• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Resilient

from the depths of inaka kansai i offer this wisdom: fuck melbourne

we'll beat you in (x game of sport) (this year/next year/delete whichever is inappropriate)

i hate melbourne just as much as i hate sydney.

i'm trying to move to Japan so i can tell myself that people are shit no matter what country i'm in.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
not sweets, but ice.... still the king....

0.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I always recommend Takenoko no Sato and Kinoko no Yama snacks to people:

Pretty simple, but very tasty. You'll typically be able to find these in asian supermarkets overseas, too.

Yeah I believe it's supposed to be a rhino, though I don't think you ever see it from another angle anywhere in the book so I can't be 100% sure

Ayumi

not sweets, but ice.... still the king....

0.jpg
Have you had your iron levels checked? I'm totally armchair diagnosing you with Pica.

I craved ice cubes and some weird stuff when I was pregnant due to anemia. Regardless, chewing ice is great so I agree with you. Haven't tried flavored ones though! Do you chew it or put it in a drink?

DCharlie

Have you had your iron levels checked? I'm totally armchair diagnosing you with Pica.

I craved ice cubes and some weird stuff when I was pregnant due to anemia. Regardless, chewing ice is great so I agree with you. Haven't tried flavored ones though! Do you chew it or put it in a drink?

haha, yeah, my iron levels are all good :D

I have a bad habit of chewing ice in cocktails when i go out and people do tend to give me an odd look ;)

Yup - tried the Cola, and the default grapefruit. There's the grape and orange flavoured ones in the taller thinner tubes too, and every now and then a calpis one.

They all rock - and i usually chew, but i've been known to drop them in some water or whatever :D

... i'm totally having one after work now.

Crayolan

Hey JapanGAF, are there any differences between a Suica Card and PASMO card? Just need one for occasional travel around Tokyo for the next year but no one I ask seems to know what the differences are.

Also can you really only get them in specific stations? Apparently the only nearby place to get them for me is Shinjuku Station (I'm by Takadanobaba) but almost everyone in my dorm already has one so I feel like I'm missing something.

urfe

Pretty sure you can get them at any station. The machines should have an English option to do so too.

Suica is JR East I believe. Pasmo is Metro, Keisei and prob more private lines. They can all be used all over Japan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think most of the JR-issued cards can be used just about everywhere. When the IC cards first started becoming a thing, it was a nightmare and you couldn't even use, say, ICOCA, in the Tokyo area. Luckily they connected everything pretty quickly.

Aizo

Banned
I think most of the JR-issued cards can be used just about everywhere.
Tons of places outside big cities/highly populated prefectures don't accept them. Even in Saitama, there are stations just in the suburbs that won't accept them.

urfe

Tons of places outside big cities/highly populated prefectures don't accept them. Even in Saitama, there are stations just in the suburbs that won't accept them.

Wow, everywhere in Chiba does (not sure about Kururi).

If they don't have a ticket gate, the guy at the station will have a machine.

Most common is no gate, but a place to swipe your Suica.

Gacha-pin

Wow, everywhere in Chiba does (not sure about Kururi).

If they don't have a ticket gate, the guy at the station will have a machine.

Most common is no gate, but a place to swipe your Suica.

The second round Saitama vs Chiba has started!! :)

Darksol

I only go to Saitama for events, like the air show, and searching for 廃墟. I can't make any argument for them.

I'm still shit with kanji -- isn't 廃墟 something like ruins or long abandoned structures? You go searching for things like this? Sounds fun! (Especially since I'm moving to Saitama prefecture :p)

urfe

I'm still shit with kanji -- isn't 廃墟 something like ruins or long abandoned structures? You go searching for things like this? Sounds fun! (Especially since I'm moving to Saitama prefecture :p)

Not reading 廃墟 doesn't mean your shit with kanji. The second one wouldn't come up unless you're talking about 廃墟.

Anyways, I have an irrational hate for Saitama, save Chichibu.

I also consider anything not in the Boso Penninsula to not be the real Chiba, it's all basically Ibaraki, Saitama (Noda) or Tokyo.

Anyone in JapanGAF playing Mario Maker? There's the OT but it's too many people and I'd love a smaller community where we would all play each other's levels.

Gacha-pin

廃村探索、Sirenのモデルとなった場所(埼玉)の巻
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clb8mc5npe4

Darksol

Not reading 廃墟 doesn't mean your shit with kanji. The second one wouldn't come up unless you're talking about 廃墟.

Anyways, I have an irrational hate for Saitama, save Chichibu.

I have an unhealthy fixation with Kawaguchi in Saitama prefecture. For whatever reason that mid sized city really connected with me. I'm happy to be going back :) Plus, I like being close enough to Tokyo without being IN Tokyo.

廃村探索、Sirenのモデルとなった場所(埼玉)の巻
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clb8mc5npe4

Well that's creepy as shit.

So what's the objective? Is it like the same fascination some people have with "haunted houses"? Wouldn't abandoned buildings mostly just turn up bugs, booze bottles and leftover drugs? :eek:

久しぶりにこのスレ来たけど I didn't expect I saw kansai vs tokyo thing in neogaf lol

Kansai gaf, what do you think 大阪人vs京都人vs奈良人?
Cracked up the first time I saw this on twitter. It's accurate.

urfe

I'm playing it. I'm down for sharing codes, love to see what people think. I'll post mine shortly. Share yours!

Here's one code, you can find my others through it.

If you give me one I'll favorite you so I can do your others.

C95C0000005AFB96

In other news, my low key silver week is good times.

Anyone in Tokyo interested in hanging out at an arcade? I've been trying to go to different ones but it would be more interesting to go with other people, especially if they play 2D fighters or coop games!

Can anyone recommend some products to buy in Japan to treat sickness? I know Pocari Sweat has electrolytes, so that's on my list, but I don't know of anything else (I should have brought Emergen-C!). I have a stomach bug and my girlfriend has a gnarly cold; I guess we over-exerted ourselves during our first week here!

Aizo

Banned
Can anyone recommend some products to buy in Japan to treat sickness? I know Pocari Sweat has electrolytes, so that's on my list...
You have a stomach bug, so are you dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea? Just drink water. If you are sweating a lot and vomiting, then maybe get fruit juice.

Resilient

Try a pharmacy and fumble your way through your symptoms. Just say you got a stomach bug and a cold. Need someone to write what to say? Both things can be solved with Pocari Sweat tho.

Last time I went my friend had a cold and he just had to get some medication. He ended up with these Dr Mario looking pills. Lol. Will never forget it. He walked back from Fushimi-Inari with snow on his head. dumbass.

Macrotus

oops, meant to send a PM to Jimmy Stav... sorry

[Edited]
I didn't mean to write on this thread, but meh
Since I did, I'll just add, if anyone is going through dehydration,
I'd recommend OS-1 from Otsuka Seiyaku. http://www.os-1.jp
Has much more electrolytes than Pocari or other normal sport drinks.

SKINNER!

Banned
In most cases, yes. As long as it's from Amazon themselves and not a marketplace seller at least.

Cool. Thanks :) There's two Ghost in the Shell amazon.jp bluray exclusives I wanna buy. Gutted that I'll have to pay customs tax once they enter UK territory X( but still, dunno when I'll be back in Japan to pick them up.

Resilient

Here's one code, you can find my others through it.

If you give me one I'll favorite you so I can do your others.

C95C0000005AFB96

In other news, my low key silver week is good times.

lol nice level, unfortunately my levels are really really difficult for the player :| Hanami was a bit of an inside joke so the title and joke won't translate well for those outside of it. nevertheless it's my hardest level, so good luck :p

5525-0000-0054-8CD1

Hanami Redux is a walk of shame for those who can't finish the main level..

oops, meant to send a PM to Jimmy Stav... sorry

[Edited]
I didn't mean to write on this thread, but meh
Since I did, I'll just add, if anyone is going through dehydration,
I'd recommend OS-1 from Otsuka Seiyaku. http://www.os-1.jp
Has much more electrolytes than Pocari or other normal sport drinks.

Try a pharmacy and fumble your way through your symptoms. Just say you got a stomach bug and a cold. Need someone to write what to say? Both things can be solved with Pocari Sweat tho.

Last time I went my friend had a cold and he just had to get some medication. He ended up with these Dr Mario looking pills. Lol. Will never forget it. He walked back from Fushimi-Inari with snow on his head. dumbass.

You have a stomach bug, so are you dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea? Just drink water. If you are sweating a lot and vomiting, then maybe get fruit juice.

I sincerely appreciate the suggestions from everyone. A pharmacist gave me a pretty strong-ish painkiller (I think), and it put me on the path to recovery.

@Aizo: It was just frequent diarrhea. Pocari Sweat turned out to be a little too sugary to actually make me feel better, so I reverted back to just water. And I bought a loaf of white bread from a convenience store that was *heavenly*.

Darksol

I picked up my Working Holiday Visa today -- I was approved! ^_^ So now it's 100% confirmed that I'll be living in Japan as of this February. I'm so excited :D

urfe

lol nice level, unfortunately my levels are really really difficult for the player :| Hanami was a bit of an inside joke so the title and joke won't translate well for those outside of it. nevertheless it's my hardest level, so good luck :p

5525-0000-0054-8CD1

Hanami Redux is a walk of shame for those who can't finish the main level..

I played it but haven't beaten it yet! I've favorited you, and will get to it on the weekend. Thanks for playing mine!

Resilient

I played it but haven't beaten it yet! I've favorited you, and will get to it on the
weekend. Thanks for playing mine!

I'm gonna dig into the rest of yours this weekend. Pay attention to the arrows because they solve the puzzle of where the stages goal is.

DCharlie

completely unrelated and totally irrelevant....

completed an interview process with an international IB - 8+4 interviews.... fun.

So, in a couple of days I'll be leaving for Japan. I'll stay there for 3 weeks, and in the first two I'll do homestay in Ito, near Tokyo. Does anyone here know the place? Is it nice?
I'm really excited but I've never done anything like this before. Also my japanase is rubbish. Any general advice, gaf?

urfe

So, in a couple of days I'll be leaving for Japan. I'll stay there for 3 weeks, and in the first two I'll do homestay in Ito, near Tokyo. Does anyone here know the place? Is it nice?
I'm really excited but I've never done anything like this before. Also my japanase is rubbish. Any general advice, gaf?

A search brought up a place in Izu, which is a great area.

I wouldn't call it close to Tokyo though.

Resilient

completely unrelated and totally irrelevant....

completed an interview process with an international IB - 8+4 interviews.... fun.
What's international IB 8+4? A podcast?
Lol but for real I'm not in the business/economics field so I don't know what this is 😥

Ayumi

In Shizuoka? 43 minutes by train to Atami, which has Japan's best kanpachi, straight on the dock. Atami also has an awesome sex museum, and a great petting zoo with free-roaming animals.

There's also a boat to Hatsushima Resort, which is so beautiful. :3

Aizo

Banned
Here are some pictures from the most recent 廃墟 I went to. I don't know what it is, but I really like abandoned buildings/abandoned areas in Japan more than in the West. Sometimes, there are homeless living in them in the West, but I've never seen another person aside from those I bring along when I go to them in Japan. Also, they're usually a lot easier to get into, and they're not cordoned off as often.

A search brought up a place in Izu, which is a great area.

I wouldn't call it close to Tokyo though.

In Shizuoka? 43 minutes by train to Atami, which has Japan's best kanpachi, straight on the dock. Atami also has an awesome sex museum, and a great petting zoo with free-roaming animals.

There's also a boat to Hatsushima Resort, which is so beautiful. :3
Thank you both.
Yeah, the area seems really beautiful. Hope I can visit Atami.

guess time for jikojyouka

hi, finally my account was activated, currently living here in japan (hichiooji) for at lest 2 year now, currently attending a university here so i didn't have a lot of free time, but its nice to meet you guys.

Top Bottom