• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Darksol

guess time for jikojyouka

hi, finally my account was activated, currently living here in japan (hichiooji) for at lest 2 year now, currently attending a university here so i didn't have a lot of free time, but its nice to meet you guys.

Eh? Don't you mean 自己紹介 and 八王子?

Which university?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
anyone in Japan GAF live near iwakuni? My wife and I have a house on heigun jima and I've seen lots of job options at the military base there. We also love the idea of being close enough to beppu and hiroshima.

I ask because I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or advice about living in that area. Seems nice, but internet research only goes so far.

Otherwise, if anyone has hookups for IT Admin work in the Tokyo area that would be even better. Have a spouse visa.

Aizo

Banned
Looks like I'll be in Nagoya for part of my job training next week. Anything I should be sure to check out? I've only ever passed through on the shinkansen. I wanted to see サカナクション there, but I won't be in town long enough, which is lame.

After that, I'll be in Osaka for about a week and a half. Time for KansaiGAF meetup?

Looks like I'll be in Nagoya for part of my job training next week. Anything I should be sure to check out? I've only ever passed through on the shinkansen. I wanted to see サカナクション there, but I won't be in town long enough, which is lame.

After that, I'll be in Osaka for about a week and a half. Time for KansaiGAF meetup?

明治村 is pretty close by and is pretty damn cool if you've got any interest in Meiji history. It's basically a bunch of restored Meiji-era architecture and exhibits which have been transported into one giant, open-air "museum" which spans a whole kilometer squared ("organically" laid out as several 町).

There's also a 大逆転裁判 themed リアル脱出ゲーム running, which seems to be more about roaming the park and scouring the various exhibits in order to gather "evidence" to refute various testimonies and such in a short interactive courtroom bit rather than a traditional escape. Still really cool, and I want to try to make it back out there sometime this fall to try it.

It's definitely something that warrants a day-trip, but I'd say it's worth it even if you can only get there for a few hours. It closes a bit early though. They start shutting things down and ushering people towards the exits at 5 PM, so it may not fit your schedule.

EDIT: You may want to check out Critical Hit if you don't mind going to a major gaijin nerd hub. It's a bar with middling drinks, but the real draw is that they have a pretty enormous library of retro games that they'll hook up for you on request. Three drink minimum, but they don't charge any extra for the games or anything, so if you nurse your beers you can hang out for a while.

Jintor

明治村 is pretty close by and is pretty damn cool if you've got any interest in Meiji history. It's basically a bunch of restored Meiji-era architecture and exhibits which have been transported into one giant, open-air "museum" which spans a whole kilometer squared ("organically" laid out as several 町).

There's also a 大逆転裁判 themed リアル脱出ゲーム running, which seems to be more about roaming the park and scouring the various exhibits in order to gather "evidence" to refute various testimonies and such in a short interactive courtroom bit rather than a traditional escape. Still really cool, and I want to try to make it back out there sometime this fall to try it.

It's definitely something that warrants a day-trip, but I'd say it's worth it even if you can only get there for a few hours. It closes a bit early though. They start shutting things down and ushering people towards the exits at 5 PM, so it may not fit your schedule.

give me a heads up if you head out this way. Sounds like it'd be fun to do, especially with someone who understands way more japanese than me

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PSA:Geo stores started doing midnight game launches with MGS5. If the publisher doesn't have a problem with that, you can buy new releases at midnight. Be sure to ask when preordering. Also might be limited to my local Geo, but who knows.

Darksol

クソ右翼団体orz

^-^

Thanks for teaching me something today. I find it funny that I knew what クソ右翼団体 was but had to Google "orz" :p

What specifically is pissing you off about them? There's many, many reasons after all!

Ayumi

^-^

Thanks for teaching me something today. I find it funny that I knew what クソ右翼団体 was but had to Google "orz" :p

What specifically is pissing you off about them? There's many, many reasons after all!

街宣車がうるさい
朝に眠いですけど・・・

Darksol

街宣車がうるさい
朝に眠いですけど・・・

ああ、そうだと思う。すごくうるさいよ。最低!

Has there ever been anyone who heard their shouting and changed their political opinion from said shouting? Just seems like such a waste of time, gas and money, not to mention preventing you from sleeping :p

ああ、そうだと思う。すごくうるさいよ。最低!

Has there ever been anyone who heard their shouting and changed their political opinion from said shouting? Just seems like such a waste of time, gas and money, not to mention preventing you from sleeping :p

それは仕方がないというのです。例えば、私はその宣言ことに参加しないが他の政治家がすると、庶民は私が怠くて影響力がない政治家だと思ってくるでしょうね。

So many things in Japan (and America, and the UK, and...) are done just because that's the expectation of what is done. It's just more deep-rooted and apparent in Japan because of how heavily the population skews towards the elderly, I would think.

EDIT: Whoops, I thought this was in reference to the politicians driving around. We don't get the extremists in my area.

Ayumi

ああ、そうだと思う。すごくうるさいよ。最低!

It's a lot of propaganda, some of them even say stuff like Japan did nothing wrong in WWII, and denying other war crimes. It depends a lot on the group though. Most of them aim to be loud and annoying while protesting outside the Chinese and Korean embassies.

Check out this interesting article for more info, if you want:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyoku_dantai

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
My firm/industry doesn't participate in it but I've had a lot of experience with the recruitment companies that organize it. It's a decent fair but the focus is usually on experienced hires, not entry level.

urfe

My firm/industry doesn't participate in it but I've had a lot of experience with the recruitment companies that organize it. It's a decent fair but the focus is usually on experienced hires, not entry level.

I went as a new grad/only with English teaching experience a few years back, and it was not a kind experience. IT and engineers were in high demand, not wayward shits like I was.

Here are some pictures from the most recent 廃墟 I went to. I don't know what it is, but I really like abandoned buildings/abandoned areas in Japan more than in the West. Sometimes, there are homeless living in them in the West, but I've never seen another person aside from those I bring along when I go to them in Japan. Also, they're usually a lot easier to get into, and they're not cordoned off as often.

Are you in Okinawa by any chance? It looks awfully like the Nakagusuku Haunted Hotel.

Uhh, hi!

I recently moved to Tokyo about two months ago as a JET. I also recently got my GAF account approved, so I have finally upgraded from being a filthy lurker, and I wanted to drop by and say hi.
I'm slowly getting settled in. The most stressful time was looking for an apartment. Although I studied Japanese in high school and uni, I still have everyday struggles trying to communicate. Nevertheless, I'm having a blast here.

I've bought whiteware and got internet set up, but my current battle is trying to get a Japanese Credit Card. Anybody got that Amazon Mastercard? I really want to rake up those points, haha! I hear that Rakuten is "the" go to card for foreigners, so that's my plan B.

Nice to meet you all!

maszu

Neo Member
I went as a new grad/only with English teaching experience a few years back, and it was not a kind experience. IT and engineers were in high demand, not wayward shits like I was.

Thanks for your responses. As expected it's going to be a rough ride haha.

Uhh, hi!
I've bought whiteware and got internet set up, but my current battle is trying to get a Japanese Credit Card. Anybody got that Amazon Mastercard? I really want to rake up those points, haha! I hear that Rakuten is "the" go to card for foreigners, so that's my plan B.

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome! Credit cards are hit and miss with foreigners, maybe someone who has one can say more. I got a Rakuten debit card which yes, its the easiest to get but you have to have been living in Japan for at least 6 months in order to qualify for it

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks for your responses. As expected it's going to be a rough ride haha.

Welcome! Credit cards are hit and miss with foreigners, maybe someone who has one can say more. I got a Rakuten debit card which yes, its the easiest to get but you have to have been living in Japan for at least 6 months in order to qualify for it
It's also best to not have a middle name on your bank account, since it has to match the one on the credit card and the rakuten registration has a strict character limit.
My personal information was too long by 1 or 2 characters and I got an error each time. Called my bank and they told me that there's nothing they can do and the rakuten cc service doesn't have any support hotline for unregistered users (they got rid of it a few years ago). Good luck, I'd suggest getting a Visa Debit card instead, most banks are offering those and it doesn't require any background checks etc.

It's also best to not have a middle name on your bank account, since it has to match the one on the credit card and the rakuten registration has a strict character limit.
My personal information was too long by 1 or 2 characters and I got an error each time. Called my bank and they told me that there's nothing they can do and the rakuten cc service doesn't have any support hotline for unregistered users (they got rid of it a few years ago). Good luck, I'd suggest getting a Visa Debit card instead, most banks are offering those and it doesn't require any background checks etc.

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately I already have my bank account set up with my middle name. I did consider omitting my middle name, but I was worried problems might arise if it didn't match other forms of ID where it might be necessary. It's been awkward having to cram my first and middle name into one word occasionally on online forms. I had to do that when signing up for internet and my cellphone plan, too!

I'd have loved to have a Visa Debit card. I used one back in New Zealand, and it was great for me. I tried looking into that here, but unfortunately I'm with Mizuho bank (as chosen by my work), and they don't offer a Visa Debit card. Ahh, well~~. ;(

Uhh, hi!

I recently moved to Tokyo about two months ago as a JET. I also recently got my GAF account approved, so I have finally upgraded from being a filthy lurker, and I wanted to drop by and say hi.
I'm slowly getting settled in. The most stressful time was looking for an apartment. Although I studied Japanese in high school and uni, I still have everyday struggles trying to communicate. Nevertheless, I'm having a blast here.

Nice to meet you all!

Wow an actual Tokyo JET? Not a "Tokyo" but really Chibaragi placement? Lucky. Although, I did know a girl who was placed in 東京都 but on a remote island 2 hours from anything interesting via ferry.

Enjoy!

Wow an actual Tokyo JET? Not a "Tokyo" but really Chibaragi placement? Lucky. Although, I did know a girl who was placed in 東京都 but on a remote island 2 hours from anything interesting via ferry.

Enjoy!

They created over 100 new positions there last year, and even more this year (presumably looking towards the Tokyo Olympics). Last year was really insane, because there were so many and the contracting organizations were totally new to it; most of them had to find and arrange for their own apartments, including handling key money and whatnot.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That might be my cue to take a long break from this thread. Become too much of an alt looking for credit card haven. Bring back bigdaikon. Got my work trip through Asia coming up too so the timing is nice. I'll stop by once it gets closer to my permanent move back. If anyone cares lul.

They created over 100 new positions there last year, and even more this year (presumably looking towards the Tokyo Olympics). Last year was really insane, because there were so many and the contracting organizations were totally new to it; most of them had to find and arrange for their own apartments, including handling key money and whatnot.

Yeah, I think they added another 200-odd this year? I lived in a weekly apartment for a couple of weeks while dealing with real estate agents. Blew all the money I had saved on getting the placed furnished as well, but I'm finally settling in.

That might be my cue to take a long break from this thread. Become too much of an alt looking for credit card haven. Bring back bigdaikon. Got my work trip through Asia coming up too so the timing is nice. I'll stop by once it gets closer to my permanent move back. If anyone cares lul.

Aww man, I didn't mean to scare anybody off! I guess I was one too many rookies for the thread. Sorry man, I feel really bad now . . . :(

I'm an expert

Aww man, I didn't mean to scare anybody off! I guess I was one too many rookies for the thread. Sorry man, I feel really bad now . . . :(

tumblr_lqj0302OrY1r2oqygo1_1280.png

I'm an expert

I need to run through a few bits of Macau/HK/TW for client meetings. Why I thought about stopping over in Jland for a visit but that's not a good idea lol. I'll probably take the fam back for the holidays anyway. They want me to stop in LA for the CFN but fuck that I just came off doing campus interviews and I've done my fair share of recruiting this year. Today's also the day bonuses go into effect so cha ching.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i was not aware of a typhoon today

also, congrats to me on picking up noro virus.

I have been wearing my Darius hoody most the time - it's already been earmarked for the bin to ensure all the virus nonsense is gone.

I am sad.

i was not aware of a typhoon today

also, congrats to me on picking up noro virus.

I have been wearing my Darius hoody most the time - it's already been earmarked for the bin to ensure all the virus nonsense is gone.

I am sad.

Good thing it's cleared up by now.

Jintor

On a side note, I visited the Kyoto Peace Museum today since it was around the corner from Kinkaku-ji. That's a pretty cool place with interesting exhibits. Not a lot of English but I have just enough reading to slowly decipher stuff. They don't shy away from things, I feel.

They're also showing the World Press Photos winners and runners up there in some very striking exhibits right now, if you're interested.

I'm an expert

Jintor, friendly question. You have been in Japan for a bit now, right? A common theme in a lot of your posts is self-deprecating your Japanese ability. Is there a reason why this is still the case?

Jintor

If I had to guess, it's because I don't spend a lot of time thinking or writing in it. My reading is easily improving the most because it's the easiest to do generally in the general course of the day, but it's still very slow imho. Writing, like, in terms of stroke order etc is getting more practice with flashcards. And speaking and listening are improving slowly.

A lot of it is because it feels like it's taken forever to get to a point where I even felt like I have a decent foundation to work from. To get to a point where Japanese interaction of any level became, instead of a negative feedback loop (you can't do this yet) a positive feedback loop (oh, I understand this without having to think about it).

And the other reason, I suppose, is that it's really not a necessity to live here and speak Japanese, so it's difficult to make myself do it (aside from flashcards, which are routine by now - but which also took time to figure out a method that seemed effective for me). In other words, laziness, which I'm slowly starting to get a proper handle on dealing with. Mainly by finding more subject matter that interests me.

There's other excuses too, but they're just excuses. I spent years telling myself languages were too hard and I didn't have the brain for it. Well, they are hard, but I know I was just being taught/learning shittily for all those years. (Different language, not Japanese, but I expect the principles of learning are roughly the same).

urfe

Jintor, friendly question. You have been in Japan for a bit now, right? A common theme in a lot of your posts is self-deprecating your Japanese ability. Is there a reason why this is still the case?

I much prefer this to the opposite: foreigners who can't speak but call themselves fluent, and call Japanese people racist for thinking they can't speak Japanese.

私、日本語、ぺらぺら、でも、日本人は、英語!英語!人類差別!

They usually seem to know the word 人類差別 too.

Edit: this was basically me 7 years ago.

Gacha-pin

私、日本語、ぺらぺら、でも、日本人は、英語!英語!人類差別!

サブ・ヒューマン・レースの分際でヒューマン・レースを舐めるなよ!!......意訳するとこんな感じ?(´・ω・`)?

Theodran

I returned to Tokyo this weeken and had lunch at my favorite ramen place since my university days, Budouka near Waseda station. It... Wasn't as I expected. Sure, it was very good, but I feel like the soup's taste and texture has chanced since I last had it, roughly a year ago. For the first time, I felt disappointed in going there. I went there frequently when I was in a long distance relationship with my wife (then GF) and I am 100% sure that it's not my memory of the ramen that's fooling me.

The staff wasn't as energetic as they used to, either. There wasn't enough せえええぇs, and when they did say it, it felt half hearted.

It always shocks me when foods I love get changed. I also feel a lot more unfamiliar whenever I go to Tokyo, despite having lived there for four years (I moved to Osaka three and a half years ago). :(

urfe

サブ・ヒューマン・レースの分際でヒューマン・レースを舐めるなよ!!......意訳するとこんな感じ?(´・ω・`)?

そのような(私からみると)めんどくさい外国人の考え方は自分がペラペラに日本語がしゃべれるのに、日本人の相手がいつも自分に英語で話す。その日本人はなぜ英語しか喋らないかというと、外国人は日本語が喋れないと思っているから。日本語で話しても。喋れると言っても。しかし、現実はその外国人の日本語がわかりづらくて、全く理解できないため、英語で話してる。

ということ。それを片言で伝えたかった。

(サブヒューマンとかの話は、もしかしたら私が理解できなかった。誰として誰がサブヒューマンか、誰がヒューマンか、誰が誰に舐めるなと言ってるかわかんなかった。まだまだわかんないことがたくさんある)

言ってることの意味がわかりづらかったら、私が上に記述してる外国人と同じになるって今思いついた。^_^

Gacha-pin

I returned to Tokyo this weeken and had lunch at my favorite ramen place since my university days, Budouka near Waseda station. It... Wasn't as I expected. Sure, it was very good, but I feel like the soup's taste and texture has chanced since I last had it, roughly a year ago. For the first time, I felt disappointed in going there. I went there frequently when I was in a long distance relationship with my wife (then GF) and I am 100% sure that it's not my memory of the ramen that's fooling me.

The staff wasn't as energetic as they used to, either. There wasn't enough せえええぇs, and when they did say it, it felt half hearted.

It always shocks me when foods I love get changed. I also feel a lot more unfamiliar whenever I go to Tokyo, despite having lived there for four years (I moved to Osaka three and a half years ago). :(

guessing from the name Budouka. Is it like 太麺 in こってりスープ kind of ラーメン?

そのような(私からみると)めんどくさい外国人の考え方は自分がペラペラに日本語がしゃべれるのに、日本人の相手がいつも自分に英語で話す。その日本人はなぜ英語しか喋らないかというと、外国人は日本語が喋れないと思っているから。日本語で話しても。喋れると言っても。しかし、現実はその外国人の日本語がわかりづらくて、全く理解できないため、英語で話してる。

ということ。それを片言で伝えたかった。

(サブヒューマンとかの話は、もしかしたら私が理解できなかった。誰として誰がサブヒューマンか、誰がヒューマンか、誰が誰に舐めるなと言ってるかわかんなかった。まだまだわかんないことがたくさんある)

言ってることの意味がわかりづらかったら、私が上に記述してる外国人と同じになるって今思いついた。^_^

そういう体験したことある。
日本語で話しかけてきた外国人が何言っているのか分からなかったので、英語で返したら相手は相手でこっちの言っていることが分からないらしく、お互いに
自分「英語でおk」
相手「日本語でおk」
&#12392;&#12394;&#12426;&#20197;&#24460;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;<==>&#33521;&#35486;&#12391;&#12496;&#12483;&#12481;&#12522;&#24847;&#24605;&#30094;&#36890;(&#65381;&#8704;&#65381;)&#20154;(&#65381;&#8704;&#65381;)

&#12498;&#12517;&#12540;&#12510;&#12531;&#12524;&#12540;&#12473;&#20113;&#12293;&#12399;&#23569;&#12375;&#21697;&#12364;&#12394;&#12367;&#12375;&#12363;&#12418;&#12367;&#12384;&#12425;&#12394;&#12356;&#12472;&#12519;&#12540;&#12463;&#12509;&#12473;&#12488;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#28961;&#35222;&#12375;&#12390;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;&#12394;&#12290;

I'm an expert

can you make that post native?
bonus: make that post anime

I wasn't trying to correct anyone, just pointing out something.. funny? ironic? pointless? I dunno. I know what he's talking about, very well. But, as he admits, he was one of those people. Because every "this is my Japan" English teacher is like that. Why I always said I preferred the English teachers that knew nothing about J-land and didn't want to know anything about it. Find the place that sells foreign beer, find the place where the foreigners go, try to bang some locals, go home when I got my money. The person he's talking about eventually becomes a lifer.. like himself.. it's just the way of the world.

Also while my ego is large, I'd never use the word "native" to describe myself in anyway other than the place I'm actually a native of, which is one country.

urfe

guessing from the name Budouka. Is it like &#22826;&#40634; in &#12371;&#12387;&#12390;&#12426;&#12473;&#12540;&#12503; kind of &#12521;&#12540;&#12513;&#12531;?

&#12381;&#12358;&#12356;&#12358;&#20307;&#39443;&#12375;&#12383;&#12371;&#12392;&#12354;&#12427;&#12290;
&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12391;&#35441;&#12375;&#12363;&#12369;&#12390;&#12365;&#12383;&#22806;&#22269;&#20154;&#12364;&#20309;&#35328;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12398;&#12363;&#20998;&#12363;&#12425;&#12394;&#12363;&#12387;&#12383;&#12398;&#12391;&#12289;&#33521;&#35486;&#12391;&#36820;&#12375;&#12383;&#12425;&#30456;&#25163;&#12399;&#30456;&#25163;&#12391;&#12371;&#12387;&#12385;&#12398;&#35328;&#12387;&#12390;&#12356;&#12427;&#12371;&#12392;&#12364;&#20998;&#12363;&#12425;&#12394;&#12356;&#12425;&#12375;&#12367;&#12289;&#12362;&#20114;&#12356;&#12395;
&#33258;&#20998;&#12300;&#33521;&#35486;&#12391;&#12362;&#65355;&#12301;
&#30456;&#25163;&#12300;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12391;&#12362;&#65355;&#12301;
&#12392;&#12394;&#12426;&#20197;&#24460;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;<==>&#33521;&#35486;&#12391;&#12496;&#12483;&#12481;&#12522;&#24847;&#24605;&#30094;&#36890;(&#65381;&#8704;&#65381;)&#20154;(&#65381;&#8704;&#65381;)

&#12498;&#12517;&#12540;&#12510;&#12531;&#12524;&#12540;&#12473;&#20113;&#12293;&#12399;&#23569;&#12375;&#21697;&#12364;&#12394;&#12367;&#12375;&#12363;&#12418;&#12367;&#12384;&#12425;&#12394;&#12356;&#12472;&#12519;&#12540;&#12463;&#12509;&#12473;&#12488;&#12394;&#12398;&#12391;&#28961;&#35222;&#12375;&#12390;&#12367;&#12384;&#12373;&#12356;&#12394;&#12290;

&#12381;&#12398;&#20107;&#20363;&#12384;&#12392;&#12289;&#20108;&#20154;&#12392;&#12418;&#12362;&#20114;&#12356;&#12395;&#30456;&#25163;&#12395;&#20778;&#12375;&#12367;&#12375;&#12383;&#12356;&#12435;&#12376;&#12419;&#12394;&#12356;&#12398;&#12363;&#12394;&#65311;&#12356;&#12356;&#12371;&#12392;&#12384;&#12392;&#24605;&#12358;&#12290;&#12373;&#12387;&#12365;&#12399;&#36969;&#24403;&#12395;&#35328;&#12387;&#12390;&#12375;&#12414;&#12387;&#12383;&#12369;&#12393;&#12289;&#31169;&#12364;&#12373;&#12387;&#12365;&#35328;&#12387;&#12383;&#12415;&#12383;&#12356;&#12394;&#20154;&#12395;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12391;&#21899;&#12427;&#12392;&#24046;&#21029;&#12384;&#12392;&#24605;&#12387;&#12390;&#12375;&#12414;&#12358;&#20154;&#12399;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#12398;&#33258;&#20449;&#12364;&#12394;&#12356;&#20154;&#12424;&#12426;&#12424;&#12367;&#12394;&#12356;&#12435;&#12376;&#12419;&#12394;&#12356;&#12392;&#35328;&#12356;&#12383;&#12363;&#12387;&#12383;&#12384;&#12369;&#12290;&#12381;&#12435;&#12394;&#12395;&#22823;&#20107;&#12394;&#24847;&#35211;&#12376;&#12419;&#12394;&#12363;&#12387;&#12383;&#12290;

I wasn't trying to correct anyone, just pointing out something.. funny? ironic? pointless? I dunno. I know what he's talking about, very well. But, as he admits, he was one of those people. Because every "this is my Japan" English teacher is like that. Why I always said I preferred the English teachers that knew nothing about J-land and didn't want to know anything about it. Find the place that sells foreign beer, find the place where the foreigners go, try to bang some locals, go home when I got my money. The person he's talking about eventually becomes a lifer.. like himself.. it's just the way of the world.

Also while my ego is large, I'd never use the word "native" to describe myself in anyway other than the place I'm actually a native of, which is one country.

I am now embarrassed and ashamed of my life and will pm you to learn how to be cool. Please teach me. ^_^

Top Bottom