just take anything that isnt terrible.

Things are picking up since I posted that, even if Im mostly just getting responses from ESL jobs.

(Also the Kansai vs Tokyo debate is pointless since neither city is Fukuoka so they both lose by default :p

Aizo

Banned
Sounds like that would be an exception to the rule, honestly.

The 短期滞在ビザ that gets issued to foreigners does not allow for activities such as searching for work. By taking your 在留資格認定証明書 and applying for a change of status while on a 短期滞在ビザ, you're admitting to lying about your intentions when you entered the country.
I did the things I said I would, and then I found work. They never asked if I'd be looking for work. I did have multiple reasons for coming back. The immigration office recommended that I do things with them rather than go to a consulate, and I don't sense any hostility. It may be somewhat annoying, but paying for two flights and somewhere to stay in Korea for a week would be more of a pain.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did the things I said I would, and then I found work. They never asked if I'd be looking for work. I did have multiple reasons for coming back. The immigration office recommended that I do things with them rather than go to a consulate, and I don't sense any hostility. It may be somewhat annoying, but paying for two flights and somewhere to stay in Korea for a week would be more of a pain.

You don't have to convince me! I hope it all works out for you. Just wanted to point out that it's not a "weird rumor" that, in general, you aren't allowed to change status from a tourist visa.

Macrotus

When I tried to write Resilient a reply, there were already people who were progressing on to a productive conversation, so I decided to send a reply to Resilient via PM so that I wouldn’t interfere.
But I guess I should have just posted here.

And as for Expert and Zefah accusing me of faking my nationality or trolling,
I’ve denied it many times and I dunno why I would waste my time on such a thing.
And looks like this has turned in to a “calling-peoples-names (angelsoldier in this case)” type of thing.

I was trying to be polite and as constructive as I can even with my lack of English,
but before I start being impolite, I'll take it to a mod first via PM.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE, ME BEING DUMB, PAR FOR COURSE, BUSINESS AS USUAL

Stuart444

I think he's offended because it feels like an insult to his home city. Not that hard to grasp why someone would be offended by it.

Some people feel very strongly about where they grew up, regardless of country so being told something that feels like an insult would offend them.

edit: I just looked at that Angel thread linked and wow. Ousted in the first page. That might be one of the quickest I've seen on here.

urfe

Gotta give it to Expert for having a small comment create all this.

I've only really been to Osaka on business trips, but I do love the area. I think it's a big enough metropolis to not be "real Japan". Wouldn't that be Akita or Shimane or Ehime or something?

I think salary going down after JET is a given. However, that should just be the first few years.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It isn't even specific to Tokyo, I just said Tokyo because of the majority of posters in this thread being there. Anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time with modern Japanese people knows how much Kansai-culture permeates through them. Being from Kansai or using Kansai-ben are immediate badges of coolness and there are sooooo many people not from Kansai that try to emulate Kansai mannerisms/speech, the most common of them being people from Kantou. Hyoujyungo among young people has essentially become a hybrid of their local dialect and Kansai-ben.

It's a very well known joke in Osaka especially to say that people from Tokyo try to be like people from Osaka because of how boring Tokyo people are. Think of it kind of like a wigger complex. This isn't something new or rare, and is represented daily in Japanese media and entertainment. That's why I find it insane that someone who says they're a native of Tokyo doesn't know of this cultural perception, which, at the end of the day, is just some friendly regional rivalry akin to east coast vs west coast. But this isn't limited to Tokyo/Kantou, you'll find this phenomenon to the north, south, west, wherever in Japan.

The big point of that original post of mine though was that foreigners go to Tokyo primarily because it caters way more to their lack of language skills, where in Kansai (real Japan) or any other spot that isn't vanilla Japan (Hokkaido, 4koku, 9shuu) those same people would drown. Tokyo has become a safety net for those kinds of people and Charlie even admitted himself how his language skills are surprisingly weak for someone who has been there for that long - something that's very common.

Gotta give it to Expert for having a small comment create all this.

I've only really been to Osaka on business trips, but I do love the area. I think it's a big enough metropolis to not be "real Japan". Wouldn't that be Akita or Shimane or Ehime or something?

I think salary going down after JET is a given. However, that should just be the first few years.

Just to be clear, I said Kansai, not Osaka. Osaka vs Tokyo is a totally separate thing. And 'real Japan' has nothing to do with temples and shrines and tea and sumo or living on a mountain or whatever the fuck. It has to do with where the cultural epicenter is for Japanese people, not foreigners. The Kansai region by far has the most influence over how modern Japanese people perceive themselves. I'll add an "in my opinion" here just to cover my ass. Also I said fuck it and just stayed up to watch Reckful.. hence why I'm here..

Porcile

Hey J-GAF. This might be too esoteric a question, but maybe someone in here might know or could help me get in touch with someone who does. Do any of you know any communities, online or not, where you can get in touch with independent artists, filmmakers, animators, indie game developers or creatives types based in Japan? Maybe even events and university graduate exhibitions (do they have those in Japan?). If I can't get any English teaching in the short term, I'm looking for some long term networking opportunities, and just hoping to engage with like-minded people while I learn Japanese. I know there's BitSummit for indie devs, but are there any others?

EDIT - I should clarify I'm not based in Japan.

urfe

It isn't even specific to Tokyo, I just said Tokyo because of the majority of posters in this thread being there. Anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time with modern Japanese people knows how much Kansai-culture permeates through them. Being from Kansai or using Kansai-ben are immediate badges of coolness and there are sooooo many people not from Kansai that try to emulate Kansai mannerisms/speech, the most common of them being people from Kantou. Hyoujyungo among young people has essentially become a hybrid of their local dialect and Kansai-ben.

It's a very well known joke in Osaka especially to say that people from Tokyo try to be like people from Osaka because of how boring Tokyo people are. Think of it kind of like a wigger complex. This isn't something new or rare, and is represented daily in Japanese media and entertainment. That's why I find it insane that someone who says they're a native of Tokyo doesn't know of this cultural perception, which, at the end of the day, is just some friendly regional rivalry akin to east coast vs west coast. But this isn't limited to Tokyo/Kantou, you'll find this phenomenon to the north, south, west, wherever in Japan.

The big point of that original post of mine though was that foreigners go to Tokyo primarily because it caters way more to their lack of language skills, where in Kansai (real Japan) or any other spot that isn't vanilla Japan (Hokkaido, 4koku, 9shuu) those same people would drown. Tokyo has become a safety net for those kinds of people and Charlie even admitted himself how his language skills are surprisingly weak for someone who has been there for that long - something that's very common.

Just to be clear, I said Kansai, not Osaka. Osaka vs Tokyo is a totally separate thing. And 'real Japan' has nothing to do with temples and shrines and tea and sumo or living on a mountain or whatever the fuck. It has to do with where the cultural epicenter is for Japanese people, not foreigners. The Kansai region by far has the most influence over how modern Japanese people perceive themselves. I'll add an "in my opinion" here just to cover my ass. Also I said fuck it and just stayed up to watch Reckful.. hence why I'm here..

I agree with most of this, and what I don't agree with I don't disagree with, but don't have enough info to have an opinion on.

edit: I just read the AngelSoldier thread. Ho-ly shit.

Aizo

Banned
Tokyo has become a safety net for those kinds of people and Charlie even admitted himself how his language skills are surprisingly weak for someone who has been there for that long - something that's very common.
He is quite modest, though. He won't admit this, so I'll say it for him—he can hold his own in a meeting with XXX officials.

SPAW

GAF HELP needed: I will be in Japan from Sunday for one week. What I need are some good (gaming) related suggestions for places to visit. What is the best place to bring people in order to introduce them to the Japanese otaku scene? Any and all suggestions are welcome!

I'm an expert

He is quite modest, though. He won't admit this, so I'll say it for him—he can hold his own in a meeting with officials.

I know. I know where he works and his experience. Was just using him as an example since he knew what I was talking about. He's by no means who I'm talking about.

Beefy

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. But I am looking to try some Japanese sweets (candy). I just wondered what ones you guys would recommend? If you don't mind. I live in the UK so will be importing them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
He is quite modest, though. He won't admit this, so I'll say it for him—he can hold his own in a meeting with (DELETE PLEASE) officials.

eek - that's the cat out of the bag lol ;)

I am hyper critical of my own ability constantly (in regards to anything, not just Japanese) - my written and reading skills are WAY below where they should be but my comprehension of spoken Japanese is, as mentioned, good enough to hold multiple hour meetings with major japanese IBs and i'm able to answer and not have any mishaps or mistakes whilst maintaining consistent and good relationships.

BUT ... for my own personal standards , for 16 years, i'm behind where i expect myself to be. Now, obviously working in a 80% English environment for 13 years was a factor of that but that's no excuse - i blame myself for not carving out the time to do the study.

But i would largely concur with Expert - my language skills can and should be ahead of where they are, not hiding from that at all.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in. But I am looking to try some Japanese sweets (candy). I just wondered what ones you guys would recommend? If you don't mind. I live in the UK so will be importing them.

I'm not a big sweet tooth, so I recommend savoury snacks like jagabee and jagariko. If you're looking for sweet though, you can't go wrong with anything green tea flavoured.

Aizo

Banned
Things are getting interesting with the 山口組 lately. I wonder if there will be any sort of incident in Kabukicho in the upcoming months.

Ayumi

I'm not a big sweet tooth, so I recommend savoury snacks like jagabee and jagariko. If you're looking for sweet though, you can't go wrong with anything green tea flavoured.

Lots of great stuff by Meiji, check their website if you can see anything. :3

Jintor

Things are getting interesting with the 山口組 lately. I wonder if there will be any sort of incident in Kabukicho in the upcoming months.

didn't even have to wait out the day. apparently some dude got shot

jake adelstein is the man to follow on this since he retweets pretty much everything

/edit oops. Arrest made for a three year ago shooting into a door. Teach me to jump based on headlines.

Jintor

Does anyone know where I can check NTT West's server status page? It's a vain hope, I know, but my internet speed has gone down to 1-3mb/s where previously it was at least 15mb/s. Must've been since Monday, since I watched most of the Sony conference without jittering.

Japanese is okay, I just don't know the right search terms and a pageful of text is really overwhelming.

Gacha-pin

久しぶりにこのスレ来たけど I didn't expect I saw kansai vs tokyo thing in neogaf lol

Kansai gaf, what do you think 大阪人vs京都人vs奈良人?
%E9%96%A2%E8%A5%BF%E4%BA%BA%E3%81%AE%E8%A6%8B%E5%88%86%E3%81%91%E6%96%B9.jpg

Resilient

久しぶりにこのスレ来たけど I didn't expect I saw kansai vs tokyo thing in neogaf lol

Kansai gaf, what do you think 大阪人vs京都人vs奈良人?

lmao.

surprised to see that Kansai V Tokyo is so intense.

i asked a few of my native Japanese friends who have been living in Australia for a few years now, and they say it's much the same as Melbourne v Sydney, which is relatively tame...who knows.

how can somebody who has moved to Japan feel so nationalistic/strongly about Kansai v Tokyo?

Aeana

Hi, everyone. I just wanted to step in and say that if you have a problem with a user, you should try to resolve it privately rather than derailing a thread publicly about it. And if you think a particular user is breaking the rules, particularly if you feel that you have proof, please contact a moderator about it. Harassment of other users is not something we tolerate, however, especially if it results in a thread being continually derailed. Toss me a PM if you'd like to talk about it.

I'm an expert

FINGERS IN MY EARS, FUCK YOU RESILIENT FOR QUOTING ME

lmao.

surprised to see that Kansai V Tokyo is so intense.

i asked a few of my native Japanese friends who have been living in Australia for a few years now, and they say it's much the same as Melbourne v Sydney, which is relatively tame...who knows.

how can somebody who has moved to Japan feel so nationalistic/strongly about Kansai v Tokyo?

Is this referring to me? All of that stuff I wrote is simply the landscape of current Japan. I don't feel strongly about anything lol. Those first three paragraphs I'm simply describing the truth of how a young person views Kansai in Japan. The last paragraph is the only one I said was an "opinion" though I only did that to make it seem like I wasn't just on a podium trying to preach. The last paragraph is fact too so there ya go. It's got nothing to do with me or how I feel about one region or another. As I said before, that original post about "real Japan" was poking at all the people who just get off the bus in Tokyo because anywhere else scares the shit out of them. I only expanded on it later because Macrotus completely misinterpreted it and thought I was some how shitting on Tokyo.

Resilient

Is this referring to me? All of that stuff I wrote is simply the landscape of current Japan. I don't feel strongly about anything lol. Those first three paragraphs I'm simply describing the truth of how a young person views Kansai in Japan. The last paragraph is the only one I said was an "opinion" though I only did that to make it seem like I wasn't just on a podium trying to preach. The last paragraph is fact too so there ya go. It's got nothing to do with me or how I feel about one region or another. As I said before, that original post about "real Japan" was poking at all the people who just get off the bus in Tokyo because anywhere else scares the shit out of them. I only expanded on it later because Macrotus completely misinterpreted it and thought I was some how shitting on Tokyo.

nah, was referring to Macrotus (not attacking you dude) potentially being a faker like you guys said, and from what he said, being very proud of where he came from to the point where a comment like yours (which I'm seeing is exactly the same as Melbourne v Sydney) could be seen as offensive.

but being on the internet long enough i chalk it up to everybody being different. expert, are you paid for GAF to incite clicks in this thread? seems to blow up every time you post.

maybe my friends are bias. they all come from around Osaka.

I'm an expert

Haha. What'd you do to get that tag, anyway?

All I recall is talking to Aeana on the gaming side years ago and asking whether or not I'd be banned for saying what I felt.. or something to that effect. I'm sure I could find the post somewhere if I tried. This is right when the modding style on this forum was starting to shift and I could feel my posting style not meshing. I had never been banned until I got this tag. Now I'm at the point where the "nicest" mods delete my posts lol. The writing is on the wall for me I'm afraid.

Funnily enough every ban since then except for one was for literally not being nice. I'd get ban messages like "stop being mean." On point tag I'd say.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah. I thought the tag was appropriate when I first saw your posts :p

Edit: I do genuinely like your constructive posts when you're not trolling, though. Haha.

I'm an expert

Fine Aizo. You've changed me. From now on I will post like a normal human being. Here are the snacks I would recommend someone:

are you happy?

edit: swear to god I've only trolled like once ever and it was some dumb Nintendo thread on gaming side.. every post I make on offtopic side is genuinely from the heart. which probably makes me even more of a monster to people.

Top Bottom