• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Darksol

I wasn't trying to correct anyone, just pointing out something.. funny? ironic? pointless? I dunno. I know what he's talking about, very well. But, as he admits, he was one of those people. Because every "this is my Japan" English teacher is like that. Why I always said I preferred the English teachers that knew nothing about J-land and didn't want to know anything about it. Find the place that sells foreign beer, find the place where the foreigners go, try to bang some locals, go home when I got my money. The person he's talking about eventually becomes a lifer.. like himself.. it's just the way of the world.

Also while my ego is large, I'd never use the word "native" to describe myself in anyway other than the place I'm actually a native of, which is one country.

What's wrong about wanting to get to know a country beyond pussy, beer and money? Or spending years in another country you feel comfortable in?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Eh, we're talking about a very common type of person, not someone specific. There's nothing wrong with anything or anyone. We all fit into molds. I fit in one too. There's nothing wrong with it. Was just, as usual, trying to keep the conversation going. My flight's tomorrow, worry not. -_-

Resilient

I wasn't trying to correct anyone, just pointing out something.. funny? ironic? pointless? I dunno. I know what he's talking about, very well. But, as he admits, he was one of those people. Because every "this is my Japan" English teacher is like that. Why I always said I preferred the English teachers that knew nothing about J-land and didn't want to know anything about it. Find the place that sells foreign beer, find the place where the foreigners go, try to bang some locals, go home when I got my money. The person he's talking about eventually becomes a lifer.. like himself.. it's just the way of the world.

Also while my ego is large, I'd never use the word "native" to describe myself in anyway other than the place I'm actually a native of, which is one country.

Oh right. Nah, I thought your comment meant his writing style was too stiff or something, I legit wanted to see how somebody native would've written the same thing, for curiosity's sake lol. I wasn't using native to describe you.

urfe

Oh right. Nah, I thought your comment meant his writing style was too stiff or something, I legit wanted to see how somebody native would've written the same thing, for curiosity's sake lol. I wasn't using native to describe you.

I assume he meant I use set expressions that foreigners use that Japanese folks don't use too much, mixed spoken and written Japanese, and made some mistakes with particles.

At least that's my opinion of what I wrote.

I personally wouldn't let such things stop you from writing in Japanese though. All part of the fun.

Gacha-pin

Yes, it's 横山家系 (thus the name 武道家).

味自体もだけど店の雰囲気もクセがったりで家系ラーメンあまり得意じゃない。でもそのラーメン屋、今度近くに行った時に試してみるね。

Resilient

kare wa pen dasu

I assume he meant I use set expressions that foreigners use that Japanese folks don't use too much, mixed spoken and written Japanese, and made some mistakes with particles.

At least that's my opinion of what I wrote.

I personally wouldn't let such things stop you from writing in Japanese though. All part of the fun.

You guys both work in offices right? What happens if someone like you two starts dropping particles and saying things wrong? Is it awkward or nah? If that happened where I worked it wouldn't be a thing.

Mik2121

Ah, the whole trying to talk in Japanese and getting answered back in English... I don't mind it. I'm from Spain so my mother tongue isn't even English, and I know most people do it because they are surprised by the foreigner speaking to them and automatically resort to trying to talk in English. If their English is good enough, sometimes I just follow and answer back in English until they hit some block and just switch to Japanese.

Some people seem to get kind of worked up just because of this... I don't think most people do it to fuck with you, so why get bothered by it.

bluethree

anyone here familiar with Nagano? I had an interview for a teaching job there yesterday that went really well (results haven't come in yet but they said they were pretty impressed). Not sure I'll take it if I get accepted, though it is pretty nice how it's surrounded by a bunch of other places (got some friends in nearby prefectures in that area).

urfe

anyone here familiar with Nagano? I had an interview for a teaching job there yesterday that went really well (results haven't come in yet but they said they were pretty impressed). Not sure I'll take it if I get accepted, though it is pretty nice how it's surrounded by a bunch of other places (got some friends in nearby prefectures in that area).

I would like to live in Matsumoto. I've been to Karuizawa a few times and it's nice to travel to, but not sure about living.

Anything further north I've only been to for snowboarding or hiking, and not sure about actual towns or living.

---

About the office question: if people can understand my reports in the office they don't mind, but if I'm talking with a client or something, it's much more important, and my Japanese is honestly not good enough, but with a lot of preparation it doesn't go too bad.

bluethree

I would like to live in Matsumoto. I've been to Karuizawa a few times and it's nice to travel to, but not sure about living.

Anything further north I've only been to for snowboarding or hiking, and not sure about actual towns or living.

actually, the job is right outside of Matsumoto (half an hour). the actual dispatch company seems really good and so does the school, not sure how much more I can take of that country living though

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ah, the whole trying to talk in Japanese and getting answered back in English

recently, my wife is starting to get paranoid.

She's half - Portuguese/Japanese and she does have a hint of that "not Japanese" look, but still, she's completely and totally native level bilingual English and Japanese.

But recently she has mentioned that when people talk to her in Japanese, yet even after she responds in native level japanese, they immediately switch to (usually middling) english

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

She's half - Portuguese/Japanese and she does have a hint of that "not Japanese" look, but still, she's completely and totally native level bilingual English and Japanese.

But recently she has mentioned that when people talk to her in Japanese, yet even after she responds in native level japanese, they immediately switch to (usually middling) english

People are weird.

Darksol

?

maszu

Neo Member

Hey, I'm in Nagano ken. Lots of hiking routes, snowboarding/skiing during winter. It's rather rural outside of Matsumoto/Nagano. Small number of trains can be a pain in the neck. Shoot me a PM if you want talk about it more.

It's a lot of propaganda, some of them even say stuff like Japan did nothing wrong in WWII, and denying other war crimes. It depends a lot on the group though. Most of them aim to be loud and annoying while protesting outside the Chinese and Korean embassies.

Check out this interesting article for more info, if you want:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyoku_dantai

Hmmm If I told you Japan as a nation never surrendered, would you consider that propaganda?

Now granted some are yakuza in disguise, some are not that crazy as you think.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/街宣右翼

Take a look at Proclamation Defining Terms for Japanese Surrender.
Funny the English wiki doesn't have the full text but the Japanese one has the English and Japanese text.
Potsdam Declaration Article 13. Japan only agreed to an "unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces."

Second of all, because Japan never agreed to unconditional surrender, the occupying forces broke Convention respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land article 43.
"The authority of the legitimate power having in fact passed into the hands of the occupant, the latter shall take all the measures in his power to restore, and ensure, as far as possible, public order and safety, while respecting, unless absolutely prevented, the laws in force in the country."

Why, because under the Meiji constitution, democracy and although with limitation freedom of speech, the right to assemble, and freedom of religion were guaranteed.

These things are taught in university level law books. Legit constitution text books.

Now, there are war crimes which some people deny for example Nanking, and cruelty towards captured soldiers etc. And being allies with Nazi Germany is a real stain, inexcusable misjudgment by the Japanese leaders.

But lets be real here, Class A (crimes against peace) war criminals weren't executed, only those also charged with Class B (conventional war crimes) were. No Japanese only convicted of Class A crimes were executed. Those who protest Yasukuni Shrine for enshrining Class A criminals because they are Class A criminals have no clue what they're talking about. Class C (crimes against humanity) wasn't applied against the Japanese. If you want to criticize Yasukuni Shrine for its revisionist history go right ahead. And glorifying Kamikaze, too childish for me.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1021/p01s04-woap.html (sees inaccesible)
http://ratio.sakura.ne.jp/archives/2005/10/24225940/ (the full copy of above article)

The point is this, Japan did commit war crimes. However, the US committed far greater atrocities against the Japanese, which to this day the perpetrators have not answered for. 1944.3.10 over 100,000 civilian deaths in Tokyo, just to name one. That's those "propaganda" peps sentiment. When put in proper and historically correct context, the sentiment makes sense. Compare that to the Japanese who think, a member of the voluntary SDF crying about possible deployment to war is a legit reason to oppose a security law, which content is normal for a nation to have. I'd agree with people opposing war, but bringing up a SDF member crying as a reason for anything is pure nonsense.

I'll just end this by saying this, Obama started sending US delegates to A-bomb memorials for the first time, back in '14 now two years counting. Japan on the other hand, can't even specify who was at fault for the A-bomb in their memorials. Guess who freaked out in 2007 when he was asked if he would demand US an apology regarding A-bomb war crimes, Abe.

dani_dc

Hey guys, do any of you know anything about the daijob work fair? Thinking of dropping by there next week.
https://www.daijob.com/en/cfair/eventmain/21

I went as a new grad/only with English teaching experience a few years back, and it was not a kind experience. IT and engineers were in high demand, not wayward shits like I was.

Hm, I'm on the IT field and currently looking for work so I might hit this.

How are they in regards to English only speakers?

Also, I'm guessing everyone there was wearing suits?

DCharlie

How are they in regards to English only speakers?

Some companies are looking for English language - Rakuten springs to mind as most business internally is conducted in English, but they are pretty rare.

Also, I'm guessing everyone there was wearing suits?

you are effectively having first round interviews and possibly second rounds whilst there - so yes - everyone goes dressed in a suit.

megabadd

This doesn't really annoy me, I just continue on in whatever combination we're speaking as long as communication is occurring. Though, if I find that both parties switching to Japanese would get me what I'd need faster, I find the secret sauce is to simply let the other party know that it's ok to speak Japanese (which has a slightly different effect from asking them to speak Japanese). If they say that they're studying English or would like to practice English, I demur politely and find someone else -- no harm, no foul.

Edit: The comment is generally aimed at people trying to speak English with me when my Japanese is nowhere near native, and not a comment on DCharlie's wife's situation, which would be a little grating after a while.

Resilient

Hmmm If I told you Japan as a nation never surrendered, would you consider that propaganda?

Now granted some are yakuza in disguise, some are not that crazy as you think.
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/街宣右翼

Take a look at Proclamation Defining Terms for Japanese Surrender.
Funny the English wiki doesn't have the full text but the Japanese one has the English and Japanese text.
Potsdam Declaration Article 13. Japan only agreed to an "unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces."

Second of all, because Japan never agreed to unconditional surrender, the occupying forces broke Convention respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land article 43.

Why, because under the Meiji constitution, democracy and although with limitation freedom of speech, the right to assemble, and freedom of religion were guaranteed.

These things are taught in university level law books. Legit constitution text books.

Now, there are war crimes which some people deny for example Nanking, and cruelty towards captured soldiers etc. And being allies with Nazi Germany is a real stain, inexcusable misjudgment by the Japanese leaders.

But lets be real here, Class A (crimes against peace) war criminals weren't executed, only those also charged with Class B (conventional war crimes) were. No Japanese only convicted of Class A crimes were executed. Those who protest Yasukuni Shrine for enshrining Class A criminals because they are Class A criminals have no clue what they're talking about. Class C (crimes against humanity) wasn't applied against the Japanese. If you want to criticize Yasukuni Shrine for its revisionist history go right ahead. And glorifying Kamikaze, too childish for me.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1021/p01s04-woap.html (sees inaccesible)
http://ratio.sakura.ne.jp/archives/2005/10/24225940/ (the full copy of above article)

The point is this, Japan did commit war crimes. However, the US committed far greater atrocities against the Japanese, which to this day the perpetrators have not answered for. 1944.3.10 over 100,000 civilian deaths in Tokyo, just to name one. That's those "propaganda" peps sentiment. When put in proper and historically correct context, the sentiment makes sense. Compare that to the Japanese who think, a member of the voluntary SDF crying about possible deployment to war is a legit reason to oppose a security law, which content is normal for a nation to have. I'd agree with people opposing war, but bringing up a SDF member crying as a reason for anything is pure nonsense.

I'll just end this by saying this, Obama started sending US delegates to A-bomb memorials for the first time, back in '14 now two years counting. Japan on the other hand, can't even specify who was at fault for the A-bomb in their memorials. Guess who freaked out in 2007 when he was asked if he would demand US an apology regarding A-bomb war crimes, Abe.

so those groups that Ayumi mentioned; what are their end goals exactly? why are they always populating and protesting at embassy/public spaces?

petran79

Banned
Regarding the Russian occupation of the Kuril Islands, the Japanese do have actually a point protesting at the Russian embassy

urfe

I think my original post about people talking back in English was misunderstood and I blame myself for that.

I have no problem with people replying to me in English. Sometimes it catches me off guard, but it's good times.

Kazzy

People never talk back to me in English D: ... I would like that sometimes to happen tho.

It happens to me, even when it's clearly beyond the speaker.

-----------------------------------------------

Can anyone recommend any good methods/services to use to ship items out of Japan? I'm moving soon and have quite a few items (no furniture), so need to find a way to get them back to England.

I've been looking at a few methods, but thought people in here would probably have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

dani_dc

So my Asus laptop screen is broken.
I dunno where to fix it, how much it'd cost and how long I'd be without laptop (can't really afford to be without it too long.
So I was considering buying a second monitor, any good places to get some cheap (second hand) 1080p monitors?
I imagine Akihabara has a lot of stuff but I doubt it's the best place price-wise.

Alternatively, if anyone is looking to get rid of a 1080p monitor I'd probably be interested in it.

Some companies are looking for English language - Rakuten springs to mind as most business internally is conducted in English, but they are pretty rare.

you are effectively having first round interviews and possibly second rounds whilst there - so yes - everyone goes dressed in a suit.
Unfortunately some stuff got in the way and I wasn't able to attend, but thank you for the answer.

Can anyone recommend any good methods/services to use to ship items out of Japan? I'm moving soon and have quite a few items (no furniture), so need to find a way to get them back to England.

I've been looking at a few methods, but thought people in here would probably have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

When I moved back to Aus I just used the surface mail option through my local post office. It was a tad pricy but I only had 3 boxes and it seemed like the best option at the time. So I guess as long as you don't mind waiting a few months it's an alright fall back idea.

Jintor

ugh i've accumulated so much junk. hopefully i'll be able to send just a big box of manga/artbooks home and stuff everything else back in my suitcase like I did to get here.

oh and this computer also.

ugh i've accumulated so much junk. hopefully i'll be able to send just a big box of manga/artbooks home and stuff everything else back in my suitcase like I did to get here.

oh and this computer also.

Yeah, it's kind of impressive how quickly stuff builds up. My advice is to ship back as much as you can. It's annoying having to wait but it's probably the best option. Freight is way cheaper than heavy baggage fees. I think you can also organise the post man to come pick all the boxes up from your place so you don't need to carry them to the post office.

Don't be like me, carrying around a 30kg suitcase and wearing my heavy jacket in august on the train because it wouldn't fit in my suitcase on both occasions I moved back from Japan. Bad times.

日本-GAFは私が夏2016年に再び訪問することを来ています、私は待つことができません!私は間違いなくジブリ美術館、ロボットレストランに行ってみたい、と私は間違いなくスカイツリー、ない先生のオフバレルロールをやって海に私のスバルを運転したくありません!

...Anyways, yeah I'm visting Tokyo in the summer. Would love to do a meetup with some Japan-GAFers!

Jintor

My supervisor will probably help me post stuff back, and I don't really mind waiting for, e.g. my 100y manga collection. (Might put some artbooks in cases though...)

DCharlie

This doesn't really annoy me, I just continue on in whatever combination we're speaking as long as communication is occurring. Though, if I find that both parties switching to Japanese would get me what I'd need faster, I find the secret sauce is to simply let the other party know that it's ok to speak Japanese (which has a slightly different effect from asking them to speak Japanese). If they say that they're studying English or would like to practice English, I demur politely and find someone else -- no harm, no foul.

Edit: The comment is generally aimed at people trying to speak English with me when my Japanese is nowhere near native, and not a comment on DCharlie's wife's situation, which would be a little grating after a while.

I get where you are coming from - but the situations are vastly different

Let me clarify - if you were to stick my wife on the end of a phone then no Japanese person would consider her -not- Japanese and switch to English

Similarly - no one English is going to even click that she's half Japanese. Her English destroys most english people let alone anyone in the middle and i'm not being glib here. She is completely and utterly native++++ level bilingual so whilst i understand where you are coming from this is, for my wife, a literal "what the fuck!?" moment.

I figure this is a better place to ask than the visiting thread: can anyone recommend some Tokyo neighborhoods that are a little off the beaten path? My girlfriend and I have been living here for a month (and have about two more to go depending on how things shake out), and we've seen most of the popular neighborhoods several times. Not that these places are anywhere near getting boring, but we want to see something new. These neighborhoods just need to be nice places to walk around and explore; we don't need any landmarks or other specific points of interest.

Aizo

Banned
So many girls wearing J Soul Brothers shirts tonight in Osaka.
What is the makeup about? Some girls look like zombies. Did the concert have a Halloween theme or something?

urfe

I'm in Sapporo with my wife. My first time in Hokkaido. Really loving it. It all reminds me of British Columbia.

Crayolan

What would you guys recommend as the fastest/cheapest way to get to Narita Airport from Shinjuku? I suddenly have a flight to catch tomorrow but I have no idea how to get there.

Aizo

Banned
I went to Hiroshima city for the first time today. I was there for pretty much the whole day, but I didn't get to see a lot. Seems like a pretty nice city. I didn't even know they had a tram, and there are even more rivers going through than in Matsue.

Top Bottom