• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of graduate programs in Japan/Korea?

Schools like Tokyo U or SNU are ranked highly but I've heard that you're still better off with a degree from the US? I mean I know they don't compare to like US Ivy schools but are they at least on par with normal US schools and State schools? Cause I mean fucking hell its like a sixth of the price compared to US.

Anyone do a graduate program or know enough to comment?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You're talking the actual Japanese taught programs or international/sister school programs? You want cheap, go look at the doctorate programs for Shikoku schools. Assuming you want the Jgo degree, it's a steal.

TakumiTrueno

Neo Member
Haha wow. Well if I like it I plan to stay longer. Thanks Urfe for answering the questions. What I mean to ask is, should I keep my current ATT plan or drop it? or some other option?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You're doing English teaching aren't you.

edit: actually I think I know what you mean now..which to geezer me wouldn't even be obvious. But would you even need to sign up for a Japanese cell provider is what you're really asking. Interesting indeed.

You're talking the actual Japanese taught programs or international/sister school programs? You want cheap, go look at the doctorate programs for Shikoku schools. Assuming you want the Jgo degree, it's a steal.

Yeah I'm talking about direct apply like any Japanese student. Though I'm sure its different not being a citizen.

Probably not going all the way to doctorate though, just a masters. Probably in something like linguistics or comp linguistics. Maybe even an Mba if it ends up interesting me by then.

Sorry, I don't really know much but whats a Jgo degree?

I'm just looking into options out of curiosity though, I wouldn't be doing this for at least like 4 or 5 years probably.

I'm an expert

Most schools have their native graduate programs open to foreigners with their own application process. They pretty much all have English versions of their sites. Browse freely.

bluethree

I think I'm going to like living in Yokohama, place seems really nice. Definitely going to take a bit of adjusting after living in Kyushu for so long, though.

bluethree

You ended up finding a non-esl job then?

Nope, but the job is as good as it gets for ESL without having qualifications. I'll be a full time teacher and consultant for a Japanese corporation (the "consulting" part will be misc. English and cultural related stuff, like editing and advising employees when they take overseas business trips, etc).

TakumiTrueno

Neo Member
You're doing English teaching aren't you.

edit: actually I think I know what you mean now..which to geezer me wouldn't even be obvious. But would you even need to sign up for a Japanese cell provider is what you're really asking. Interesting indeed.

Geezer you? Not sure what you mean. Nah, I'm not doing English teaching. I'm going to finish my degree and graduate in Japan. It's part of an exchange program. I might apply for a job there after I graduate.

Not so much a cell provider, maybe like a prepaid monthly plan? I just dont want to get hit up with crazy international data fees.

I'm an expert

The real point is why would you need your home country's service. Wont you be communicating with the people in the country you're in way more frequently? But the truth is now all you really need is an app/email to communicate, which means you just need a connection.

So if your plan had international 4g and you grabbed basic Line or SMS shit..then yeah. I see it.

Most schools have their native graduate programs open to foreigners with their own application process. They pretty much all have English versions of their sites. Browse freely.

I get that, but what I'm asking is are degrees from asian universities like Tokyo U or SKY in Korea less impressive to employers than a degree from even lesser known American universities? Because thats what I've heard but I have no idea if its true. Like I said I know they aren't as good as having like an Ivy degree from the US but are they more or less desirable to employers than having a lesser known degree from the US from like a State School or such.

Like I said I'm just going off what I've heard which may very well be bullshit.

I'm an expert

I get that, but what I'm asking is are degrees from asian universities like Tokyo U or SKY in Korea less impressive to employers than a degree from American universities? Because thats what I've heard but I have no idea if its true. Like I said I know they aren't as good as having like an Ivy degree from the US but are they more or less desirable to employers than having a lesser known degree from the US from like a State School or such.

Like I said I'm just going off what I've heard which may very well be bullshit.

There's too many factors involved in this like what you plan to study, where you plan to work, what school, what companies you're targeting and what their recruiting needs are.

I'm sure each specific school/industry has a genuine answer for you. Like I could tell you what schools we look more favorably on when we recruit native or foreign candidates. It could then be totally different for another industry even though it's the same schools.

I guess the best place to start is find people in the area you're interested in and ask them.

But as to whether some random Indiana State degree is worth more than a Toudai degree in Japan, you'd need to really drill in deep and consider who you're competing for the job against, natives or expats.

urfe

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of graduate programs in Japan/Korea?

Schools like Tokyo U or SNU are ranked highly but I've heard that you're still better off with a degree from the US? I mean I know they don't compare to like US Ivy schools but are they at least on par with normal US schools and State schools? Cause I mean fucking hell its like a sixth of the price compared to US.

Anyone do a graduate program or know enough to comment?

I did my MA at Waseda. It depends what you want to do with it. I have no intention of ever living in the states, and will most likely live in Japan forever, so it works for me.

Waseda has many foreign students. 2/3s are Chinese and a large majority of those are proficient in Japanese. Second and third biggest groups are Koreans and Taiwanese. Large number of all these groups are doing it to enter a company as a new graduate and live in Japan. It's a smart route, but a hard one for Western folks.

I just started the interview process for my first Japanese company last night. This is for a software engineering position. What are some of the things I need to be made aware of so that I don't get screwed over?

If I end up getting this, I plan on bringing a spouse. I read that for her to get employment, she is limited to part time work approved by the immigration board. She has a university degree and is highly certified in a medical field but knows no Japanese as of yet. If she begins to learn, can we expect to get her visa changed to one in which she can work in her field or is she stuck part time? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Also, what's the best way to learn Japanese in Japan. Are there language courses for immigrants in Tokyo? Do they serve a wide range of skills such as a beginner and someone who can communicate but is definitely not fluent?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started the interview process for my first Japanese company last night. This is for a software engineering position. What are some of the things I need to be made aware of so that I don't get screwed over?

If I end up getting this, I plan on bringing a spouse. I read that for her to get employment, she is limited to part time work approved by the immigration board. She has a university degree and is highly certified in a medical field but knows no Japanese as of yet. If she begins to learn, can we expect to get her visa changed to one in which she can work in her field or is she stuck part time? Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

Also, what's the best way to learn Japanese in Japan. Are there language courses for immigrants in Tokyo? Do they serve a wide range of skills such as a beginner and someone who can communicate but is definitely not fluent?

There are tons of Japanese courses for immigrants, especially in a place like Tokyo. You should definitely check with your company first, to see if they have any benefits available that subsidize or facilitate language learning courses.

urfe

She's limited to 28 hours a week. I'm not sure if a company has to sponsor her, or if she can change her visa herself with required paperwork for s company that would hire (there's a slight difference, the latter being easier to do). I know people who changed from spousal of Japanese nationals to work visas only with the required paperwork, so I don't think it should be a problem.

I'd start contacting companies in her field sooner than later to get a feel for what there is, and what would be required. Best to not go in with assumptions that would be beaten down.

As for learning Japanese, after the basics are met (N4, or perhaps even before), I recommend to join a club. Sharing a hobby with Japanese people is a great way to learn Japanese and how to integrate.

I'm an expert

I can tutor you. I'm fluent (I have platinum troph in Dark Souls jp version) and I like sushi. You will need to give me a room to sleep in.

Darksol

The next time someone passes by an international ATM at the 7-Eleven, can you check to see if they accept PLUS cards?

On another note, I'm bummed. The Murakami exhibit is going to end a couple of days before I arrive :(

There are tons of Japanese courses for immigrants, especially in a place like Tokyo. You should definitely check with your company first, to see if they have any benefits available that subsidize or facilitate language learning courses.

She's limited to 28 hours a week. I'm not sure if a company has to sponsor her, or if she can change her visa herself with required paperwork for s company that would hire (there's a slight difference, the latter being easier to do). I know people who changed from spousal of Japanese nationals to work visas only with the required paperwork, so I don't think it should be a problem.

I'd start contacting companies in her field sooner than later to get a feel for what there is, and what would be required. Best to not go in with assumptions that would be beaten down.

As for learning Japanese, after the basics are met (N4, or perhaps even before), I recommend to join a club. Sharing a hobby with Japanese people is a great way to learn Japanese and how to integrate.

Thanks guys. I'll have to look into that. I have to schedule a skype interview soon so hopefully things turn out well. If it does, I guess we'll start contacting offices to see if she can get a job. We won't be able to move until around May when my thesis is wrapped up so hopefully she'll have plenty of time to find something. If all else fails, she can teach English or something in the meantime. I think I'm at a point where I can do things from communicating with locals supplemented with advanced language resources but she will basically just knows hiragana and extremely basic grammar at this point.

As for clubs, that's a great idea. The last time I was in Tokyo I had a chance to go to a concert and it seems like the metal community is pretty well connected and tight knit. They will probably be more interesting than people into retro games and PCs as well.

I can tutor you. I'm fluent (I have platinum troph in Dark Souls jp version) and I like sushi. You will need to give me a room to sleep in.

Do you put those qualifications on a resume? :)

Mik2121

I was going around GAF when I accidentally clicked on a banner and decided to actually check out the video, as it was about how to learn English for Japanese people and why it's hard for them to speak in English:

http://www.eqenglish.jp/DVDbook/vsl/index_adw.php?gclid=CLSarPKopMoCFUkIvAodjT0DtQ

It's kind of long but it comes up with some reasons that I find quite interesting and incredibly 'Japanese'.
What ditty guys think? I kind of agree with some points, but this guy's solution about talking loud and almost thinking they (the "foreigners") aren't any better, or in fact, Japanese are potentially even better, is such a weird way (and yet so Japanese) to think.

I'm an expert

I agree. I am better than them and they should be envious of the fact that I'm essentially a more perfect human than them.

Nothing to do with their shitty English.

Mik2121

I agree. I am better than them and they should be envious of the fact that I'm essentially a more perfect human than them.

Nothing to do with their shitty English.
God damnit expert!

Also please notice that I don't think that way, I'm just saying that this video pushing for that way of thinking might not be the best start.

I think the part about being somewhat nervous is an interesting and valid point, if a bit silly as well.

I'm an expert

I mean I do think I'm better than them. Not in some weird racial superiority way, but the fact that I would never put myself down for anything or anyone. Like some alien godly creature could appear in front of me and I'd still think I could kick it's ass. I could be sitting next to Einstein and think to myself.. Bitch please gimme a sec and I got this.

I mean you and I have been in Japan a while, and it's certainly not just a Japan thing. But those cultures that instantly put themselves down, not like selfdeprecation but like..I should know my limits and be realistic..I dunno. I could never live like that and I take the fact that I dont live like that as an advantage. Something I have over them.

I'm sure no matter how big of experts we were when we first got to Japan, it was a very odd feeling to see someone's reaction to us just because we were foreign. Like did you ever in your life look at someone in such awe simply because they're different than you? The thought wouldn't even cross your mind.

So does it affect the way they tackle something like learning a foreign language? Probably. But it affects the way they butter their bread as well. It's their entire life they're living like that. To some people that romantic, humble, pure Japanese personality is the source of their weeaboo wet dreams. To me it was always just a funny quirk.

This is a tad off topic than the video lol, sorry.

I'm an expert

apparently jland fallin apart without me..might have to hurry up my return. fuq outta here smap

Mik2121

Expert, true about the whole living thinking some other people are better in any way just because their race. That's straight crazy and it has happened even to me a few times (like when I go to the gym and they say I have more muscle because I'm white, not because I spend more time at the gym than them). It's some incredible handicap that they're setting for themselves (not all of them obviously, but seems worryingly common)...

Oh well!

As for the SMAP stuff, I just read about it now. Never been a fan of their music nor any of their TV shows so hey, good riddance.

I'm an expert

Mik just outed himself as not being fluent because no one would ever say such a fucking ridiculous thing while receiving jmoney, eating jfood, or breathing jair.

Im triggered

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Expert, true about the whole living thinking some other people are better in any way just because their race. That's straight crazy and it has happened even to me a few times (like when I go to the gym and they say I have more muscle because I'm white, not because I spend more time at the gym than them). It's some incredible handicap that they're setting for themselves (not all of them obviously, but seems worryingly common)...

Oh, man... I've encountered this exact scenario. I bet it's even more severe for black folks when it comes to the gym, though.

I definitely think there is something to the whole "white person worship" thing. It most certainly does not apply to everyone, but I've encountered way too many people who put white people and English speakers on a pedestal and hate on their own people by comparison.

Kaleinc

Banned
I definitely think there is something to the whole "white person worship" thing. It most certainly does not apply to everyone, but I've encountered way too many people who put white people and English speakers on a pedestal and hate on their own people by comparison.
Cool, leaving for Japan in 5 minutes.

Guru-Guru

Banned
What would happen if you were white and dunked while playing basketball? this is my secret fantasy. don't judge.
I didn't dunk, but my first play in a big tourney here was blocking a guy so hard the ball went in the bleachers. Everybody was flipping their shit. I'm only 6 foot 2 so I played as a point guard back in Canada, but when I went to Waseda for school, I transitioned to playing power forward. Way more fun, especially because everybody who plays ball in the PF/C positions in Japan are soft as fuck (though there are quite a few good PG/SG here). I don't know if you play ball here, but if not, try it. Big ego booster. I don't ever want to play pick up ball in Canada again.

Resilient

I play SF/PF here in AU so I think that would be very fun. If I get a cool block I think a cute girl will definitely notice me so I'll have to practice very hard ugu

urfe

Oh, man... I've encountered this exact scenario. I bet it's even more severe for black folks when it comes to the gym, though.

I find that being foreign is supposed to make one well versed in all foreign countries fun.

coughlanio

On my way to the Embassy to collect my passport and hopefully visa. Flying Sunday week. Hopefully my apartment application is approved, then we'll be good to go.

My partner will be entering on a tourist visa, but she has a job offer. Hopefully it all works out, she's had difficulties due to not being a native English speaker. Her English is better than my native level though.

Torraz

Hey Japan GAF,

I will be traveling to Japan for a year long working holiday experience and have pretty much finished planning with the exception of my first place/type of residence.

On japan-guide.com I read that I will receive a residents card at the airport when I pass through immigration and that I should be able to open a bank account with this (for example with the post bank). Now, together with the card and my bank account I should be eligible for a cell phone subscription plan?

I ask, because a friend who is currently already in Japan says, that one ALSO needs a "fixed" place of residence, like a rental contract in a share-house or an appartment. This would invalidate my plan to stay the first few weeks up to a month in an airbnb or hostel. A

Also, a hostel or airbnb would not be sufficient to request a "My Number"-card.

Is there any truth to what my friend is saying? Could anyone please clarify?

Because if this is true I would need to book a share house for a month or two, get my documents in order and then I could still switch to airbnb and/or hostels for a time.

Thank you very much!

bluethree

Yes, you do need a fixed place of residence recorded on your card. I moved to Yokohama recently, and they won't let me open a bank account yet because I need to update my card first.

However, you can definitely get a sharehouse, record that, and find a proper place to live later and update your card. It's what I'm doing (I currently live in a sharehouse in Yokohama and will be moving to southern Tokyo soon since I found a nice place on the same train line as my workplace).

I am pretty sure you have to update your card every time you move no matter how short a time you are there, so you'll have to go through the process regardless.

I dunno if you'd need a contract necessarily - last year I stayed in a guesthouse I found on airbnb, and I did need to show some kind of proof that I was living there, but they accepted a receipt just as easily. Actually, I don't remember if I needed to show it to city hall or anything, but I do remember needing it for the unemployment office because again, I hadn't updated my card yet at that time either.

(Airbnb isn't great for long term housing in general, but there are some places that will let you rent long-term and actual guesthouses/landlords advertising their properties instead of say, spare rooms in their apartments or something).

Torraz

Yes, you do need a fixed place of residence recorded on your card. I moved to Yokohama recently, and they won't let me open a bank account yet because I need to update my card first.

However, you can definitely get a sharehouse, record that, and find a proper place to live later and update your card. It's what I'm doing (I currently live in a sharehouse in Yokohama and will be moving to southern Tokyo soon since I found a nice place on the same train line as my workplace).

I am pretty sure you have to update your card every time you move no matter how short a time you are there, so you'll have to go through the process regardless.

I dunno if you'd need a contract necessarily - last year I stayed in a guesthouse I found on airbnb, and I did need to show some kind of proof that I was living there, but they accepted a receipt just as easily. Actually, I don't remember if I needed to show it to city hall or anything, but I do remember needing it for the unemployment office because again, I hadn't updated my card yet at that time either.

(Airbnb isn't great for long term housing in general, but there are some places that will let you rent long-term and actual guesthouses/landlords advertising their properties instead of say, spare rooms in their apartments or something).

So just to double check - sorry it's still early here and I just got up, my cognitive skills are still booting up - I can't open a bank account while staying in a hostel or something comparable - that doesn't have a formal lease?

I know my friend was able to open one while staying in a share-house, so I might have to look into that too.

Thanks.

bluethree

Yeah, I haven't tried a hostel, so I'm not sure. I didn't have a lease at the last place I stayed at (a guesthouse I found on airbnb), just some receipts/proof of payment to show proof that I lived there.

Top Bottom